WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Advice on the RZR XP 1000-4

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Just sold my 2012 Commander, it was a good machine with a terrible ride, don't want to make another mistake.

I have decided to go with a four seater, and although the Maverick seems to be better built and a little less money I was about to go with the RZR. Then I started reading the RZR forums, Wow, it seems the 2016's all have clutch problems that haven't been completely fixed yet, and a fair amount also have front differential problems. Anybody have any recommendations or advice. Thanks.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the forums are where all bad news happens first. Everyone goes straight to them to either vent frustration over a shortened trip or describe problems but fail to leave out the part where they were at fault.

I think Polaris and all the other companies are still working through issues but for the most part the average joe public has pretty good luck.

I don't own one but know plenty who do. Most of the major issues have been self inflicted and some were an easy warranty repair.

idk

Reaction score
They all have clutch issues but the 16' has blocks instead of rollers on the secondary clutch and they are not as good i think they can be upgraded. As for the front diff some have issues but I haven't because I hardly use it a lot of the people that have issues a either leave it in 4x4 all the time or b slam it in gear when the rears are spinning. So any of them will have issues if treated like shit , I've run mine pretty hard for 1500 miles with very little issues. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new rzr xp4k over any of the other brands.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
They all have clutch issues but the 16' has blocks instead of rollers on the secondary clutch and they are not as good i think they can be upgraded. As for the front diff some have issues but I haven't because I hardly use it a lot of the people that have issues a either leave it in 4x4 all the time or b slam it in gear when the rears are spinning. So any of them will have issues if treated like shit , I've run mine pretty hard for 1500 miles with very little issues. I would hesitate to buy a new rzr xp4k over any of the other brands.

Was that a wouldn't hesitate? :hmm

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Keep in mind, the forums are where all bad news happens first. Everyone goes straight to them to either vent frustration over a shortened trip or describe problems but fail to leave out the part where they were at fault.

I think Polaris and all the other companies are still working through issues but for the most part the average joe public has pretty good luck.

I don't own one but know plenty who do. Most of the major issues have been self inflicted and some were an easy warranty repair.

I know the way some people treat these vehicles is ridiculous and yet they bitch when they break. Most of these appear to be almost new units with clutch slippage when new. The problem that scares me most is they way the customers are describing the service, Polaris not getting the fix right, not admitting they've ever heard of the problem, ect. apparently some aftermarket suppliers are working on a fix also. I may just be waiting awhile, Thanks.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I know the way some people treat these vehicles is ridiculous and yet they bitch when they break. Most of these appear to be almost new units with clutch slippage when new. The problem that scares me most is they way the customers are describing the service, Polaris not getting the fix right, not admitting they've ever heard of the problem, ect. apparently some aftermarket suppliers are working on a fix also. I may just be waiting awhile, Thanks.

Biggest complaint is Polaris service. Dealers hands are tied and Polaris is slow to react and/or respond.

You've got the right approach [emoji106]

Patyacht

Reaction score
I know the Turbos are having clutch issues but not the non-turbos. Yes I've seen both have clutch issues but the turbos clutch issues tend to show up before 800 miles and the other ones are anywhere from 3000-5000 miles. I've got the front diff clatter but no issues other than the noise. Shop Parker, AZ West and Bullhead. Get the extended warranty. I got the 5 year. It's paid for itself.
I agree about the Can-Am but if you do any rock crawling like Moab or don't want to take 2 hours to change a belt, forget the Can-Am IMO.

Toddpools

Reaction score
We have a 2016 xp4 1000 & just had the clutch repaired at az west. It took them about 1 hr to do the repair and now the rzr runs great
It has about 10 hrs & 250 miles on it

Hammer

Reaction score
I have not had any issues with my 2016 rzr 4 1k non turbo. Very happy with my purchase

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
If I had it to all over again, I would do it the same way. Rzr!
Have really enjoyed mine, any no question about it, the ride in the 4 seater is worth a little extra money! have fun!

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I'm definitely wanting the RZR, I've heard it's the best ride and that's what were wanting.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
the can am 4 seater's rear end looks hokey compared to the rzr xp4k as well. no trailing arms, it looks like a beefed up version of the rzr s.

as for clutch issues. heavier weights fixed mine and now my rzr runs flawlessly. The front end noise chatter is from a plastic sprague used from what i have read. they switched to a metal sprague early in the 16' production year. you can check the sticker to see if it has a plastic or metal sprague.

i would go rzr all day. more $ but you get what you pay for.

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I'm definitely wanting the RZR, I've heard it's the best ride and that's what were wanting.

How do you intend to use the SxS, Where do you ride, Fully loaded with people and gear, etc???

All have their good and bad points. Bottom line is treat the machine right and generally speaking you will have very few issues.

