WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Advise for Cali folks looking to move

Tom Slick

Reaction score
With all of the threads about moving out of California, I thought I'd pass on a little bit of helpful advice.

I was born and raised in sunny Southern California. It was a great place to grow up as you know. But over time the walls closed in and well, we all know the story.

Having two young children and my families short and long term future to think about, we made the decision to get out of So. Cal and start a new life elsewhere a few years ago. We wanted to live near like minded folks with similar values. We searched several states before settling on the one we relocated to. The things that we considered were geographic location, weather patterns, population density, and most importantly the people and culture. We learned as much as we could about why the state that we choose was the way it is. Why are the people friendly? Why is the cost of living low? Why are the taxes low, etc. We did our research and used all of those common denominators to make our final choice.

So getting to the point of this thread, we made sure that we did our homework, so that we could move to our new home and fit in. In other words, and this is the key word, we made sure to "Assimilate". We wanted to be sure to fit in. We did not want to be outcasts that barge in and try to change things. We choose to move to better our lives, so we choose to move somewhere we felt we had the best chance of doing so and understood that we needed to leave California behind and "Assimilate".

As Californians, many of us have egos, arrogance, and a really shitty demeanor. California is a cut throat place to live. Just getting to the grocery store is a battle. We learned that in order to survive in California we had to be aggressive by nature. Well guess what, the rest of America thinks Californias are all a bunch of egotistical, free loading assholes. They hate Californians!

So here are my tips for anyone wanting to get out of the Golden State. Do your research before you make the move. Learn what makes your new state of choice so appealing. Learn the culture. Learn why the people are friendly. Understand why they hate Californians. Leave your California driving habits at the boarder. Leave your California attitude at the border. Nobody cares that you're from California. Get rid of your California license plates ASAP. Change your phone number to a local phone number. Seriously, shed all things California. Do not move to your new state and want more from your state. There are reasons that taxes and costs of living are lower. It's because people in other states are self reliant and don't require much. Californians are so used to the government providing so much for them, that they don't understand what it's like to be self reliant. Don't vote for more stuff. More stuff cost money and that money comes in the form of taxes.

Be friendly. Smile. Say hello to the person passing by. Slow your roll. Wait your turn. Slow down. Don't tail gate. Let people in. Don't speed. Don't cut people off. Don't weave in and out of lanes trying to get ahead of the next guy. Don't blast up the right lane and cut in at the last second. Wait in line like everyone else. You are no better than the next guy. Just chill out and enjoy the ride, even if it's just down the street to the store. You moved to get away from the hustle and bustle, so don't bring it with you. And as much as you think you're a conservative, really learn what it is to be a conservative. And vote accordingly.

Like I said, the key word is to "Assimilate". You don't like new people (foreigners) moving into your area and not assimilating to your way of life in California. Well, think of yourself as a foreigner moving into your new state. Make sense?

And finally, moving out of California was the absolute best thing that we ever did. Our life has improved dramatically. We left the shit behind, assimilated the best we could and could not be happier. Good luck to any of you looking to make the move. The grass is greener both literally and figuratively.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
So you went to Portland? Hahaha

Great Advice. Years ago when I went back to Chula Vista for Christmas one year as we were walking down the street I would Greet people with a Hello, or How's it going. Finally my Friend, pulled me off to the side and Chewed my Ass. He said you are coming off as "Queer" or "Scammer" I was so disappoined and my feeling were hurt a bit. I could not understand that mentality, but if it was that way back then, how it must be now.

I don't care how nice the Weather is, I'm not living like that for Money Or Weather. There are so many places where Total strangers will stop to help you or your Family if needed.

This Post hit it on the Head. The phone #'s are a dead give away.

gqchris

Reaction score
I require and expect Zero help from the state of California. Nor would I expect anything from any future state I decide to move to.

The areas to escape the liberal cancer are getting smaller and smaller by the second. We can see as this work from home model becomes a way of life, people are infecting all the great states and its only a matter of time before they too become mini cali's.

I used to think I wanted to move to Havasu one day, not so much anymore.

Its only going to get worse, and I am afraid to say that just because people move to another state doesn't mean their attitudes or shitty habits are going to change with it.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
With all of the threads about moving out of California, I thought I'd pass on a little bit of helpful advice.

I was born and raised in sunny Southern California. It was a great place to grow up as you know. But over time the walls closed in and well, we all know the story.

