WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Alec Baldwin

spectras only

Reaction score
Baldwin [ the producer ] and the woman [ armorer ] will be accountable, who was in charge of props [ weapons ] on the set. I'm surprised why she emptied the shells from the gun before police arrived šŸ¤” . Possibly realizing she effed up and trying covering her ass. When we were newbies in the army, we didn't load or checked our AK47, before and after live ammo target training excersize. We shot at our static and moving targets and the assigned sargeant handled our weapons, reloading and checking them. Shit happens and it did once . As we finished a routine training at the fire range, we were lying flat around the ground in a combat situation, emptying our 7.62cal live bullets into moving targets. We had to leave our AK's on the ground and the sarge in charge had to check each rifle to make sure all rounds were fired. If any one of you ever fired a Kalashnikow, knows you can set it for single or continous rounds. I've tested once to see, if I can shoot a single round on continuous setting by pulling the trigger gently, it can be done. Fast forward, we finished another target practice, somehow, a single shot was triggered out of someones' rifle as he picked it up. Obviously the safety wasn't locked and the rifle wasn't checked by the person in charge. The rifle being picked up by the soldier was second behind me in the line. True story, will never forget it. Luckily the bullet fired upwards into the air. You are in a commie army, we're told, a 4% fatality rate at any live excersize was accepted by army standards.

Last edited:

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
This is really simple. The details donā€™t matter - all guns are loaded. Holding the gun makes holder responsible for anything that happens while holder has it. You can ignore any ONE of the 4 rules of gun safety, but when you break the 2nd one, someoneā€™s gonna get shot

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
i have worked on 100's of sets and never had crew leave because of safety issues,
And even if they did walk. Where do you find a complete competent crew in a few hours ??

As much as dislike his politics and persona. I canā€™t really put all the blame on him ā€œas an actorā€. As the producer being a cheap ass POS. I hope they mail him hard.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

Alec Baldwin ignored the No. 1 rule of gun safety: Hollywood weapons expert​

Alec Baldwin, who accidentally killed his cinematographer on the set of his film ā€œRust,ā€ should have never pointed a gun at another human, even if he believed it was safe, Hollywood safety experts told The Post.

And the actor is now likely to face a gantlet of legal challenges ā€” including possible criminal charges ā€” as both the man who pulled the trigger and as the executive producer responsible for set safety, legal experts said.

ā€œLoaded or unloaded, a weapon never gets pointed at another human being,ā€ Hollywood firearms consultant Bryan Carpenter of Dark Thirty Film Services told The Post.

Baldwin, 63, fired a prop gun that killed Halyna Hutchins, 42, and injured the filmā€™s director, Joel Souza, on the ā€œRustā€ set in Santa Fe, NM, on Thursday.

For safety, all live firearms used in TV and film productions are typically aimed at a dummy point, not at equipment, cast or crew, Carpenter noted. Guns, he said, are never aimed at a person.

ā€œYou never let the muzzle of a weapon cover something you donā€™t intend to destroy,ā€ said Carpenter, whose New Orleans-based firm has worked on the sets of scores of TV and film productions. ā€œAll guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.ā€

Former filmmaker and former US National Shooting Team member Peter Lake put the blame on Baldwin.

ā€œThe buck stops with Alec Baldwin on every level,ā€ he told The Post. ā€œIt looks very bad for him. At least the captain of the Titanic had the good sense to go down with the ship.ā€

Baldwin was told it was safe to use the prop gun minutes before he fired the round that fatally struck Hutchins, a warrant application from the Santa Fe County Sheriffā€™s Office says.

At the time, Hutchins was behind a camera operatorā€™s monitor, looking over the operatorā€™s shoulders, a source close to the crew told The Los Angeles Times, and Souza was behind them.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
"Based on reporting that Baldwin allegedly ā€œjokedā€ that he should shoot Hutchins and Souza if he had to shoot the scene again, and then pulled the trigger".

Has anyone seen this reported? I can totally see this happening.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
247376120_3002533583346815_4781624881138472527_n-868656861.jpg

traquer

Reaction score
What a tragedy for the lady who was shot. I'm pretty sure someone royally messed up and there was gross negligence involved. Not a pure accident

rrrr

Reaction score

A thought occurred to me a few minutes ago...I apologize for the TLDR, but it's all relevant.

First, the background.

In a podcast a few weeks ago, the person hired to be the armorer on Rust said that when she was hired for her first gig as an armorer, she was worried that she was unqualified for the position. That first time was just months ago.

But according to her, everything turned out OK, and she credited that to the fact her dad had guns and she was comfortable around them.

OK.

