WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Aerospace grade Andy Clark / Maheraja waterski....

kurtis500

Reaction score
In my composites business I occasionally will do things for personal preference. In this case I needed to make something that was long and couldn’t be stuffed in a small over for cure. Also, I needed to demonstrate the possibility of making products that are aerospace grade and autoclave quality but without the .5mm autoclave. This has been on going for a year while I work on other projects.
A few bullet points so you don’t have to read a bunch of stuff and it's long as it is:

-Ive been in the composites business for over 20 years.. In addition to being a professional firefighter for 27. (retired 3 years ago)
-Modeled after the Andy Clark square back cut-n-jump ski. This is close to the Maha 360 I think. Dennis said he took heavily from that design for this ski
-Prepregs cured under heat and PRESSURE..Yes, pressure…not just vacuum. Up to 120 psi
-No core
-tunnel design
-2 piece design with secondary bonding
-Side edges roll up/radius like the original
-can be cut and trimmed where the flatter areas are
-Nut plates for the boots. You’ll tear apart the aluminum plates of the boot before the nut plates pull through
-Titanium 6AL4V TIG welded fin and brackets
-Similar design as aerospace hat stiffener and fuselage skin. Think Boeing 787 and Airbus 350.
-A little foam shot in the ends to make it float. But the boots do pretty well on their own
-I did 100% of the work including CAD, design, molds, heaters and finished product. 100%…
-Just finished #1 and it’s off to other places for demonstration purposes…(composite demonstrations, not skiing)
-HO boots for ease of mounting and comfort
-Qualified/certified materials could be used. but theres no point in doing that for a waterski

I’m sure you’re wondering what’s the point in this. So here’s a few more bullet points ;)

-demonstration of CAD designed heated tooling
-ability to make aerospace grade composites at a fraction of the price. I.E. no Autoclave but a pressure vessel is used.
-Waterskis can be made to ENGINEERED specs.
-I’m not getting in the waterski business
-Cost of the presses and molds for normal compression molded waterskis is MORE than this process.
-This will be the most advanced composites waterski made. Unless you can think of another?

I was born and raised in Phoenix going to Apache and Canyon Lake. My parents STILL have their original 1950’s Andy Clark skis. I have mine they gave me as a gift 30 years ago and others Ive collected.. 6 total. Since I needed to pick a product that is low yield in profit but recognizable I decided on the waterski similar to those many of us grew up on. This one is a perfect blend between the Andy Clark and Maheraja IMO. Now I’m off to other products :/ I’m not selling these right now but if I get the time later I may make a few for others to try. My kids all get the first ones :) I don’t mind questions so ask away if you want.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 7.36.34 PM.png
IMG_5002.jpeg

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
Super impressive. I don’t know much about fancy skis, but I dig the tech put into it.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
That’s bad ass. How much would one cost if you were to produce them and sell? Or maybe I’ll meet up with you at apache or canyon and try this one out!!

RodnJen

Reaction score
How does it handle? I have two AC’s and 3 MAHA 360s and they’re all different.

kurtis500

Reaction score
That’s bad ass. How much would one cost if you were to produce them and sell? Or maybe I’ll meet up with you at apache or canyon and try this one out!!
I wouldn't do this if they couldn't be sold at the same or less price than what's currently available. But I haven't looked at it too deeply since I wasn't going for this as a final business model.
Of course! I'll be at Apache for a week sometime around Labor Day or soon after. I camp at Burnt Corral. I'm always up for skiing and baoting and etc.

Last edited:

kurtis500

Reaction score
How does it handle? I have two AC’s and 3 MAHA 360s and they’re all different.
Not sure. I finished it and put it on a plane to the east coast. My boat is in Utah and I was in AZ so I couldnt get it out. I'm making more right now and just popped out one today. Bending by hand its similar to the wood version but that doesn't mean its the same at all. With so many options in weave angle and materials such carbon and fiberglass it will take more time to settle on the right flex pattern than to actually make them. About 90 minutes a peice to cure and another 30 - 45 to layup. Depends on the prep work. I may also go for a slightly differnet design to demonstrate co-curing. Not sure yet but Im glad to take something obscure but important to some of us and put it on the top shelf in terms of technology. The Andy Clarks and the wood they are made of are getting pretty old for glued laminate wood. Not sure how old the Maha's are but its the same thing there.

