WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Alien Cowl?

Ultra912

Reaction score
I have a 1996 200 Merc XRi and was wondering if they make a cowl that has a more modern shape rather than the factory squarish one

022.JPG

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

Ultra912

Reaction score
Nice. In your opinion will that cowl look wrong on my motor since the lower unit isn't different?

Hydroman55

Reaction score
I think it would look good in black to match mid section not the carbon fiber.
41B875D7-08FD-4831-9FBA-F69F4176B360.jpeg

As One Day said, you need to remove power head, 4 hours or less including a few beers to remove and replace if you have never done it, piece of cake.

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Your point? I assume your comment is negative.
I could do it in well under 2 hours with beer. Based on his question, probably doesn’t even understand what required engine attachment is needed for a hoist, fork lift, gantry, etc.
I suck....excuse the fuck out of me. No you suck pay attention to who your fucking taking with.

Last edited:

HST4ME

Reaction score

Backlash

Reaction score
I could do it in well under 2 hours with beer. Based his question, probably doesn’t even understand what required engine attachment is needed for a hoist, fork lift, gantry, etc.
I suck....excuse the fuck out of me. No you suck pay attention to who your fucking taking with.

Hydroman he was just busting your balls! I guarantee he meant nothing by it! 😉👍

Ultra912

Reaction score
I think it would look good in black to match mid section not the carbon fiber. View attachment 993299
As One Day said, you need to remove power head, 4 hours or less including a few beers to remove and replace if you have never done it, piece of cake.

Where can I get one? I think I'm gonna go with a blank and no graphics and have it done to match gel on the hull.

Ultra912

Reaction score
I think it would look good in black to match mid section not the carbon fiber. View attachment 993299

Is that a hydraulic jack plate or a bracket? Looks to obviously have more of a setback than mine but similar billet and bolts. Had mine made 20 years ago and all the anodizing faded so I had it powder coated. Makes for a much deeper color

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Is that a hydraulic jack plate or a bracket? Looks to obviously have more of a setback than mine but similar billet and bolts. Had mine made 20 years ago and all the anodizing faded so I had it powder coated. Makes for a much deeper color
Yes hydraulic ram all hand built not purchased (ram is from an old Johnson trim cylinder). 16 inches of set back and powder coated to match all other hardware.

HST4ME

Reaction score
There is a couple other details with the pan and poppit dump you have to pay attention to..and you will need two of these gaskets
27-823142 2

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Is that a Bob's exhaust housing? I've been kicking around the thought of putting one on mine but have never seen one on an engine before.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I could do it in well under 2 hours with beer. Based on his question, probably doesn’t even understand what required engine attachment is needed for a hoist, fork lift, gantry, etc.
Engine attachment? You mean like 2 ratchet straps? That what I have used several times. never an issue. lol!

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Engine attachment? You mean like 2 ratchet straps? That what I have used several times. never an issue. lol!
I was trying to set the bar for Ultra as it appeared his experience is limited.
The attachment I was referencing is the Mercury lifting eyelet which threads into the flywheel at the crank nut. Not sure on the part number, think they were around $75 years ago honestly don’t remember.
Yes there are other ways it can be done without the fixture as you point out.

stingray11

Reaction score
4 hours?...you guys suck....
It could take 4 hours just to get the studs to slide out of the midsection after all the nuts are off in some cases, depends where the boat was used.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
It could take 4 hours just to get the studs to slide out of the midsection after all the nuts are off in some cases, depends where the boat was used.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
4 days sometimes if it was a salt engine

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Is that a Bob's exhaust housing? I've been kicking around the thought of putting one on mine but have never seen one on an engine before.
0AC8D7C6-1C59-474C-B433-AF9CCBF1A970.jpeg
Not a Bob’s but same approach. Mine has a water pressure activated baffle that opens full at about 30 MPH. Not everyday off the shelf stuff.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Not a Bob’s but same approach. Mine has a water pressure activated baffle that opens full at about 30 MPH. Not everyday off the shelf stuff.
Thats pretty cool, so its manually operated allowing you to open it up once you leave the dock? Looks like a offshore style snout welded to a fishing mid.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Thats pretty cool, so its manually operated allowing you to open it up once you leave the dock? Looks like a offshore style snout welded to a fishing mid.
Thats what I was thinking. More pics and info please!

Hydroman55

Reaction score
The ram is connected to a SS tubing water pick up (just like a speedometer pick up) via braided tubing.
Once the boat gets to about 30mph there’s enough pressure on the ram to push the baffle open so all automatic no manual.

0312EE7D-D912-43EE-ACEC-9391C10B6504.jpeg

Hydroman55

Reaction score
Especially when you have the engine raised up above bottom. The set up allows for engine up at idle without full exhaust existing above water.