WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anchor rope + bouy knot. How to?

traquer

Reaction score
Does anybody know the name of the sliding knot that you use for when you connect the anchor to the front of the boat, as well as hang the bouy? I bought new rope and forgot how to rig it back together. I know there's a metal carabiner setup but I'd prefer the old school way.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Bowline, dad showed me when I was like 5 years old, no matter how big the load is on it, its easy to undo.

traquer

Reaction score
I've always used a bowline knot (on the anchor). i just use a loop on the bow eye that you can tug free.

this may be what you are looking for
Where do you connect your bouy?

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Bowline .... if you ever want to undo it.
If by 'sliding' you mean so you can adjust the the length of the bouy line - you can put a tie off loop anywhere along the rope using a bowline too.

traquer

Reaction score
So two bowlines, and just adjust it to where you want. Ok I will try it thank you!

traquer

Reaction score
We don't use Bouys at Mead 🤣

Those Danik hooks are pretty sweet, that would be what i would do.
That may be it, that's a cool little piece of metal. Also I don't think the bowlines are what I had, I'm looking at the taut-line hitch, that might be it. Need to play around with it in my hand.

Or worse case get an foot long rope with two clips on it, and just tie a loop on the anchor line where you want it and clip into that and the bow eye.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
You might be looking for a butterfly knot? I use that to put a loop in a section of rope that otherwise isn’t there.

If I need to ditch a line in a hurry I’m def grabbing the knife 😛

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
That may be it, that's a cool little piece of metal. Also I don't think the bowlines are what I had, I'm looking at the taut-line hitch, that might be it. Need to play around with it in my hand.

Or worse case get an foot long rope with two clips on it, and just tie a loop on the anchor line where you want it and clip into that and the bow eye.

"If you can't tie a knot, tie alot" 🤣

I only know a couple of good knots, and like you, i have to have the rope in my hand to make them, no way in hell i could explain them to someone without having a rope to screw around with.

traquer

Reaction score
You might be looking for a butterfly knot? I use that to put a loop in a section of rope that otherwise isn’t there.

If I need to ditch a line in a hurry I’m def grabbing the knife 😛
I know that one! It's where you wrap the rope around your hand 3x, than pull a loop through the middle of it and it's done. That's what I was thinking to do

2Driver

Reaction score
I consider myself the biggest retard when it comes to knot tying. I have tried to learn but it never sticks in my brain.

I’ve surrendered to the fact that If something won’t secure with 6 stacked grannies then it isn’t meant to be 🙂

RodnJen

Reaction score
I know that one! It's where you wrap the rope around your hand 3x, than pull a loop through the middle of it and it's done. That's what I was thinking to do

This might be useful for tying the bowline knot.

I use a different method to secure the boat. Once the anchor is dropped create a loop that can be pulled on itself to release. I then have a separate piece of rope with carabiners on each end with a small ball float in the middle, in case I drop it. I clip one end to the bow eye and one end to the newly created loop. It will self-tension and set. When I want to leave I unclip from the anchor line, pull up the anchor, then unclip the 24" piece of rope from the boat, and I'm off. No untying knots. Clip and set, unclip and go.

Richard.E

Reaction score

Another vote for the bowline. Worked for Quint, should work for you.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Lots of good knots here, but have you ever heard of the "Butterfly Testicle Hitch"? 🤣

FF to 16:55

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Maybe unrelated, but I was taught how to feed ski rope back through itself and inside, it works like a chinese finger trap.
Thats what I use on my anchor lines.

SkyDirtWaterguy

Reaction score
D4F27796-A41D-4B25-B5AD-9138F65DC552.jpeg

RichL

Reaction score
The Bowline, greatest knot ever IMO. Rabbit goes up the hole, around the tree, and back down the hole. Will always come loose even if you towed Oprah down the Serengeti for a week:eek:
This is the description I learned as a kid when I learned to tie it.

rrrr

Reaction score
In the early 2000s, I was on airplanes often. To pass the time I bought a book on knot tying and some nylon climbing rope, which I cut into 30" sections and melted the ends so they wouldn't fray.

I received more than a few looks from people that must have thought I was strange, but I learned how to tie some good knots for boating.

Of course I've forgotten all of them except the bowline (which I already knew how to tie).

😁

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Without a doubt the bowline is the most important knot to know when boating. The bowline in a bight is also a convenient knot. Basically, it is a bowline placed in the middle of length of line. Good for adjusting length of line to your bow eye. Then clip to the bow eye with a carabiner.

With fear of sounding like a nautical word nazi, remember on a boat it is a line. On a farm, and just about everywhere else, it is a rope.

traquer

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think I got it, might even be better than my old setup. I like the pic too of the Danik hook. One and done.

I remember one of my buddies used to use one 150' rope for both the anchor line and the rear spike line, with some slack in the boat depending on how much was needed. Wish I took pics of his setup. Either way I think I'm set though, will provide pics once I rig it up

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Use one long line. From the anchor and clipped into the bow eye via a bowline in a bight. Then walk the excess line back to a stern clear, wrap and hitch that cleat as you would a dock cleat, the under wrap must be done in a way that any tension on that line from the beach spike does not loosen that wrap on the cleat. IOW under wrap on the ear on the forward side of the cleat. There still needs to be sufficient line to then be taken onto the beach and secure it to the beach spike. The section of line from the bow eye to your stern cleat should have plenty a slack. But not enough that it could entangle any of your underwater gear, or drift far from your boat.

traquer

Reaction score
Use one long line. From the anchor and clipped into the bow eye via a bowline in a bight. Then walk the excess line back to a stern clear, wrap and hitch that cleat as you would a dock cleat, the under wrap must be done in a way that any tension on that line from the beach spike does not loosen that wrap on the cleat. IOW under wrap on the ear on the forward side of the cleat. There still needs to be sufficient line to then be taken onto the beach and secure it to the beach spike. The section of line from the bow eye to your stern cleat should have plenty a slack. But not enough that it could entangle any of your underwater gear, or drift far from your boat.
Bowline in a bight!! Yes. That's what I was looking for, it's a regular bowline doubled up, that looks exactly like what I had. Except this time I will rig it with one long line. Thanks man!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Only knot i know how to tie!
1BD1C09D-1A14-4765-878D-E06C3584AA4C.png

Flatsix66

Reaction score
For some reason, I can tie knots great at home but on the boat when my first mate has their thumb up her ass and my boat is drifting into gel scratch territory I forget how to tie knots.