Having two young children and my families short and long term future to think about, we made the decision to get out of So. Cal and start a new life elsewhere a few years ago. We wanted to live near like minded folks with similar values. We searched several states before settling on the one we relocated to. The things that we considered were geographic location, weather patterns, population density, and most importantly the people and culture. We learned as much as we could about why the state that we choose was the way it is. Why are the people friendly? Why is the cost of living low? Why are the taxes low, etc. We did our research and used all of those common denominators to make our final choice.

So getting to the point of this thread, we made sure that we did our homework, so that we could move to our new home and fit in. In other words, and this is the key word, we made sure to "Assimilate". We wanted to be sure to fit in. We did not want to be outcasts that barge in and try to change things. We choose to move to better our lives, so we choose to move somewhere we felt we had the best chance of doing so and understood that we needed to leave California behind and "Assimilate".

As Californians, many of us have egos, arrogance, and a really shitty demeanor. California is a cut throat place to live. Just getting to the grocery store is a battle. We learned that in order to survive in California we had to be aggressive by nature. Well guess what, the rest of America thinks Californias are all a bunch of egotistical, free loading assholes. They hate Californians!

So here are my tips for anyone wanting to get out of the Golden State. Do your research before you make the move. Learn what makes your new state of choice so appealing. Learn the culture. Learn why the people are friendly. Understand why they hate Californians. Leave your California driving habits at the boarder. Leave your California attitude at the border. Nobody cares that you're from California. Get rid of your California license plates ASAP. Change your phone number to a local phone number. Seriously, shed all things California. Do not move to your new state and want more from your state. There are reasons that taxes and costs of living are lower. It's because people in other states are self reliant and don't require much. Californians are so used to the government providing so much for them, that they don't understand what it's like to be self reliant. Don't vote for more stuff. More stuff cost money and that money comes in the form of taxes.

Be friendly. Smile. Say hello to the person passing by. Slow your roll. Wait your turn. Slow down. Don't tail gate. Let people in. Don't speed. Don't cut people off. Don't weave in and out of lanes trying to get ahead of the next guy. Don't blast up the right lane and cut in at the last second. Wait in line like everyone else. You are no better than the next guy. Just chill out and enjoy the ride, even if it's just down the street to the store. You moved to get away from the hustle and bustle, so don't bring it with you. And as much as you think you're a conservative, really learn what it is to be a conservative. And vote accordingly.

Like I said, the key word is to "Assimilate". You don't like new people (foreigners) moving into your area and not assimilating to your way of life in California. Well, think of yourself as a foreigner moving into your new state. Make sense?

And finally, moving out of California was the absolute best thing that we ever did. Our life has improved dramatically. We left the shit behind, assimilated the best we could and could not be happier. Good luck to any of you looking to make the move. The grass is greener both literally and figuratively.

For those too lazy to read this, here's the bottom line:

Californians, stop trying to 'Culturally Enrich' the rest of the country. We are just fine how we are :p

Thanks Tom, well put thoughts. 🤙

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Change my area code ?

Hell, I wore this shirt when bar hopping visiting my friend in Idaho :D

My buddy wasn't super hot on my choice of attire. He said camo is the only acceptable color there

1611337145464.png

Last edited:

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I require and expect Zero help from the state of California. Nor would I expect anything from any future state I decide to move to.

The areas to escape the liberal cancer are getting smaller and smaller by the second. We can see as this work from home model becomes a way of life, people are infecting all the great states and its only a matter of time before they too become mini cali's.

I used to think I wanted to move to Havasu one day, not so much anymore.

Its only going to get worse, and I am afraid to say that just because people move to another state doesn't mean their attitudes or shitty habits are going to change with it.
Amen

LowRiver2

Reaction score
While a good post, two things :
1. Pretty sure 90% of RDP inmates think exactly this way and will do the same things.

2.The pessimist (based on my reality), looks at this post and then takes out “other state”, and insetrts glamis🤣. The point being most try to do the right thing but the few screw it up to tarnish the majority (Glamis/trash, Other states/arrogance

I remember all the Ca expatriates saying the same thing in the 90’s when they moved to Oregon
It obviously didn’t work as Oregon (Portland,it’s suburbs) got the illness of californication.
Hate to say the truth but the cancer that is Ca. Is spreading, best of luck to those that can slow it down.

