WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Alright need some moral advice

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
At 34 years old im starting to learn that the days of a man's handshake and word mean nothing.

A week ago I had a little run in with my neighbors dog. My neighbor has a healer that quite frankly for the past years has been a real pain. The dog is flat out mean. I cant even be in my backyard without the dog snapping and trying to get my family through the fence. 4 years ago he had nipped my elbow while I was walking along the fence to get to the side door of my garage. I brushed that one off as my neighbor is truly a nice guy and doesn't want anybody to be harmed. 2 years ago the dog was at the lazy dog restaurant in the mall and took off after a Harley knocking the rider to the ground and causing some paint work damage.

Well now to the fun part, last Friday I was pulling weeds along the fence line, i stood up to talk to the neighbors wife and the bastard got me again. Only this time I needed stitches.

Here is my problem, the neighbor and I had a simple agreement, he pays the cost for medical bills and the dog gets relocated. Well Wednesday he text me saying that getting rid of the dog is causing hell on his family. I offered a solution, he pays for a better fence with an additional 12" height and we call it square.

Last night the deal took a turn. Neighbor texts and says that the wall will be a goal for next year. Well, I have 3 kids in my house all under 4 years old, I will not settle for a year time line for a wall. From the beginning the neighbor said turn it into his homeowners as he is short on cash. I initially offered the relocation and for him to cover the medical because I didn't want to see him have to pay a heavy deductible or have his homeowners drop him. I'm trying to be reasonable here but after him not following through im a afraid that it has come to the point where i need to be more stern in this. My kindness is not weakness, dont screw me!

What say the RDP brain trust, am I justified in going all in with this? I really do like the guy but he doesn't have the testicular fortitude to do what he needs to do, is it time to step up my game?
20200612_165414.jpg
20200612_153424.jpg
20200612_153422.jpg
20200619_170111.jpg
20200619_170149.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Hdgasser

Reaction score
Call animal control, dog needs to be removed from the home for safety reasons... posted above!

What if that was one of your kids??? Chances are the child would be alot worse off.

Your a bigger man than I.... i woulda hung that fucker from the tree in my front yard.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Call animal control, dog needs to be removed from the home for safety reasons... posted above!

What if that was one of your kids??? Chances are the child would be alot worse off.

Your a bigger man than I.... i woulda hung that fucker from the tree in my front yard.
I agree. That’s standard protocol if a dog attacks another person isn’t it? I would tell him he holds up his end of the bargain or you file a report with animal control.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Dont wait for a child to be bit to really fix the problem. Money talks... turn it into his home owners insurance and let him figure out the solution. Dont let his problem become yours! I knew a dog that bit people and it was known. Went on for years and passed off until it clamped on a kids face...

Last edited:

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Already called animal control and they had taken a report. Standard protocol as stated by the officer is 10 day quarintine, however that damn dog was in his yard this am.

No there wasn't any threat to the wife, i was on my side of the fence. Dog has an incredible leap. The worst part is that i was telling the wife that I had found evidence of rat poison in the yard and keep an eye out for the dogs and kids. (We have fruit rats in the neighborhood and someone is apparently throwing out the poison)

DWC

Reaction score
I’d give him one more chance and turn it into animal control. He’ll be forced to get rid of the dog or lose his insurance. It’s a SOB but i wouldn’t take the chance that he’ll go after a kid. No way.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Protect your family. Put up the fence that you need. Taller fences make better neighbors anyway. Let him deal with his insurance company. my guess is they will make the dog go away.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I learned long ago when was hit from behind at a Stop. DO NOT MESS AROUND, Contact an Attorney and I promise everything will be FINE and you will be paying nothing. I believe you will be receiving a Huge Check. You gave him way Too many opportunities to make this right. Actually he should have jumped at it and been happy. You can not Live like this always worrying about the Dog attacking your Children. DOES THE DOG HAVE ALL HIS SHOTS?

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Thats the thing that really has me bummed, I didnt want this to get messy, but the guy just can't seem to do what needs to be done. I'm really trying to take him and his financial situation into consideration but the guy can't seem to follow through. Even he hates the dog but can't seem to stand up to his family. I tried to hope for the best but its clear that the dog is a liability. I cant run any risk with my 5 month son and 3 and 1 year old nieces.

The dog is up on shots so that was good. I tried to suture it myself as I am a paramedic by trade, but I didnt have the right equipment in my home kit.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Take pictures, there is an app called "timestamp" it gives the location and time right on the photo. (Some insurance companies require this to prove timeframe and location)
In the picture, you see where it shows "CA" - that is one of many options you can choose as a setting BEFORE you take photo - set it once you open the app, and will always do what is preset from that point unless you change it. address of location, city/state, GPS.... so the next time the dog is out you have proof.

