WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Advice on New Interior for my Hallett 240 Open Bow

Bucketlist

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Hallett 240 OB with the original interior. I have two questions for the group:

1) I want to replace all plywood seat frames, seat cushion panels, gunnel trim panels with the new style composite material that theoretically should outlast the life of the boat and me. My existing plywood is dry and brittle (not dryrot) due to its age and does not hold upholstery staples well. Most upholstery shops have told me over the last 5+ years that they do not want to use this new composite panel and will only build with plywood again and a couple shops claim that the composite panels warp (perhaps seat cushion bases?). My suspicion is that these shops have never used this new style material and are unfamiliar with it. I'm actually not sure how they join and assemble seat frame panels using the composite panels (SS screws, epoxy adhesive, SS staples?). So my first question is who has experience with the composite panel seat frame / seat cushion construction and have you experienced any warping of seat panels and have any of your seat frame composite panel joinery / assembly loosened up?

2) I plan on having the work done in Lake Havasu. My Upholstery shops of choice are:
a) 1st choice is Nordic / Hallett Boats- They do great work and they use composite panels but John at Nordic has told me for 4 straight years in a row that they are too busy to work on my boat. I understand that they are in the business of building new boats and they are busy, but at some point you would think that they would try to accommodate existing Hallett owners since they own the Hallett brand. I know that certain Hallett / Nordic customers that I have talked to have had their boats reupholstered at the Nordic / Hallett factory. I guess I just don't know the secrete hand shake.
b) 2nd choice is Main Stitch Upholstery. They also do great work. But the last time I talked to them they won't do the composite framework. But I will be calling them shortly to check again.
c) 3rd choice is Conquest Boats. Problem is I have called them numerous times with no success in talking to anyone. I just get their voice mail. But I will keep trying
c) So my 2nd question to the group is who would you recommend in Havasu (beside Nordic Hallett) that does good quality work and would use composite framework?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
The composite material you're speaking of is called starboard.

In truth they can warp and do on occasion, especially if with pressure and heat at the same time.

The only way to join panels with this material is to predrill every hole and fasten it with screws. Glue doesn't really bond to it, and nails/staples tend to cause it to split, they don't really get a great bite either.

Which takes you to upholstery. If you want it to stay together, you would have to secure the vinyl with again, screws and a lot of them

Your other option is building them with straight up fiberglass and resin, and then gel coating them. But your back to the nail/staple dilemma.

In basic terms, its not impossible but it is labor intensive and not necessarily a better product. I'd personally go with resined wood or fiberglass wrapped wood and paint with an epoxy styled paint like bilge coat if you felt like getting crazy with it.

Just my .02

Last edited:

hallett3

Reaction score
Here is some ideas. This is my vector update to modern interior. I get a lot of compliments. The seats are really comfortable. Upgrading to modern in a 240 IMO would look really cool. Haven’t seen anyone do it. That’s why I did my vector . Something different. Hallett did my mine
1604115697753.jpeg
1604115597911.jpeg

Bucketlist

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. i appreciate it. After reading Shlbyntros description and cahracteristics of the composite starboard I dont think that i want this product and will just redo the resin coated plywood thats been used for 50+ years. Anyone have any other upholstery shops in Havasu that they would recommend besides those listed in the first post?

guest hs

Reaction score
I live in Havasu and I need my 24 Spectra done this winter. I’m going to drag it down to Riverside upholstery in California.