Last edited:

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
200 people a day move to Phoenix metro and 212 people a day move to Dallas metro... Doesn’t matter how perfectly you fit in and vote... Population growth will turn great places to live into crowded places to live.

clarence

Reaction score
Years ago when I went back to Chula Vista for Christmas one year as we were walking down the street I would Greet people with a Hello, or How's it going. Finally my Friend, pulled me off to the side and Chewed my Ass. He said you are coming off as "Queer" or "Scammer"

Once dated a Russian who thought Americans came across as dumb when they smiled at strangers (because strangers were only looking to take advantage of you) or arrogant (because they could afford to be ripped off).

Low Trust societies suck.

Cdog

Reaction score
Every time I meet a "CA Asshole" It's either some carpet bagger thats not a CA native or "I think I'm better than anyone else wanna be yuppie/Usually a woman" or some flat biller with a I'm too cool attitude.

Some of my best friends are still there in CA. Real people of almost all races that are just good people and friends for life.

I have a bunch of friends from all over the country from racing. NE to SE to NW. I've been given the honorary nod & Invite from native Texans which are sort of guarded now days because they have have become the CA of the 80's being inundated from the terd world looking for jobs. I'll remind you guys that "Karens & Chads" exist everywhere. They're the ones that ruined CA.

The whole fucking country is going to get a barrel full of Californiacation in the coming months. Grease up and prepare your anus.:eek:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
You make a great point Tom Slick.
Words to live by for a big chunk of the populace. Unfortunately, ya don't have to dig too deep to see that people ain't been following your example.
Funny thing is tho, as far as the behavior and attitude part, these were the accepted and expect norms in behaivor and attitude of rural northern California for over 40 years. As I read your suggestions I was saying to myself, "yep, we do that, yup, that too, nope sure as heck don't want that, etc.
There are several different "Californias"
I should say there were several different Californias.
The problem for those of us who live in these little hideaways is that the Bay Area/Sacramento and SoCal folks found us, and we have spent the last 40 years trying to educate them on how to assimilate.
We have failed miserably for the most part.
It takes about 1 full minute to recognize an urban dweller when following one down a rural windy two-lane. A few more minutes on the local "freeway" (all 34 miles of it). 30 seconds in the snow on the windy road.
Many times you can even detect it in the line at the grocery store, the checkers my wife has as customers have stories.
And so does Mrs FBT.
The general attitude sticks out like a sore thumb in most settings.
The flight of Northern Californians has been under way for well over a decade.
We have been overrun, politically and culturally, by the flight from urban Ca. Couple that with the cost of living and like many others we decided that the juice is no longer worth the squeeze. We made that decision 15 years ago, but I have other responsibilities and we are just now beginning active work towards departure. I can count 6 families off the top of my head who we call friends that have bailed out in the last 10 years. We hope to be gone by the end of this year, spring of next year at the latest.
Your points are well taken, but based on my experience with what has happened to our little paradise over the years I am not hopeful. As a general rule people don't change when they move, they just bring their attitude and problems with them. I could not count the number of little turdball criminals I dealt with at work where the parent(s) told me the same story.

"Yes, little Turd Jr had problems down in __________ but I/we felt that moving him up here would give him a chance at a clean break, and his/her probation officers and the teachers at his/her schools down there thought so too, so when I/we moved in with _____ while we get our feet on the ground again we were sure Turd Jr would make new friends and find himself"
Turd Jr is a turd. Turd Sr, is also a Turd, if he is even in the picture. The Turd family moved in with their rural family or friends, who had no idea what was coming, and the Turd Family has no intention whatsoever to do anything but squat in place until they can get into the subsidized apartments. The Turd family will be found at Social Services on a regular basis. Turd Jr has no intention of changing.
Yes, we absolutely had and have our own home grown problems, (pun intended) but the implosion of the Turd Families into the area has at least tripled the population of Turds hereabouts, stinking the place up a bit. Those Turd Jr types I dealt with now have a couple of baby mommas and have created his own six pack of offspring, who will grow to be fine examples of Turds as they move through the schools and into adulthood. The only thing that will remain constant is that they are Turds.
And they stink up the place. Wherever they go. And no matter what, it won't never be their fault.

