WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Air Cond. repair

nordictom

Reaction score
I did a quick search for a thread on the go to guy's in LHC for A/C work. Doesn't show up...............

Can someone name a few of the good ones in town?

Thanks,

NT

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I've used All American A/C in the past with good results.

boatsntoys

Reaction score
90% of air conditioner problems are repetitive. Look up the top 10 things to check. Unless you need that hard to get freon stuff for older units, Not much you can't fix for less than $100 and and hour of your time.

My blower motor wasn't working. Needed a new capacitor (read it online). First called to repair and got $470 estimate.
Bought the capacitor on line for $14. Took 5 minutes to install (learned on YouTube)

Next year blower motor took a shit. $775 estimate. Told him I didn't have the money. The service tech to me where to buy one for $65 and showed me the 3 screws and 2 wires to remove and replace. ( also saw on YouTube)

PS: not being mechanically inclined is one thing. Not having common sense is another.
Hit the electrical breakers off and take before pics so you can see where shit went.

Besides a fluid leak, I have been nursing these old units for a few years.
When you have it apart replace all the electrical capacitors, relays etc. they are very cheap, we are talking dollars.

I'm not that mechanically inclined. Sounds difficult but it's not. There are really very few parts in these things.

thetub

Reaction score
90% of air conditioner problems are repetitive. Look up the top 10 things to check. Unless you need that hard to get freon stuff for older units, Not much you can't fix for less than $100 and and hour of your time.

My blower motor wasn't working. Needed a new capacitor (read it online). First called to repair and got $470 estimate.
Bought the capacitor on line for $14. Took 5 minutes to install (learned on YouTube)

Next year blower motor took a shit. $775 estimate. Told him I didn't have the money. The service tech to me where to buy one for $65 and showed me the 3 screws and 2 wires to remove and replace. ( also saw on YouTube)

PS: not being mechanically inclined is one thing. Not having common sense is another.
Hit the electrical breakers off and take before pics so you can see where shit went.

When you have it apart replace all the electrical capacitors, relays etc. they are very cheap, we are talking dollars.

I'm not that mechanically inclined. Sounds difficult but it's not. There are really very few parts in these things.

Im also doing the same now with an old unit

so what happens when old freon stuff is used up R22 I believe?

can you refill it?

Im in Arizona , is this a Kalifornia thing or federal?

Scott E

Reaction score
Yes, Carey is a fellow boater and stands behind his work :thumbsup

Carey is a great guy and does stand behind his work. I'm kind of a fan of his eldest daughter...:eek;):cool:D:p

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

can you refill it?

It's federal. And it doesn't get "used up". There is no tank to top off or anything like that. If you don't have a leak or major component failure (compressor, conderlnser coil, Evaporator coil, or metering device), there should never been a need to add gas to a system.

thetub

Reaction score
It's federal. And it doesn't get "used up". There is no tank to top off or anything like that. If you don't have a leak or major component failure (compressor, conderlnser coil, Evaporator coil, or metering device), there should never been a need to add gas to a system.

interesting...

didnt know that

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Good info here. Once had the air handler (blower) of our AC quit working. It is in the small attic space of our smaller garage. A local ass hat AC guy charged me $140 for that $14 capacitor, plus labor. There are 2 blowers up there. Had him change the capacitor for the second smaller blower. He jacked that 10x also. Plus labor, this came to over $300 for what should have been a 10 min job. Lesson Learned. So, if you find you AC coils frozen over, check the air handler(s) and their capacitors. There's also a good explanation of this simple job on YouTube. Would expect parts to be jacked up. But IMHO, 10x is just screwing the customer.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Good info here. Once had the air handler (blower) of our AC quit working. It is in the small attic space of our smaller garage. A local ass hat AC guy charged me $140 for that $14 capacitor, plus labor. There are 2 blowers up there. Had him change the capacitor for the second smaller blower. He jacked that 10x also. Plus labor, this came to over $300 for what should have been a 10 min job. Lesson Learned. So, if you find you AC coils frozen over, check the air handler(s) and their capacitors. There's also a good explanation of this simple job on YouTube. Would expect parts to be jacked up. But IMHO, 10x is just screwing the customer.

quick diagnosis

Small access in an attic

The knowledge to know it was a capacitor

the tools to complete the repair properly.

