WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

American Turbine questions

jetur

Reaction score
Was wondering if any of the braintrust has ever tried to dial in an American Turbine. I have a Carrera 205 Elite 21'. I'm currently repowering from 320hp to 450hp. Also in the middle of rebuilding the pump. Any ideas on which impeller to put back in? American Turbine says put in a AA. What are the pros /cons of switching to a stainless impeller? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Goodtime$

Reaction score
Was wondering if any of the braintrust has ever tried to dial in an American Turbine. I have a Carrera 205 Elite 21'. I'm currently repowering from 320hp to 450hp. Also in the middle of rebuilding the pump. Any ideas on which impeller to put back in? American Turbine says put in a AA. What are the pros /cons of switching to a stainless impeller? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Need more info. For example we rig the Raptor 440 400HP with Dominator 12-s by american turbine.
I use a stock intake, inducer and an A alum impeller.

Stainless impellers are great for high hp and tuning ability. What intake are you doing? shoe - ride plate angle etc is all a factor.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

I have an American Turbine impeller, AA, in my Berkeley pump. The American Turbine AA is larger than the Berk 2A.
Shoe, rideplate, loader, diverter. Warmed over 454 turned it to 4900 - 4950 rpm. 475+ hp per impeller chart.

Stainless if you can swing the cost.
I prefer to keep the rpm's down for cruise. (AA) Still has plenty out of the hole for single skiers.

What impeller does it have now, and rpm?

Hope this helps.
Dan'l

guest hs

Reaction score
Better hope you have a lot of horse power if your going to get your moneys worth out of stainless steel impeller.

jetur

Reaction score
This is the motor build they are currently working on plus steel crank and roller rockers. Manifold is a little bigger than pictured sticking with the Holley 750.

https://www.fivestarengines.com/shop/chevrolet-454-450-hp-high-performance-turn-key-crate-engine/

The pump is a AT-309. The grate and ride plate look stock to me. I will post some pics when I get back to the shop.
We couldn't find any markings on current impeller and it was cracked. Motor was a peanut port gen V (320 hp) I believe. Ran like shit all of the time for many different reasons. So, I don't really have a baseline to work with.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Better hope you have a lot of horse power if your going to get your moneys worth out of stainless steel impeller.

Have a stainless impeller behind my SMALL BLOCK. That enough horsepower? And Yes, on the river, its worth the extra coin.

Dan'l

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
This is the motor build they are currently working on plus steel crank and roller rockers. Manifold is a little bigger than pictured sticking with the Holley 750.

https://www.fivestarengines.com/shop/chevrolet-454-450-hp-high-performance-turn-key-crate-engine/

The pump is a AT-309. The grate and ride plate look stock to me. I will post some pics when I get back to the shop.
We couldn't find any markings on current impeller and it was cracked. Motor was a peanut port gen V (320 hp) I believe. Ran like shit all of the time for many different reasons. So, I don't really have a baseline to work with.

Typically the 330 hp used an A impeller from the factory. You can measure the old one to see what it is.

Being a hundred horsepower more, I would go with at least a AA, and I'd be tempted at the 9.25", in stainless.

The stainless impeller doesn't require any more horsepower than an aluminum impeller. You'll be right at the limits of an aluminum impeller, ~450 hp. If you're in shallow water often, your money ahead with a stainless. If you go with a 9.25" wheel, and are unhappy with it, you can have it turned down to a AA or an A. Can't add more to a smaller wheel though.

Dan'l

jetur

Reaction score
Typically the 330 hp used an A impeller from the factory. You can measure the old one to see what it is.

Being a hundred horsepower more, I would go with at least a AA, and I'd be tempted at the 9.25", in stainless.

The stainless impeller doesn't require any more horsepower than an aluminum impeller. You'll be right at the limits of an aluminum impeller, ~450 hp. If you're in shallow water often, your money ahead with a stainless. If you go with a 9.25" wheel, and are unhappy with it, you can have it turned down to a AA or an A. Can't add more to a smaller wheel though.

