WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Aftermarket differential covers for trucks... good or bad?

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Banks is doing probably the best of a test on covers versus stock to see if they're beneficial or actually make things worse. Some very interesting findings.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
He brings up some good points and its a very well thought out test from an engineering standpoint. Something I never thought of was the fact that there may be little to no moving air on the backside of the differential, making the fins on the cover about useless.

So banks does the test and they win.
Suprise Suprise.
Banks has nothing to gain from it, he doesn't sell differential covers...

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
So banks does the test and they win.
Suprise Suprise.
He brings up some good points and its a very well thought out test from an engineering standpoint. Something I never thought of was the fact that there may be little to no moving air on the backside of the differential, making the fins on the cover about useless.

Yeah the guy is top notch in the industry spending thousands to do a thorough test of a product he has no stake in.

I was surprised the temps. I had no idea the diff gets that hot.

Loo Dog

Reaction score
In my opinion they’ve always been just for looks. To each their own. Wanna pay $300 for a shiny keep the oil in device? Go for it, dudes waste WAY more money on other useless truck stuff.

4Waters

Reaction score
So I have watched all 3 videos and I didn't hear an answer (maybe I missed it). Is there going to be a 4th video.

Reactions: t&y

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Well... there is a benefit to having more fluid.

Wrong, they do sell diff covers. :)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
You've never rode in the bed of a truck, the bottom of the bed gets fuckin hot.

In circle track cars there is a pump that runs the fluid out into a cooler and back in to the rear end.

Brian

I was surprised the temps. I had no idea the diff gets that hot.

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
This is a factory ford, my dad's superduty had this right from the factory.

s-l400 (2).jpg
s-l400 (1).jpg

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
The Cast ones with Square corners could cause a disruption of fluid flow to the pinion bearings which would be my biggest fear and I have an AFE cover on my dually. :oops: The cooling fins and the fact that the cover is made out of aluminium will help reduce temps just because of the metal and radiation even without airflow as you have added surface area to dissipate the heat.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Well don't hit them with a rock. duh. :)

You know that many oil pans are made from aluminum now, right?

Aluminum diff cover? I'll save my cash for a pair of truck nutz :)

Stamped steel covers dent instead of break when a rock hits them.....one thing to think about

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Well don't hit them with a rock. duh. :)

You know that many oil pans are made from aluminum now, right?
Yea, do they hang low at the rear of the vehicle below the axle though? No

Cdog

Reaction score
Man...Thats a hell of a lot of talking to say nothing other than square pans don’t direct the fluid to axle vitals the way stock pans do.

Test data should have started with; what is the target diff fluid temp from manufacture? How and why. Does the fluid need to run hot for efficiency and to burn off moisture? What is considered to hot?

An aluminum diff cover will do a better job expelling heat than a steel cover, but is it a solution in search of a problem?

The fluid dynamics of the stock covers is probably the most important factor to consider. More fluid takes longer to heat up but longer to cool. Does the increased capacity of aerated fluid settling after a long drive release more moisture and contaminate the oil? How does the increased fluid affect the windage? Do the square pans aim fluid to all the vital parts?

Seems the aftermarket covers are good ideas poorly executed.

198k on my stock steel cover....

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Some differentials do not have a removable rear cover that can be replaced.

EDIT: The Ford 8 and 9 inch rear ends do not have a removable rear cover if memory serves me correctly.

4Waters

Reaction score
Yea, do they hang low at the rear of the vehicle below the axle though? No
Low enough, I had a 91 mustang with a 2.3l 4cyl and it had an aluminum pan on it and a rock hit it and cracked it, but I have never been driving down the street and drive ba a rock and have it chase me down and dent the diff cover on the back of my differential :D LOL.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Low enough, I had a 91 mustang with a 2.3l 4cyl and it had an aluminum pan on it and a rock hit it and cracked it, but I have never been driving down the street and drive ba a rock and have it chase me down and dent the diff cover on the back of my differential :D LOL.

You dont drive fast enough in reverse then!

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Aluminum diff cover? I'll save my cash for a pair of truck nutz :)

Stamped steel covers dent instead of break when a rock hits them.....one thing to think about
What freeway do you drive on?
Are you training for Koh? Lmao

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

STV_Keith

Reaction score
When I worked in the diesel field, we sold Mag-Hytec pans and covers. Increased capacity is the main benefit...more oil = longer time to get to critical temps. The diff covers also have a dip stick/fill and a drain, which means you don't break the seal (and make a mess) pulling them off the axle housing to change fluid. The fins probably don't do much in the way of actual cooling, but more surface area is more surface area for dissipating heat.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
In regards to the fluid temps, what I got was that they were loading the shit out of that truck on the dyno to simulate pulling a load up a grade. He mentioned 3000 rpm and 250hp as their baseline, that’s about full throttle on a diesel. Also you saw what happened to the tires. He also showed that graph and mentioned they’re gonna get the fluid up to 300 degrees, take the load off the truck and see how quickly those temps come down...basically seeing how fast each cover dissipates heat.