The inventory on hand to complete the repair

quickly repairing said item to get you up and running in a timely manner

Only charged $300

sounds like the wrong person is being called an asshat in this story..;)

Glad to know that you donate your time and go to work for free because I find it hard to believe that after reading your post would you say that and then go to work to make a living. :thumbsup

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

I absolutely love it when the "you tube Experts" try and fix their own stuff.....if you think a standard service call is expensive, wait until you have to call in an actual technician to un-do your you tube fixes. :D:D$$$

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
quick diagnosis

Small access in an attic

The knowledge to know it was a capacitor

the tools to complete the repair properly.

The inventory on hand to complete the repair

quickly repairing said item to get you up and running in a timely manner

Only charged $300

sounds like the wrong person is being called an asshat in this story..;)

Glad to know that you donate your time and go to work for free because I find it hard to believe that after reading your post would you say that and then go to work to make a living. :thumbsup
Exactly what I was thinking. Obviously customers are only required to pay for the part plus labor to cover the worker's pay rate.

Dalton

Reaction score

140 x 2 = 280, about 20 bucks in labor? youtube diy keeps hvac techs in business

boatsntoys

Reaction score

can you refill it?

If it needs soldered because of a leak and then refilled. DONT DO IT!!
I found out the hard way. Mine sprung a leak. $200 to fix it and then 7 pounds of the R22 @ $100 a pound. The price has sky rocketed. Next year it will be illegal to even produce R22. They can only use recycled stuff, the price is expected to sky rocket again. Maybe $200 or more per pound. If it needs to be added the. It's time for a new unit. If you do a carefull search you can get a new unit 3.5 ton unit for as low as $1400. And the unit uses almost half the electricity of the 20 year old units I have now. Wish I would have known, but the tech knew he had a newbee that didn't know Shit.
Well, now I do.
I found a guy that will install a new outside unit for $300. Not bad.
It will have to match and be usable with the unit inside the house, but if not I'll install a new inside unit for another $450. Been here in Arizona a for 4 years now and never turned on the heater, so I'll skip the heater section. If necessary I'll get a space heater for that seldom time I need one.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking. Obviously customers are only required to pay for the part plus labor to cover the worker's pay rate.

For the most part by the time the technician knocks on the door the company is already $200+ into the service call. the overhead of running an AC service company is staggering and many people don't have a realization in the cost that not only the company incurs but the costs for the technician personally. Last I checked trade school wasn't free, And I don't know about anyone else but my tools were not free either. Our trucks, our employees, our insurance agents, etc etc etc don't accept "thanks" as a payment. ;)

boatsntoys

Reaction score

Im not getting down on HVAC repairmen. I make money on my job as well. It's just that sometimes things are pretty simple to repair on your own. If you have any sac of tools and mechanical, it's worth a shot. I'm nursing old units , have had at least a dozen issues the last 2 years on the 2 units I have. 4 times it was capacitors on both the inside and outside units. Those are pretty easy. Then I switched both starter switch things. Again, pretty easy and cheap.
It's worked so far for me. Some are scared or don't have time and would prefer an expert, that's cool. But I dont have the $$, but I do have the time So, it's either I figure it out or we sit in the heat. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Took my truck to the dealer for new alternator $875. Bought on Amazon for $90 and spent an hour putting it in.
Not everyone can do that. But I can and this site is full of do it yourselfers and people that can figure it out.

Many pay $800 to $1000 for a yearly boat service and gimble bearing change. I bought all the merc tools needed for $300. Now I do it myself for $125 in parts and a couple hours of my time. Etc. etc. etc.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
140 x 2 = 280, about 20 bucks in labor? youtube diy keeps hvac techs in business

Nope, second blower had a smaller $9 capacitor. He charged $90. Labor was $90. Said the bill was over $300. A ten times mark up on parts seemed stiff. Don't know, maybe it is customary? Didn't mind paying for his "expertise" and accessing a relatively small space. WTF - We had just spent many thousands last year with the same guy on 2 new AC units. If you can mark up your parts 10 times, and get away with it, good for you. Believe a good Hvac tech is kept in business due to their service, knowledge, certification, fairness and reputation, not YouTube. Just sayin'
If an HVAC Service Call Out starts at $200, so be it. But, let the customer know up front.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Brady at Cool Wave in Havasu, is a great guy. I and many friends use him.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Nope, second blower had a smaller $9 capacitor. He charged $90. Labor was $90. Said the bill was over $300. A ten times mark up on parts seemed stiff. Don't know, maybe it is customary? Didn't mind paying for his "expertise" and accessing a relatively small space. WTF - We had just spent many thousands last year with the same guy on 2 new AC units. If you can mark up your parts 10 times, and get away with it, good for you. Believe a good Hvac tech is kept in business due to their service, knowledge, certification, fairness and reputation, not YouTube. Just sayin'
If an HVAC Service Call Out starts at $200, so be it. But, let the customer know up front.
If you just had a brand new system installed a year earlier and the blower cap went out already, you have some substantial issues that I'd highly suggest having another, qualified person give them system a thourogh check up.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
If you just had a brand new system installed a year earlier and the blower cap went out already, you have some substantial issues that I'd highly suggest having another, qualified person give them system a thourogh check up.