Dan'l
Thank you for the info Dan'l.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I would go with a prepped AA, possibly an inducer or loader at the minimum but keep a close eye on it for cracks. Are you going to spec the cam and clearances on that crate motor? Lots of builders like to use RV style cams for low end grunt but fall on their face above 3500ish rpm. Make sure they setup bearing and piston clearances for a high RPM constant load jet boat application. I would give Tom @jetboatperformance, MPD, Duane at Hi Tech marine or any other super reputable shop a call before proceeding

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I had my stainless impeller detailed by MPD, 10 years later, it still looks like new, and pulls like a AA.

Dan'l

jetur

Reaction score
I would go with a prepped AA, possibly an inducer or loader at the minimum but keep a close eye on it for cracks. Are you going to spec the cam and clearances on that crate motor? Lots of builders like to use RV style cams for low end grunt but fall on their face above 3500ish rpm. Make sure they setup bearing and piston clearances for a high RPM constant load jet boat application. I would give Tom @jetboatperformance, MPD, Duane at Hi Tech marine or any other super reputable shop a call before proceeding
We are going with that package in our block, So they are tearing it down, cleaning, magnaflux, ect. Its an aggressive Comp Cam (probable the RV cam) but they said they would machine it for our application. It will be a full roller so hopefully it has power on the top end. No crate motor it is actually being built in a jet boat application. I will be down there several times this week verifying the process they sold me. Lol

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
What jump pump do you have in your boat?

Berkeley JC, A+ stainless (Eliminator)
Jacuzzi WJ, B stainless (Miller)
Dominator, A aluminum (Saguaro)
Berkeley JA, A aluminum (Double Eagle)

Dan'l

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
We are going with that package in our block, So they are tearing it down, cleaning, magnaflux, ect. Its an aggressive Comp Cam (probable the RV cam) but they said they would machine it for our application. It will be a full roller so hopefully it has power on the top end. No crate motor it is actually being built in a jet boat application. I will be down there several times this week verifying the process they sold me. Lol
Sounds good. If you can get the specs on the cam and post them on here.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Stainless is a "strength thing" Most all alloys , bronze and stainless (from the same MFG) are the same in terms of pitch , cuts etc for example the same tooling for my 356 t6 is utilized in my new mag bronze , typically the magic number for needing a stainless is 450 to 500 hp ... regarding a vs AA vs ? its all about the boat the motor build and other factors (boat usage altitude etc ) I take tech calls 7 days a week if you need help additionally we have the only algorithm driven impeller "dyno" calculator in existence http://jetboatperformance.biz/pages/Jetdrive_Impeller_calculator.html , again feel free to call for chat and info , Jet boats are our only business

Last edited:

guest hs

Reaction score
Berkeley JC, A+ stainless (Eliminator)
Jacuzzi WJ, B stainless (Miller)
Dominator, A aluminum (Saguaro)
Berkeley JA, A aluminum (Double Eagle)

Dan'l
Must be one stout small block! Do you have a pic of the Double Eagle boat?

RCDave

Reaction score
I had a Marine Power 454 Mag (390HP) and AT 309 pump with a stock aluminium A impeller. The engine turned it 4750-4850 RPM. Only mod to the engine was a holley 750 double pumper (motor came with a Vac-Sec carb that sucked).

guest hs

Reaction score
Heres a pic of my sons Miller we just brought back to life.

Attachments

• F7421DCA-81A2-4C5F-9206-FCBB0633F6C3.jpeg
    F7421DCA-81A2-4C5F-9206-FCBB0633F6C3.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 218

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Impellers in jets in good working order are very pridicatble X Impeller and X Horsepower will turn X RPM.... as a general rule (depending on who's impeller ) 450HP to 500 HP will turn an "A" 4700 to 5100 ,,, Detailing (labbed) will offer better overall performance , Our JBP Impellers are CNC indexed and all are hand detailed
JBP first  art 3-18.jpeg

jetur

Reaction score
Impellers in jets in good working order are very pridicatble X Impeller and X Horsepower will turn X RPM.... as a general rule (depending on who's impeller ) 450HP to 500 HP will turn an "A" 4700 to 5100 ,,, Detailing (labbed) will offer better overall performance , Our JBP Impellers are CNC indexed and all are hand detailed View attachment 735256
Thank You for the pic. That's the great thing about RDP, you can get feedback from a shop that specializes in what you need.