kurtis500

Reaction score
So you’re showing us what we can’t have?
not really, but right now..kinda. I may make a few on the side to sell or sell the process to someone who wants to make them. This same process will be aimed at snow skis and snowboards. Those are more gentle in terms of design features. The whole process can fit in a large bedroom. But so could building wood skis.

dspracing

Reaction score
not really, but right now..kinda. I may make a few on the side to sell or sell the process to someone who wants to make them. This same process will be aimed at snow skis and snowboards. Those are more gentle in terms of design features. The whole process can fit in a large bedroom. But so could building wood skis.
Perfect so how can I buy one?

Backlash

Reaction score
Man that is a beautiful piece of artwork right there!! Absolutely stunning! As far as composite skiis go, I would say Goode probably leads the slalom ski market. But this seems to be geared towards a slightly different market.

Backlash

Reaction score
That is definitely more ski than I would ever need, but man that sure is bitchen. If you start an informal list of interested parties, or come up with pricing for the sale of a blank ski, I would be interested. Please let me know! 👍

kurtis500

Reaction score
Perfect so how can I buy one?
I wasn't advertising them for sale, just a demo to what Ive been working on. They will be for sale sometime I just dont know when or by who. It may be myself since the market demand would be small enough to handle. The ski needs a few demos made to settle on a good flex pattern and then they can be custom made from there. I'll have some colored prepreg films made so they wont all be carbon. I have enough prepregs to build some....just need the time :(

kurtis500

Reaction score
That is definitely more ski than I would ever need, but man that sure is bitchen. If you start an informal list of interested parties, or come up with pricing for the sale of a blank ski, I would be interested. Please let me know! 👍
I certainly will. Before I sell I will have them ridden so we can figure out what changes to make. I may make a few and head to Parker on a weekday. I'm thinking I hang out at Fox's and let some people ride em... or something like that

Also, the way these are made they are narrowed on the footpad so a center mount is the only way to go for off-the-shelf boots (narrow mount could work too). I can change the bolt pattern but the nut plates are in for life. You could easily drill and put in your own nuts. The ski could actually be machined out on the sides so you could see through the vertical walls. Notice the toe of the HO boot is slightly wider than the surface its mounted to.

Last edited:

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
Wow. The talent of people on RDP is absolutely mind blowing.

I have skied pretty much all my life and that thing is about as bad ass as they come. I would love to hear how it handles and once it's fine tuned.... I'd be a buyer. Did I mention that ski is sick as fuck!

Backlash

Reaction score

I have skied pretty much all my life and that thing is about as bad ass as they come. I would love to hear how it handles and once it's fine tuned.... I'd be a buyer. Did I mention that ski is sick as fuck!

I was thinking of you when I was reading through this thread! Somebody with some talent needs to give him some feedback when the ski is ready to get wet. ;)

dspracing

Reaction score

I’m thinking there is no way I could run that ski to it’s potential but I’d for sure buy one, even a blem, just to look at.

kurtis500

Reaction score
Thank you for the compliments :)

The picture below is the basic approach to the design. These are hat stiffeners on a composite fuselage. The ski is taken from this although the design is not engineered like the hat stiffeners are. The ski design is meant to be similar but not so bland in its shape. I put the island in there as a reference to Andy Clark. I think theres a lot of room to move in both lightweighting and or material changes. I think an all fiberglass ski would be plenty strong. Similar to fiberglass propellers being made today. As you can see the ski has two layers of the popular carbon fabric on the top and bottom. Inside the bulk of the layers are all uni-directional or 45 degree. Only the outer layer is 'pretty', the rest is all business.
iu-2.jpeg

1tonfun

Reaction score
I'd be in for one as well. My kids give me shit for draining the tanks and pulling out the stick. After they watched their friends on my ski, they are getting back into going more than 11mph LOL

kurtis500

Reaction score
I'd be in for one as well. My kids give me shit for draining the tanks and pulling out the stick. After they watched their friends on my ski, they are getting back into going more than 11mph LOL
Ive never wake surfed. Is it really that fun to make someone buy a 100+k boat to do it?

rivergames

Reaction score
Great Job on the ski! Looks Bitchen!

