WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ancestry.Com

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Anyone ever use it? Thoughts? Been interested in it but don’t know if it’s worth it..I was on Find a Grave which they own, and found the plot for my stillborn brother from 1977 that I found but don’t want to bring up to my mother I found it...especially since it happened on her birthday..But I thought the ancestry part would be cool as her father ” came over on the boat” from Italy and would like to see where it goes from there.

Cdog

Reaction score
My aunt did it on my dads side. She always thought our family has some kind of American Indian in it somewhere along the way. My Grandmother was real crafty and would do awesome oil paintings of SW Indians and pioneer prints. So my aunt bought into that whatever she wanted to think. Turns out we're like 85% Austrian with a little bit of English Welsh. HAHA! 🤣

traquer

Reaction score
I'd use a false name. You won't get the family tree part but you'll get the other stuff. Haven't done it yet myself

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Nope don’t care I can go back 150 years and ok with that

grumpy88

Reaction score
My mom and sister are really into it . If you have a good lineage of family you can use it as a tool to verify what a crazy old uncle said to be factual or not . Lol .

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Go for it!

I did the 23 and Me deal. My mom was adopted and had no idea of her birth parents. My dad's grandparents came from Germany and settled in Pennsylvania. My parents really never spoke about much about their ancestry... one did not know and the other did not care.

Have no idea how accurate these results are, but it is entertaining:

Me.PNG

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I'm heavily into it. Traced my wife directly back to the Kings of Scotland and Robert the Bruce (Braveheart) back to the 900s AD. My people go back to the people in the new "Barkskins" French Canadian series, and the Kaisers of Germany.

My other lines are a roadblock in Sweden and Italy, since I don't read or write Italian, and "Nelson" & "Anderson" are literally the "Son of Nils" and the "Son of Ander", so you can imagine how many of those are over there.

While their DNA is a fun deal, you can't really rely on it, too much. As only 1/2 from each parent/grandparent is passed down from each generation. My grandmother was FOTB 100% Italian, but my DNA only says 4% Italian. My wife, who is documented Cherokee, by the Cherokee Nation, has zero Native American DNA markers.

JBS

Reaction score
I'm heavily into it. Traced my wife directly back to the Kings of Scotland and Robert the Bruce (Braveheart) back to the 900s AD. My people go back to the people in the new "Barkskins" French Canadian series, and the Kaisers of Germany.

My other lines are a roadblock in Sweden and Italy, since I don't read or write Italian, and "Nelson" & "Anderson" are literally the "Son of Nils" and the "Son of Ander", so you can imagine how many of those are over there.

While their DNA is a fun deal, you can't really rely on it, too much. As only 1/2 from each parent/grandparent is passed down from each generation. My grandmother was FOTB 100% Italian, but my DNA only says 4% Italian. My wife, who is documented Cherokee, by the Cherokee Nation, has zero Native American DNA markers.

Holy shit. Don’t let Elizabeth Warren read this [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Holy shit. Don’t let Elizabeth Warren read this [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's exactly why her whole DNA claims were bullshit. And even now, they can't isolate if the "Native American" DNA is from (what is now) Canada, USA, Mexico, or Central into South America, much less isolate it by Tribe.

While Tribes may use DNA to connect a prospective member to a current member or family (son/daughter, etc), they will never have the ability to determine specific Tribal heritage through it.

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
Never.
Just do it the old way. Through the Mormon church.
One should never give up DNA information that is unique only to you as a human being to strangers that are compiling a database of personal information that will be traded and/or sold.
Trojan horse under the guise of a novelty.
Falls definitely under the "nunya" or "need to know" basis.

C-2

Reaction score
I think the OP is talking about genealogy research as opposed to DNA?

Ancestry is awesome; in fact, unbelievable. The records you find on there is amazing...draft registration cards, naturalization records, census surveys, yearbook photos, etc etc

If you are lucky, you can latch on to another family member who’s already done the research for you.

