WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Alright V-Drivers you have my undivided attention..

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Yeah but I don't think a world-recordholder is representative of the typical V-Drive...if there's even such a thing as a "typical" V-drive ;)

With over 100 different manufacturers of v-drive boats over the last 60 years you really can't (or shouldn't) generalize IMHO.

The Doctor

Land Sales GURU
Reaction score
This site will become what we make of it. I choose to contribute so it will grow and develop into another valued resource. Here's the little small block boat Buzzz and Paul built running the river with Paul behind the wheel:

[video=youtube;m6gY25p4kos]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6gY25p4kos"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6gY25p4kos[/video]

harlanorrin

Reaction score
I am wanting to contact Buck Baker of Phoenix. Yesterday I met with Vic Edelbrock. He saild the last owner of his marathon Rayson Craft # 45 was Buck Baker. Baker is a hospital maintance man in the Phoenix area. It would be fun to restore this boat.
HARLAN ORRIN

harlanorrin

Reaction score
HERE ARE SOME OF THE '60S ENDURANCE BOATS:

John Fells Rudy's Rayson Craft/Allison #9 PHFFT RESTORED
Mike Leach Bob Patterson's Allison powered SUPER CINDERS RESTORED
Gene Dangle Rudy's 220' flat bottom K9M BETTER IDEA RESTORED
Lavey Craft Al Lavey's 18' flat bottom IN ORIGINAL CONDITION
Clyde Dedrick Muravez Bros. in line BBC Campbell ORIGINAL HARDWARE
Ron Mobley John Sofolos' MISS MARINE WORLD UNDER RESTORATION
Harlan Orrin Jon Baverstock-'62 18' flat bottom SOME CUSTOM HARDWARE

HARLAN ORRIN

harlanorrin

Reaction score
The engine for my 1958-96 wood Mandella is almost ready to fire up.
It is a 1958 Oldsmobile with '62 heads. It is bored .040 over 394. The stock intake manifold has been extensivly reworked. The engine has the Neovane water pump mounted on a Moon front cover. Inside the circle race pan is a 1/2" stroker crankshaft. The pistons were down in the cylinders. We found that 428 (F) pistons gave a better deck height. I was able to remove the blue ovals. We were finally able to locate a nos oil pump. I am now looking for a period correct carb. that will support the 460"+-. Finding someone that rebuilds old time stock points ignitions was fun.
HARLAN ORRIN

harlanorrin

Reaction score
My last 2 restoration wood decks were on all glass boats.
I removed the glass deck on a 18-6 Sanger flat bottom, to build a new wood deck.
I cut the glass deck from a 17' Stevens . I then removed all the hardware, including the '65 SBC Corvette engine and the Casale top loader. The inside of the hull had been carpeted. It took 2 weeks to remove the carpet and glue. I then installed balsa core over the plywood floors.The new wood deck was then built. The owner is doing the clear finishing.
I have a 18' Rayson Craft scheduled for a new deck. The boat is now being derigged including the removing the BBC.
MISS MARINE WORLD is having glass work on the hull. It is a '62 Rayson Craft endurance boat. I will then build a new wood deck.
HARLAN ORRIN

wrighton

Reaction score
Thanks for your updates harlan, I truly admire your talent and love the wood deckers.I hope to restore an all plywood Glenn L also with the 327 and toploader

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
RD, Some thoughts...

I think there need to be a divide between the social aspects of the board and the technical...meaning I dig the Santa suit, but when it comes to actual information, it gets tiring weeding through the dross.

Regarding builds...always bitchin', but some (like mine) drag on forever, where they get lost.

History....Who did what, how, and why is always relevant, but again get lost and is getting harder to authenticate. Racers die, get old, leave the sport...Look at Rudy Ramos...genius, but where's the nuts and bolts facts vs the opinion and BS? Beisemeyer, Cole, Sanger, Stevens, etc. Who splashed what and what (if anything) did they change? Maybe permanent stickies in their own section? A WIKI style repository?

New stuff...Remember the interest in the hydraulic down pedal? New technologies and new applications? The Aussie B.A.D. boats come to mind with frames instead of stringers.

Not sure how I would pull the WIKI deal off in a forum format.. I'd have to construct a sub website or something to do it..

Dave....I have tried and tried to engage this website..I like what you do and I have no problems with it...but it's a matter of TIME for me..I like the build threads and usually have several going at once..(much to the chagrin of Billy)...but it takes so fricken long to post pics on two sites...and this one doesn't get lots of action..With my new movie making capabilities I may be able to do them faster...

and I am kind of a smart ass...which some don't like...