The good people of RDP will be the exception to the rule for the most part, and they will bring good things to their new communities because by nature that is what they do. They too are nodding their heads as they read your post. On the other hand, some of the people here who are True Believers are staying put, which is something to be thankful for. They can continue to rearrange the deck chairs on the Good Ship of State, and ignore the cold water at their ankles while we depart for higher ground

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score

All true. And especially the driving part.

dribble

Reaction score
Everything you said about California is true......For southern CA. The asshole to decent person ratio up here (in non Bay Area Norcal) is much lower. Lots of farmers outdoors people and conservatives. Lots of people with CCW's. Every time I go down there I wonder how you all manage to live there without blowing up. When semi-rural Norcal becomes LA, I'm out. I feel that I would have no problem fitting in anywhere. The attitudes of the you describe in other states reminds me of the people I hung out with a lot at Sturgis. I made a bunch of friends there.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Living off the government teet is near impossible for some to overcome or even fathom, sadly. Fitting in to something new for a lot of people is very difficult unless they have removed their "I'm smarter than you" blinders or honestly are 100% ready to make life changes. Those characteristics usually manifest as we mature.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
The reality is assholes are assholes and are generally unwilling to change and they come from all geographic locations.

People from big metropolitan areas typically want the conveniences of big metropolitan areas and are generally dismayed at the lack of services and or conveniences when they move to a smaller town.

Well, maybe I am a backwards ass barefoot hillbilly but I’m happy living in my Podunk little town. You sophisticated people need to stop moving here and leaving your porch lights on and your house all lit up like an airport landing strip all night.😝

Oh, one more thing if you think we need street lights then fuck off.😂

Andy B.

Reaction score
We want to know at least the state so we can add it to the list, Idaho is at the top of mine. Of course we all understand if you don’t want to disclose glad the moved worked for you!

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Great post about assimilating into your new state. As much as I couldn't wait to get out of Kalifornia I will make one argument:

I don't buy Californians are bringing their liberal values (OXYMORON) with them. People around this country and the world have been indoctrinated for decades (starting with the schools/education system, internet, social media, etc.). Morons and Marxist supporters are EVERYWHERE.

There is no "safe haven" to move to. The sooner everyone realizes that the problem is global the better equipped non-Marxists will be to fight the Communist tidal wave around the world.

PS: The Democratic Marxists WILL flood your town, your city, your state with illegals who, for the most part, will do nothing good for you or anyone but themselves. Be prepared for the flood of people who have limited education and skills with their hands out for your $

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
While a good post, two things :
1. Pretty sure 90% of RDP inmates think exactly this way and will do the same things.

2.The pessimist (based on my reality), looks at this post and then takes out “other state”, and insetrts glamis🤣. The point being most try to do the right thing but the few screw it up to tarnish the majority (Glamis/trash, Other states/arrogance

I remember all the Ca expatriates saying the same thing in the 90’s when they moved to Oregon
It obviously didn’t work as Oregon (Portland,it’s suburbs) got the illness of californication.
Hate to say the truth but the cancer that is Ca. Is spreading, best of luck to those that can slow it down.

Hell, i'd say Portland is far worse than anything CA has to offer at this point.......

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Great post about assimilating into your new state. As much as I couldn't wait to get out of Kalifornia I will make one argument:

I don't buy Californians are bringing their liberal values (OXYMORON) with them. People around this country and the world have been indoctrinated for decades (starting with the schools/education system, internet, social media, etc.). Morons and Marxist supporters are EVERYWHERE.

There is no "safe haven" to move to. The sooner everyone realizes that the problem is global the better equipped non-Marxists will be to fight the Communist tidal wave around the world.

PS: The Democratic Marxists WILL flood your town, your city, your state with illegals who, for the most part, will do nothing good for you or anyone but themselves. Be prepared for the flood of people who have limited education and skills with their hands out for your $

EXACTLY.

And to add to this....

Every time people flee in waves and escape to "safe red areas" - their footprint on this country shrinks, as does their representation. Everyone ends up in 7 states with a minority of electoral college votes. There's only so many hills to climb before the rising tide gets ya.....

buck35

Reaction score

This mirrors a post I made a while back about the attitudes that come with some folks . You moved for a reason and leave that shit where you came from instead of trying to change locals point of view.

Edit , btw the Seattle folk have infested our town and it's changing fast! Seems everytime I drive around another orchard has been razed to make way for houses and apartments. Not a huge surprise as rules are so crazy now In regards to food safety, but returns for the all guy are nearly non-existent.

Last edited:

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Kinda funny, We have called the Central coast a "best kept secret" , as for the analogies above pretty much the same applies Here When Folks visit and bring us boats sometimes from other surrounding states and obviously nor cal and socal , they always marvel about what we have taken for granted most of our lives ;)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
EXACTLY.