Never mind the fact that the units would be under warranty by the manufacturer. [emoji6]

rivrbrat

Reaction score

can you refill it?

If you do some research there is a long list of drop-in replacement Gas's that are better than R22 and legal.

thetub

Reaction score
If you do some research there is a long list of drop-in replacement Gas's that are better than R22 and legal.

ok cool

the ac guy who came out told me that it r22 was gonna be obsolete and to get a new unit.

never told me about replacement stuff.

thanks

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

There are quite a few r22 substitutes but none of them perform as well. Most will have around a 30% loss in capacity. We are converting most drop in systems back to r-22 for the time being and our customers are gearing up to replace.

rivrbrat

Reaction score
If it needs soldered because of a leak and then refilled. DONT DO IT!!
I found out the hard way. Mine sprung a leak. $200 to fix it and then 7 pounds of the R22 @ $100 a pound. The price has sky rocketed. Next year it will be illegal to even produce R22. They can only use recycled stuff, the price is expected to sky rocket again. Maybe $200 or more per pound. If it needs to be added the. It's time for a new unit. If you do a carefull search you can get a new unit 3.5 ton unit for as low as $1400. And the unit uses almost half the electricity of the 20 year old units I have now. Wish I would have known, but the tech knew he had a newbee that didn't know Shit.
Well, now I do.
I found a guy that will install a new outside unit for $300. Not bad.
It will have to match and be usable with the unit inside the house, but if not I'll install a new inside unit for another $450. Been here in Arizona a for 4 years now and never turned on the heater, so I'll skip the heater section. If necessary I'll get a space heater for that seldom time I need one.

Do you know you can by units that don't require soldering and they are prefilled?

rivrbrat

Reaction score
There are quite a few r22 substitutes but none of them perform as well. Most will have around a 30% loss in capacity. We are converting most drop in systems back to r-22 for the time being and our customers are gearing up to replace.

I would sure like to see your performance data to support this claim? and please tell us more about this 30% loss in capacity.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I've been wrestling with the system on one of my rentals. Compressor blew up, then the condenser fan broke 2 weeks later. The system is now suffering some intermittent issues during the day in the heat. Been a little frustrating. May possibly replace the whole stupid thing, but there are not really many more high dollar items to replace I don't think, so I'm having trouble swallowing that is the fix.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I would sure like to see your performance data to support this claim? and please tell us more about this 30% loss in capacity.

In commercial applications on certain equipment, Best case scenario you can get it down to a 5-10% loss using blends and mixes changing oil metering devices, etc etc. Many will be much more. I'm more interested to see of this replacement that you claim works better (please share info) . To date there's no manufacturer approved replacement and nothing that will out perform r-22 without changing equipment. 4-22b is the most popular r-22 substitute but is coming up short in the performance side of things. Converting to 407 is also an option but like everything else there are performance limitations. In the residential side of things these substitutes and "drop ins" shortcomings come through much more apparent. 30% is the real numbers that are being thrown around by people much smarter than me [emoji6] ironically every producer of drop in claims no performance loss.....but when put into use in the real world completely different performance is being experienced.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I've been wrestling with the system on one of my rentals. Compressor blew up, then the condenser fan broke 2 weeks later. The system is now suffering some intermittent issues during the day in the heat. Been a little frustrating. May possibly replace the whole stupid thing, but there are not really many more high dollar items to replace I don't think, so I'm having trouble swallowing that is the fix.

I don't recall getting a call about this [emoji6]

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

nordictom

Reaction score
SO, I just got a chance to check in ..................

Thanks for all the responses & DIY help.

So I have in no particular order:

Carey's
All American
Samons
Cool Wave

MIL is going to be at the house in LHC, I'll start making calls to see who can check it out.