RCL, that is a great post and to get to brass tacks of it.. Exactly what you wrote is what I am looking to change.

im with RCL, right now its alot of work to post a ton of hosted pics with 1 or 2 replies on the thread. I posted threads over here trying to help bring some traffic, but compared to the other forum i frequent there seemed to be little interest, so i really spent my time over there adding details and more pics

Well as the doc said.. The site itself is what you guys make of it. I can only "edit" content, I can't provide all of the v-drive content by myself.

So perhaps a little bribery is in order? Post a restoration thread / or legit build thread, and I send you a shirt on my dime?

RDP is a nice little social site but, it's primarily made up of yuppies who don't even know (or want to know) about the roots or culture of "true Hot Rod boats". There's little to no reason for v-drivers to set up camp here.

Compared to?

RD

harlanorrin

Reaction score
The boats I restore (wood decks) do not show up well in photographs as the bare wood shows up white. I actually see very few of the boats I build wood decks on. A few make magazines. Some with no credit for the wood deck. Some of my boats have recieved awards at the Bass Lake Boat Show, and Needles. Several of my decks from the '60s and '70s have been restored, with the owners not knowing who built the deck.
Barry McCown is still trying to get the new BANZAI finished and rigged.
HARLAN ORRIN

harlanorrin

Reaction score
Thanks for your updates harlan, I truly admire your talent and love the wood deckers.I hope to restore an all plywood Glenn L also with the 327 and toploader
In 1959-60 I built wood Mandellas around the corner from Glen l in Bellflower CA. They have several models of flat bottom v-drive plans available. They used to have kits available for their boats on special order. There is a S K Glen L race boat back east. It has been raced off and on for many years.
HARLAN ORRIN

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Vdriveboat.com., Dragboatracing.com., dragboatalley.com, and the v-drive section of performance boats.com... do you need more? ;)

Why you gotta leave out boatracingfacts.com?

;)

I did say let me know if he needed more. :cool:

List them all. :)

I do have a question, how is the participation on those sites compared to PB's v-drive section? And how is it that RDP is made up of yuppies, but PB is not?

Is Chris planning on dragging your slow ass boat around the river like a boat anchor in sept? Or is yuppie Dave going to drag your slow ass boat around the river like a boat anchor? Yuppie... I think not. :D

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So I am checking out some of these websites and some of them are very cool! It looks like participation is way down though in the forums.

These are stats from what I would consider the "main" section or social section of the site which should yield more then other sub sections.

DragBoatRacing is a bitchen website but has very little activity in the forum itself. I see one post from today, the next post is from March 12th, and the next after that is the 9th of Feb.

V-DriveBoat.com is also a very cool website but seems to be down on member participation in the forums. The latest post is from 3 days ago 12th, the next is from the 9th, and the one after that is the 6th of March.

DragBoatAlley.com - March 12th, March 2nd, and Feb 3rd.

BoatRacingFacts.com seems to get a lot more action then the rest but it isn't v-drive specific. In there social section right now, 1 post 6 hours ago, 1 post 1 day ago, next post 4 days ago. Specifically to the v-drive section the last post was 2 weeks ago. Seems to get great flow and traffic across the rest of the board though.

Which Jerry brings us full circle.. You got PB's v-drive section.. Currently 57 viewing - and the next series of 6 threads all have multiple posts in them from today..

So it's safe to say of the sites you listed PB's v-drive section pretty much crushes all of them as home to the v-drives. So removing the others from the equation, I am curious to my original question.. "Compared to?"

You have this major hang up on yuppies and whatever else.. And I ask a basic question. Between the 2, why is it me the young guy, that goes to events, that drives a boat on a regular basis, that supports events, that is willing to go run a K considered the "yuppie?" Doesn't make much sense to me. I think you're confused. LOL

And out of curiosity, why the negative posts with regard to RDP?

RD

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
And how is it that RDP is made up of yuppies, but PB is not?

PB has it's share of yuppies, but yuppies don't spend much time in tech sections. PB's tech sections tell the tale. :cool:

Is Chris planning on dragging your slow ass boat around the river like a boat anchor in sept? Or is yuppie Dave going to drag your slow ass boat around the river like a boat anchor? Yuppie... I think not. :D

RD

Yuppie Dave isn't gonna drag anyone around the river and you know that. :cool:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Which Jerry brings us full circle.. You got PB's v-drive section.. Currently 57 viewing - and the next series of 6 threads all have multiple posts in them from today..

So it's safe to say of the sites you listed PB's v-drive section pretty much crushes all of them as home to the v-drives. So removing the others from the equation, I am curious to my original question.. "Compared to?"