Rondog4405

Reaction score

elco

Reaction score
I always learned if you cant tie a knot, tie a lot. Always worked for me but my ropes also keep getting shorter for some reason.

Ct5

Reaction score
The knot on the bow eye isn’t worth the fight. Tie a bowline on the anchor itself and use a Danik hook on the bow eye or wherever you’re mounting the anchor line to the boat. Usually the force pulling on the line isn’t enough for the “slipping” knots to work well on the bow eye. You can let rope out or pull it in much easier with a danik.

Backlash

Reaction score
Not boating related, but involves two knots.

Had to secure something at work this week, and the kid I was working with was clueless how to do it. I grabbed some 550 cord, threw an overhand loop knot on one end, secured the item, pulled it tight, tied another simple overhand loop, then snuggled everything down with a trucker's hitch. I think that's what it's called. Anyways, this "Kid" is 24 years old, and was blown away at what I did. He was asking "How did you do that?!" I couldn't help but laugh! My Dad taught me that method of securing an item when I was probably 7 years old!

People, teach your kids some basic life skills, such as how to tie a few knots. It isn't hard! 🤦‍♂️

Sorry for the threadjack. 😁

Nordie

Reaction score
I for some reason have always struggled with the boline knot, what is the saying, bunny out of the hole and around the tree and back in the hole.

My goto knot has always been the clove hitch, that knot will always untie and it's a really easy knot.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I've been told the bowline in a bight is also known as a truckers hitch. Apparently useful for securing their cargo.

OkHallett270

Reaction score
In the early 2000s, I was on airplanes often. To pass the time I bought a book on knot tying and some nylon climbing rope, which I cut into 30" sections and melted the ends so they wouldn't fray.

I received more than a few looks from people that must have thought I was strange, but I learned how to tie some good knots for boating.

Of course I've forgotten all of them except the bowline (which I already knew how to tie).

😁
I bet if you took a piece of rope on a plane now and tried to learn to tie a knot they would accuse you of trying to strangle the crew and emergency land the plane for your arrest. 🤪

rrrr

Reaction score
I bet if you took a piece of rope on a plane now and tried to learn to tie a knot they would accuse you of trying to strangle the crew and emergency land the plane for your arrest. 🤪

I used to bowl in a league before my knees crapped out, I carried a 202 average. Back then my buddies in Albuquerque had a party night once a year we called Big Shoe Bowling. You had to wear bowling shoes four sizes bigger than your normal size. We rented limos for the trip to the bowling alley, and everyone got drunk and did things like accidently release a ball so it flew into the ceiling grid. We even had an old green plaid sports coat the winner got to keep for a year.

So I'm off to Big Shoe Bowling, and intended to carry my bowling bag onto the plane in Dallas. The TSA moron opened up the bag, and immediately said I couldn't carry it on. I wasn't in the mood to listen to this guy's shit, so I challenged him. "Show me in your handbook where it says I can't carry a bowling ball onto the plane."

He started getting all bureaucrat, and called over a supervisor. This idiot said the same thing. I was losing my temper. They were fucking up my Big Shoe Bowling mood.

I said "Just what the hell do you think I'm gonna do with it, drop it on the pilot's foot and take over the plane?" That might have been the wrong thing to say. 😁

They took me into the little room and searched me and my bowling bag. I was pissed. They finally let me go, and I still had the bowling ball. Idiots, total effing idiots.

😁😁

Last edited:

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Just to ad to the thread……..

A Figure Eight knot is very useful when boating. When used properly, it is easy to get untied. Used mainly when a you need a knot, but not permanent. It’s similar to a bowline, but used when you don’t need the bowline loop.

Hitches and Half Hitches I use almost daily. Mainly to tie fenders to boat rails.

Also….. just some trivia. A fender goes on a boat. A bumper goes on the dock. These items can be identical, but have a different name depending on if you are using it on a boat or dock. Same terminology as the why there are NO ropes on a boat.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
About anybody can work a danik. Not everybody wants to lick their finger in order to fix the run on your little pinner.

boatpi

Reaction score
Let me suggest that you put 8'+ of galvanized chain beginning at the anchor. This will assist in preventing the anchor from pulling loose in a moving lake. The chain sags at times preventing the rope from being yanked on when the wakes hit.

wet hull

Reaction score
For tie off. Lets say to sea wall in channel. I will run a directional figure 8 in line. Loop through bow eye followed back to figure 8. Pull tension if needed and lock with a half hitch. Its a simple trucker hitch knot. Taught my 6yr old daughter to do it. People trip watching her tie off front. Love Bowlin as well. Lots of great knots.

500bbc

Reaction score
Let me suggest that you put 8'+ of galvanized chain beginning at the anchor. This will assist in preventing the anchor from pulling loose in a moving lake. The chain sags at times preventing the rope from being yanked on when the wakes hit.
Rope?

Or rode?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
No mention of the sheepshank knit a good one to know