WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Aftershock Tremor vs Shockwave Tremor?

H2O

Reaction score
They aren't related at all.

Shockwave is galaxy's higher-end in everyway.

That's kind of what I thought...I just don't know Aftershock, and thought it was kind of weird they "borrowed" the Tremor name on a similar size and style boat.

Last edited:

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
they used to both be west cost tooling related but then shockwave split ways and aftershock was born. i wouldnt say the shockwave is whole tiers above aftershock but they are definently better rigged. pass on the aftershock.

dribble

Reaction score
And I heard that Mancinni was real pissed about the name.

sintax

Reaction score
And I heard that Mancinni was real pissed about the name.

Love when people get upset about things like that...

"how dare you come up with a crafty name that plays off of your past history that doesnt violate any copyrights or trademarks!"

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Looks like he got the last laugh. Aftershock is just an after thought. Shockwave is still building great boats.
Lol, he got the best last laugh.
He got out of the industry before the economy took a shit;)
Sort of funny his name came up, I saw him yesterday.

Vanesa torres

Reaction score
The truth about Alex torres is hes amazing and a talented boat builder. The real story is Danny m. And Bobby A. Are greedy people that decided to trick Alex into thinking they were expanding Shockwave when in reality they took that company from him & took hes money . And now the something happened to Bobby A. They took Shockwave from him & made it Shockwave San Diego. As for Danny M. He went to ask Alex if he would hire him at Aftershock years ago because Bobby A. did the same to him as he did to Alex. Aftershock is no longer a company due to the fact that Alex's business partner Jeff T. Was also a Greedy person & also a Fraudulent person that is running from the law & wanted for stealing 2million dollars from Aftershock. As for Alex Torres he was still making boats & boat repairs for a new boat company he built from the bottom up. I believe he's retired now as of 1year ago. I'm proud & honored to personally know this man... he is my father. I love you Dad. Alex Torres has been & will always be the #1 boat builder in America.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
The truth about Alex torres is hes amazing and a talented boat builder. The real story is Danny m. And Bobby A. Are greedy people that decided to trick Alex into thinking they were expanding Shockwave when in reality they took that company from him & took hes money . And now the something happened to Bobby A. They took Shockwave from him & made it Shockwave San Diego. As for Danny M. He went to ask Alex if he would hire him at Aftershock years ago because Bobby A. did the same to him as he did to Alex. Aftershock is no longer a company due to the fact that Alex's business partner Jeff T. Was also a Greedy person & also a Fraudulent person that is running from the law & wanted for stealing 2million dollars from Aftershock. As for Alex Torres he was still making boats & boat repairs for a new boat company he built from the bottom up. I believe he's retired now as of 1year ago. I'm proud & honored to personally know this man... he is my father. I love you Dad. Alex Torres has been & will always be the #1 boat builder in America.
Wow, bringing an old one back. Always interesting to here the other side of the story on these deals.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
What an entrance!
Welcome to the boards, Vanesa!
I worked with your dad for years, met him way back when he was an assembly guy at Eliminator.
Please tell him Larry says hi!

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

What is it about the boat building business that seems to have such a high percentage of unethical people running the companies?

I understand there are unethical people everywhere in every business. And I get that people who are talented in one area (example: building boats) may not be the best businesspeople but...

RCDave

Reaction score
What is it about the boat building business that seems to have such a high percentage of unethical people running the companies?

I understand there are unethical people everywhere in every business. And I get that people who are talented in one area (example: building boats) may not be the best businesspeople but...
Allegedly. My experience with Bob Anderson and Danny Mancini was 110% honest, ethical, and beyond reproach.

Perhaps is aftershock built boats with the gas fill on the outside of a boat and not in a covered engine hatch (examples of shoddy rigging), they might still be around today

77charger

Reaction score

No shit as long as ive been around boats it seems this way i remember in the late 80s my dad went to have some basic stuff for our old jet boat and the repair place tried to pull a fast one then.And its not the one bad person gives the whole industry a bad rep either.I know there are also great people,builders and shops too.But theres also more than the one bad apple.

IMO the good ones are always busy and theres a reason why.

wzuber

Reaction score
That's kind of what I thought...I just don't know Aftershock, and thought it was kind of weird they "borrowed" the Tremor name on a similar size and style boat.

According to Alex Torrez, the former business partner/owner in Shockwave and plug/mold builder and Founder of Aftershock (aftershock was the result of the partnership failure)They "borrowed" the tremor name because it was "his" boat, his design/build. This, along with many other life history/ boat industry stories he told me while he was capping, plugging holes and re-gelling/changing some colors on my 20' Elim. SS cruiser for 8 months.