Devious PowerSports
Polaris and Arctic Cat Dealer

FreeBird236

Reaction score
the can am 4 seater's rear end looks hokey compared to the rzr xp4k as well. no trailing arms, it looks like a beefed up version of the rzr s.

as for clutch issues. heavier weights fixed mine and now my rzr runs flawlessly. The front end noise chatter is from a plastic sprague used from what i have read. they switched to a metal sprague early in the 16' production year. you can check the sticker to see if it has a plastic or metal sprague.

i would go rzr all day. more $ but you get what you pay for.

Ya, I should have never mentioned the price, it's insignificant.

Where is this sticker you speak of?

I know with the turbo you get the Fox Bypass shocks which are supposed to be the best on the market, but if you compare the Fox shock on the Maverick that have hi and low speed compression, and rebound adjustment, to the RZR Walker Evans shocks that only have the single compression. What do you think?

I know the geometry of the rear suspension looks somewhat different, but the wheelbase, clearance, and travel are virtually identical.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
How do you intend to use the SxS, Where do you ride, Fully loaded with people and gear, etc???

All have their good and bad points. Bottom line is treat the machine right and generally speaking you will have very few issues.

Devious PowerSports
Polaris and Arctic Cat Dealer

I will be riding almost exclusively in Havasu which are a lot of rocky trails, but the big problem around here is the washboard washes.

I'm looking at the four seat model to try and further improve the ride, but I'm also sure I will take other people as long as I have the capability.

I always baby my equipment and I could care less about top speed, but I don't want a belt slipping if I decide to go full throttle on a open road.

I would probably look at the 900-4 if I thought the suspension would be just as good at 35-40 mph.

I realize the turbo has the best suspension, but have no interest in the turbo.

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
I will be riding almost exclusively in Havasu which are a lot of rocky trails, but the big problem around here is the washboard washes.

I'm looking at the four seat model to try and further improve the ride, but I'm also sure I will take other people as long as I have the capability.

I always baby my equipment and I could care less about top speed, but I don't want a belt slipping if I decide to go full throttle on a open road.

I would probably look at the 900-4 if I thought the suspension would be just as good at 35-40 mph.

I think based on what you said the XP1-4 would be the best option. The turbo is great for power and is very welcome in the dunes, but here in the desert and streets of Havasu the XP1 will be great. You definitely want the 4 seat machine.

If you want more power we can assist with that...... As far as clutching your driving style will make a huge difference. Make sure to use low when running slow and crawling around. When you take off from a stop give enough throttle for the clutch to engage for minimal belt slip.

I am happy to answer any questions you have to help you decide on the best machine for you. My business is in Oregon but I live here in Havasu.

Chris 503-799-4706

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I think based on what you said the XP1-4 would be the best option. The turbo is great for power and is very welcome in the dunes, but here in the desert and streets of Havasu the XP1 will be great. You definitely want the 4 seat machine.

If you want more power we can assist with that...... As far as clutching your driving style will make a huge difference. Make sure to use low when running slow and crawling around. When you take off from a stop give enough throttle for the clutch to engage for minimal belt slip.

I am happy to answer any questions you have to help you decide on the best machine for you. My business is in Oregon but I live here in Havasu.

Chris 503-799-4706

Thank you, I may take you up on that.:thumbup:

Bigmutha

Reaction score
I will be getting a four seater soon and I think it will be the Maverick. I think they are built a little better, the cockpit is way more comfortable and nicer looking, it has a bigger diameter roll bar, the mid engine and suspension is great for desert terrain ( some people say the Can-Am is better in the desert and the RAZR is better in the sand), I would be getting a non turbo so you get the Fox shocks instead of the Walker Evans shocks and you can get them a little cheaper than the RAZR. I like how you can change the belt on the RAZR, it's way easier ( 30 min compared to two hrs on the Maverick). Whatever I buy I will be getting the extended warranty.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Ya, I should have never mentioned the price, it's insignificant.

Where is this sticker you speak of?

I know with the turbo you get the Fox Bypass shocks which are supposed to be the best on the market, but if you compare the Fox shock on the Maverick that have hi and low speed compression, and rebound adjustment, to the RZR Walker Evans shocks that only have the single compression. What do you think?

I know the geometry of the rear suspension looks somewhat different, but the wheelbase, clearance, and travel are virtually identical.

Sticker is on the front differential. If it has this number 1333344 do not buy it. That is the plastic sprague variation that is making all the front end chatter etc.

The stock shocks on the maverick are definitely nicer than that stock rzr shocks. Buying the turbo version would fix that but you are not interested. Honestly, the walker evans shocks have performed flawlessly for me thus far. With the ability to adjust them in the field easily you can dial in a setting that works for you and they will probably never be a disappointment. If they do look up a company called shock therapy and have them work their magic.

If it were me I would go RZR 4 seater all day long. :thumbsup

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Sticker is on the front differential. If it has this number 1333344 do not buy it. That is the plastic sprague variation that is making all the front end chatter etc.

