WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

All new 540 build

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I have just started planning a tall deck 540 build using a brand new Brodix block that was purchased for another customer, and plans changed. I don't have a new crank for it, so that might be changed if someone wanted longer or shorter stroke, but I do have some 6.8" Molnar "power adder" rods that would hold up well to a forced induction build.

The block has already been machined and is in my hands, so that's one hurdle that's already been jumped. If no one currently has the need or interest, I will make a couple of decisions and either build a short block or a complete engine to keep here for sale in case someone needs a quick replacement.

mattyc

Reaction score
I have just started planning a tall deck 540 build using a brand new Brodix block that was purchased for another customer, and plans changed. I don't have a new crank for it, so that might be changed if someone wanted longer or shorter stroke, but I do have some 6.8" Molnar "power adder" rods that would hold up well to a forced induction build.

The block has already been machined and is in my hands, so that's one hurdle that's already been jumped. If no one currently has the need or interest, I will make a couple of decisions and either build a short block or a complete engine to keep here for sale in case someone needs a quick replacement.
Barry, why use a tall deck for a 540? Benefits to using the longer rod?

JJ McClure

Reaction score
Barry. Could I talk to you for a bit about troubleshooting my dads ole 468bbc?

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Barry I am going to send you a PM. I am scratching my head right now on a deal.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Can’t beat the quad rotor look with the big intake going through the middle imo 👍🏼

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I could incorporate these parts into a build, super nice intake and Jesel belt drive polished and clear coated.

IMG_20230316_170548789[1].jpg
IMG_20230316_170124260_HDR[1].jpg

Jake141

Reaction score
I have a 3.3 whipple that I want to use on a new engine. Not sure who’s building said engine yet… I’d like to around 850hp turning 6k rpm

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I have a 3.3 whipple that I want to use on a new engine. Not sure who’s building said engine yet… I’d like to around 850hp turning 6k rpm
That should be realistic. I built a 516 cu in with a 3.3 in 2009 that is still running 120 mph plus in a Stoker. @stokerwhore

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
1185759_10201977192462302_1378821106_n.jpg

Tried to find pics of it on the stand in 2009 but i think those are on "my space" lol. that's a long time ago. There was also a thread on performance boats. not sure that's around anymore either.

Jake141

Reaction score
1185759_10201977192462302_1378821106_n.jpg

Tried to find pics of it on the stand in 2009 but i think those are on "my space" lol. that's a long time ago. There was also a thread on performance boats. not sure that's around anymore either.
That’s awesome, I see a lot of outboard stokers, it’s cool to see one with a blower motor in it

connollyed

Reaction score
This....with twin turbos in a connolly would be pretty trick. Most guys we with connolys run blowers.
1000hp capable,?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
This....with twin turbos in a connolly would be pretty trick. Most guys we with connolys run blowers.
1000hp capable,?
I have done a few twin turbo engines. I actually worked for Gale Banks in the late 70's, but with a Gentry turbo setup on a 540 I have had a couple that ran on the dyno at 1050 and 1075 hp on pump gas, and they stay together. It would be my choice if I was building for myself.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
That’s awesome, I see a lot of outboard stokers, it’s cool to see one with a blower motor in it
Yep, that's the one I built for my buddy Jason, runs fast, no engine issues for all those years! I actually had a blower belt guard made to protect back seat passengers, but he didn't ever get it mounted.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Turbos…..the best way to add some air and party…. Most people can’t handle/understand how a turbo works and use the power to advantage..let’s start a THREAD

sintax

Reaction score
Turbos…..the best way to add some air and party…. Most people can’t handle/understand how a turbo works and use the power to advantage..let’s start a THREAD

The biggest issue with marine turbo systems is there’s really only one name in the game. Carson has the full market share, and unfortunately you better come with a fat wallet and a large time frame to get your setup in hand.

I wish some other guys made a similar product, but clearly it’s a niche market.

Slapping an 871/1071 on a stout bottom end is just cheaper and easier from a ringing perspective. Once you get the turbine maps sorted for your setup, modern turbos are actually pretty simple to tune.

If all things were equal, I’m sure more people would go the turbo route.

I would love any and more tech threads though, I’m always hungry to learn.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
OK, no one is jumping up and down interested in buying it, I may just go ahead and build a really nice jet boat engine, single Dominator with that Jesel belt drive!
Wish I had a boat for it.

farmo83

Reaction score
The biggest issue with marine turbo systems is there’s really only one name in the game. Carson has the full market share, and unfortunately you better come with a fat wallet and a large time frame to get your setup in hand.

I wish some other guys made a similar product, but clearly it’s a niche market.

Slapping an 871/1071 on a stout bottom end is just cheaper and easier from a ringing perspective. Once you get the turbine maps sorted for your setup, modern turbos are actually pretty simple to tune.

If all things were equal, I’m sure more people would go the turbo route.

I would love any and more tech threads though, I’m always hungry to learn.

Mercury runs turbos on all their big stuff now.

As far as seat of your pants feel in a boat I would love to see info on how turbos stack up against Whipples and other screw blowers.

sintax

Reaction score

As far as seat of your pants feel in a boat I would love to see info on how turbos stack up against Whipples and other screw blowers.

yup!

I'm unsure about what hardware they run, but i'd suspect they designed their own hardware to their needs and someone is making the kits for them.

as far as seat of the pants, i've been in a few of each, and nothing beats a blown + injected setup, story over

Teague_JR

Reaction score

Whipple's have better throttle response. The blade opens and boom horsepower, blade closes and you have instant engine braking. Whipples make a nice flat-ish boost curve and torque curve and will pull horsepower and RPM until the engine runs out of volumetric efficiency of heads and cam, so better top end power potential and more RPM headroom for smaller gears.

Turbos can be easily electronic wastegated for digital boost control, so you can run an inverted boost curve and make MASSIVE bottom and mid range torque. Tons of boost down low where the engine is less prone to detonate, taper it off up top. Turbos take half a second or so to spool and unspool but with modern tuning the lag is a lot less pronounced, but it is still there. Pump Gas Turbo big blocks tend to be done with HP at 6500 or so while having turbos that are big enough to make power but small enough to be drivable.

For example, a pump gas big block making 1300 hp:

Screw compressor: 1300 hp at 7000 rpm, 1200 lb/ft at 4500 rpm
turbo: 1300 hp at 6300 rpm, 1450 lb/ft at 3000-4000 rpm

Its been proven in every kind of racing that turbos will beat blowers around a course. The massive torque exiting corners is a huge advantage. I enjoy the benefits of either setup. Snappy motors are fun to throttle. Forced induction horsepower is fun no matter what.

Last edited:

connollyed

Reaction score
OK, no one is jumping up and down interested in buying it, I may just go ahead and build a really nice jet boat engine, single Dominator with that Jesel belt drive!
If I hadn't put a chunk down for getting the interior done, I would've been all over it.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
How much for the block
Only way I would consider selling the block is if the 6.8" rods sold with it since they would not work with any of the standard deck blocks I have here.