You have this major hang up on yuppies and whatever else.. And I ask a basic question. Between the 2, why is it me the young guy, that goes to events, that drives a boat on a regular basis, that supports events, that is willing to go run a K considered the "yuppie?" Doesn't make much sense to me. I think you're confused. LOL

And out of curiosity, why the negative posts with regard to RDP?

RD

It's real simple Dave, you've never owned a v-drive nor shown any real allegiance to the v-drive crowd. You rarely show up to outings inspite of claiming to be Shiada's boats biggest fan. :thumbsdown
I've been to more v-drive "events and regatta's" than almost anyone so I feel qualified to say that (Harlan has me beat I'm sure).

I believe your solicitation is primarily motivated by sponsorship dollars which I can respect, but the hard core guys will see right throught that.

For decades, the Davidson family has treated the v-drive community well (better than anyone else) and Pop's is a legend in the v-drive world and definately one of us. :thumbsup

Your v-drive section actually has a lot going for it. You've got flatnutz, Flat's Only, the Doctor, Ryan Partrige, shawngr, Harlan, Campbell Carl, rivergames, RCL, skiskier, AZGEO, and many other fine members checkin in over here. If you really want to make the v-drive section bigger I suggest you put some more work into it instead of relying on everone else.

Your pal,
Jerry :D

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Or wakeboard boat is a v-drive. Does that make me a non-yuppie?

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I'm like you "k" guys. I keep my stuff clean and use is optimal. ;)

Since your spell check doesn't appear to be working I took the liberty... :thumbsup

And may I suggest one of these lifts? All the "k" guys have them. They really work great! ;)

K-Boat_lift.jpg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
SS the new Avitar is awesome. :thumbsup That can be the cover shot for River Rats III. Don't forget my royalty check for the pic...well at least part of the pic. :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I believe your solicitation is primarily motivated by sponsorship dollars which I can respect, but the hard core guys will see right throught that.

Your pal,
Jerry :D

LOL.. Man Jerry world is a twisted kinda place.

There's no ad revenue to be made from v-drives Jerry. Sorry to burst your bubble. Nobody is making parts for v-drives that has any kind of advertising budget what so ever.. I can't even think of a company that is primarily v-drive orientated that advertises anywhere?

Just a passion for me boss. I don't expect i'll make nickel one.

RD

FLATS ONLY

Reaction score
Way too sensitive:D Now get on with some pics or some thrashing:champagne: wtf

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
LOL.. Man Jerry world is a twisted kinda place.

There's no ad revenue to be made from v-drives Jerry. Sorry to burst your bubble. Nobody is making parts for v-drives that has any kind of advertising budget what so ever.. I can't even think of a company that is primarily v-drive orientated that advertises anywhere?

Just a passion for me boss. I don't expect i'll make nickel one.

RD

Do you realize how much oil we go through? What about polish?:champagne: If you could fill the v-drive section you could hit up Rex, Prime, Bergeron and maybe even V-Drive Video! lol

You already have Lucas and Pfaff!!! Ya, pretty twisted huh? ;)

tony

Reaction score
Are you under 50 and willing to pay someone else to color sand it or would you do it yourself? :D
Did you color sand and rub-out your boat or did your other brother in law do it I think his name is somthing like Bobby B he is Billy Bs brother the one that painted your boat. Could be wrong but I think I was there watching him. Go figure.:champagne:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Did you color sand and rub-out your boat or did your other brother in law do it I think his name is somthing like Bobby B he is Billy Bs brother the one that painted your boat. Could be wrong but I think I was there watching him. Go figure.:champagne:

The last time it was color sanded I did it. I think Spotondl may have been a witness. Bobby buffed it out later. I aslo block sanded it once and sanded all the floors and bulkhead "BY HAND" and I stripped the the old paint off myself too. ;)

DSC02948.JPG

normal_DSC04156.JPG

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Do you realize how much oil we go through? What about polish?:champagne: If you could fill the v-drive section you could hit up Rex, Prime, Bergeron and maybe even V-Drive Video! lol

Jerry if you would like to sit down sometime and have theirs conversation I'd be happy too.. Or you could call like at prime and Rex and ask them yourself. ;). It's just common sense. There isn't many v drives out there.. There isn't many eyeballs to sell advertising too. There isn't many companies successfully making v drive parts with any money to advertise. It's just the way it is. I am not the one that put v drives on the endangered species list. I love em, and wish more were made.. But make no mistake there is zero dollars to be made from a v drive website, section or otherwise. Other then sentimental, and liking to look at the hardware there's nothing else in it business wise. I'm in it for the passion nothing else.

