WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Albondigas Soup

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Thought I'd share my receipe for albondigas on this rainy day!

Fill pot about a little less than half with water.
(2) packages of Lawry's "hot" taco seasoning
(3) cans of stewed tomatoes with diced peppers
(3) small cans of diced Ortega chili’s
(4)red potatoes cut up
(1) bag of baby carrots cut up

You want to put the potatoes and carrots in first cause they take the longest to cook.

(4)Green squash
(1)Celery stock
(1)Brown onion cut up

*Meatballs*........(1) Lean ground beef 7% (1) Lean ground turkey 7%
Fine chop 1/2 a brown onion
2 eggs
(1) cup of basmatti rice
Mix everything together in a bowl, and start rolling meatballs to your desired size! Drop meatballs into pot. At this time the water should be boiling in the pot with all the vegtables in it.

Enjoy!

Albondigas.jpg

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
That looks and sounds excellent.
I'll try it this weekend.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I'm gonna try it this weekend :thumbsup

Hallett

Reaction score
Looks pretty dam good Mark . :thumbsup

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Let me know what you guys think. It gets a little more spicy after a day or two when it marinates!:thumbsup

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
It's on the stove right now, and Army/Navy on the tele!

All but squash and meatballs are in the pot, looks and smells GREAT!

Carl

Slink

Tennessee Living
Reaction score
Do you pre cook the meatballs before throwing them in? or do they cook in the boiling water? if so, how long?

Thanks

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Maybe Mark will chime in........I was planning to NOT pre-cook, just gonna throw 'em in and let the soup cook them........I dunno.........

CC

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Do you pre cook the meatballs before throwing them in? or do they cook in the boiling water? if so, how long?

Thanks

No I just roll the meatballs by hand, then throw them in when the water is boiling and let them cook. They dont need that long to cook, about 20min or so.

boatnam2

Reaction score
DUMB QUESTION BUT YOU COOK THE RICE BEFORE MIXING WITH MEAT? What is basmatti rice never heard of it?

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
DUMB QUESTION BUT YOU COOK THE RICE BEFORE MIXING WITH MEAT? What is basmatti rice never heard of it?

You do not need to cook the rice before mixing with the meat. Basmatti rice is that real fine grade of rice. Basmatti is what is says on the box!

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
It's on the stove right now, and Army/Navy on the tele!

All but squash and meatballs are in the pot, looks and smells GREAT!

Carl

So lets here it carl....What did ya think?

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Mark, it's kinda on hold right now. My 84 year old dad's, 81 year old significant other (Donna) just called from Kingman ER. Sounds like Pops had a heart attack today and maybe undergoing surgury tonite. Kinda worried but trying to remain 'up' about the results.

Soup looks good and will give it a go after more calls and and a couple of boozes!

Carl

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Mark, it's kinda on hold right now. My 84 year old dad's, 81 year old significant other (Donna) just called from Kingman ER. Sounds like Pops had a heart attack today and maybe undergoing surgury tonite. Kinda worried but trying to remain 'up' about the results.

Soup looks good and will give it a go after more calls and and a couple of boozes!

Carl

Sorry to hear that carl. My thoughts and prayers to your pops!

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that carl. My thoughts and prayers to your pops!

Right now.......all OK. Pops had 3 stints installed and in ICU tonite.

Soup was really good! (A couple of cocktails didn't hurt!)

Thanx,

Carl

pronstar

Reaction score
Right now.......all OK. Pops had 3 stints installed and in ICU tonite.

Soup was really good! (A couple of cocktails didn't hurt!)

Thanx,

Carl

My pops what in a similar situaiton...the stints saved his life :thumbsup

I'm hoping to make this soup tomorrow...can't wait!

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
My pops what in a similar situaiton...the stints saved his life :thumbsup

I'm hoping to make this soup tomorrow...can't wait!

Use a REALLY big pot. You'll end up with about 80 gallons of soup!

Not really, but this recipe requires a real soup pot. I had to use a second pot, side by side with the first one. Really good stuff!