Funny you posted this. I just skied on my 360 this past weekend. I have 4 wood 360's and 1 glass 360. I love the wood 360's. My Glass 360 feels too light. 3 of the woods I have fucking cracked and delaminated on the ass end. They're now hung up in the garage on their death bed. The wood one I just ski'd on is showing a minor crack.... My longboard don't delaminate....

Did you add any weight to your ski or lay it up light weight?

Can I add my name to the 'list' after your kids?!?! 😁

1tonfun

Reaction score
Ive never wake surfed. Is it really that fun to make someone buy a 100+k boat to do it?
My kids enjoy it, they also wakeboard. I haven't been on a wake board for 20 years, still trying to figure out the surf thing. Nothing better than skiing on Glass.

dspracing

Reaction score
I've never wake surfed. Is it really that fun to make someone buy a 100+k boat to do it?
It's so boring. It's like wakeboarding but slower, less action and zero physical exertion.

Do you have any photos of the mold that you produce the ski with? Can it be adapted to create different lengths?

kurtis500

Reaction score
It's so boring. It's like wakeboarding but slower, less action and zero physical exertion.

Do you have any photos of the mold that you produce the ski with? Can it be adapted to create different lengths?
No pics of the molds but I do have one of the heated plug to build the molds. Its a 350F high temp self heatede mold. I made it with all glass and blue dye for transparency when lit from behind. The plug is thin, probably 1/8 thick. The molds are made from one like this. This one has been discarded a while ago
plug.jpg

Last edited:

kurtis500

Reaction score
Great Job on the ski! Looks Bitchen!

Funny you posted this. I just skied on my 360 this past weekend. I have 4 wood 360's and 1 glass 360. I love the wood 360's. My Glass 360 feels too light. 3 of the woods I have fucking cracked and delaminated on the ass end. They're now hung up in the garage on their death bed. The wood one I just ski'd on is showing a minor crack.... My longboard don't delaminate....

Did you add any weight to your ski or lay it up light weight?

Can I add my name to the 'list' after your kids?!?! 😁
Thats been my problem with the Andy Clarks, they delaminate or break. Honestly I dont want to get on one unless its my longboard because i dont trust the wood or glue now.

I didnt add weight....yet... but I think the ski will need it. My experince with the bigger skis is that weight actually helps it ski better. The carbon/fiberglass layups can only be so thick. Any material added to give it weight will make it too stiff. If enough carbon was in the ski to match the weight of a maha or Andy it would be stiff enough to drive a car across. With a lighter ski I think weight can be added to the areas its wanted..even moved around if its not permanent. I think that will be the case with these skis. Its going to need to have some weight when going over the white caps and etc. I love riding my Andy over the big waves, its heavy and rides like a 1977 cadillac

Taboma

Reaction score
Holy shit balls, I just went on the Maha website --- $ 2,400 for an old school wood 360 or slalom blank --- and $ 2,700 for the special ones 😳 Next time I'm in Havasu I better get my vintage Maha slalom out of the bag and give it a hug. I've never skied a flat-back 360, but at my age, I'm pretty sure I'd dislocate both shoulders trying a deep water with my short slalom 😖--- best stick with a beach launch 😁

kurtis500

Reaction score
27B40F46-C1AA-44FE-89A0-FAAB1B2B50A4.jpeg
B4E45EFA-0F5D-45CF-A9C6-EFBE77923DB8.jpeg

Here she is doing a float test. Finally will be tested next week. This one is all business with no shiney stuff. Just carbon fiber cured under high atmospheric pressure and a slightly adjustable titanium fin. The top of the ski only has cuts for the fin to stick through the top so there’s no cutting of the long carbon fiber tows.

I already had this out last week but got the shaft. After warming up the boat at the house I drove to the lake and backed in in the water only to have the float valve o ring split on me. I way to fix and it was late. Ugh.

Ill be looking for some of you to ride this and share your thoughts!!!

boat527

Reaction score
Just give me a price...

Move the bindings further up and give us a report..

With the bindings where they are it's 25mph cruiser..

Going to hop like a mfr at 35 or so..

Cool ski!

Last edited: