WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Aftermarket wheels on car suck!

Albert

Reaction score
I dont learn even told myself dont do it! But noooope had to buy them. Even some of the high end wheels make a car drive like crap. Oh well now Im stuck with them. I bought them because one cracked rim and rear tires where going to be $1,600 aftermarket rims and tires $1,800. :rolleyes:

JD D05

Reaction score
I dont learn even told myself dont do it! But noooope had to buy them. Even some of the high end wheels make a car drive like crap. Oh well now Im stuck with them. I bought them because one cracked rim and rear tires where going to be $1,600 aftermarket rims and tires $1,800. :rolleyes:

I know exactly what you mean.

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
But they look good! Thats what got me in trouble with my ex, she was full of after market parts. . .

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Just lost all in less than a year on a clients Bentayga. Forgiato is replacing them.
E0ACE678-B5CA-41FE-A02B-35E928D6C2B6.jpeg
8CBE0E86-CF17-4934-80A3-B8E660AC7AB5.jpeg
A84219D4-D74D-4AEF-8E43-CA96FA52DC79.jpeg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
All but a few, completely made in china. American Eagle was the last hold out.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
That...... Scares me just a little. I was complaining about having two mildly bent factory rims on my SHO that I need to get straightened. One has been bent for a while but one is new. The roads here in the delta are "special" to say the least. It probably has something to do with the fact that there is nothing solid out here to use as a base. At least they are not cracking though. That would be just what I need on the levee, have a rim fully crack out.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
The molds, I never machined the wheels.

But, yeap, and I could see the writing on the wall. I wanted to make sure I was left holding the bag on my terms, not theirs.

Last time I went by there, nothing in the toolroom had been used in years and there was a thick layer of dust on EVERYTHING. Now I hear the property had been vacated and sold. Pretty sad.

Brian

spoken by a guy who used to make wheels ..... until it all went to chinka.

For once I'm keeping my ride just like the General built it. No aftermarket wheels, no lift kits and no hassles.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Had two chrome steel dually wheels crack, 180° apart, from the hole in the rim to the weld. Never knew why.

16" dually front wheels.

Dan'l

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
You guys reap what you sow, you want cheeeep shit, and now you got it.

Many (not all) of the OEM wheels are made in the same foreign factories that many aftermarket wheels are made in. I was kind of amazed to find this out. There are surprisingly few places that manufacture wheels at a large scale these days.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Many (not all) of the OEM wheels are made in the same foreign factories that many aftermarket wheels are made in. I was kind of amazed to find this out. There are surprisingly few places that manufacture wheels at a large scale these days.

Same with brake rotors and calipers. I bet leafs, coils, knuckles, spindles, and crossmembers come from the foreign lands also.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
True story.

Insert Enkei

When I started at American Eagle, they did their own engineering and wheel designing, molds, tooling, melting the ingot, CPC casting, machining, polishing. Everything but chroming.

In the later years they did everything, even chroming.

24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.

Ultra wheels sold out, and later American racing.

American Eagle was the last hold out.

Brian

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
True story.

Insert Enkei

When I started there, American Eagle did almost all in house. In the later years they did everything, even chroming.

24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.

Brian

My friend has his own wheel line for Toyota trucks primarily. His wheels are made in the same factory that makes a bunch of OEM Toyota wheels. He pays an extra $6 per wheel in upgraded QC and materials than Toyota does for their own wheels.

I'm sure Toyota gets a different price than him, But for him the "Toyota OE wheel manufacturing" process was $6 cheaper than what he does for his wheels.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Unless he is buying 1000s of wheels at a time, I find it hard to believe they alter the metallurgy in the wheel, as that is a serious undertaking. Perhaps they 100% inspect each wheel they ship to your friend, that is about it. Especially for $6 a wheel.

Brian

My friend has his own wheel line for Toyota trucks primarily. His wheels are made in the same factory that makes a bunch of OEM Toyota wheels. He pays an extra $6 per wheel in upgraded QC and materials than Toyota does for their own wheels.

I'm sure Toyota gets a different price than him, But for him the "Toyota OE wheel manufacturing" process was $6 cheaper than what he does for his wheels.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Unless he is buying 1000s of wheels at a time, I find it hard to believe they alter the metallurgy in the wheel, as that is a serious undertaking. Perhaps they 100% inspect each wheel they ship to your friend, that is about it. Especially for $6 a wheel.

Brian

He does buy 1000s at a time.

You are correct, metallurgy is the same. It is better machining (more machine time perhaps.. don't know the details there?), coatings, and better inspection than he pays for.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Perhaps.

He does buy 1000s at a time.

You are correct, metallurgy is the same. It is better machining (more machine time perhaps.. don't know the details there?), coatings, and better inspection than he pays for.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Had two chrome steel dually wheels crack, 180° apart, from the hole in the rim to the weld. Never knew why.

16" dually front wheels.

Dan'l
Back when I was working on big rigs chrome on the steering axle were a big no-no. Painted steel or Alcoas only on the front. Chrome was for drivers and trailers.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
MAGA! Maybe those wheels will be made in the good ol USA again in the future. I am hopeful!

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Back when I was working on big rigs chrome on the steering axle were a big no-no. Painted steel or Alcoas only on the front. Chrome was for drivers and trailers.

It was just a '77 C-30 pick-up.
Never knew about the steer axle and chrome.

The Pete still has 11.00x22's in chrome, front axle. I guess time for Alcoa 11-24.5's

Dan'l

buck35

Reaction score
When I worked at Alcoa we shipped a shitton of ingots to california to a wheel manufacturer. 500# ERS I think,it's been a while .

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
When I worked at Alcoa we shipped a shitton of ingots to california to a wheel manufacturer. 500# ERS I think,it's been a while .

Probably was prime wheel in Gardena?
Big place
OR

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
No mention of those wheels being lug centric? I would hope not but...

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

Is this him? https://www.stealthcustomseries.com/collections/toyota

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Yep, most all are no good. Not always true/balanced etc. Bend easier you name it.

I have one set of aftermarkets that a superb. 3 piece BBS wheels. Hurt the wallet- You get what you pay for.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at some Schott Throttle wheels for my 70 c10.

Dana757

Reaction score
MAGA!!! View attachment 766651

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
their material cost went up. Domestic goes up when import goes up. Was just talking to my supplier about it yesterday. He said there will always be a spread between cost of domestic vs import. Pretty upstanding of them to not raise prices. We haven't either but only because we can't due to competition. It's hitting us on the back end though but it is what it is.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with aftermarket wheels either in ride or breakage. I guess I've been lucky...