BigMike

Reaction score
I have known Bob for 19 years and he is the least greedy person I know. He could be selling his boats for at least 25% more than he is but he wants to build boats for blue collar families that can’t afford to spend big money. As far as his ethics, I have never seen him or heard of him doing anything unethical. If someone has a problem with him, he always takes care of it. He stands behind his product, doesn’t screw anyone over, and builds one hell of a boat. There is a reason why Shockwave is still in business and many other manufacturers aren’t around or went under during the recession.

RCDave

Reaction score
According to Alex Torrez, the former business partner/owner in Shockwave and plug/mold builder and Founder of Aftershock (aftershock was the result of the partnership failure)They "borrowed" the tremor name because it was "his" boat, his design/build. This, along with many other life history/ boat industry stories he told me while he was capping, plugging holes and re-gelling/changing some colors on my 20' Elim. SS cruiser for 8 months.

Not correct. The shockwave Tremor was originally a caliber 1 mold.

Reactions: DAB

gqchris

Reaction score
This shows the power of RDP and its Google rankings. Happens all the time.

Looks like Vanessa was googling her Dad, and here we are, an old thread revived from the dead!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
This shows the power of RDP and its Google rankings. Happens all the time.

Looks like Vanessa was googling her Dad, and here we are, an old thread revived from the dead!
Good thing the Cheyenne thread is locked:D

DAB

Reaction score
Ive known Bob A for 25 years. There are many sides to all stories and then theres the truth. Bob works his ass off, stayed afloat during the '08 collapse and has built a loyal following. They've built 3 of them for me, the 1st in the old West Coast tooling building in Elsinore. Your opinion may be a little biased because he is your father.. welcome to the boards.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I've had Shockwave build 2 boats for me and Bob A and Danny did a great job both times. Bob provided excellent customer service to me when my 34 needed some changes to the initial setup, and I wouldn't hesitate recommending Shockwave to anyone. The Shockwave Tremor is one of the best all around boats in its size range in my opinion

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Love when people get upset about things like that...

"how dare you come up with a crafty name that plays off of your past history that doesnt violate any copyrights or trademarks!"

hahaha.

I wonder how DCB feels about ICB? Seems to me, every custom boat builder uses "custom boats" in their name.

Danny Mancini

Reaction score
Hey river Dave, my 2 cents, i was there. Ive seen lots of speculation about shockwave early days and aftershock. First off, Alex was like a big brother to me, he was/is a good man, hard worker, good father and a good friend, like family.. and i loved him, still do. I had met Alex long before at eliminator, and after that he was working at Russel's (the old gambino vegas bag man) doing assembly, Don Kirbys shop in stanton, I would go there to paint some calibers, eliminators an warlocks.. I got cole to bring his molds there and Alex and I after having lots of trouble getting paid, decided to steal the work away and do it ourselves, we took the cole and caliber accts right away and soon after Toms warlocks. It all worked out very well, and by mid 90's we were building more than anybody...bare hulls.. all the coles, calibers, ultra ( there was a few ultras), cobra, eleminator overflow, warlocks..lavey until the bros got there own facility, and many small shops customs and race boats.... I know theres many more, just dont come to mind right now.
While doing that, I wanted to make a mini jet..Ive enclosed a pic of the first shockwave boat...2nd because the first was a test mule. I spent a year designing an working with Ron Ede to tool it. Plan was to make a new company building an selling cool custom minis....Shockwaves. Problem was, my idea was a total flop..people didnt need 13' tunnel jets...or want one lol.
All the builders had no problem when we showed up at the LA boatshow with our 13' zoom...it was cute, no threat. But the next year we show up with a 21...we now had a conflict of interest with our customers. Bobby had a mold of calibers 21, same 21 many had at the time...and we had Jerry Bakers 20 tunnel (nice fast boat).
So, something had to happen, something had to change. Bye now the workloads started to change, I was spending more an more time on shockwave...btw working like crazy.... the norm day...I'd come in the morning and spend most of my time on shockwave..; Bobby too. Then around 6pm Bobby and I would make a pot of jet fuel coffee, and he'd start rigging and I'd start painting...many late nites.

We needed to have separation. We talked a lot about it. The deal was really what was already happining, Alex was spending all his time an efforts on wct, and I was spending all my time on shockwave. the deal. hand written contract between friends. Alex would assume 100% of wct, Bobby and I would each assume 50% of shockwave, prior Alex an I were 50 50 on wct, Alex, me and Bobby were threeway partners on Shockwave. Alex would continue doing what he was doing, and build ours! NOTE* at that time, wct was very succesful and lucrative. Shockwave was a pipe dream.

