WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

An Honest Take Towing With a Rivian:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Speaking of EVs I was driving back from Vegas last week and saw a lot of Polestars at the charging stations.
F305135E-DF16-49F5-9FB8-30EF379B03AD.jpeg

The Polestar is real slow charging and in the 30f weather a super slow charger.

At 30f a normal 10/15 minute 20% to 80% charge for our EV6 was 45 minutes. In the low 20’s F much slower.

The Polestars were there for hours according to the owners and for much less charging range.

Some EV charging stations limit the time you can charge. Fully charged or not you have timed out. Not to be confused with the time you are allowed to remain parked after the charge is complete.

We are supposed to get a software update that will energize our EV6s battery pre conditioning feature to allow swifter charging in cold weather.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DWC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Musk is quietly becoming a energy Tycoon with the megawatts of excess power his stations are dumping into the grid. Even many of the Electrify America charging stations are Tesla powered/power banked, or soon to be.

I liked the Porsche Taycan but the way I want it was over $200K which is ridiculous. Nice $60K EV car, but $200K,, nope.
The EV trucks will eventually have cheaper, lighter, compact, cooler running and more batteries that will extend towing range.

DIESEL ENGINES FOREVER!

Andy B.

Reaction score
Musk is quietly becoming a energy Tycoon with the megawatts of excess power his stations are dumping into the grid. Even many of the Electrify America charging stations are Tesla powered/power banked, or soon to be.

I liked the Porsche Taycan but the way I want it was over $200K which is ridiculous. Nice $60K EV car, but $200K,, nope.
The EV trucks will eventually have cheaper, lighter, compact, cooler running and more batteries that will extend towing range.

DIESEL ENGINES FOREVER!
I get all that but the waste of old batteries and places to dispose of them will turn into the same problem as nuclear waste IMO.
What gets me is no one looks at 20-50 years down the road.
Not to mention the huge inviromental impact of digging for the rare earth minerals for the batteries themselves! Does more damage to land than drilling for oil!! Green earth people are just plain stupid and hypocritical but I've beaten that horse to death,can't fix stupid........
Diesel rules like the man said!

lenmann

Reaction score
The whole roadside charging station roulette deal isn't very confidence inspiring. It seems like if you can find one that isn't occupied, it may or may not function, if it does function it may or may not fully deliver needed current, and if it does deliver needed current it throttles down once someone else plugs in next door?

It's definitely a different way to travel. As he demonstrates in the video, getting somewhere on time gets harder, and sitting around for hours every day waiting to get to 80% charge would drive me nuts.

As Darlene Snell said in Ozark: “I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze.”

Time will tell I guess. I am sure finding gasoline was hard in the early days of internal combustion engine development too.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I get all that but the waste of old batteries and places to dispose of them will turn into the same problem as nuclear waste IMO.
What gets me is no one looks at 20-50 years down the road.
Not to mention the huge inviromental impact of digging for the rare earth minerals for the batteries themselves! Does more damage to land than drilling for oil!! Green earth people are just plain stupid and hypocritical but I've beaten that horse to death,can't fix stupid........
Diesel rules like the man said!
world is ending in 12 years anyway so who cares what we do with the leftovers.
I saw a couple Rivians running some of the trails in Sedona over Thanksgiving and doing pretty good(mild trails). They aired tires down to 50 from 80 to help offroad. They weighs so much they can't go lower than that.

Reactions: DWC

Andy B.

Reaction score
world is ending in 12 years anyway so who cares what we do with the leftovers.
I saw a couple Rivians running some of the trails in Sedona over Thanksgiving and doing pretty good(mild trails). They aired tires down to 50 from 80 to help offroad. They weighs so much they can't go lower than that.
I'm glad I'm old lol.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
No one has talked about the environmental damage mining lithium creates, or that infrastructure to scale the mining and processing lithium does not exist and will take close to a decade to ramp. 🤣

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
They aired tires down to 50 from 80 to help offroad. They weighs so much they can't go lower than that.

It’s hilarious when I read folks saying how heavy-duty the Hummer EV is because it’s classified as a 3/4 ton.

The reality is, it has very little capability and only get that classification because it weighs nearly 10k lbs 🤣

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I’ll let you all know in 2024 what I think of electric. 😉

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I have no use for an EV. I have never heard of a Polestar, or seen one. It is a pretty good looking little SUV.
All of a sudden they are everywhere. Honestly I never heard of them either but NOW see them all the time languishing at the charging stations. May be a lot of them or they take so long to charge they become more visible, more weary waiting to charge. So often full of people inside sleeping.

If anyone is considering an EV, if non-Tesla I'd only consider 800 Volt architecture and 400 mile range. Hold that thought. Best and fastest charging scenario in all weather conditions. Yeah at 30F it took us 45 minutes for that 10 minute charge,, but everyone else without the 800V architecture was there charging for hours.
Reported the "as built" Ram EV Truck. Reported to be a steamer:

Dodge-RAM-1500-EV-2022-scaled.jpg

The "power punch" and precise steering of the wife's EV6 is amazing. 0-60 in under 4 seconds, 11 second 1/4 mile,, it one hell of a fun car to drive. The one pedal/regen driving makes passengers car sick. I only use it when I drive. Wifie, our girls and their GFs with EVs don't like it either. I remember a few years back a few in this forum mentioning the same about their wives and Teslas.