I don't know shit about movie making. That being said, I have read extensive commentary made by real film industry armorers since this incident occurred, and being somewhat intelligent, I have developed a sense for how the job of armorer is to be conducted.

So, to me, being an armorer means that person has specific firearm training and experience. It also means that person is in a position of authority, and is able to stop filming if the firearm protocols aren't being followed. But there is much more.

Training and experience means you know how to operate all of the types of guns used in filming. You disassemble them regularly to clean the weapons, check them for defects, and verify safe operation. You instruct the actors in the operation of the guns, and also verify they have a good understanding of how the guns work.

You are exclusively the person that handles the firearms, loads them with whatever ammunition, blanks or squibs are required, and hands them to the actors. You are on set during filming with guns involved.

You secure the firearms after the scene is filmed. You keep electronic records of the dates and times the firearms are used, what ammunition is fired, and who fired them. This information is also entered into the set filming log.

Pretty cut and dried.

But that's not what happened on the set.

The Santa Fe County sheriff's office was on scene within minutes of the shooting, and conducted interviews with the people that witnessed the shooting. A district court judge issued a search warrant for the property just a couple of hours after the shooting.

The scene was being filmed in a small church building. Deputies said that the assistant director picked up one of three pistols "on a cart", took it inside the church, announced "cold gun" (in other words, unloaded), and handed it to Baldwin. The scene filming began, Baldwin raised the handgun, and pulled the trigger. The projectile hit the cinematographer in the chest, passed through her body, and struck another person standing behind the cinematographer.

And the questions began. The important question, and a simple one, is where was the armorer? Why wasn't she the person handing the weapon to the actor, which, according to other industry armorers, was standard protocol?

The deputies' reports make no mention of her presence. Why was the assistant director handling the firearm instead of the armorer? Who loaded the handgun? Why was a loaded gun present on the cart, apparently unguarded and unsupervised, and why were there three guns on the cart when the scene called for just one? Were the other guns loaded? How did the assistant director choose the gun he picked up, and was it the one intended for the scene?

Was she given the job of armorer because she had extensive experience with firearms? Because she knew and practiced firearm safety in accordance with guidelines issued by The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees? Was she even a member of the union? Because her father had worked in the film industry and had connections?

So what was it that popped into my head and generated this post? The questions about the armorer's experience, knowledge, and oversight of weapons all crystalize into one simple fact.

The job of armorer on a movie set should be filled by an ex-military NCO, or someone with that level of command experience and knowledge.

Instead, the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, was a 24 year old Hispanic female. This was a diversity hire.

Reports of her actions on a previous movie set reveal she was utterly unqualified to act as an armorer.

From The Independent:

The Daily Beast reported on Saturday that Ms Gutierrez-Reed was also the armourer on another film set where a firearms mishap shut down production. During work on the upcoming Nicholas Cage film The Old Way, the woman allegedly gave a gun to an 11-year-old actor without properly inspecting it for safety.

A crew member, who spoke on condition of anonymity, spoke with the publication about Ms Gutierrez-Reed's work on The Old Way.

ā€œShe was a bit careless with the guns, waving it around every now and again,ā€ the source said. ā€œThere were a couple times she was loading the blanks and doing it in a fashion that we thought was unsafe.ā€

According to another source familiar with the Rust production, there were two previous accidental discharges on the set before the fatal incident on Thursday.

ā€œThey had two negligent discharges on the same set, on the same day and still had jobs,ā€ the source told The Daily Beast. ā€œThey had struck out twice and were given a third opportunity.ā€

Ms Gutierrez-Reed was interviewed on the Voices of the West podcast while she was working on The Old Way, during which she said she was ā€œnervousā€ about her skills, but said she ultimately had a good experience.

ā€œYou know, I was really nervous about it at first, and I almost didnā€™t take the job because I wasnā€™t sure if I was ready ā€¦ but, doing it, like, it went really smoothly,ā€ she said in the interview last month.

Although Ms Gutierrez-Reed's name appears in a Santa Fe Sheriff's Office search warrant connected to the investigation into the accident, crew members who worked on the set and who have spoken with the press describe a production that was troubled across numerous departments.

Cost-saving measures and reportedly unsatisfactory set conditions resulted in seven IATSE-union crew members walking off the set in protest hours before the shooting occurred. Non-union workers were brought in to replace them on the day of the incident.