Thanks Again everyone.:thumbsup

Tom

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
SO, I just got a chance to check in ..................

Thanks for all the responses & DIY help.

So I have in no particular order:

Carey's
All American
Samons
Cool Wave

MIL is going to be at the house in LHC, I'll start making calls to see who can check it out.

Thanks Again everyone.:thumbsup

Tom

And to get in track of the original post.

I have had Carey do a few things for me out there. He would be my go to.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score

The units replaced last year were the compressor etc units on the ground. The capacitors replaced were on the air handlers, totally removed from the units on the ground. This tech had looked at the air handlers last year, blowers in the garage attic space, and said they looked fine. And still do. They were not replaced last year. Believe he did not test the capacitors last year. Said he was then looking for corrosion, bad bearings etc on the air handlers. One capacitor was now blown and the other was getting weak. That was the issue. Hope I've explained properly. It is not rocket science. But it is pretty damned important in LHC.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
The units replaced last year were the compressor etc units on the ground. The capacitors replaced were on the air handlers, totally removed from the units on the ground. This tech had looked at the air handlers last year, blowers in the garage attic space, and said they looked fine. And still do. They were not replaced last year. Believe he did not test the capacitors last year. Said he was then looking for corrosion, bad bearings etc on the air handlers. One capacitor was now blown and the other was getting weak. That was the issue. Hope I've explained properly. It is not rocket science. But it is pretty damned important in LHC.

That's just poor maintenance. We perform all of our commercial maintenances following the standard 180 practices (minimum) many are even more through

https://www.ashrae.org/File Library/docLib/StdsAddenda/180_2008_a_Published.pdf

We have transferred a lot of these practices over to our residential service calls and things like capacitors, motors, amp draws, air flow, temp split, refrigerant charge are all checked regardless of what we are there for. If my guy is there for a simple water leak.....he's doing a full diagnostic on the entire system. Failing to do so is an injustice to the customer......and results in being called and asshat on a boating forum [emoji23][emoji23]

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
I am a Technician, and every time someone brings me a vehicle and then whines about the cost of repairs and then says I looked up the repair on "Youtube" and it doesn't look that hard" I simply shut the hood of their car, and say "well then it looks like you are doing it yourself" and send them on their way.....I feel for the business owners trying to eek out a living with all the clowns on Youtube posting videos of DIY crap...then customers think they know it all and seriously make it hard for anyone to make a living. hope everyone gets their AC fixed properly....:D

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I am a Technician, and every time someone brings me a vehicle and then whines about the cost of repairs and then says I looked up the repair on "Youtube" and it doesn't look that hard" I simply shut the hood of their car, and say "well then it looks like you are doing it yourself" and send them on their way.....I feel for the business owners trying to eek out a living with all the clowns on Youtube posting videos of DIY crap...then customers think they know it all and seriously make it hard for anyone to make a living. hope everyone gets their AC fixed properly....:D

Well I've saved about $700 in repair costs for home appliances, so I am happy and see value in fixing some things yourself. I have not dabbled with the AC stuff though, but agree some simple problems can be easily fixed, some problems can't, and still others take someone with experience that knows when something is going south and will break soon.

But complaining about the cost of a technician's time to fix it for you is dumb.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That's just poor maintenance. We perform all of our commercial maintenances following the standard 180 practices (minimum) many are even more through

We have transferred a lot of these practices over to our residential service calls and things like capacitors, motors, amp draws, air flow, temp split, refrigerant charge are all checked regardless of what we are there for. If my guy is there for a simple water leak.....he's doing a full diagnostic on the entire system. Failing to do so is an injustice to the customer......and results in being called and asshat on a boating forum [emoji23][emoji23]

And now we will add alcoholic.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score

We have transferred a lot of these practices over to our residential service calls and things like capacitors, motors, amp draws, air flow, temp split, refrigerant charge are all checked regardless of what we are there for. If my guy is there for a simple water leak.....he's doing a full diagnostic on the entire system. Failing to do so is an injustice to the customer......and results in being called and asshat on a boating forum [emoji23][emoji23][/QUOTE.

I understand your reply about standard practices. I gotta wonder if our AC guy checked the draw on those caps last year? Please note, I didn't mention his company by name. I'm not an expert, just a customer. Sounds like you run a very good operation, but you're not here. Good, reputable HVAC companies are vital in LHC. Lots of good words on here about Carey and others on here.