WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Aftermarket wheels on car suck!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

True, but lets be realistic.. One broken wheel pic is on an AutoX course - It had been driven hard. The others look like crashes.

In a race or track car wheels ARE wear items.

I killed a cheap cast wheel on the racetrack... But I bought 7 of them when I switched to them. Now I have 6. :)

I've ran cheap cast wheels that break, and expensive top quality wheels that bend. The end result is the same. That is not to say all cast wheels are created equal either. Some are truly crappy, but others are decent.

09048FBE-1445-4BB4-AAB4-62DFDA0336E3.jpeg

Last edited:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Once the original owner sold they went into the toilet, so ya ecstatic.
It was/is a family run business started in the 70s. Are you sure you aren't confusing it with American Racing?

Cdog

Reaction score
I tried a set of the A8 Audi knock offs from a shop in Anaheim on our old q7. The rims had a vibration run out issue so I returned them and bought a set of factory 20’s off another guy in Costa Mesa.

China crap.....those people can fuck up a wet dream.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Once the original owner sold they went into the toilet, so ya ecstatic.

The original owner died around 2006 and the son had been running the company for at least 10 years prior to that.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
True, but lets be realistic.. One broken wheel pic is on an AutoX course - It had been driven hard. The others look like crashes.

I killed a cheap cast wheel on the racetrack... But I bought 7 of them when I switched to them. Now I have 6. :)

I've ran cheap cast wheels that break, and expensive top quality wheels that bend. The end result is the same. That is not to say all cast wheels are created equal either. Some are truly crappy, but others are decent.

View attachment 766702
Auto X or not, XXR's and Rotas (pictured above) were notorious for failing under normal circumstances. It was a huge thing back on nasioc and honda tech forums back when the hellaflush shit first popped off.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Auto X or not, XXR's and Rotas (pictured above) were notorious for failing under normal circumstances. It was a huge thing back on nasioc and honda tech forums back when the hellaflush shit first popped off.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Correct.. The first versions of Rota Subzeros and Slipstreams broke easily.. Then they revised the design and they were fine after that. I had a set of Subzeros on my WRX. They were the updated versions, they held up fine. This was in the very early 2000s. Those same pictures of broken Rota wheels have been floating around for 20 years.

PVHCA

Reaction score
It was/is a family run business started in the 70s. Are you sure you aren't confusing it with American Racing?

The original owner's name has slipped my mind, his daughetr Margo had been running it forever, doubt that lady had a kid cause she was not a very nice person. We had done business with them since the mid 80's out of their original shop in Santa Ana. Whomever they sold to or whomever was running it ran it into the toilet and it's done.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
John Elbertse.

Margo is a total bitch.

Ray was the son and ran the company.

The original owner's name has slipped my mind, his daughetr Margo had been running it forever, doubt that lady had a kid cause she was not a very nice person. We had done business with them since the mid 80's out of their original shop in Santa Ana. Whomever they sold to or whomever was running it ran it into the toilet and it's done.

Universal Elements

Reaction score

View attachment 766702

Kinda apples and oranges. Hit rim you are posting compared to a rim coming apart on its own due to stress and cheap workmanship. Had an Apex rim come apart on its own 5 north transition to 55 south. Like someone said, F Chinese crap. Wouldn’t want to loose my life or car over some nickel and dime shit.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Kinda apples and oranges. Hit rim you are posting compared to a rim coming apart on its own due to stress and cheap workmanship. Had an Apex rim come apart on its own 5 north transition to 55 south. Like someone said, F Chinese crap. Wouldn’t want to loose my life or car over some nickel and dime shit.

Shit breaks, it happens. When you bounce the rim off curbs at track days for 2 years, and then it brakes on the 55, you just have to take that into consideration. Forged light wheels are not really better, they just bend.

My point is this isn't a good/bad wheel discussion. There is an entire quality spectrum to consider.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Shit breaks, it happens. When you bounce the rim off curbs at track days for 2 years, and then it brakes on the 55, you just have to take that into consideration. Forged light wheels are not really better, they just bend.

My point is this isn't a good/bad wheel discussion. There is an entire quality spectrum to consider.

Hey you’re the track boy with your track discussions. Perhaps you got me mixed up with Spectra. Other than you in this thread, no one said anything about tracks. Good all street driving and shit Chinese crap rims. Carry on!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
....and the people who opted for buying the shit Chinese crap wheels......

Hey you’re the track boy with your track discussions. Perhaps you got me mixed up with Spectra. Other than you in this thread, no one said anything about tracks. Good all street driving and shit Chinese crap rims. Carry on!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I went looking to see if American Eagle as a corp went belly up and came across a few videos. Havent paid much attention to them since I left.