ā€œThey did everything they absolutely could to save a nickel at all costs,ā€ the source claimed. ā€œThey put everybody in jeopardy in one way or another, whether it was hiring less than qualified people to deal with firearms or it was the constant fight about housing people appropriately. In all my years of doing this, this is one of the worst productions Iā€™ve been on.ā€

Last edited:

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
ā€¦ Worked on a lot of movies for television ā€¦one quite successful series etcā€¦All real guns weā€™re kept in a lock boxā€¦ The only person who had a key was the propmasterā€¦ and there was never an incidentā€¦ also never saw an assistant director handle one of the gunsā€¦ It was either the propmaster or his underling who handed the gun to the actorā€¦Never saw one Assistant Director hand a gun to an actor???..,
ā€¦ Second assistant directors mainly get the actors out of their trailer and bring them up to the set for their sceneā€¦ First assistant directors are the ones that say we are rollingā€¦

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Basic gun safety....yes. Baldwin was given a prop to use. Does he or anyother end user fully inspect the work tools? No. Because the expert in props is the EXPERT.

I think baldwin is getting flamed due to his political views and beliefs. I dont think thats fair.
Its his right to speak freely, just like mine, yours, anyone in the dungeon or any where.

We are so divided as country right now its unreal. No more human element.
Haven't read everything... BUT FUCK THAT TURD! I deal with blank guns, simms guns, and real everyday commercially produced "real" guns. I doesn't matter, if you are going to handle a gun, you are responsible for it. That means you better sure as fuck know how to handle and inspect it. What we see here is a fucking idiot that shouldn't ever have a gun in his hand. Stop making excuses for the piece of shit and move on. If roles were reversed, he's be nuking your ass and using this as an excuse to push an anti gun agenda.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
The actors here hold a variety of fake guns, including replicas and rubber guns that do not fire. But the 'prop guns' that actually fire are real guns.

ā€œTheyā€™re easier to maintain than blank-firing only guns,ā€ Woods explained. ā€œBlank-firing guns can be dangerous, too, if used improperly.ā€

Woods says the real guns carry less risk of a dangerous malfunction, in part because they are easier to clean and ensure no debris gets into the gun.

Actors closely check their gun and their blank rounds before each show.

ā€œWe never point them at each other, we never point them ever at the audience,ā€ Woods said. ā€œWe off-shoot when we shoot them. So that means that I never actually directly point it at you. I point it like 15 or 20 degrees off.ā€

So the big take away here is you donā€™t actually aim at a person as it looks like you are for the camera or live audience. So dumbass all around
Exactly...

riverroyal

Reaction score
Haven't read everything... BUT FUCK THAT TURD! I deal with blank guns, simms guns, and real everyday commercially produced "real" guns. I doesn't matter, if you are going to handle a gun, you are responsible for it. That means you better sure as fuck know how to handle and inspect it. What we see here is a fucking idiot that shouldn't ever have a gun in his hand. Stop making excuses for the piece of shit and move on. If roles were reversed, he's be nuking your ass and using this as an excuse to push an anti
10-4. I was going to go give him a hug, probably wont now.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
I have been working on sets for years, the one part of the story that troubles me beyond the gun handlers negligence is when the union camera crew quit the production that morning due to unsafe and hell conditions the DP Halyna should have walked with them in support. These type of low budget productions should always be avoided and I stay far away from them. Alec being the producer is 100% at fault and liable. I have no patience for dirt bags like him and the conditions he created.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I keep reading the basic guns safety rules..

But I canā€™t help but think that libs donā€™t know basic guns safety.. let alone rules??

His response will be to shift Blame and to say guns are dangerous and should be outlawed. The left will support him.

I would wager nothing truly comes of this.

I also keep reading you never even point a prop gun st a person.. how many scenes can you think of off the top of your head where they are pointing a gun at someone?

One better. How many scenes can you think of where they pull the trigger snd the gun isnā€™t loaded?

Virtually every movie with guns they are pointing them at somebody sometime throughout

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Alec Baldwin was practicing a ā€œcross drawā€ in a church pew that required pointing his weapon at the camera during the prop gun mishap that left cinematographer Halyna Hutchins dead, newly released documents reveal.

Two new witness accounts made public by the Sante Fe Sheriffā€™s Office on Sunday night describe the harrowing moment the 42-year-old director of photography was shot inside the church building on the New Mexico set of the film ā€œRust.ā€

Baldwin was rehearsing the gun-retrieval method from a pew of the mock church at Bonanza Creek Ranch when he aimed at the camera, while both Hutchins and 48-year-old director, Joel Souza stood behind it.

Souza then says he heard a ā€œloud popā€ and realized both him and Hutchins were bleeding, according to a police interview.

The director told investigators that he remembered hearing the phrase ā€œcold-gunā€ while preparing for the scene, indicating the firearm wasnā€™t loaded and was safe for use, but he couldnā€™t remember if the gun, described as a ā€œrevolverā€ in the records, had been checked after the crew returned from a lunch break before the incident happened.

