Ahhh Donzi....

Spudsbud

Reaction score

Taboma

Reaction score

Tank

Reaction score
The Donzi ZR comps are sweet rides.

Ran the lambo orange one with Craig Barrie a few times. Predictable, rode solid, turned like it was on rails, think it ran like 110 with staggered 525’s.

2B53C321-BD44-48A1-9480-83FC94D0204B.jpeg

Hydroman55

Reaction score
A lot of folks love them Donzi boats going back to the sweet 16 literally a cult following.
Nothing bad to say but never got the Donzi thing.
Then again company was form and marketed by the Cigarette man himself.

Taboma

Reaction score
Really? I think I’d have to slap somebody upside the head if they did that to my boat. I hope there’s a good reason for it.🤓

From the pic I put up below, the reason is apparently not having the one tube from the front engine crossing over the rear.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
The few examples I've found like the Red Donzi, were all 525's and I know two of the three were Donzi's, not sure about the 3rd.

View attachment 1069161

But I guarantee you, not on my boat they wouldn't 😁
I might be willing to sacrifice the look at the transom, for the cleaner simpler look inside.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
What is that tank on the left side of the engine? that appears to be the reason why, to me at least.

I believe that's the battery box.

Its been my understanding that doing the 3 and 1 setup allows them to use the factory provided headers with the engines vs. modified header dimensions. But just what I've heard from a guy who heard it from a guy.

Some people also like the lack of symmetry. To them its "cooler." 🤷

Taboma

Reaction score
I can tell you which one I’d rather take the valve covers off to run valve lash…but I agree it bugs me looking at it from the stern.

For me, serviceability wins.

In most cases, I'm a function over form guy, and I certainly agree about serviceability, especially in a tight staggered setup.
But the ass-end (OK stern, have it your way 😁) of that "Picasso" designed Donzi's ass, looks like shit to me, I'm not sure I could live with that.
Besides, if I could afford that Donzi, I'd have a guy and not be worrying about how to adjust much of anything, ever if I could avoid it.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
In most cases, I'm a function over form guy, and I certainly agree about serviceability, especially in a tight staggered setup.
But the ass-end (OK stern, have it your way 😁) of that "Picasso" designed Donzi's ass, looks like shit to me, I'm not sure I could live with that.
Besides, if I could afford that Donzi, I'd have a guy and not be worrying about how to adjust much of anything, ever if I could avoid it.

Maybe your "guy" is the one who installed your exhaust like that 😅

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Fountain and Cigarette do the exhaust the same way. This is the common way with 525’s. Nothing abnormal here.
E0CB19BF-7BBA-42F9-A855-810DCBA9A893.png
B322659F-95A5-4020-AEFF-7732641A70DA.png

Taboma

Reaction score
Maybe your "guy" is the one who installed your exhaust like that 😅
You do make a great point. 😁 We are talking the "Wonderful World of Boating" here, " Oh, you wanted it which way again ? Oops " 😂

Taboma

Reaction score
Fountain and Cigarette do the exhaust the same way. This is the common way with 525’s. Nothing abnormal here. View attachment 1069165 View attachment 1069166

Odd, but the exhaust in the top pic appears to be not only unequally spaced, but exit at different heights. The bottom (Red tinted) pic they appear unequally spaced but at the same height --- I dunno, but not on my boat you wouldn't, I don't give a shit who's name is on the side.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Those aren't staggered in the same manner as the Donzi --- they appear spaced properly, but in the top pic the starboard engine's exhaust appears to exit lower than the port engine.
In the bottom picture with the red lighting those appear to be spaced evenly and at the same elevation ??
If you look at the Donzi, they have to clear the ITS boxes. What I was referring to, is they don’t run the exhaust over the valve cover, it bends around the aft engine. Whatever the spacing needs to be on the transom is what it is. I like the exhaust like that, it makes it obvious it’s staggered right away. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Taboma

Reaction score
If you look at the Donzi, they have to clear the ITS boxes. What I was referring to, is they don’t run the exhaust over the valve cover, it bends around the aft engine. Whatever the spacing needs to be on the transom is what it is. I like the exhaust like that, it makes it obvious it’s staggered right away. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'm so happy for you 👍 😁 You can buy every one that's like that and available on the market and I promise not to submit a bid. 🤪

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
I'm so happy for you 👍 😁 You can buy every one that's like that and available on the market and I promise not to submit a bid. 🤪
And you’ll really get twisted with triples!😁

Maybe you’re one of those “exit out the side” guys. They sound like ass from one side or the other, but they’re symmetrical 😉

Taboma

Reaction score
And you’ll really get twisted with triples!😁

Maybe you’re one of those “exit out the side” guys. They sound like ass from one side or the other, but they’re symmetrical 😉

Like my old Sea Ray Flybridge, it had side pipes man. 😁 But not a "Rev to Impress" kind of boat. 🤣

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm with Taboma...that just looks odd. If it makes for serviceability, it kind of makes sense. I just look at it this way, if I can afford to have them build me a boat, I'm probably paying a real mechanic to do work on it. I'd pay the extra labor I guess?
Don't get me wrong, super nice boat. From the helm the pipes wouldn't bother me a bit 😂

spectras only

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't remember the exhaust exits on my buddy's 47 Arronow. Crappy old picture, I'll find the video I took with transom showing while getting on plane.

1637822507457.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
OK, well Dan has showed us how boats can be a form of art, beauty and perfection to behold.
Meanwhile, over on the 525 side of the field, well, 🤪 what can I say, not everybody can be a 10. 🤣 ;)

Listen guys, I'm just playing. I suppose after 50 years of bending conforming symmetrical conduit bends striving to achieve art from industrial electric, I struggle with things abstract. 🥴

hman442

Reaction score
It does look odd. All that said, it's a bitchin red Donzi, I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Lol. Yeah right.

A) dans in love.
B) Dan doesn’t fit in a ZR. They’re tight.
I was gonna say.... big D makes a 42 Cig look more like a 25' Baja.... no offense Tankster, I know you'd make his 42' look like that 50' Cig he spotted in KW.