Hell, I can prove it to you easy enough if you like.. :D

RD

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Jerry if you would like to sit down sometime and have theirs conversation I'd be happy too.. Or you could call like at prime and Rex and ask them yourself. ;). It's just common sense. There isn't many v drives out there.. There isn't many eyeballs to sell advertising too. There isn't many companies successfully making v drive parts with any money to advertise. It's just the way it is. I am not the one that put v drives on the endangered species list. I love em, and wish more were made.. But make no mistake there is zero dollars to be made from a v drive website, section or otherwise. Other then sentimental, and liking to look at the hardware there's nothing else in it business wise. I'm in it for the passion nothing else.

Hell, I can prove it to you easy enough if you like.. :D

RD

You do realize you're talking to a guy with $75K in one of 2 v-drive boats right? lol

Like everyone else, v-drivers spend money on engines and parts, oil, fuel, custom made boat covers, storage, anchors and lines, life jackets, trailers :blah:

Have you seen all the vendors that show up at the Long Beach race? What about Irvine lake in the last few years? Check out all the vendors who set up at the PIR races.

Your missing the boat Dave because all you care about is getting drunk. :D

NO MONEY IN V-DRIVES LOL

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You do realize you're talking to a guy with $75K in one of 2 v-drive boats right? lol

Like everyone else, v-drivers spend money on engines and parts, oil, fuel, custom made boat covers, storage, anchors and lines, life jackets, trailers :blah:

Have you seen all the vendors that show up at the Long Beach race? What about Irvine lake in the last few years? Check out all the vendors who set up at the PIR races.

Your missing the boat Dave because all you care about is getting drunk. :D

NO MONEY IN V-DRIVES LOL

Jerry, you are a strange bird..

Lets just face some reality for 2 seconds Jerry. PB is "home to the v-drives" how many v-drive specific companies advertise on PB? Answer zero..

FYI, it would seem to me the vast majority of these boats are restored by enthusiasts in garages. Not by shops. Prime does a few for the higher end discriminating guys, but even if you ask Mike that's not the bread and butter of the shop. They are cool projects that yield a lot of exposure. If you added up the hours though, they probably break even or maybe yield a minimal amount of profit for the effort.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I said I'll prove it to ya Jerry.. Don't you want to know how? I'll offer for a period of one year ABSOLUTELY FREE, any and all advertising to any legit company specializing in v-drives in this v-drive section..

All they have to do is provide a banner and a link to their website, or pay my graphics guy directly (75.00) for him to make a banner, and provide a link to their website.

As for the rest, stop being a punk.. You're hurting your v-drive cause for reasons of self importance far more then helping it.

RD

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I said I'll prove it to ya Jerry.. Don't you want to know how? I'll offer for a period of one year ABSOLUTELY FREE, any and all advertising to any legit company specializing in v-drives in this v-drive section..

All they have to do is provide a banner and a link to their website, or pay my graphics guy directly (75.00) for him to make a banner, and provide a link to their website.

As for the rest, stop being a punk.. You're hurting your v-drive cause for reasons of self importance far more then helping it.

RD

Why do you feel "v-drive only" business's are the only way you can make money. As I said previously. v-drivers go through a lot of oil especially those with alky engines (just making a point).

I don't see you grabbing any advertiser attention until you have some people in here. The problem is you don't know how to do that. :D

BTW, there's a lot of business's out there that cater "mostly" to the v-drive comunity. Billy B and Dave Sammons are 2 and business is booming for both of them even in this shitty economy. ;) Give them a REASON to want to advertise here.

hallett21

Reaction score
Why do you feel "v-drive only" business's are the only way you can make money. As I said previously. v-drivers go through a lot of oil especially those with alky engines (just making a point).

I don't see you grabbing any advertiser attention until you have some people in here. The problem is you don't know how to do that. :D

BTW, there's a lot of business's out there that cater "mostly" to the v-drive comunity. Billy B and Dave Sammons are 2 and business is booming for both of them even in this shitty economy. ;) Give them a REASON to want to advertise here.

Do they have a website?

pixrthis

Reaction score
I guess some people don't mind looking like a dick on the boards. You've got a bitchen boat, let all this crap talk be.