The stock shocks on the maverick are definitely nicer than that stock rzr shocks. Buying the turbo version would fix that but you are not interested. Honestly, the walker evans shocks have performed flawlessly for me thus far. With the ability to adjust them in the field easily you can dial in a setting that works for you and they will probably never be a disappointment. If they do look up a company called shock therapy and have them work their magic.

If it were me I would go RZR 4 seater all day long. :thumbsup

I'm leaning that way, and thanks for the info on the front end.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I will be getting a four seater soon and I think it will be the Maverick. I think they are built a little better, the cockpit is way more comfortable and nicer looking, it has a bigger diameter roll bar, the mid engine and suspension is great for desert terrain ( some people say the Can-Am is better in the desert and the RAZR is better in the sand), I would be getting a non turbo so you get the Fox shocks instead of the Walker Evans shocks and you can get them a little cheaper than the RAZR. I like how you can change the belt on the RAZR, it's way easier ( 30 min compared to two hrs on the Maverick). Whatever I buy I will be getting the extended warranty.

I agree with you, plus a one piece frame and more torque, bead lock wheels and a few other things is what's making the choice so tough. One of the dealers told me to wait until August or Sept. for better deals, in the meantime I'm going to schedule some good demo rides.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I know the Turbos are having clutch issues but not the non-turbos. Yes I've seen both have clutch issues but the turbos clutch issues tend to show up before 800 miles and the other ones are anywhere from 3000-5000 miles. I've got the front diff clatter but no issues other than the noise. Shop Parker, AZ West and Bullhead. Get the extended warranty. I got the 5 year. It's paid for itself.
I agree about the Can-Am but if you do any rock crawling like Moab or don't want to take 2 hours to change a belt, forget the Can-Am IMO.

Yesterday I spent about an hour talking to a mechanic that has owned several RZR's and Mavericks, and been a factory tech for both brands and currently works on both. He didn't go into to much detail on the turbo clutch problem other than to say it's more involved than the non turbo. The non turbo clutch problem can show up early on, but is an easy fix, also said the front end noise is no big deal and they almost never fail.

After telling me many reasons why the Can Am is better, he told me to buy the "RZR" which is what he currently owns(in a highly modified form). He said even stock it's built well enough, reliable enough, and it's more fun and rides better.:D

He also said very few people would be disappointed with the newer Mavericks.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
what did he say was the easy fix for the 16 non turbo clutch problem out of curiosity? weights?

FreeBird236

Reaction score
what did he say was the easy fix for the 16 non turbo clutch problem out of curiosity? weights?

That was pretty much it, weights and checking belt and adjustments. He also told me the non turbo is basically the same as 2015, only the turbo clutch was changed in 2016.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score

this ^ all good thoughts.

the 900's suspension can not be compared to the xp41k's at any speed imo.

you are on the right track, and hit chris up... he and his staff helped me a lot with decisions in making my purchase and build go well.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
this ^ all good thoughts.

the 900's suspension can not be compared to the xp41k's at any speed imo.

you are on the right track, and hit chris up... he and his staff helped me a lot with decisions in making my purchase and build go well.

Thanks for your input. We have a line on a XP 1000-4, and we'll be ordering it next week.:thumbup:

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Well it's written up, looks like it will be a couple weeks.:rolleyes:D

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
What was otd price? Two two best quotes I got was under 21k for non turbo 4 seater, and 25.7 turbo 4 seater otd

FreeBird236

Reaction score
What was otd price? Two two best quotes I got was under 21k for non turbo 4 seater, and 25.7 turbo 4 seater otd

Best I found on the non turbo in the Havasu area was $21.7 which is almost on par with your turbo price, the quote on the non turbo is exceptional.:thumbup:

JRS1939

Reaction score
Pretty sure the cheapest place in the Socal and Az area is Coyne Powersports in El Centro, California

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Correct, they quoted me $20970 otd, delivered to Yuma to reg in AZ, 20% off all upgrades, free install. Sounded like the best price. I'm thinking about getting turbo late summer, hopefully they work out a few of these bugs I've been reading about on the forums. Anyone best this price on none turbo?$25785 for the turbo 4seater otd delivered to Yuma
Pretty sure the cheapest place in the Socal and Az area is Coyne Powersports in El Centro, California

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Correct, they quoted me $20970 otd, delivered to Yuma to reg in AZ, 20% off all upgrades, free install. Sounded like the best price. I'm thinking about getting turbo late summer, hopefully they work out a few of these bugs I've been reading about on the forums. Anyone best this price on none turbo?$25785 for the turbo 4seater otd delivered to Yuma

Offer them $25,170 Plus tax on $4,200 for the turbo.

$20,970 + $4200 retail difference after rebates, + tax on $4,200. Seems like they would want to move some turbos, with all the clutch problems.:D