This was a very fair an natural progression, nobody was getting a bad deal.. 100% of a very successful, strong established business is not bad.

Enter Jeff Thurber. This guy was a smooth con man who never went anywhere without his lawyer, he carried him around like a gun. He got involved with Alex and kept putting crap in his ear. I tried numerous times to show Alex this guy was bad news. He backed Alex to sue me. They took my handwritten contract an tried to sue because i left a blank spot where a date was missing...they couldnt win anything but did as much damage as they could and cost a lot of time and money, chose to settle, more money. Earlier on I hired a private eye to check Thurber out an wow! you wouldnt believe this guys record....scamarama! He'd scam business people an take over companys was his game, a real bad deal. Alex chose to believe the wrong guy...him an Thurber got together and did aftershock.. I constantly tried to warn Alex, but bye now he was convinced Thurber was the good guy...we all now know that wasnt the case.

Well, writing this brought back lots of memories... heres a tidbit no one knows...the name shockwave...I was sitting down at wct talking with Jim Pringle,at that time he was working for us in Elsinore, and I was saying all these earthquake, shock terms, later the names of our models,
but it was Pringle who said...shockwave!. an I said thats it! oh well, it is what it is.
zoom.jpg

floatn turd

Reaction score
Not to thread jack.
But
Aftershock made a 24ft closed bow cat.
I think it was called the Intimidator.

I always thought it was a bad ass looking boat.
Anyone on here ever own one?

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Whoa, I had no idea that Danny was on here. As I said before, Bob and Danny have gone above and beyond for me on my 2 Shockwave purchases. I think the fact that Shockwave has been in business continually through the ups and downs of the last 25 plus years speaks volumes.

Danny I hope you are doing well

BlowMe

Reaction score
That little 13 foot jet looks like a blast

WhatExit?

Reaction score
THIS is one of a boat load of threads that are "only on RDP" - and it only took 2 years (not 2 weeks) to get "the rest of the story" 😁 👍

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Whoa, I had no idea that Danny was on here. As I said before, Bob and Danny have gone above and beyond for me on my 2 Shockwave purchases. I think the fact that Shockwave has been in business continually through the ups and downs of the last 25 plus years speaks volumes.

As a new Shockwave owner I can tell you that I never realized how much brand loyalty they have. I was talking with another owner about why you don't see a lot of 28 Decks for sale and he basically said that most start out in the smaller ones and work their way up. Once they get to a 28 Deck, there really isn't anywhere else to go unless they build another one and that is few and far between. It is a great family of owners that Bob and Greg treat well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

allrightnow

Reaction score
As a new Shockwave owner I can tell you that I never realized how much brand loyalty they have. I was talking with another owner about why you don't see a lot of 28 Decks for sale and he basically said that most start out in the smaller ones and work their way up. Once they get to a 28 Deck, there really isn't anywhere else to go unless they build another one and that is few and far between. It is a great family of owners that Bob and Greg treat well.

Don’t forget about Jenifer.... I’ve had three shockwaves since 2000 and it’s very nice to call Shockwave and have Jenifer answer the phone and know exactly who you are and take great care of you...

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Don’t forget about Jenifer.... I’ve had three shockwaves since 2000 and it’s very nice to call Shockwave and have Jenifer answer the phone and know exactly who you are and take great care of you...
Yes, 100%.

RCDave

Reaction score
For sure. She's a sweetheart

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I can honestly say, until I read this thread these past few days, I never really thought much of Shockwave. Now having learned the history of the company and the multiple first hand accounts if their quality and customer support, they are very high on the list.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

E4L

Reaction score

Jenifer is on point and takes good care of you I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Reaction score

What 3 Shockwaves have you owned? Curious to know where you started and where you're at now...

Danny Mancini

Reaction score
What are you up to these days Danny?

Your talent in the spray booth is LEGENDARY. It was a pleasure doing business with you.
thank you much rc, likewise.. i was just lucky to have the opportunity to work for builders who would take chances an risks to try stuff... from what i see now, larry is the man, he's gone next level and with precision... we learned lots of stuff together...hey larry, how long we work together? 7-10years? 89-99?
heres a couple of those guys today, bob an cliffy, we hung out Christmas 2019.

Attachments

• IMG_6416.jpg
    IMG_6416.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 333

Danny Mancini

Reaction score

steamin rice! how you doin brother!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Yup that's it.
I always thought it was the perfect size and really wanted one back in the day.

Never seen one on the water tho.
I wonder where the molds ended up.

Thank you Sir.
Not sure where they are these days.
There was the 23 and a 28, both created by Tom Stolarz post Warlock.
As a Warrior I think we made about 5?
Danny may remember.
As an Aftershock I have no idea how many were built.