You have been too kind. Don't let a few stories about a man and his word over a handshake that went bad destroy your thoughts on it. it's like blaming all the cops because of a few bad ones. There are many gentlemen out there that only need a handshake and your word.... MILLIONS of us!

Your neighbor - is your neighbor that you thought was your friend.
TimeStamp.jpg

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Imagine those same bites on your children's arm and think real hard. Imagine the pain that you felt at 34 and imagine what it would do to a 4 year old. That should tell you what to do. I wouldn't settle at the slightest.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
You know what to do. Take all the steps necessary including:
1. Don't talk to your neighbor again. That didn't work.
2. Done - File report with animal control
3. If it's an option, file report with the police
4. Immediately find and contact an injury attorney
5. Don't build a wall or fence (don't pay out of pocket)

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Make the dog go away because sooner or later your going to be on here with a kid getting it or worst the dog goes now . And turn it in to his homeowners ins for payment +

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Thats the thing that really has me bummed, I didnt want this to get messy, but the guy just can't seem to do what needs to be done. I'm really trying to take him and his financial situation into consideration but the guy can't seem to follow through. Even he hates the dog but can't seem to stand up to his family. I tried to hope for the best but its clear that the dog is a liability. I cant run any risk with my 5 month son and 3 and 1 year old nieces.

The dog is up on shots so that was good. I tried to suture it myself as I am a paramedic by trade, but I didnt have the right equipment in my home kit.

Believe me, I also took the High Road and felt sorry for this Young Gal, when her Insurance Company along with this POS adjuster jacking me around on Damage on and on and they used shitty used parts. The vehicle was NEVER close to what it was,along with a CARFAX dealio (BLACK MARK) sorry BLM. I was left stressed out, a messed up vehicle and so much head ache. I told myself NEVER AGAIN.

You have Been way Too Good= There are people who will Walk All Over You if you let them and Twist & Tweak it around until it is your Problem.

Time for Talk has EXPIRED. DAMN, MAN LOOK at your Arm and think if was your Child's Face/EYE or Lack of One.

DO IT!!

rrrr

Reaction score

You want to make the news? This South Dakota family did.

Call the cops and animal control. This isn't one of those times where you should be a nice guy. Don't talk to him again, drop the fucking hammer. Now.

Baby boy killed by family's Belgian Malinois dog

Published June 12, 2020
Associated Press

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - A six-week old South Dakota boy was mauled to death by his family's dog, sheriff's officials said.

The Sioux Falls Argus Leader reports that the Belgian Malinois attacked the baby Thursday afternoon at a home in Hartford, about 15 miles (24 kilometers) northwest of Sioux Falls.

The Minnehaha County Sheriff's Office said in a statement that first responders found the boy with several bite wounds. He was flown by helicopter to a hospital where he died of his injuries, the sheriff's office said.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Getting rid of the dog is causing hell on his family? LOL. Tell him it’s causing holes in your arms and your kids and wife are terrified to be in the back yard. Tell him not using your backyard for a year is not an option and either the dog goes or he can deal with your attorney. Protect your family. How would you feel if you take a soft stance on this and the dog hurts one of your kids?

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I didn't read the other posts but I can tell you as a dog lover... and a guy who had to put down a loved great dane that kept biting neighbors dogs and people.... that dog will bite again, and next time it might be one of you family; kids and wife. You just gotta get on this. Sorry, I know it sucks but trust me.... you gotta get involved.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Yea..... as stated above. Would your kind, endearing attitude be the same if those pix of stiches be on your 4 yr old's arm? OR Face ?

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
And you guys are right, I've tried to have patience but my clock is out. I've tried to look at this from his shoes and kept his financial situation in mind. But honestly of the guy is too ignorant to see how generous I have been itnis time to change that.

ssc

Reaction score
Been there, done that. Once you made the report to animal control, the dog is to be guaranteed for 10 days. AC is to do an investigation. The dog owners are usually required to post signs on their property that there is a potentially vicious dog. There are other requirements as well. The owner is usually given a summons to appear at a hearing that takes place at animal control/pound. The purpose is to determine if the dog is a vicious animal. If found to be a VA, then the owner must adhere to strict requirements, such as keeping the dog in the house or in an enclosed kennel if outside. The dog must be leashed and muzzled at all other times. There are other requirements as well.

