WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Alternative to a Bimini- Yes, No?

Water Romper

Reaction score
First things first- THIS IS NOT my boat (not even close), just a visual as point of reference:

I cant be in the direct sun anymore, I saw somthing similar a few years ago in Havi on a smaller 20 somthing low profile boat (like mine) Guy was in a cove, had an umbrella in his ski pole holder, by the transom. YES, a Bimini would be ideal but mine is a cheap piece of crap and ugly plus its torn (previous owner didn't take care) and a replacement is not in the cards at the moment.
The Umbrella is for shade (obviously) and would NOT be used while under way at any speed. (we have been known to sit/float for hours in a cove , hence the need for shade) It can be collapsed, removed and tucked under the bow for storage. Would need to be removed if the winds picked up but its a easy task to close and tuck away.
The guy in the cove I am referring to (sorry, no pictures) his umbrella matched the boat and actually looked pretty good (he had a blue and white boat, umbrella was blue to match) He had young kids that he wanted to provide shade for plus, the umbrella allowed a bit of standing room with no straps, poles etc.

You guys see this in your travels?

thumbnail_Umbrella.jpg

Last edited:

ltbaney1

Reaction score
done it many times, still do it on my pontoon. we have a bimini for the rear but a front bimini is not in the cards right now. my float has one of those mounts for a RV table in middle front. holds a cheap walmart umbrella for a little extra shade when floating. i say do what ever works.

Vector

Reaction score
This is what I use in a pinch. Didn’t want anymore holes in the boat. Works good. I took the extension pole off and put a rubber furniture foot on the end of the pole. Folds up and opens up real quick. Fits under deck. Hooks on my 4 cleats.
E80BBA03-6F3C-4C3F-BD7E-4C05268186FD.jpeg

havasuhusker

Reaction score
I say go for it! Looks like some great ideas were provided by others.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Not quite sure the "Umbrella Hat" would work, wouldnt match the boat (haha) I remember when Cal Worthington was giving these away, unfortunately, I need "excessive"...maybe some day I will post pictures of the stitches and scars all from the sun.
Like the Schiada cover- may be an alternative option to my umbrella.
Yes, I can wear SPF clothing and hats (wait, I already do that) but I like the freedom of a tank top (and a bit cooler) when its 100+ and being in the shade. Giving up boating is NOT an option. Like the ideas posted, hate to go this route but sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do.

Waterheater

Reaction score
This is what I use in a pinch. Didn’t want anymore holes in the boat. Works good. I took the extension pole off and put a rubber furniture foot on the end of the pole. Folds up and opens up real quick. Fits under deck. Hooks on my 4 cleats.
View attachment 1012041
This is what I use too. Simple and easy to use. Goes up as fast as a Bimini, and it stores under the bow.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
View attachment 1012041
I used one of these for years. I suggest getting a white one. They still let some light in and if you get a color everything underneath them looks that color. I had a red one for a short time and it fucks with your eyes sitting under it all day.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
First things first- THIS IS NOT my boat (not even close), just a visual as point of reference:

I cant be in the direct sun anymore, I saw somthing similar a few years ago in Havi on a smaller 20 somthing low profile boat (like mine) Guy was in a cove, had an umbrella in his ski pole holder, by the transom.

This is exactly what we do. I have a 21 Tuff and don't want to add more holes for the bimini hardware.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Added a bimini to my boat years ago to comply with the mrs. instructions :p

Still have the "anchor shade" umbrella from years prior. Also works great in the back of the truck when going to races, etc.👍
20210610_115325.jpg
20190628_200606.jpg

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
Had an Anchor Shade for the Skater because we did not want to put a bimini on it. It worked but you could obviously not run the boat with it in place. I would do the Anchor Shade over an umbrella if you don't want to go with a bimini.

nowski

Reaction score
The only problem with that umbrella is the guy needs to move the boat just a tad to the right...

samsah33

Reaction score
I have the hole for a table in the bow section of my boat, so I insert the hollow table stand and drop a patio umbrella into the table stand when we beach. Obviously not for when under way, but it gives the bow some nice shade for lunch since everyone tries to pack in under the bimini... Definitely function over fashion though...

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't know.....umbrella screams homo to me...lol....something Grads would rock. 🤣🤣

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Shit....I didn't even realize Grads already responded in the thread........like I said...😂😂😂

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I had a beach style umbrella on our Lavey when the kids were little. It had that corkscrew mount for the sand. We would use it on the picnic tables at Foxes. It worked surprisingly well!

Water Romper

Reaction score
I don't know.....umbrella screams homo to me...lol....something Grads would rock. 🤣🤣
It would not be a rainbow umbrella, that's for sure, solid color to match the boat. Will it make me a "homo"? I'm pretty sure I'm well beyond that option, ask my wife. Do I think it may look a bit "nerdy" , maybe even "not cool" ? possibly, but the guy I saw looked like he and his kids were doing just fine in the shade. I wonder if he was a "homo". haha. I'll post a pick when I get back on the water...

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I had a holder made that screws into our ski pole hole. The umbrella goes inside it and is held in by a thumbscrew.
2019-07-14 11.16.55a.jpg