WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Advice on replacing yard fencing that keeps getting wet.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
I live on a golf course tee box and love having my yard extend out through the fence for lack of better terms. Currently I have a brown coated block wall with metal/steel wrought iron in between. In the 7 years I have owned the house I have had to replace the iron portion twice.
IMG_20190602_184948.jpg

Last week my dogs got out as the gate rusted through and is done.
Screenshot_20190603-102002.png

Every morning I wake up and notice my fence is wet. I am constantly watching my sprinklers and confirming they don't hit the fence.
Well yesterday about 6pm I look out and see the golf course sprinklers on and the wall is wet. I run out to see where it is coming from and they turn off before I get out the back door. The wall is dripping wet though right where all my fencing is damaged.
IMG_20190602_185154.jpg
IMG_20190602_185029.jpg
IMG_20190602_185100.jpg
IMG_20190602_185103.jpg

Here is the problem with metal steel fencing. Other than the gate being completely destroyed by rust, the fencing itself is done.
Screenshot_20190603-101940.png
Screenshot_20190603-103451.png
Screenshot_20190603-103505.png

I have gone to the golf course multiple times and always get the same response. We will look into it.
Unfortunately for me I have battled with them multiple times and they are pretty much immune to liability. Per them and the laws I have looked into, they were there first and we came later so they are immune to damage responsibility. I went after them before when half of that huge eucalyptus tree feel into my yard and took out my fence. Called them and got the we will look into it. I watched them drive by all day long and not due a thing to even remove the tree. Then they called to say not their problem. I called a bunch of buddies and drug the tree on to the tee box and made it their problem. Then ate the cost to rebuild the fence.

So, here I am again looking to replace all the damage. I am hesitant to go wrought iron so I'm looking for some braintrust advice.
Chainlink would look like a prison, wood won't last here in Arizona, vinyl won't either, plexiglass won't survive the sun and water. What else could I do?

And yes I will be talking to the golf course again to fix their sprinklers. Just now looking at the pictures I figured out why the water is getting my fence and drenching about 30' into my yard.
There are 2 high powered sprinklers outside my fence on the corners of my lot. The eucalyptus was the giveaway. The left side of the tree was dry but the right was drenched. The water must be hitting that tree and ricocheting right onto my fence and into my yard. I just need to see it happen now.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, my first options are going to cost a lot on the initial, but would last a long time. You could do the same fence type out of stainless, could switch out to stainless cable type horizontal, or have new fence made and then powder coat before install. That's the best I can figure...all I have is "no-climb" and barb wire on my fence though...

Icky

Reaction score
Remake it in stainless and be done with it, or go change the sprinkler head out

hallett21

Reaction score
Stainless aircraft cable with powdered coated posts would be a good fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
It will cost more but Aluminum would solve the issue. Yes it will eventually corrode but will probably outlive your time at the house.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I have steel fence like that at my old house...it's not bad if you keep up on it. The "OEM" paint that the sections come with is crap. I'm also not a fan of powdercoat. I spent a week about 5 years ago wire wheeling the whole thing down to bare metal, repaired as needed, then followed up with 3 coats of rustoleum "Rusty metal primer" and 3 coats of industrial white. About once a year I spend a few hours fixing spots that are starting to rust stain, but it looks like new with minimal maintenance since I repainted it 5 years ago.

sirbob

Reaction score
It took 7 years to see it was from their sprinkler?

I would be out there fixing their sprinkler for them - it could be as easy as turning the head by hand or using a screw driver to screw closed the spray head.

Or it could get a little more complicated ,like digging it up and capping it and then burying it, making as little disruption as possible so nobody notices any change. If I capped it I would do it under ground to avoid detection.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
If you go wrought iron again pay to have it galvanized dipped then paint over that. We had to do that all the time for fences at certain locations (schools/parks/etc).

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
It took 7 years to see it was from their sprinkler?

I would be out there fixing their sprinkler for them - it could be as easy as turning the head by hand or using a screw driver to screw closed the spray head.

Or it could get a little more complicated ,like digging it up and capping it and then burying it, making as little disruption as possible so nobody notices any change. If I capped it I would do it under ground to avoid detection.
Mehhh… he could go spend a few bucks on some super glue and fix that issue real quick... sprinkler still in place... just isn't working for some reason. How weird.

