WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

An idea to eliminate the rocks in the channel.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
When I walk the channel in the winter, the amount of rocks amazes me. I just cringe at all the beach rash it causes and the amount of money spent to repair it. I can’t stand the look of those keel guards. I thought about how long it would take with a manual rake and regret even having the though. I’m not about to put a metal garden rake in my boat either. I started looking into machines that can do it and decided the barber surf rake is the best bet.

The smallest version would be ideal for Havasu. It could be easily pulled with a small tractor, and the rocks and debris would all be eliminated. In the winter, the water in the channel is always down and this could be extremely effective. You have probably seen bigger versions on beaches along the coast.

For a town that thrives from visitors who come here for boating, I can’t think of a better investment. Why aren’t we doing this? How do we get the city to do this?

Taboma

Reaction score
When I walk the channel in the winter, the amount of rocks amazes me. I just cringe at all the beach rash it causes and the amount of money spent to repair it. I can’t stand the look of those keel guards. I thought about how long it would take with a manual rake and regret even having the though. I’m not about to put a metal garden rake in my boat either. I started looking into machines that can do it and decided the barber surf rake is the best bet.

The smallest version would be ideal for Havasu. It could be easily pulled with a small tractor, and the rocks and debris would all be eliminated. In the winter, the water in the channel is always down and this could be extremely effective. You have probably seen bigger versions on beaches along the coast.

For a town that thrives from visitors who come here for boating, I can’t think of a better investment. Why aren’t we doing this? How do we get the city to do this?

You know what you find when you remove the rocks along the shore ?? More rocks. When you examine the exposed cliff strata in various canyons either by road or boat, what do you see ? Do you see layers of beach sand stacked one upon the other ? What I see is layers of rocks. The sand that's slowly being eroded away from the channel banks was brought there and deposited when the channel was dug. When you go 40 feet inland and dig a hole, you're going to find rocks, lots of rocks. That entire peninsula is rocks.
To get the sandy banks back, you need to dredge the channel bottom where all the sand now resides.

Anyway, for years we've been raking our special beach, it might look more sandy for a couple of weeks, but the waves and currents quickly wash that away leaving --- ROCKS. 😁

MeCasa16

Reaction score
why? people park there now. The city is not going to add an expense when you cant get a spot during the summer after 9am in the channel.

besides it keeps gel shops busy.....

Because it is a city’s responsibility to keep improving and making things better for its citizens and its visitors. If you want to grow, you have to keep improving.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Because it is a city’s responsibility to keep improving and making things better for its citizens and its visitors. If you want to grow, you have to keep improving.

They were the number one tourist destination in America last year by doing nothing. They are not going to do anything to "improve".

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Grow what, have you been lately? its busy as all hell, Havasu is not the same as it was. I can understand not wanting to beach your new sled when done, so your are going to have to float it.... I did mine for the most part when we found a beach cove.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
You know what you find when you remove the rocks along the shore ?? More rocks. When you examine the exposed cliff strata in various canyons either by road or boat, what do you see ? Do you see layers of beach sand stacked one upon the other ? What I see is layers of rocks. The sand that's slowly being eroded away from the channel banks was brought there and deposited when the channel was dug. When you go 40 feet inland and dig a hole, you're going to find rocks, lots of rocks. That entire peninsula is rocks.
To get the sandy banks back, you need to dredge the channel bottom where all the sand now resides.

Anyway, for years we've been raking our special beach, it might look more sandy for a couple of weeks, but the waves and currents quickly wash that away leaving --- ROCKS. 😁

🤣 Trust me. I grew up on a cash crop farm in central Wisconsin, growing corn and soybeans. My job every spring was to go out and walk the fields picking rocks. No matter how many I picked, more would miraculously appear from the earth.

Of course it would be a continuous process,
But that’s why I’m looking for an automated machine that could do the whole beach in a couple hours a couple times a week.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
They were the number one tourist destination in America last year by doing nothing. They are not going to do anything to "improve".
Then they aren’t doing their job.. You don’t get to a certain point and just say, “it’s over, we’re done here.”
Grow what, have you been lately? its busy as all hell, Havasu is not the same as it was. I can understand not wanting to beach your new sled when done, so your are going to have to float it.... I did mine for the most part when we found a beach cove.

When you say “Havasu isn’t the same as it was”, you nail the point I’m making. We need to evolve to become better. It’s a never ending process.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Then they aren’t doing their job.. You don’t get to a certain point and just say, “it’s over, we’re done here.”

When you say “Havasu isn’t the same as it was”, you nail the point I’m making. We need to evolve to become better. It’s a never ending process.

Yes, better as in infrastructure and help bring in business's that can help the local people and not only rely on outside vacation money. Not adding an expense to clear rocks in the channel. If the channel is your thing, I would worry more about the water in the summer.....yuk 🤮

Nordic29

Reaction score
We pretty much just plan on repairing the bottom every few years. Gives the gel coaters job security.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Keep in mind the channel is gonna be full of people rocks or no rocks. The channel brings the city very little direct money. Yes it attracts tourism, but if it is full every weekend, they have 0 incentive to remove the rocks.

"We're done here" is the motto of the city. It took the better part of a year to repave and add islands to the busiest intersection in the entire city, and there is an entire community with a marina that was supposed to be built out 4 years ago for which a single structure has not gone up yet.

PlanB

Reaction score
The wall made the rock issue worse. Before the wall the sand would filter down onto the beach. It also took away a lot of parking spaces when the water is up at summer levels. Getting rid of the wall would be great, but it will never happen.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Keep in mind the channel is gonna be full of people rocks or no rocks. The channel brings the city very little direct money. Yes it attracts tourism, but if it is full every weekend, they have 0 incentive to remove the rocks.

"We're done here" is the motto of the city. It took the better part of a year to repave and add islands to the busiest intersection in the entire city, and there is an entire community with a marina that was supposed to be built out 4 years ago for which a single structure has not gone up yet.

I think you far under estimate the value of the Channel to the city. Can you think of 1 thing or 1 place that attracts more people? All of these people come here and support the local businesses and dump cash into the local economy. We could debate this all day, but that’s the most important source of revenue the city has. The only direct source of revenue is taxes.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think you far under estimate the value of the Channel to the city. Can you think of 1 thing or 1 place that attracts more people? All of these people come here and support the local businesses and dump cash into the local economy. We could debate this all day, but that’s the most important source of revenue the city has. The only direct source of revenue is taxes.

There are far more people hanging out OUTSIDE the channel than INSIDE on any given weekend. When the channel was closed last year, those people just went elsewhere, it did not stop any tourism to Havasu. But going back to the original question. If the channel is full every weekend.. why would the city do anything?

There is a perfectly sandy and pristine area of the channel that is a fee area for the state park. It is full every weekend too and people have to pay there. It is not anymore full than the rocky areas.

I see Lake Havasu transitioning to a fee to park your boat in the city are of the channel before they clean up some rocks.

Make no mistake, I'd like to see the whole thing rock free. But there is no reason for the city to invest in a giant machine to use once in an area that is already at max capacity every weekend of the boating season. Clearly the rocks are not affecting attendance now.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
There are far more people hanging out OUTSIDE the channel than INSIDE on any given weekend. When the channel was closed last year, those people just went elsewhere. But go back to the original question. If the channel is full every weekend.. why do anything?

There is a perfectly sandy and pristine area of the channel that is a fee area for the state park. It is full every weekend too and people have to pay there. It is not anymore full than the rocky areas.

I see Lake Havasu transitioning to a fee to park your boat in the city are of the channel before they clean up some rocks.

We could discuss this all day, but there are too many factors at play for my thumbs to type on my phone. My hands would rather be holding a beer and discuss it in person sometime. We can agree to disagree for now.

Also, you guys act like I’m wanting the city to make a major investment in this. In the grand scheme of things, this machine wouldn’t even dent their budget. Nor would the labor.

The fee area of the state park needs this machine just as bad. That’s not all clean sand either.

did I mention this machine also picks up glass, litter and debris, in addition to rocks?
Those are also important components of taking care of our city.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
We could discuss this all day, but there are too many factors at play for my thumbs to type on my phone. My hands would rather be holding a beer and discuss it in person sometime. We can agree to disagree for now.

Also, you guys act like I’m wanting the city to make a major investment in this. In the grand scheme of things, this machine wouldn’t even dent their budget. Nor would the labor.

The fee area of the state park needs this machine just as bad. That’s not all clean sand either.

did I mention this machine also picks up glass, litter and debris, in addition to rocks?

I'm not disagreeing with you. It is a good idea, and I woudl like to see it happen. I just don't think it will happen because there is little incentive.... and because Havasu. Like I said, you'd have better luck paying channel goers by the bucket to collect rocks, and if you started the program for spring break, it would probably be pristine by May.

The state park fee area of the channel is pretty clean. But yes, the state park area at the Windsor Marina could be cleaned up and used for more fee based parking.

Slick

Reaction score
I for one like the idea. The east side is terrible. They mow the channel every year, a yearly beach rake would be good also:cool: And not against a fee. Might alleviate some pirates and riff raff!

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score

Well, if it comes to a Question to the Residents of the City Tax Payers= Clear Rocks in the Channel OR Fix the Streets?

I am a Betting Man and my Bet is=🤣

jailbird141

Reaction score
Kinda seems like the trend over the last several years is to limit the amount of people in the channel, not cram more in. They will never clear the rocks. There are plenty of places in the channel that have a sandy bottom and even more outside the channel. Besides, who goes to hang out in the channel all day? 😂

checkrd past

Reaction score

How do you make it better with the low quality of people that's coming in. Don't hate me for saying what's people are talking about.

traquer

Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment that cities and businesses need to keep improving and doing new things. A little bit here and there and people definitely notice. It's why McDonalds is still pretty much the best franchise to own today even though there's a lot of better food options out there. They have a system and they keep improving it. My 2c at least.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Proving my point even more.. We have to improve the place to improve the caliber of people we attract..

