WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Air Compressor Recommendations

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for recommendations based on your experience. I've been scouring the webz for a few weeks and asking around but I'd like to hear from a larger audience.

I need it to primarily
- air/hydraulic tube bender
- air tools (grinders, sanders and air nozzle for cleaning)

I eventually want to be able to run a paint gun for small jobs but that functionality isn't important right now.

I'm leaning towards an single phase, oiled 2-stage setup that's stationary. I have a 1200 sqft shop and will build a pretty simple manifold to access the air when/where needed. I am still concerned about noise however I don't need a whisper quiet setup.

Last edited:

RaceTec

Reaction score
Always go bigger than you need, cuts down on everything! Oiled 2 stage would be perfect, see if you can find something with a dryer or get a small dryer, it will save you headaches and you will be able to run the paint gun...

82daytona

Reaction score
Single phase or three?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outboard_256

Reaction score
I would stay away from the HF ones. My friend had nothing but problems with them. He got the warranty but after returning the 3rd one he just gave it away and bought a nice one.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I have a Quincy that I love. 2 stage 80 gal. It’s pretty quiet and moves a ton of air.

82daytona

Reaction score
Can you send over manufacturer and model number in the meantime? Thanks

IMG_5574.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Found this Sanborn Black Max for relatively cheap. Does anybody have experience with these? The history on them is pretty convoluted but I was able to find a manual and parts list for them which is comforting.

upload_2019-8-9_10-36-20.png

upload_2019-8-9_10-37-22.png

DLC

Reaction score
What’s your budget? Or best bang for the buck....

Tractor supply sells IR, I was thinking about getting one for the Hava house.

D259A96F-FBA7-4013-84B5-2483048C5ADF.jpeg

Riverbottom

Reaction score
What’s your budget? Or best bang for the buck....

Tractor supply sells IR, I was thinking about getting one for the Hava house.

View attachment 785280

I have this one for home use and have been very happy. Almost 20 yrs old, and have changed the oil once and filters a couple of times. Prices have come way down on IR compressors. I paid close to 2K$ .

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@Riverbottom @DLC I tracked down one of these here in the valley, it’s brand new for sub $800. I reserved it and am waiting for confirmation as to why it’s been marked down but it sounds like a great deal.

Do you purchase an extended warranty outside of what IR provides?

Riverbottom

Reaction score
@Riverbottom @DLC I tracked down one of these here in the valley, it’s brand new for sub $800. I reserved it and am waiting for confirmation as to why it’s been marked down but it sounds like a great deal.

Do you purchase an extended warranty outside of what IR provides?

I have never purchased an extended warranty on anything, but that is just me.

DLC

Reaction score
I don’t think there is very much to go wrong on these - meaning no mother board! Seems like the electronics always seem to go out.

Washer dryers, refrigerators and ovens I would buy the extended Warranty.

That’s a great deal for $800! Congratulations! You lucky dog!

Might be a last year model and have a new one coming out. See what they say.

Check the drain at the bottom of the tank for rusty water and also the air outlet port for P tape to see if it’s been used, sometimes there is a little string of old tape in the threads. Other than that just over all condition.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@DLC so the scoop is a customer returned it because they were having issues with air leaks. The customer then demanded a new unit instead of opting for repairs and the store allowed it.

They then sent this unit out for repairs at a local shop (same shop they use for their in-house warranty) and are selling it marked down. I called the repair shop but couldnt find specifics on what the actual repair was however they seamed like a pretty knowledgeable outfit and have been around a while.

I talked the store down to $750 if I purchase their 2-yr extended warranty. The shop sends a tech out to diagnose/repair on site but otherwise will haul the unit back to their place. The cost for that is around $250 so we're really talking about paying full retail except I'd have 3yrs on the entire unit and 4yrs on the pump itself. What I like about that is I work with a local shop directly and not with IR north america.

What do you think about them apples?

DLC

Reaction score
I don’t think you can go wrong with that deal!

If you bought a brand new unit you could potentially have an issue.
So you get a longer warranty which is nice to have.

I look at it as if I was buying it and I wouldn’t be using it full time so longer warranty Would be better for me, as I haven’t been to the Hava house in 1.5 months.....

I would go look at it and see if you like it.
Then snag it if you do!