If you are looking for Ellis Island info, they might have it.

johnnyC

Reaction score
I started on ancestry with my dads grandfather and grandmothers name, and really couldn't go back any farther than that, the good part of ancestry is that you can search other family trees that share common ancestors and also when someone copys a person from your tree you are notified... it opens up a lot of places to look when you don't there are any... its amazing what you can find and how many stories that were heard when you were young were wrong.... been looking off and on for eight years where my murderd great uncle was buried back in the twenties no one knew as anyone who might have known have passed.... just found out 2 day ago!.... i would do it , but you will spend days at it... good luck.... on a side note you can keep your tree private if you wish to do so, I wont do the DNA thing

HST4ME

Reaction score
There is a reason active duty military are not allowed to do this shit. Do NOT give up your DNA to this organization. do some research as to why.

My parents did and it was the only time I completely came unglued with them, and my family line is pretty well traced. If you do this you sold your soul and lineage to the figurative satan and the data base.

bobbytheboozer

resident boozer
Reaction score
I got the ancestry DNA kit for Christmas a few years ago. I grew up always being told I was 100% polish with maybe a little bit of Scottish ancestry. Turns out after getting the results, being completely blown away and then doing a ton of research I am more Irish than I am polish.

rrrr

Reaction score
My sister is all about Ancestry.com, she's been working on it for years. I told her a long time ago I had no interest in it, and to stop sending me emails with attachments from them.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
My step-brother has 4 kids now that he didn't know he had. Also, his dad was not his dad.

I had too much fun in the late 80's early 90's to risk it. LOl

Wayn-o

Reaction score
Never.
Just do it the old way. Through the Mormon church.
One should never give up DNA information that is unique only to you as a human being to strangers that are compiling a database of personal information that will be traded and/or sold.
Trojan horse under the guise of a novelty.
Falls definitely under the "nunya" or "need to know" basis.

The records used at Ancestry are the Mormons records.
I did it, sort of hesitantly, but I'm adopted with no clue of heritage or health. Not looking for missing family etc, I'm totally good with what I got family wise. It has shown some close realtives but with no info on my side, I dont want to throw something out there like "hey did you put a kid up for adoption way back when" and find someone who doesnt know or doesnt want to know. I got my supposed roots, would not mind a little more info, but not interested in finding another family.

nameisbond

Reaction score
On my moms side, I don't need ancestry.com. Her great, great, great grand father came to what is now Canada from England with the Hudson Bay Company. HBC kept detailed records on their employee's and they can be accessed for free. My dads side I don't care how far back. My great grand fathers WWI enlistment papers are online, Canadian government website. His parents immigrated from Iceland to North Dakota, he was born there. My great grand mother same story, her parents did the same. My great grand father was working in Manitoba when WWI broke out. He joined and gained Canadian citizenship from that. For whatever reason, probably more work, after the war, he stayed in Canada and my grand mother joined him. On my Dads side, I know his fathers parents came to Canada from England and my grand father was born here. My grand father joined the CDN Navy at the outbreak of WWII. Several archive photos of him on the CDN Naval museum website, a government site available free. That's all I care about.

BajaMike

Reaction score
My sister thinks it’s a scam/conspiracy by the Mormons to track you, for unknown reasons. But a couple of murderers have been caught by these dna services.

BajaMike

Reaction score
My step-brother has 4 kids now that he didn't know he had. Also, his dad was not his dad.

I had too much fun in the late 80's early 90's to risk it. LOl

Oh, yes, I probably have some kids out there I don’t want to support or know.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
This thread got me looking at some stuff. After a ton of research I have one line back to the mid 1500's lots more to the 1600's a few to the early 1700's and one stuck in the mid 1800's. Hundreds of people including all the cousins kids etc... You know what? Not one of them famous, no one infamous, my family is pretty boring lol.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I was talking about this back in like april . All the people out there saying no way i am giving a dna sample its a govt scam . I bet 75 percent of them ran out to get a covid test ! Lol

kurtis500

Reaction score
Just confirmed a family rumor on my wifes side that she was a decendant of the Captain of the Mayflower. I laughed it off as BS for decades....turns out the DNA tests confimed the family tree and its true. LOL