Another witness, cameraman Reid Russel, gave additional insight into the moments leading up to the horrific tragedy.

ā€œ[Russell] said while preparing, there was a shadow coming from the outside light and they had to move the camera at a different angle from Alec,ā€ the warrant says.

ā€œHe said Alec was trying to explain how he was going to draw out the firearm and where his arm would be at when the firearm was pulled from the holster,ā€ according to the warrant.

ā€œ[Russell] was not sure why the firearm was discharged and just remembered the loud bang from the firearm,ā€ the document states.

Souza, who was looking over Hutchinsā€™ shoulder when the Thursday tragedy unfolded, was struck in the shoulder and Hutchins in the chest.

ā€œ[Russel] said after the firearm was discharged, he remembered [Souza] having blood on his person, and [Hutchins] speaking and saying she couldnā€™t feel her legs,ā€ the record says.

ā€œ[Russel] stated once [Hutchins] was on the ground, medics began to treat her injury as she was bleeding while on the floor of the building they were in.ā€

Souza told authorities that Hutchins stumbled backward while complaining of pain before she was helped to the ground. Hutchins was then airlifted to the hospital, but could not be saved. Souza has since been released from the hospital.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
The prop gun that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on a New Mexico movie set had been used by crew members offsite for fun, a new report claims.

The gun, which was fired by Alec Baldwin on the set of the movie ā€œRust,ā€ may have even been loaded with live rounds when it was used for what was essentially target practice, TMZ reported.

Multiple sources connected to the production of the film told TMZ that the gun was fired at off-the-clock gatherings ā€“ which could explain how a live round found its way into the gunā€™s chamber.

Another source who was on set told the outlet that when cops arrived they found live ammo and blank rounds stored in the same area, where the fatal mix-up could have occurred.

Officials have not confirmed the claims, TMZ said.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Baldwin is a producer on this production. The working conditions were so bad that the Camera Operators and their assistants (and others too) walked off the job before the shooting. They were told that they would be staying close to the location but then the producers moved them to stay in Albuquerque about an hour away. The deceased should have walked with her crew that she was in charge of because of the working conditions but instead they hired scabs to come in. Who knows who this low budget POS hired to handle the firearms. But, they fucked up, and Baldwin fucked up too. If I'm handed a firearm and I'm told to aim at the camera I would inspect the firearm for blanks myself and never trust anyone, but that's just me. This story is gonna get big real quick.
Baldwin is an outspoken marxist as is the media and theyā€™ll soft peddle and omit his responsibility as producer in this.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
He should have known enough to check the gun himself. If a projectile is in the barrel, you would see it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wow, so first time Baldwin practices doing a cross draw with a heavy, old school revolver, he manages to bring it out on point in alignment with his target...even though the target was only supposed to have blanks fired towards it. In this case, the target was the camera position for desired cinematic effect. Baldwin has some skill then, if the story is true.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I keep reading the basic guns safety rules..

But I canā€™t help but think that libs donā€™t know basic guns safety.. let alone rules??

His response will be to shift Blame and to say guns are dangerous and should be outlawed. The left will support him.

I would wager nothing truly comes of this.

I also keep reading you never even point a prop gun st a person.. how many scenes can you think of off the top of your head where they are pointing a gun at someone?

One better. How many scenes can you think of where they pull the trigger snd the gun isnā€™t loaded?

Virtually every movie with guns they are pointing them at somebody sometime throughout
It's TV magic Dave. Did you believe Gumby walked on his own?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Wow, so first time Baldwin practices doing a cross draw with a heavy, old school revolver, he manages to bring it out on point in alignment with his target...even though the target was only supposed to have blanks fired towards it. In this case, the target was the camera position for desired cinematic effect. Baldwin has some skill then, if the story is true.
And be able to cock a single action in a sweep. I donā€™t know about movie firearms but those old wheel guns are hard to cock.

dave29

Reaction score
He should have known enough to check the gun himself. If a projectile is in the barrel, you would see it.
I can't even count the times I've handed someone a gun including in a gun store and they never checked to see if it was loaded. When that happens, I tell them to check the gun. Most people assume too much and are basically lazy.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I can't even count the times I've handed someone a gun including in a gun store and they never checked to see if it was loaded. When that happens, I tell them to check the gun. Most people assume too much and are basically lazy.
That's the problem and it's something that needs to be taught, not assumed. These fucking clowns obviously shouldn't have been messing around with guns period.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
šŸ˜³If that happens at a gun store I'd be finding another.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Right?!
Same thing I thought reading that. Apparently Alec can aimšŸ˜³

