WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Aftershock Tremor vs Shockwave Tremor?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
thank you much rc, likewise.. i was just lucky to have the opportunity to work for builders who would take chances an risks to try stuff... from what i see now, larry is the man, he's gone next level and with precision... we learned lots of stuff together...hey larry, how long we work together? 7-10years? 89-99?
heres a couple of those guys today, bob an cliffy, we hung out Christmas 2019.
I was at WCT from 90-95, and did a bunch of Shockwave while you were recouperating from whatever you had recently broken, kinked or crashed😂
I had the pleasure of doing Shockwave cat #1 while Danny was out because of a MX course, dirtbike/gravity related incident😎

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
thank you much rc, likewise.. i was just lucky to have the opportunity to work for builders who would take chances an risks to try stuff... from what i see now, larry is the man, he's gone next level and with precision... we learned lots of stuff together...hey larry, how long we work together? 7-10years? 89-99?
heres a couple of those guys today, bob an cliffy, we hung out Christmas 2019.

Never has the pleasure of meeting you, but your name is legendary in the performance boating industry. Welcome to the forum!

floatn turd

Reaction score
Not sure where they are these days.
There was the 23 and a 28, both created by Tom Stolarz post Warlock.
As a Warrior I think we made about 5?
Danny may remember.
As an Aftershock I have no idea how many were built.

You're right a 23 foot!

Ya, none were sold the last year an a half they were open.
But
I always thought that hull was cool as hell.

Desertkaos760

Reaction score
I bought one of the last aftershock 282 deck boats alex made.. it is green with blue stripes .it was the boat he would show at the boat shows.. i bought it in 2007 and have over 500 hours on it and never had one problem ever.. i think in my opinion he made a very reliable boat.. thats my 2 cents

Attachments

• 10450.jpeg
    10450.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 169

tbults88

Reaction score
Hey river Dave, my 2 cents, i was there. Ive seen lots of speculation about shockwave early days and aftershock. First off, Alex was like a big brother to me, he was/is a good man, hard worker, good father and a good friend, like family.. and i loved him, still do. I had met Alex long before at eliminator, and after that he was working at Russel's (the old gambino vegas bag man) doing assembly, Don Kirbys shop in stanton, I would go there to paint some calibers, eliminators an warlocks.. I got cole to bring his molds there and Alex and I after having lots of trouble getting paid, decided to steal the work away and do it ourselves, we took the cole and caliber accts right away and soon after Toms warlocks. It all worked out very well, and by mid 90's we were building more than anybody...bare hulls.. all the coles, calibers, ultra ( there was a few ultras), cobra, eleminator overflow, warlocks..lavey until the bros got there own facility, and many small shops customs and race boats.... I know theres many more, just dont come to mind right now.
While doing that, I wanted to make a mini jet..Ive enclosed a pic of the first shockwave boat...2nd because the first was a test mule. I spent a year designing an working with Ron Ede to tool it. Plan was to make a new company building an selling cool custom minis....Shockwaves. Problem was, my idea was a total flop..people didnt need 13' tunnel jets...or want one lol.
All the builders had no problem when we showed up at the LA boatshow with our 13' zoom...it was cute, no threat. But the next year we show up with a 21...we now had a conflict of interest with our customers. Bobby had a mold of calibers 21, same 21 many had at the time...and we had Jerry Bakers 20 tunnel (nice fast boat).
So, something had to happen, something had to change. Bye now the workloads started to change, I was spending more an more time on shockwave...btw working like crazy.... the norm day...I'd come in the morning and spend most of my time on shockwave..; Bobby too. Then around 6pm Bobby and I would make a pot of jet fuel coffee, and he'd start rigging and I'd start painting...many late nites.

We needed to have separation. We talked a lot about it. The deal was really what was already happining, Alex was spending all his time an efforts on wct, and I was spending all my time on shockwave. the deal. hand written contract between friends. Alex would assume 100% of wct, Bobby and I would each assume 50% of shockwave, prior Alex an I were 50 50 on wct, Alex, me and Bobby were threeway partners on Shockwave. Alex would continue doing what he was doing, and build ours! NOTE* at that time, wct was very succesful and lucrative. Shockwave was a pipe dream.

This was a very fair an natural progression, nobody was getting a bad deal.. 100% of a very successful, strong established business is not bad.

Enter Jeff Thurber. This guy was a smooth con man who never went anywhere without his lawyer, he carried him around like a gun. He got involved with Alex and kept putting crap in his ear. I tried numerous times to show Alex this guy was bad news. He backed Alex to sue me. They took my handwritten contract an tried to sue because i left a blank spot where a date was missing...they couldnt win anything but did as much damage as they could and cost a lot of time and money, chose to settle, more money. Earlier on I hired a private eye to check Thurber out an wow! you wouldnt believe this guys record....scamarama! He'd scam business people an take over companys was his game, a real bad deal. Alex chose to believe the wrong guy...him an Thurber got together and did aftershock.. I constantly tried to warn Alex, but bye now he was convinced Thurber was the good guy...we all now know that wasnt the case.

Well, writing this brought back lots of memories... heres a tidbit no one knows...the name shockwave...I was sitting down at wct talking with Jim Pringle,at that time he was working for us in Elsinore, and I was saying all these earthquake, shock terms, later the names of our models,
but it was Pringle who said...shockwave!. an I said thats it! oh well, it is what it is. View attachment 897707
Do you know of aftershock put a clear coat on there boat?? I have one and im having a hell of a time getting it buffed out looks like a clear was shot over the blue.