If the owner fails to comply, then AC can take the dog and put it down. Hence, if you see the dog roaming in the yard, take a pic and call AC. Problem solved. Generally you as the victim should receive a subpoena to appear at the hearing. You should stay in contact with AC to make sure they are following up. Make it clear you want to testify. If your neighbor is short on cash, it will easier and cheaper to get rid of the dog.

Assuming this took place in CA, dog bites are strict liability. There is no one free bite. There is a reason we have homeowners ins. You have been more patient than most, but it is now business, not personal. You need to protect yourself and your kids. I would hire an attorney and sue. He will have to turn it over to his HOI and pay the deductible. On your side it will be a question of the damages, as Liability is established. I suppose he could allege you reached over the fence, but that's why we have courts. Again he may just decide to get rid of the mut.

Lastly, as I told many of my clients, assume anything you are doing is being filmed, so don't do anything stupid.

Cheers, Steve

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
” Neighbor tells you he wants the dog gone also”? Help him out,you handle taking dog to pound for him.He informs his family the dog ran off etc.Even better,both of you take the dog in. Just matter time before disaster,he has no intention rebuild wall.

BlowMe

Reaction score
I think like all of us on here, our personal safety and well being is one thing....but our kids and wife and family's is another and will always come first. Bullets are cheap.....tell him he can get rid of the dog or you will. His choice....I am a huge dog lover and my great Dane boxer mix is very protective of the yard and the house and me. If he ever got ahold of someone I would be heartbroken but would do the right thing and put him down....that guy is just hoping that your a push over and is buying time that's all....like I said, give him one last option....you get rid of it or he does. Simple as that

Duramax

Reaction score
You seem like a really nice guy, so I can’t for the life of me understand why you are choosing your neighbor over your family. You say that he doesn’t have balls? You need to look in the mirror. I don’t mean to be an asshole, but if there was any kind of perceived danger to my 3yr old daughter, it would be down immediately.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Yeah it happened here in temecula. Thats my problem, im trying to be empathetic to him but the bottom line is that the dog has to leave. I get a dog protecting the property, but when I'm on my side of the fence and not agitating the dog, there is no exception for that dogs behavior. The dog has now shown that it will go after anything. The guys daughter is a hot headed Latina and the dog feeds off that. Quite frankly I could give a shit less about the daughter and I have a feeling she is the one causing problems with the dog leaving.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Open up the gate and let the dog in and drill it with a 12 Guage. Tell the neighbors and cops that it jumped the fence and you were in fear of your life and your family. Then call the attorney.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Everyone on this site knows how much I love animals. I bought a freaking farm. That being said you have young kids and unfortunately the pup needs to go. In all honesty I wouldn’t even settle for a wall

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Dog needs to go NOW, if not sooner. If the neighbor was willing to play ball, I'd likely go along...but since he's pushing the ball down the road, game on. Find an atty and go after him and his insurance. You have kids....all bets are off with shit like this when you have kids in YOUR yard.

rrrr

Reaction score
I have to comment again. Listen to ssc's advice. He is that rare RDP member that knows what he's talking about. ;)

I strongly encourage you to be on the phone at 8 AM on Monday. While you and your wife are aware of the danger the dog represents, there is a chance it could enter your yard at the same moment your children slip away from your view. It's too horrible to contemplate, but it could happen. Even if your neighbor built a fence tomorrow morning, it could happen.

Don't leave this to chance.

I am posting again not because I think you're being weak or negligent. It's because things out of our control can have unimaginable consequences. I'm offering strength, not criticism.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Tough deal. Time for lawyer involvement. That will handle shit. (Probably not quickly.) But for sure. Can’t risk kids getting injured.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I don't get people that put up with dogs that bite, snap, growl at people, piss in the house, chew stuff up, dig, yap all the time, run off all the time, don't mind, etc...

I love dogs, but they tow the line, or they are gone. I have always been very lucky with my dogs. By lucky I work with them a lot when they are young, to make them good around kids.

Let animal control handle it. The dig should be kenneled or have a muzzle on. Period.