Last edited:

Reaction score

Psst not that I know a lot, but I can tell you guys from bergeron are here. They may not post a hole lot, but there here. They know all about this place. Have only ever heard them say good things about it.

westair

Reaction score
Im relatively new back into the v-drive world but after spending some time on PB I can say there's a lot of em out there and some are spending some big $$$$ ..... and it seems to be growing:thumbsup Needles show will probably be maxed out next year;)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Kerry where are Sammons and Billy advertising now? PB? Pretty sure I gave then and everyone else a pretty damn good reason a few posts back. (free? Lol)

Now please stop making yourself look like a hater, and go start trying to figure out why the guys that built your boat for you put small gears and a burnout prop to keep you at 80 and below. Lol

RD

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Kerry where are Sammons and Billy advertising now? PB? Pretty sure I gave then and everyone else a pretty damn good reason a few posts back. (free? Lol)

Now please stop making yourself look like a hater, and go start trying to figure out why the guys that built your boat for you put small gears and a burnout prop to keep you at 80 and below. Lol

RD

Every time someone posts a picture it's advertising for them. Every boat show or race with their stuff in it is advertising and word of mouth helps too.

I'm not hating I'm only calling it as it is. If you want this section to grow put some work into it. Maybe you could steal some more gopro cameras and mount them on an 80 mph k boat or 2. You'll have to show up first and not mid to late afternoon (of at all) like you normally do. :D

I know you're kidding but I chose the
48 gears and 11 1/2 X 16 prop under my boat and my blower is 33% over in case you were wondering. :thumbsup

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Every time someone posts a picture it's advertising for them. Every boat show or race with their stuff in it is advertising and word of mouth helps too.

I'm not hating I'm only calling it as it is. If you want this section to grow put some work into it. Maybe you could steal some more gopro cameras and mount them on an 80 mph k boat or 2. You'll have to show up first and not mid to late afternoon (of at all) like you normally do. :D

I know you're kidding but I chose the
48 gears and 11 1/2 X 16 prop under my boat and my blower is 33% over in case you were wondering. :thumbsup

Well I got it on vid u telling the guys at the needles marina u were giving it all she's got, and that boat never ran better then 80 that I saw.. :D. I think the blue spectra had you covered.. Lol

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So here it is V-Drive Video, because this has turned into a more you hating on RDP. Here's what I'll do for the v-drive community.

Free Advertising in this section to any V-DRIVE ORIENTATED company for one year. They can provide me a banner or pay my graphics guy and have one made for them if they do not know how, or want something animated. Companies liek Casale, V-Drive Video, Dave Sammons, Prime Marine, Billy B, the guy that makes the billet shaft log seals etc.. (Animated Banners are 75.00 Stagnant or stagnant rotations are 40.00 my cost)

I will sponsor the next Castle Rock show and shine for RDP, and I will try to sponsor one of Billy's events as well in 2012..

I'll write as many articles about worthy v-drive boats that I can get my hands on in 2012.. Not just "fluff" articles, but real deal nitty gritty kinda stuff.

Any Featured Boats on RDP will recieve all Free Lucas Oil products that are applicable to their boat.

And for the finale, I'll drag you around the river in Honcho like a boat Anchor come Sept. :D

So who's boat would you like to see 1st as a feature?

Would that be RDP "stepping up" in your mind?

RD

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
So here it is V-Drive Video, because this has turned into a more you hating on RDP. Here's what I'll do for the v-drive community.

Free Advertising in this section to any V-DRIVE ORIENTATED company for one year. They can provide me a banner or pay my graphics guy and have one made for them if they do not know how, or want something animated. Companies liek Casale, V-Drive Video, Dave Sammons, Prime Marine, Billy B, the guy that makes the billet shaft log seals etc.. (Animated Banners are 75.00 Stagnant or stagnant rotations are 40.00 my cost)

I will sponsor the next Castle Rock show and shine for RDP, and I will try to sponsor one of Billy's events as well in 2012..

I'll write as many articles about worthy v-drive boats that I can get my hands on in 2012.. Not just "fluff" articles, but real deal nitty gritty kinda stuff.

Any Featured Boats on RDP will recieve all Free Lucas Oil products that are applicable to their boat.

And for the finale, I'll drag you around the river in Honcho like a boat Anchor come Sept. :D

So who's boat would you like to see 1st as a feature?

Would that be RDP "stepping up" in your mind?

RD

It's a step up from your efforts SO FAR. :cool:

What about Puddingstone this weekend? Are you getting in on the live feed?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have some friends I have not seen in five years that are coming to Vegas this weekend or I would be there.

Rich told me that the live feed was cancelled because he had prior work commitments?

RD

FLATS ONLY

Reaction score
You two getting along and working for the same goal ! Real Boats(v-drives) the roots of all boating:champagne: Its way to close to Desert Storm for this to be happening :rolleyes: Lets not forget about drag boats :moon: Carry on:thumbsup