Attachments

• 20201129_160544.jpg
    20201129_160544.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 20201129_160528.jpg
    20201129_160528.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 20201129_160522.jpg
    20201129_160522.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 131

wzuber

Reaction score
Commonly, clears were shot only over the colors. Whites were not cleared over because they tended to yellow over time. Yours does look like an issue with the clear. If it was UN-cleared blue it would be fading and chalking off in a blue tone powder on your hand. You could have the clear sanded off and re-cleared.

tbults88

Reaction score
Commonly, clears were shot only over the colors. Whites were not cleared over because they tended to yellow over time. Yours does look like an issue with the clear. If it was UN-cleared blue it would be fading and chalking off in a blue tone powder on your hand. You could have the clear sanded off and re-cleared.
No it dose not chalk off so im guessing its the clear plus it seems like the single shot for the name is under the clear. Do u know of anywhere that would sand it and re clear it?

wzuber

Reaction score
No it dose not chalk off so im guessing its the clear plus it seems like the single shot for the name is under the clear. Do u know of anywhere that would sand it and re clear it?
Where are you located?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Do you know of aftershock put a clear coat on there boat?? I have one and im having a hell of a time getting it buffed out looks like a clear was shot over the blue.
It looks like an area that has seen gel repair in the past. Patched clear will be the first to show its age, and looks pretty much just like that.

tbults88

Reaction score
It looks like an area that has seen gel repair in the past. Patched clear will be the first to show its age, and looks pretty much just like that.
Yeah it seems like they had the name painted on then had a clear shot over it. Its only on the blue. The rest of the boat looks great but anything blue has this problem

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Yeah it seems like they had the name painted on then had a clear shot over it. Its only on the blue. The rest of the boat looks great but anything blue has this problem
They traditionally didn’t clear over the name, they were almost all done with One shot enamel a day or so before they went out. Gel would buckle the enamel. That’s not to say someone else did, but from the pics it looks like patched clear letting loose.

tbults88

Reaction score
They traditionally didn’t clear over the name, they were almost all done with One shot enamel a day or so before they went out. Gel would buckle the enamel. That’s not to say someone else did, but from the pics it looks like patched clear letting loose.
I tried to strip the name. tried rubbing compound buffer. Nothing came off. Tried to use a razor blade and it chipped off like a think plastic sticker. But there is no lip to it like a sticker would have. Its a smooth surface that rolls over the lettering. Some one did something weird to it. Im at the point of just sanding the whole top cap and have it all redone

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I tried to strip the name. tried rubbing compound buffer. Nothing came off. Tried to use a razor blade and it chipped off like a think plastic sticker. But there is no lip to it like a sticker would have. Its a smooth surface that rolls over the lettering. Some one did something weird to it. Im at the point of just sanding the whole top cap and have it all redone
Try Easy Off oven cleaner.

And for the redo, let’s tag @Hammer

wzuber

Reaction score
Sounds good ill give it a shot this afternoon
There's a shop in Stanton that has been mentioned here the past that is said to do good gel coat repair work but I can't recall the name.
Also Blas Montes @ Extreme in Elsinor
951/941-0043
It you go to the restorations and repairs forum section here you will find a lot of helpful info. Too

tbults88

Reaction score
Try Easy Off oven cleaner.

And for the redo, let’s tag @Hammer
Well tried oven cleaner on it. Turned all my dark blue to a baby powder blue. Guess all the blue on my boat is painted😕 i guess im either gunna pay for new gel or have it painted again. My transom is f#&ked lol. Live ya learn ill post some pics

tbults88

Reaction score
The truth about Alex torres is hes amazing and a talented boat builder. The real story is Danny m. And Bobby A. Are greedy people that decided to trick Alex into thinking they were expanding Shockwave when in reality they took that company from him & took hes money . And now the something happened to Bobby A. They took Shockwave from him & made it Shockwave San Diego. As for Danny M. He went to ask Alex if he would hire him at Aftershock years ago because Bobby A. did the same to him as he did to Alex. Aftershock is no longer a company due to the fact that Alex's business partner Jeff T. Was also a Greedy person & also a Fraudulent person that is running from the law & wanted for stealing 2million dollars from Aftershock. As for Alex Torres he was still making boats & boat repairs for a new boat company he built from the bottom up. I believe he's retired now as of 1year ago. I'm proud & honored to personally know this man... he is my father. I love you Dad. Alex Torres has been & will always be the #1 boat builder in America.
Loving my aftershock. Bought one that needed love. After some hard engine work and a little body work shes back on the water creating Memories for my two little boys. she dose just about 60 and her deep hull handles chop well. She ain't perfect but im not done with her yet. New interior this season

Kingsolar

Reaction score
Should I buy a 2004 aftershock 21 skier? Was it a good year for those boats? Thank you

CarreraMike

Carrera Boats
Reaction score
It’s funny when people talk about Aftershocks quality ,
1. We had Dave (gel Coater) now at shockwave,
2. Marcos the rigger- now at Nordic!!
3. Raul (interior) now the head of DCB interior dept.
4.the installers worked for aftershock/ Eliminator
5.extreme trailers (everyone used)
6. We all ordered from fox marine or L&L at the time
I’d say we were on to something, everyone has haters it comes with the territory.

CarreraMike

Carrera Boats
Reaction score
It’s funny when people talk about Aftershocks quality ,
1. We had Dave (gel Coater) now at shockwave,
2. Marcos the rigger- now at Nordic!!
3. Raul (interior) now the head of DCB interior dept.
4.the installers worked for aftershock/ Eliminator
5.extreme trailers (everyone used)
6. We all ordered from fox marine or L&L at the time
I’d say we were on to something, everyone has haters it comes with the territory.And I know I’m late to the party!!! God bless guys