I don’t think that our trucks are running around with 300 degree fluid temps on a normal basis, I think that’s just the torture test he’s designed.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
The cooling fins and the fact that the cover is made out of aluminium will help reduce temps just because of the metal and radiation even without airflow as you have added surface area to dissipate the heat.
100% agree. There is a benefit, it’ll be interesting to see how much. I have a finned aluminum cover (not square tho) on my F250, hopefully it’s doing something lol.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Since when does the diff cover hang below the axle?

Just sayin. :)
Draw a centerline thru the axle housing....where does the bottom of that big ass aluminum finned diff cover sit?
Hint - it isn't above the axle tubes

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Draw a centerline thru the axle housing....where does the bottom of that big ass aluminum finned diff cover sit?
Hint - it isn't above the axle tubes

Technically speaking, you are correct. Hint, however if you cut down the exact centerline, you don't have an axle sir. :)

Brian

Perrys08

Reaction score
Great videos. Gale really knows his shit.
I have the Mag-Hytec and at the end of the day just like the way that ass looks. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_3984.jpg
    IMG_3984.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 374

Taboma

Reaction score
Well... there is a benefit to having more fluid.

Wrong, they do sell diff covers. :)

When I saw the videos I was curious if they had Gale Banks finned (Or otherwise) differential covers, I couldn't find any on their website. Please share with the class :D

OOPS --- sorry hadn't noticed the crowd already forming around you carrying pitchforks and torches :eek: ---- nevermind :p

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
You guys can’t really believe Gale made these vids out of the goodness of his heart...

He’s angling to show shortcomings among the competition, then his product will address these shortcomings.

This is marketing 101...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Dodge 8-3/4 is a "banjo" housing as well.

Some differentials do not have a removable rear cover that can be replaced.

EDIT: The Ford 8 and 9 inch rear ends do not have a removable rear cover if memory serves me correctly.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
They obviously have seen 2FF's posts. ;)

You guys can’t really believe Gale made these vids out of the goodness of his heart...

He’s angling to show shortcomings among the competition, then his product will address these shortcomings.

This is marketing 101...

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I think I see the first part of your problem lol

[emoji1]
LOL
I'm sure that upon the Very Slim Chance of my Dually Rear End failure the cost of those repairs would cost ALOT LESS than the repairs of the THING you drive just to keep it in front of your GM powered Boat!!!!
LMAO

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

This is marketing 101...

Oh I agree!

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
When I worked in the diesel field, we sold Mag-Hytec pans and covers. Increased capacity is the main benefit...more oil = longer time to get to critical temps. The diff covers also have a dip stick/fill and a drain, which means you don't break the seal (and make a mess) pulling them off the axle housing to change fluid. The fins probably don't do much in the way of actual cooling, but more surface area is more surface area for dissipating heat.

The mag hytecs I have we’re floating around DD before you guys closed. ;-)

Along with a few turbos and junk too.

And ya...people overthink oiling, IMO.

Taboma

Reaction score

This is marketing 101...

Well them I hope he finishes the series, cuz right now he's left us hanging with what doesn't help, not what does :D

rvrrun

Reaction score
7D4E7781-9D69-495B-A614-8F80BFE0C656.jpeg
77B8B0A7-2B0B-4E72-A3A8-A5FC1BB446E2.jpeg
Dodge 8-3/4 is a "banjo" housing as well.
The banjo would be early ford closed drivelines with bolt on axle tubes. The name comes from the side view of the center section. Unfortunately, the clock and table I'm building are the only two pics of these I have on the phone.

Last edited:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Ford and Dodge both have drop out center section gearsets called pumpkins, as far as I know the housings were called banjo housings.

Most famously, the Dodge 8-3/4 and Ford 9".

The banjo would be early ford closed drivelines with bolt on axle tubes. The name comes from the side view of the center section. Unfortunately, the clock and table I'm building are the only two pics of these I have on the phone.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Ford and Dodge both have drop out center section gearsets called pumpkins, as far as I know the housings were called banjo housings.
Yes they do, and I’ve never heard them called that. The one I posted above is the only type of rear I’ve ever heard referred to as banjo.

thmterry

Reaction score
I thought the reason for the test was to see if these covers stole any horsepower through the drive train?

HavaToon

Reaction score

Most famously, the Dodge 8-3/4 and Ford 9".

The drop out center sections are actually called 3rd members. Pumpkin is the general term for main center housing of the axle. So all axels have a pumpkin but not all have a 3rd member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk