WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

All aluminum radiators for late model trucks?

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I've got a 2018 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 and noticed a little seep of coolant on one of the radiator tanks so I'm going to be replacing it soon. I've always wanted to drop an all aluminum radiator into my trucks but never did it. I believe the current radiator is single row (?) and when towing the temps creep up higher than i want them to at times. I'm looking for a drop in all aluminum with 3 or 4 row radiator for the truck, who makes a high quality unit that won't break the bank?

Alternatively I'd consider the just getting the radiator that comes in the 2500 or 3500 Sierra if its a drop in and all the lines connect up the same.

What say RDP?

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Watching my ‘17 GMC is going in tomorrow for a radiator same seep on plastic tank!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I blew a tank out on my 2001 1500. My father-in-law had a 2500 part truck in his yard that he told me to have at it, so I stole the radiator and shroud off of it and put it on my half ton. It's a solid 6" wider not. I've noticed the Temps stay much lower longer now.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've used these guys MANY times for radiators. Never any late model stuff though. You might wanna see what they have?

For late model stuff, 1-800-radiator. Not sure if they sell to the public though.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Last place I worked we had a bunch of POS Dodges that took a shit

77charger

Reaction score
My 2004 2500 radiator had a seeping tank i replaced it with a napa one.Seems towing it runs a tad warmer on the hills though.

johnnyC

Reaction score
if you change your rad look at or call the mfg for specs and compare them ... they're not all the same...... you want to go with a tube 11/4 to 11/2 inches deep and a fin count of 14-16 fins per inch for max cooling capacity these specs really make a difference....!!!!!!

Hypnautic

Reaction score
I run a Griffin Radiator in my Tbird SC.
Www.griffinrad.com
When I had to replace the Escalade there were no direct replacements that offered a larger core or rows even though there is plenty of room to accommodate.

77charger

Reaction score
if you change your rad look at or call the mfg for specs and compare them ... they're not all the same...... you want to go with a tube 11/4 to 11/2 inches deep and a fin count of 14-16 fins per inch for max cooling capacity these specs really make a difference....!!!!!!
I learned that a long time ago on my square body suburban.Thought new 4 row was gonna cool great did fine in 80 and under once over that it heated quick towing a boat,Friend saw it told me right away a piece of shit mentioned the fin count etc pinted me in right direction got a new 3 row core tight fin count thing never ran over 180 after that.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
I learned that a long time ago on my square body suburban.Thought new 4 row was gonna cool great did fine in 80 and under once over that it heated quick towing a boat,Friend saw it told me right away a piece of shit mentioned the fin count etc pinted me in right direction got a new 3 row core tight fin count thing never ran over 180 after that.
Replaced the radiator on my 99' suburban with what was available at AutoZone and it was still struggling. Was cleaning the air filter and box today, I noticed the stupid setup behind the lower marker light. Pulled out the light assembly and it did good today with a 7k lbs load today.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
Blew the surge tank on my 64' thunderbird yesterday and need to figure out best approach for a stock 390ci.

petie6464

Reaction score
I looked at Mishimoto also for 4th Gen. Ram Cummins that would get hot pulling hard loaded heavy.

I just replaced with an OEM style and replaced the A/C condenser core, it was more the issue I believe as it sits if front of the radiator and was beat up from road debris, restricting air flow. Bottom line cured the problem.

johnnyC

Reaction score
one last thing i forgot to mention check the tube spacing .... bought a griffin and it had 3/8 tube spacing.... later on another car i bought a afco it had 1/2 tube spacing and it didn't cool as well