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Guess my old thumbs donā€™t have the strength anymore lol.

traquer

Reaction score
Someone had a great point above about the armorer having a position of authority. Meaning it should be some grumpy old vet who doesn't give a fuck if he or she has to send everyone home for the day to cool off. It should be someone that's just doing it for fun and not cause they need the career. Hell the libs might learn a thing or two from them and start to understand guns

4Waters

Reaction score
Baldwin [ the producer ] and the woman [ armorer ] will be accountable, who was in charge of props [ weapons ] on the set. I'm surprised why she emptied the shells from the gun before police arrived šŸ¤” . Possibly realizing she effed up and trying covering her ass. When we were newbies in the army, we didn't load or checked our AK47, before and after live ammo target training excersize. We shot at our static and moving targets and the assigned sargeant handled our weapons, reloading and checking them. Shit happens and it did once . As we finished a routine training at the fire range, we were lying flat around the ground in a combat situation, emptying our 7.62cal live bullets into moving targets. We had to leave our AK's on the ground and the sarge in charge had to check each rifle to make sure all rounds were fired. If any one of you ever fired a Kalashnikow, knows you can set it for single or continous rounds. I've tested once to see, if I can shoot a single round on continuous setting by pulling the trigger gently, it can be done. Fast forward, we finished another target practice, somehow, a single shot was triggered out of someones' rifle as he picked it up. Obviously the safety wasn't locked and the rifle wasn't checked by the person in charge. The rifle being picked up by the soldier was second behind me in the line. True story, will never forget it. Luckily the bullet fired upwards into the air. You are in a commie army, we're told, a 4% fatality rate at any live excersize was accepted by army standards.
Heard this morning that there wasn't an armorer on set, and that it wasn't supposed to be a live gun, it was supposed to be a sealed barrel non-blank gun for trigger pulls only. The asst. director is the one that grabbed the gun off the prop masters cart and handed to Alec, the AD is not supposed to take anything off the prop masters cart especially a gun as prop masters (even though they aren't supposed/allowed to handle live guns) take firearm safety classes as well to minimize mistakes like this.

I have been in gun stores looking at guns and watched the salesman clear the gun hand it to me and I clear it again, they have said to me that you can't be more careful, good on you to not trust me. I trust no one, I clear every gun I pickup, hell my 10yo son knows how to properly clear a gun.

spectras only

Reaction score
^^^ yes, the assistant director will also be in deep trouble besides Baldwin and the armourer chick.

4Waters

Reaction score
^^^ yes, the assistant director will also be in deep trouble besides Baldwin and the armourer chick.
She wasn't an armorer, she was a prop master, prop masters can deal with rubber guns and sealed barrel guns. She brought a live gun on set so yeah she is gonna be in trouble for sure but she was not an armorer.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Sorry Dan, but you know being a gun owner, that is a pile of garbage. Manuel hands Pedro a shovel, Pedro hits Charlie over the head with it and it's Manuel's fault??????????????????????
If Manuel hands Pedro a real shovel instead of a breakaway shovel that he tells him it is safe then yes it is Manuel's fault., Trust me you would be surprised how little common sense some people have, you have to treat them like little kids sometimes. its so stupid that you can't even have a real computer on set because instead of not touching it some idiot always would try and either check email or play solitaire with them, and you can't go back on set and say , Hey dips hit leave the fucking graphic alone that we just spent hours working on.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
If Manuel hands Pedro a real shovel instead of a breakaway shovel that he tells him it is safe then yes it is Manuel's fault., Trust me you would be surprised how little common sense some people have, you have to treat them like little kids sometimes. its so stupid that you can't even have a real computer on set because instead of not touching it some idiot always would try and either check email or play solitaire with them, and you can't go back on set and say , Hey dips hit leave the fucking graphic alone that we just spent hours working on.

Exactly. That is why you have those people on set. You are not going to rely on someone that does not know what they are doing in many cases (some random actor) to load, clear, handle, safely store, or declare a firearm hot or cold.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
But !!!
Did Alec want to kill this guy ?
Good way right to do it . On the film set

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Imagine if this were to happen in Santa Fe 100 years ago, Alec might have been seen in a public event swinging from the gallows...
If it were 100 years ago, Alec wouldn't have been the only one armed...150 years ago, more armed than not in that area.
Probably wouldn't be a need to find a rope.

Once again, I was born in the wrong era.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.šŸ˜
Reaction score
If it were 100 years ago, Alec wouldn't have been the only one armed...150 years ago, more armed than not in that area.
Probably wouldn't be a need to find a rope.

Once again, I was born in the wrong era.

hold that pose, Albuquerque's waiting for you.