Carl

boatnam2

Reaction score
Well after working 12 hours in the rain yesterday felt like cooking last night so i stopped at the store on thew way home....Did not find the basmatti rice but there is a chinese food place next to the store so i grabbed some cooked rice there....Turned out very good had way to much for just myself so i brought it to work to share it today.I was starving so i eat it as soon as i could but when i went to put it away a hour or so later the sauce had thickened up and the meatballs has sucked in my juice and it was really tasting good....Cant wait to fire it up today.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
My wife makes the stuff, couldn't tell you really what's in it. No canned anything though, thats for sure. And it has to have cabbage in it and a good amount of tapatillo (sp?) to give it that kick. You'll know its right when you get a little perspiration under your eyes :skull :D

Im a big fan of tapatio myself, but honestly if you use the "hot" taco seasoning mix, it has some kick to it and doesnt really need any other additives! :thumbsup

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
You do not need to cook the rice before mixing with the meat. Basmatti rice is that real fine grade of rice. Basmatti is what is says on the box!

You can buy the pre-cooked packages from costco. The box comes in an 8 pack. For the amount of meat used to make the meatballs, I would use 2 packages of rice. Here is the picture of the Basmati rice box. If you buy it at the supermarket, I beleive it comes in a brown potato sack looking bag.

DSC01904.jpg

boatnam2

Reaction score
I'm sure that rice is probably in the international section of staters but i was in a hurry and only looked in the rice section. No biggie is was still really good. Think I'm going to go with crushed tomatoes next time i make it.

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
This sounds so yummy. I'm going to stop at the store on the way home and attempt this tonight:D

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
This sounds so yummy. I'm going to stop at the store on the way home and attempt this tonight:D

Sorry I took so long to post this up. I know youve been askin for a while. Hope you enjoy it!

pronstar

Reaction score
Didn't have a chance to do it this weekend. But I'm gonna try it in a crock pot this week...I think that will work.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Didn't have a chance to do it this weekend. But I'm gonna try it in a crock pot this week...I think that will work.

Um......... no, unless your crockpot is a 4 gallon capacity.

You'll need a true soup/stock pot as it makes a LOT of soup.

Might fit in a crockpot if you halfed the recipe.

CC

pronstar

Reaction score

CC

I'm gonna have to either half the recipe, or even quarter it. It's a lot of soup :thumbsup

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score

CC

It is ALOT of soup! Look how big the pot is that I used. Its good for lots of leftover though!:thumbsup

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Made this last night for dinner with some fresh tortillas and a salad. YUM! The only thing I did was add salt and pepper to the meatball concoction, Premaid the rice and added some garlic salt and pepper to the soup.

It made a crapload of soup. Had to split into two pots. Excellent recipe...going to go home for lunch and have some:D

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Made this last night for dinner with some fresh tortillas and a salad. YUM! The only thing I did was add salt and pepper to the meatball concoction, Premaid the rice and added some garlic salt and pepper to the soup.

It made a crapload of soup. Had to split into two pots. Excellent recipe...going to go home for lunch and have some:D

I knew you'd like it! It does make a shitload of soup though.

pronstar

Reaction score
I've been doing the never-ending Christmas decorating at our house, haven't had a chance to even make a damned pot of soup yet. Can't wait to try it, and dammit, it better be good!!! :D

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Made the soup last night.....

Turned out great...made a couple revisions as it was pretty bland to start

I replaced the ground turkey with ground sausage (mixed it with the beef for the meatballs)

Used an extra package of taco seasoning (I had to remove some water so everything would fit and I prob dilluted the water a bit...like mentioned this makes a shit-ton of soup;):D)

1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
1 Tablespoon fresh black pepper
2 Teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili flake
1 teaspoon oegeno

Good eats:)

screaming pete

Reaction score
i made this dish also, and it came out great. i put to much rice in so it became more of a rice dish. put some parmazion cheese on top when serving..yum yum. we ate it for 3 days and put 2 containers in the freezer. i made a lot and glad i did. thanks for the dish:thumbsup:thumbsup

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Pretty Bland? I thought it was spicy!~

RD

Without the salt ,pepper and garlic in the mix it tasted like hot water with a tiny bit of seasoning.

Granted this isnt an exact recipe so the amount of water (pan size) could be alot different but it needed something else imho.

I also tend to like spicy food. Mine had a nice kick but didn't linger on where you need water with every bite.

You do know that stacy said she added spices to yours aswell right....lol;):cool:

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Made the soup last night.....