You do that by charging for parking in the channel, not by removing the rocks in said channel.

If the rocks were gone tomorrow, the makeup of who sits in the channel every weekend would not change one bit.

checkrd past

Reaction score
Yep, Its up to the government to make it better. Or in this case the local government.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Yep, Its up to the government to make it better. Or in this case the local government.

😂 Even though I can't stand this answer. It is similar to the answer I get at work with being in a large union. You are teh Union.

Like we are the city government. It is our job as citizens to let them know what we want. Funding 50k for a tool to clean the beaches is a drop in the bucket. You can hardly compare it to fixing the streets. They did however, spend a huge amount of money to slurry seal the streets this winter.

Seriously, 50K. We could do a damn fund raiser from boat owners andraisee that in one night. you dont think 500 boat owners would kick down $100 towards this?

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I always wondered how long it was gonna take for all the sand to shift that they brought in to cover the rocks on the north inlet/outlet.

I don’t think that most of the people that park on the north side near Windsor’s park ever saw what it looked like before.

I drive by and cringe at the sight of boats sitting there knowing what’s hidden under that sand.

I think of that area like a rock jetty at Newport Beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeCasa16

Reaction score
The desert has cactus too, who going to remove them. By the way I don't like it when its over 105, can someone do something about that....Oh wait Joes got that one.
The desert is natural... The channel was created 50 years ago by man. Big difference.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
😂 Even though I can't stand this answer. It is similar to the answer I get at work with being in a large union. You are teh Union.

Like we are the city government. It is our job as citizens to let them know what we want. Funding 50k for a tool to clean the beaches is a drop in the bucket. You can hardly compare it to fixing the streets. They did however, spend a huge amount of money to slurry seal the streets this winter.

Seriously, 50K. We could do a damn fund raiser from boat owners andraisee that in one night. you dont think 500 boat owners would kick down $100 towards this?

NO!! ;)

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
[emoji23] Even though I can't stand this answer. It is similar to the answer I get at work with being in a large union. You are teh Union.

I don’t think the buy in from 500 boaters is very realistic.

This brings back memories of 10 years ago when the Marine Association tried to get the city to buy off on a plan allowing overnight mooring and fees in the channel.

Just as concerning for those watching, the channel is still in need of being dredged, period.

And on the side of boaters safety, the river mouth could use some work too.

checkrd past

Reaction score

Yeah right hahahahahahahaha

77charger

Reaction score
They are a natural thing and plenty below those ones on the surface now.What do you guys want next padded boat parking for the keel of the boat to rest on?I have no problem finding a beach that has just a handful of rocks at most and like pebble sized,

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I don’t think the buy in from 500 boaters is very realistic.

This brings back memories of 10 years ago when the Marine Association tried to get the city to buy off on a plan allowing overnight mooring and fees in the channel.

Just as concerning for those watching, the channel is still in need of being dredged, period.

And on the side of boaters safety, the river mouth could use some work too.

To be fair, that dredging would be a better use of $50k.

Mike K

Reaction score
Good idea ... hate to hear the scrapes when ya pull in ... but in the channel ? ... non running party barges and EZ-UPs don’t care about getting scratched. 🍻

Water Romper

Reaction score
Easy fix- Anytime somone pulls up in the channel, take a few minutes and pick up the rocks in "your section" toss them in the middle of the channel- oh wait, I can see the chaos now, first water cannons then rocks, never mind :(

Taboma

Reaction score
Easy fix- Anytime somone pulls up in the channel, take a few minutes and pick up the rocks in "your section" toss them in the middle of the channel- oh wait, I can see the chaos now, first water cannons then rocks, never mind :(

Reminds me of when after my one neighbor and I spend hours raking up rocks from the beach, loading buckets, carrying them up the stairs to dump them on the slope.
Then later while having a beer after the hard work, you look down and see another neighbor's visiting friend's kids, chucking rocks back into shallows you just raked up. 🤯
Kids, rocks and water, irresistible outcome 😫

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

You show up at a city council meeting and give them a presentation.

Then, they Might vote on it, or just thank you for stopping by.

Good luck. Please report back with how it goes!

calkid

Reaction score
Mrs. calkid and I started our Havasu adventures in 1972. In the early 70's the channel was just a place to pass through, the Nautical and Crazy Horse became the hangouts by 1980 (my memory of this period gets a little fuzzy). A trip up the gorge was a planned event with my 16' Tahiti and 115 Merc. Boats were small and people were friendly, radios were quieter, 100mph passes were rare and all jet boats did 80+ 😒.
And yes, we had rocks in the channel.

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
$50.00 a night surcharge on all short term rentals even if the owner stays there would get this thing bought and maintained!