WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Algae Bloom in Havasu?

JordanDangerfield

Reaction score
I'm currently in Havasu and noticed a green slime on the water in the Channel as well as other areas on the lake. Does anyone know if this is algae and if it is harmful to pets? We have our pup out with us and would die if anything happened to her.

Attachments

• PXL_20201120_151902127.jpg
    PXL_20201120_151902127.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 165

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Our pup was tromping around in it couple days ago but we did not let her drink it. She normally likes to stomp her front paw then bite the water splash.

Reaction score
must be a recent occurrence water was clear a week and a half ago in the channel. now @ telephone cove lake mohave I didn't want to get within 6 feet of the water, green slime...

I never let my dogs drink lake water, I give them bottled water.

PlanB

Reaction score
Keep your dogs away the green stuff on top of the water. There is actually a guy in town that monitors the algae out there that my wife has talked to. I will see if she can post up the info he gave her, but staying away from the green slime on top of the water (mostly seen in coves) was one of the things he said to do for our dogs.

MissHavasuCig

Reaction score
I spoke with a super nice man at Mohave Water Authority in Havasu last year. He says we’re pretty safe here in Havasu because we’re a flow through system from Mead to Parker... water isn’t stagnant... It’s been more of a thing recently because of quagga mussels, which are also making the dreaded weeds bad. He said in 2014/2015 it was real bad.

His advice - be careful if water is cloudy green with algae. If it’s just a little present in/on water not too much concern. Obviously, it’s better to be where the water moves... more problems where the water sits.

2Driver

Reaction score
LOL The last person I’d beleive is a guy for a governemnt agency.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I noticed it being pretty heavy in some spots of the lake this past week. I was about to park on beach in steamboat and it made me think twice... An algee bloom is common, just not usually this late in season, however it has been pretty warm still. This week the water actually dropped to mid 60's on the lake. Won't last long, I don't recall any health risks to it in previous years, not many peeps gonna be jumping into lake with the lower temps. Personally, I would keep my dog out of it tho.