Turned out great...made a couple revisions as it was pretty bland to start

I replaced the ground turkey with ground sausage (mixed it with the beef for the meatballs)

Used an extra package of taco seasoning (I had to remove some water so everything would fit and I prob dilluted the water a bit...like mentioned this makes a shit-ton of soup;):D)

1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
1 Tablespoon fresh black pepper
2 Teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili flake
1 teaspoon oegeno

Good eats:)

Yo whitey..... albondigas isn't a soup with alot of flavor to begin with. If you want flavor, eat menudo or pazole you puto. :skull Leave it to you to add more SAUSAGE to go with your balls. :D:skull:gayfight

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Without the salt ,pepper and garlic in the mix it tasted like hot water with a tiny bit of seasoning.

Granted this isnt an exact recipe so the amount of water (pan size) could be alot different but it needed something else imho.

I also tend to like spicy food. Mine had a nice kick but didn't linger on where you need water with every bite.

You do know that stacy said she added spices to yours aswell right....lol;):cool:

:) I did add salt, pepper, garlic salt and a little chili powder (i think). I always taste and add spices to fit my liking with any recipe.

Lue

Banned
Reaction score
My wife makes the stuff, couldn't tell you really what's in it. No canned anything though, thats for sure. And it has to have cabbage in it and a good amount of tapatillo (sp?) to give it that kick. You'll know its right when you get a little perspiration under your eyes :skull :D

I'm sensing some beaner in you Rvrat. :D :thumbsup

Moms would also do the cabbage in the albondigas also. A little cilantro also gives the actual stock a nice flavor.

As far as the original posted recipe, pop a little dried oregano into the meatballs themselves for a little more flavor. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. :thumbsup

Lue

Banned
Reaction score

Read my previous reply Brandin. Cilantro and oregano go a long way with this soup. ;) :thumbsup

Also, we've always just made them with just beef. The pork adds flavor to the meat mix when it's grilled or broiled. Remember, you're just boiling the meatballs in this dish.

Also, don't leave the squash whole. Regardless of what you think, it's not cool to adorn your plate with a big squash and two meatballs at one end of it. :skull :D

Yo whitey..... albondigas isn't a soup with alot of flavor to begin with. If you want flavor, eat menudo or pazole you puto. :skull Leave it to you to add more SAUSAGE to go with your balls. :D:skull:gayfight

It's posole......fag. :skull :D

Lue

Banned
Reaction score
Don't let the tan fool you, I'm spanish ;)

Now lets talk posole. Much more difficult to make, but damn is it good if you know what you're doing :D

Moms used to make a bomb posole, but we haven't been able to perfect it. I know it's a bunch or California Chiles to make the sauce with some garlic and a couple other things. THe problem was in the "heat consistancy" at times the taste was barely there, others it burned on the way in and the way out. Been a while since we made it. Maybe I'll talk the wife into giving it another whirl.

Also, my mom would use "espinazo" spine sections of pork "for flavor" as she put it. Along with lean chunks of pork. Every now and then she'd throw in pigs feet, but that was a little Mexican for me.

Last edited:

PVHCA

Reaction score
I'd put all you Beans and Spanards to shame recreating this take on Minestrone!!:D

I'll give it a try over the New Years!!

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
I made it over New Years it came out great:thumbsup

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
It was very good :thumbsup

That hot sauce Ms Rat whipped up really gave it a kick. Wow.

Brownies anyone? :skull

Her hot sauce was the bomb:thumbsup I think we were eating good that night

Brownies shut the park down;)

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Glad to hear for the most part that everyone seems to enjoy my receipe!:D

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Glad to hear for the most part that everyone seems to enjoy my receipe!:D

Ah, Mark.....correction.....not "for the most part" rather ALL seem to enjoy!

And thanx for backin up that hill Friday! Sorry I didn't run into to youz guys the rest of the weekend.

Carl

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Ah, Mark.....correction.....not "for the most part" rather ALL seem to enjoy!

And thanx for backin up that hill Friday! Sorry I didn't run into to youz guys the rest of the weekend.

Carl

Carl, after I backed up that hill, and you guys passed, we procedded back down it, and I thought to myself...holyshit did we really just back UP that hill in 4wd locked! Sorry we missed you guys the rest of the weekend too!