WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Aluminium heads on Mercruiser 454

Cdog

Reaction score
Im curious, what kind of HP & TQ increase would one expect with a pair of bang for the buck aluminium heads on a carbed merc 454? The engine has rectangular port heads on it already with roller rockers. This is the 365 hp rated engine. 8.5 compression I believe. Is it worth messing with?

Thx!

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
What boat? Typically heads are apart of a bigger equation factoring in cam, intake, and carb choice.

If you’re going to go that deep I’d build a package around the entire upper end.

Heads alone you’ll shave weight but depending on the boat you’re not likely to see a difference. Even less if you’re shopping with a tight budget.

Cdog

Reaction score
What boat? Typically heads are apart of a bigger equation factoring in cam, intake, and carb choice.

If you’re going to go that deep I’d build a package around the entire upper end.

Heads alone you’ll shave weight but depending on the boat you’re not likely to see a difference. Even less if you’re shopping with a tight budget.

21 HOWARD RC B1 I/O. I’ve been doing bolt ons to it and having some fun with it.

I bought the boat from a widow so I don’t have much history on it.

It only has 160 hours on it and I suspect it has an old b&m blower cam in it from the cam card I found with the paperwork. The dual plane intake has rtv as a gasket between the intake & block so I’m guessing it’s been off for the cam install.

I should probably just leave it but you know how us gear heads are lol!!

Last edited:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
With a blower cam be cool to do a set of Edelbrock heads and a little B&M or 8/71 with low boost would look bad ass and be good for an easy 100-125hp with minimal boost

wzuber

Reaction score
the blower cam timing isn't helping your n/a application, spending less or same $ on a hi quality port job on your existing heads will give you more benefits. at your operational rpm I believe a set of oval ports would yield better port flow velocity and cylinder filing and power. jmo

Last edited:

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
Historically if you are going from closed chambers you'll loose some compression due to the open chamber configuration and gain power on the big end. But that's just a simple equation from experience on a NA engine. Like the others say, there's a ton more to factor in.

Cdog

Reaction score
I picked up a pro charger and a ASM/Pfaff intake to run on the engine. Looks like I’m gonna stick with these. Port match, clean up, arp head studs and run them.