I drove out to Westlake village yesterday to a favorite tavern that has 4 Electrify America charging stations behind it. We charge for free so WTF, charge the car and watch the Cotton Bowl with amazing food and brew. Of course the 350KW charger was broken as all Electrify America 350 KW chargers are. 150 KWs working.

Mid-day the station was full with a long line of EVs waiting to use it. One of those situations where it's a shitstorm of people trying to outfox each other when a charger becomes available. Feuds and fights at the Tesla superchargers we've witnessed and seen on YouTubes.

Though it's cloudy out, our home solar is still putting out over 4KW and the house usually draws under 1KW and I have $88 credit on my Edison bill from excess power we've dumped into the system. Charging at home is still the best option and still free and so convenient.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The whole EV bullshit is about crippling and controlling movement!
The best thing that can happen now is Newsoms rule by decree of all cars sold in Cali have to be EV by a certain date is ruled unconstitutional. Like so many other of his decrees. It should be voted on, and no question even in WOKE Cali,, most people don't want that.
High, unreasonable taxes and ruling by decree is what got this country started.

EBT531

Reaction score
I love when everyone jumps on how bad EVs are for the environment. Do most of us really care? We run big motors in boats that have no cats etc.. EV's are freaking quick for what they are and most are fun to drive. I wouldn't own one as a tow vehicle or primary car, but for a toy they are fun.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I love when everyone jumps on how bad EVs are for the environment. Do most of us really care? We run big motors in boats that have no cats etc.. EV's are freaking quick for what they are and most are fun to drive. I wouldn't own one as a tow vehicle or primary car, but for a toy they are fun.

That’s the point. If they aren’t any better for the environment, makes you wonder why they are being subsidized and pushed so hard?

EV fleet vehicles and trucks are going to end up exactly like autonomous cars ended up.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The best thing that can happen now is Newsoms rule by decree of all cars sold in Cali have to be EV by a certain date is ruled unconstitutional. Like so many other of his decrees. It should be voted on, and no question even in WOKE Cali,, most people don't want that.
High, unreasonable taxes and ruling by decree is what got this country started.

SCOTUS is on a 2A tear regarding unelected agencies creating laws outside of congress.

Someone needs to make the same argument re:CARB

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
And what powers these charging stations?? Green my ass lol!
Should only be solar and wind but yea that doesn’t happen. What’s it cost per kW to fill those tanks, anyone know?

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
No one has talked about the environmental damage mining lithium creates, or that infrastructure to scale the mining and processing lithium does not exist and will take close to a decade to ramp. 🤣
Lithium will be replaced by Graphene Ion and Sodium Ion batteries. Out of 560 to 1200 cells per EV only 2 usually go bad and can be replaced. The two bad cells recycled. Entire battery packs outta wrecks are repurposed as the power banks in the desert Solar EV charging stations. Drive behind a Tesla service center and see the pallets of replacement batteries. They clearly say repurposed replacement batteries on the crates. Tesla never uses new in replacements.

Go to Gruber Motorsport in YouTube and they constantly prove that and run a business based on that truth. Several independant shops across the US and Canada are doing the same. Right to repair laws have to be strengthened. Apple is fighting that, farmers are promoting that for obvious reasons.

Musk had the Lithium mine operation below Tonopah NV cleaned up some years ago. In addition to Tesla 1/3 of the mines production will supply all of Fords needs for the next 5 years. By then sodium Ion, comprised of the 6th most common material on earth will be in service. Sodium of course is resistant to heat which is the major cause of Lithium Ion battery cell failure.

Musk funded Redwood recycling which is pioneering lithium repurposing and recycling recovery. Read that: Funded, not founded.
If a person wants their Lithium battery EV to roll a million miles don't super-charge it. Keep the charges under 150 KW.
ucanthandlethetruth-jack-nicholson.gif

YcUr4lX.jpg

Early on before SXSs caught on I bought the first Rzr in the forum, an 800. I remember you guys were calling it a motorized golf cart, sand dune lice, I'm going to ruin the sport. I even had custom, 5+5 beadlock wheels spun. A waste of money I was told. Anything a YFZ450 did on the dunes the Rzr 800 could do and I realized this is going to take off.

Now look at ya. Damn near every one of you.

I digress.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Lithium will be replaced by Graphene Ion and Sodium Ion batteries. Out of 560 to 1200 cells per EV only 2 usually go bad and can be replaced.

Go to Gruber Motorsport in YouTube and they constantly prove that and run a business based on that truth. Several shops across the US and Canada are doing the same.

Musk had the Lithium mine operation below Tonopah NV cleaned up some years ago. In addition to Tesla 1/3 of the mines production will supply all of Fords needs for the next 5 years. By then sodium Ion, comprised of the 6th most common material on earth will be in service. Sodium of course is resistant to heat which is the major cause of Lithium Ion battery cell failure.

Musk funded Redwood recycling which is pioneering lithium repurposing and recycling recovery.
If a person wants their Lithium battery EV to roll a million miles don't super-charge it. Keep the charges under 150KW.
ucanthandlethetruth-jack-nicholson.gif

Early on before SXSs caught on I remember you guys were calling my Rzr 800 a motorized golf cart.
Now look at ya.

I digress.

That replacement battery tech at scale is decades away and will only come when EVs are far more mainstream. It does not address the current lithium mining and processing challenge.