KevinR

Reaction score
Those are industrial, golf course specific irrigation heads. About 6 inches diameter and pops up. Unfortunately, highly unnlikely you can cap it or adjust it.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Those are industrial, golf course specific irrigation heads. About 6 inches diameter and pops up. Unfortunately, highly unnlikely you can cap it or adjust it.
How about some fast acting JB Weld? Or.. spray some of that flex seal on there.:D

AZBrummett21

It's a Brummett
Reaction score
I live in Cave Creek and have the exact same problem. Over the last fifteen years my view fence that backs up to the first tee has rusted out twice. The first time it was four 20’ sections and the second time it was two. I know for a fact It’s the water from the golf course and to make matters worse the water is reclaimed. The water is just dreadful smelling and corrosive. Like you the course has looked into the matter but done nothing. I’m going to repair the fence yet again and hopefully with a little ongoing maintenance I can keep it from rusting through.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
No chance of balls coming in at the house? I’d go with glass/plexi.

DLC

Reaction score
Tempered glass panels
Remake the panels with a different material Such as

Aluminum panels
SS panels

Or galvanized dip each panel then paint. There is a galvanizing plant here in San Diego - San Diego Galvanizing

No cheap fixes but these should last a lot longer.

Another thing is it to get out there every spring and paint or maintain the finish, sand patch and paint any trouble areas.

Nice view!

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Tempered glass panels
Remake the panels with a different material Such as

Aluminum panels
SS panels

Or galvanized dip each panel then paint. There is a galvanizing plant here in San Diego - San Diego Galvanizing

No cheap fixes but these should last a lot longer.

Another thing is it to get out there every spring and paint or maintain the finish, sand patch and paint any trouble areas.

Nice view!
If water is currently hitting the fence and going to continue, there is no way I would do glass/plexi as you will not be able to see through it very long and will really look like shit with water stains/deposits in a very short time.

500bbc

Reaction score
If you go wrought iron again pay to have it galvanized dipped then paint over that. We had to do that all the time for fences at certain locations (schools/parks/etc).
This, with powder coat...

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Wrought Iron would last a lot longer. Make sure it sits above the stucco so the water doesn't pool. I would powder coat the pieces. If you don't mind a drive, San Diego Powder Coating is aggressive on pricing and quality.

DLC

Reaction score
If water is currently hitting the fence and going to continue, there is no way I would do glass/plexi as you will not be able to see through it very long and will really look like shit with water stains/deposits in a very short time.

The sprinkler needs to be adjusted with out a doubt

I was giving my opinion for this question. I would look at aluminum or SS and go from there. Tempered glass could get broken by golf balls and would need to be cleaned regularly

D305C697-1BFF-477E-BA60-A0CE5F00F1BF.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
Another option would be black chain link. Black chain link kinda disappears when you look thru it. Have panels made to fit each section...

Another option....

You will always have an issue with the sprinkler if it’s not adjusted.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Aluminum or stainless

(or galvanized)

A cable fence is a great idea in concept but the problem is you have to put too much tension on the cables to get them tight, they will probably collapse the columns when you start cinching up the cables.

Hang on when you get the price for making that in alum or stainless though... :p

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Wrought Iron would last a lot longer. Make sure it sits above the stucco so the water doesn't pool. I would powder coat the pieces. If you don't mind a drive, San Diego Powder Coating is aggressive on pricing and quality.
Powder coating and wrought iron do not go hand in hand. Only thing we powder is objects that do not see the sun at all.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
This.

Don't powder coat. It doesn't allow water in, but once it's damaged, it won't allow the water out either. Have it rebuilt out of wrought iron then have it galvanized. Paint it whatever color you'd like and touch it up once or twice a year. Likely won't have another problem again.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Dumb question, can it be seen from a tee/fairway/ standard play? If so I would build the uglyest fence I could, painted all kinds of neon colors(facing the course) witjh all kinds of objects that move= spin in the wind, even better if they make noise. claim it's your art. When the course get enough complaints, they will come too you. I would then tell them that you loved the patterns of the rust cussed by thier sprinklers that it inspired your great work of art.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I was thinking that or have it Line-X coated