Sent From Tapatalk

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
What Jedo said. My sons neighbor’s dog ( pit ) attacked him - neighbor was wrestling with the dog trying to detach - son is LEO and pulled weapon, but was afraid he’d kill the neighbor by accident. He ended up in the hospital for 5 days,and the scars are still very visible 5 years latter. He tried to “ be nice “- pay the medical, we’re good after you build a fence ( he’s the father of my 2 grandaughters, 10 & 5. No money forth coming, had to hire an attorney. All he got was medical paid and attorney fees. I’ve been trying to kill the dog for the last 5 years to protect my grand kids, but the fence is 6’ solid wood, and the dog can’t jump it, but if I ever see the dog outside the fence, his neighbor will be the one calling the attorney. You are being nice at the expense of your children - I’m not anywhere near that nice, and when the next incident happens, you’ll realize what you should have done. Dogs don’t come before people, ESPECIALLY FAMILY. I’ve had a dog for the last 44 years, so don’t think I’m not an animal lover, but I love my kids, wife, and grand kids MORE - I’m betting you do also. You have hours to get rid of the dog, not weeks, months, years. Please do the right thing before we all regret your lack of spine.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I’m a Rottweiler lover my current baby is 125lbs ,there’s a responsibility of owning any dog let alone a dog that could cause damage to a human.

as much as my dogs are my family if I had an aggressive dog and it had the characteristics of a biter it would be my responsibility to ensure the dog was never put in a position where a bite could happen.if it were to happen. The dog would be put down
immediately.

5A70102A-7CD3-40D8-BD30-FA81456ED248.jpeg

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. My first thought was to shoot the damn thing but I want to be a good role model for my son. Its becoming clear to me that by me attempting to be understanding I have gone too far to the "nice" side. I need to follow my gut and make my standing clear. Like I mentioned before, kindness is not weakness, its time for there to be black and white lines in the sand

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
What Sweeper said, offer to take the dog to the pound together and let him work out the details with his family or tell him an attorney gets involved immediately.

You’ve been more than fair and with kids at those ages, you’ll hate yourself if something happens to them.

ssc

Reaction score
Just a quick bit of advice. DO NOT tell your neighbor anything about your possible plans. Definitely do not mention anything about an attorney. You need to play the game correctly. Any info you give weakens your strategy. You give your neighbor an opportunity to hit you with a preemptive strike, especially with the type of daughter he has. I have seen too many of these neighbor disputes go sideways with personal harassment restraining orders.

Therefore, my advice is to stop all communication with your neighbor and just take care of business. Anything you say can be taken out of context and if you get hit with a RO, it is possible that just calling AC could be considered a violation. As I have told many clients, "Shut the f--k up and unleash the dogs." Surprise is a wonderful offense.

Cheers, Steve

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Just a quick bit of advice. DO NOT tell your neighbor anything about your possible plans. Definitely do not mention anything about an attorney. You need to play the game correctly. Any info you give weakens your strategy. You give your neighbor an opportunity to hit you with a preemptive strike, especially with the type of daughter he has. I have seen too many of these neighbor disputes go sideways with personal harassment restraining orders.

Therefore, my advice is to stop all communication with your neighbor and just take care of business. Anything you say can be taken out of context and if you get hit with a RO, it is possible that just calling AC could be considered a violation. As I have told many clients, "Shut the f--k up and unleash the dogs." Surprise is a wonderful offense.

Cheers, Steve
Thank you for the advice, I have never been in a situation like this let alone had any lawsuits. I honestly don't even know where to start. I figure an attorney then let him handle the insurance side. The neighbor actually first told me to turn it into homeowners which caught me off guard

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, I have never been in a situation like this let alone had any lawsuits. I honestly don't even know where to start. I figure an attorney then let him handle the insurance side. The neighbor actually first told me to turn it into homeowners which caught me off guard

Let the attorney handle ALL OF IT . . . Anyone on here have a recommendation for an attorney for this guy...... ?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Too late.
You put it on the Internet.
As well as your free legal advice.

C-2

Reaction score
Like others have said, the dog will not change. When I was a boy we had a pit like that. Tried to get the neighbor kids, and after about 2-years of the dog seeing the kids daily, pops finally pulled the plug on the dog.

He's gotta realize if he can't afford a fence, then the dog goes bye bye.

Good luck

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
You need to call animal control Now! Don't give that dog a chance to bite your Kids. I know it sucks calling AC, But you have no choice.
You and your Family have to be first always.

rrrr

Reaction score

Cheers, Steve

Follow this advice!! Do not ask him for the name of his insurance company. Don't say anything. Call someone at the office tomorrow and tell them you are going to be late, or take the entire day off. Then call David Saunders. Do it before 9 AM!

Steve has given you excellent advice. Don't ignore it. Don't do just part of it. Don't decide you should do it differently. Unless you drop a bomb on the guy, you are at risk of him doing something to you. He could hire an attorney and claim you provoked the dog. He can claim he and his family have been afflicted with PTSD. There's an entire industry built on just this sort of thing.

You'd better start looking at it from this point of view. You think he's going to volunteer to build a fence? He's not, he's scheming how to get you to pay for it.