It was kinda cool to see some areas of the shop and catching a glimpse of tooling in the machining centers and molds in the machines that I built during my tenure.

At any rate, I experienced some heartache in my life there, met and worked with some good people there, I honed my skills there and got the bones to start my own business so many years ago. All in all it was a cool place to work, up until it wasn't.

I miss it.

Brian

Last edited:

PVHCA

Reaction score
...and with it 200-300 jobs too. Glad you are ecstatic about that.

they never had 2-3 hundred people working for them, exaggerate much? And if they ever did it was many moons ago. The wheels had been being made in China as well for quite some time so unless they are now employing Chinese nationalist in China, again ecstatic.

PVHCA

Reaction score
I went looking to see if American Eagle as a corp went belly up and came across a few videos. Havent paid much attention to them since I left.

It was kinda cool to see some areas of the shop and catching a glimpse of tooling in the machining centers and molds in the machines that I built during my tenure.

At any rate, I experienced some heartache in my life there, met and worked with some good people there, I honed my skills there and got the bones to start my own business so many years ago. All in all it was a cool place to work, up until it wasn't.

I miss it.

Brian

Back then they were quality built and a good company even with Margo running it.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Oh buddy, I worked there, I spent 10 years of my life there. I am well aware how many people were there, 3 shifts 24 hours a day, there were 15 guys in the toolroom alone, 10 peeps in engineering. Maintainance had 20 guys at least, two shifts.

Everything was done in house, casting, machining, cleaning, chroming, polishing, boxing. It was a badass operation. I left in 04ish.

They owned all their own warehousing and had their own trucks.

they never had 2-3 hundred people working for them, exaggerate much? And if they ever did it was many moons ago. The wheels had been being made in China as well for quite some time so unless they are now employing Chinese nationalist in China, again ecstatic.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Back then they were quality built and a good company even with Margo running it.
Im glad I wasn't around when margo took over CA when Ray went to south Carolina.

That woman was a joy to be around.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Im glad I wasn't around when margo took over CA when Ray went to south Carolina.

That woman was a joy to be around.

Margo was running shit back when they were in Santa Ana, her dad was alive but she ran the show way back when, like I said we had been buying from them back in the early 80's

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Margo was running shit back when they were in Santa Ana, her dad was alive but she ran the show way back when, like I said we had been buying from them back in the early 80's

I doubt that. Perhaps you are talking warehouses. Not manufacturing. Margo never ran shit when I was there, unless it was after 04.

AE had been manufacturing in chino for at least 5 years when I got there in 94. santa ana was nothing but a memory at that time.

nowski

Reaction score
I feel your pain Albert. My wife hit a couple of serious pot holes on the 60 freeway last weekend. She destroyed one TSW 20" X 8.5 Nurburgring wheel and 2 tires. Wheel $469 tires $155 X 2. The other wheel was repairable with a little help from Jason's Wheel Repair in Chino. I heard there is a website for damage caused by potholes, anyone have any luck filing a claim???

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I feel your pain Albert. My wife hit a couple of serious pot holes on the 60 freeway last weekend. She destroyed one TSW 20" X 8.5 Nurburgring wheel and 2 tires. Wheel $469 tires $155 X 2. The other wheel was repairable with a little help from Jason's Wheel Repair in Chino. I heard there is a website for damage caused by potholes, anyone have any luck filing a claim???

http://www.dot.ca.gov/damageclaims.html

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I dont learn even told myself dont do it! But noooope had to buy them. Even some of the high end wheels make a car drive like crap. Oh well now Im stuck with them. I bought them because one cracked rim and rear tires where going to be $1,600 aftermarket rims and tires $1,800. :rolleyes:

Sorry, you made a bad decision. Learn from your bad decision and don't make the same mistake.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
So for some stupid reason I keep putting aftermarket wheels and tires on the boats I own (they do tow better with 18's or 20's) and I decided to do the same to my new lower river beater as I am going through and renovating the trailer. So as I'm heading to the river east on the 8 past Alpine I hear all hell break loose, look in my side view and see a huge smoke cloud, instantly turn my head 180 and see my new wheel and tire shoot 20 feet into the air! Thank God it didn't go through someones windshield! At the end of the day, my boat mechanic told me the lugs I needed for these wheels, but I went with the ones that the tire shop provided thinking that is their business (even mentioned that my mechanic stated I needed XYZ lugs)...WRONG!!! Tire shop sold me the wrong lugs (someone else installed, but he's not a tire guy). I think I am over with that craze!

Attachments

• Trailer1.jpg
    Trailer1.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Trailer2.jpg
    Trailer2.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 57