And to add to this....

Every time people flee in waves and escape to "safe red areas" - their footprint on this country shrinks, as does their representation. Everyone ends up in 7 states with a minority of electoral college votes. There's only so many hills to climb before the rising tide gets ya.....

Heard a good argument that if all the republicans from CA move to battleground states that would change things. CA has the most republican's in the nation issue is we have more democrats...lol

Its the college educated big city youth that are changing this country/world and not for the better.

RCDave

Reaction score

I feel 100% as you do. We are out of Cali as well. Not only will we assimilate, it will be a natural for us. We already belong mind, spirit, and values to the area we are moving to.

Cheers Mr. Slick. First round of beers or cocktails on me!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Heard a good argument that if all the republicans from CA move to battleground states that would change things. CA has the most republican's in the nation issue is we have more democrats...lol

Its the college educated big city youth that are changing this country/world and not for the better.
You said college educated didn’t you mean indoctrinated? 😂

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
You said college educated didn’t you mean indoctrinated? 😂

I would say that depends on where you let them go for college.

I would bet Cal/UCLA/Bderkley kids view the world alot different than kids that go to say ASU, LSU or Clemson.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

So well said.... I'm raised in Va but been in SoCal 31 years.... I still go home often to keep my roots alive.... Cali has its ocean & weather but thats about all for me.

4czn10

Reaction score
I would say that depends on where you let them go for college.

I would bet Cal/UCLA/Bderkley kids view the world alot different than kids that go to say ASU, LSU or Clemson.
That is correct Cole...Most of our friendbase and kids in SC went/going to Clemson, and they have a much clearer reality of the world. i have heard it's changing a little, but I'm hoping it still will be a sound middle of the road political structure., when my kid goes in 5 years...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
As a refugee from Ca, I really think it boils down to simple things. Be friendly, try to be helpful if folks need help. Be courteous of others, in driving, shopping and such.
Being a better person kind of happened accidently to me. I didn't realize how much living with the throttle pinned was making me that much of an asshole. Don't get me wrong, still an asshole, but not as bad.

We didn't search, we landed. 6 weeks from pulling the trigger to leave, closed escrow. It was everything we wanted. Cheaper, because you won't make as much. I'm fine with that. No regrets, 9 years in now.

Sometimes you just say F' it...and sometimes it works.

boatpi

Reaction score
The Clark County Las Vegas area is closed, besides that there are very few houses left for sale anyway.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score

Who the HELL wants to live in a battleground state?? Except maybe Florida. The rest of them, no way.

Sent From Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Who the HELL wants to live in a battleground state?? Except maybe Florida. The test of them, no way.

Sent From Tapatalk

Technically AZ is a battleground state now and Texas close behind ;)

Well for sure not me but it was a good point of view....You should go and start the great Pennsylvania migration :p :eek:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

They will get tired of paying all their money in taxes soon enough..

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
They will get tired of paying all their money in taxes soon enough..

Sadly it won't change how they vote...lol

My dad loved Orange county....... Poster boy for the lifestyle.

Moved to Havasu 6 years ago. Came back to town last year for a week and ended up at a bar close to the beach. Started a conversation with some young (30) single guys at the bar that were doing decent in life and they were saying that they can't wait until prop 13 gets revoked because it just isn't fair. My dad was like ummmm that isn't going to reduce what you would have to pay and hurt your parents and grandparents. All 3 could care less. ...There is no changing these people to think clear

I think that was the last time he drove in to so cal...haha

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Sadly it won't change how they vote...lol

My dad loved Orange county....... Poster boy for the lifestyle.

Moved to Havasu 6 years ago. Came back to town last year for a week and ended up at a bar close to the beach. Started a conversation with some young (30) single guys at the bar that were doing decent in life and they were saying that they can't wait until prop 13 gets revoked because it just isn't fair. My dad was like ummmm that isn't going to reduce what you would have to pay and hurt your parents and grandparents. All 3 could care less. ...There is no changing these people to think clear

I think that was the last time he drove in to so cal...haha

When those 30 year olds are 40.. they will be singing a different tune.

A 30 year old in OC today was living at home a couple years ago.

Sherpa

Reaction score
we're at the retirement threshhold.......

having PROP 19 just pass, allows us to sell our house, and carry over our current tax rate. to anywhere in the state....

but we'd still be in Calif......

otherwise I'd move to Texas..

--Sherpa