WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anchor rope

Rbcconst

Reaction score
What’s everyone using for anchor rope? I have a cheap 100’ line and what a pain in the ass that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

70sangersean

Reaction score
Have you seen anyone use the bungee type? Some have a 14’-50’ range.

I use the bungee. Works bitchen. It's nice to be able to pull the boat to the dock and step on or step off the boat and just let go of the rope.Not really intended for overnight mourning but I do it. I also have the smaller bungee that I use at the sand bars.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I use the bungee. Works bitchen. It's nice to be able to pull the boat to the dock and step on or step off the boat and just let go of the rope.Not really intended for overnight mourning but I do it. I also have the smaller bungee that I use at the sand bars.

Do you use one for the anchor as well? What brand?

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
For my 30' Sea Ray:
300' of 1/2" 3-strand twisted Nylon, spliced to 30' 3/8" galvanized chain, swivel-shackled to a 30 lb. standard fluke anchor.
All ran through a windlass.

Previously on my 27' Day Cruiser, now the stern-anchor on my Sea Ray:
200' of 1/2" Mega-Plait Nylon, swivel-shackled to 25' of 1/4" hot-dipped chain (added when I started using it in the ocean), quick-linked to a Large Box-Anchor.
With the Day Cruiser this was a P.I.T.F.A to deploy and haul. With the Sea Ray it's a slight inconvenience, but good insurance at the Isthmus to keep from swinging into other boats.

For my 18' Mini Cruiser & 21' Day Cruiser:
50' of 3/8" 3-strand twisted Nylon - bowline knot on the surface end, quick link on the spliced-in eye, that connects to 5' of vinyl coated chain, fixed-shackled to a 20 lb. Navy style anchor.
Since I'm only anchoring for the day at the beach, bow out, 50' is almost always perfect. However I also carry additional 50' of 3/8" 3-strand twisted Nylon, that i can add on if need be. Initially I was using 100' but it was difficult to manage in an 18' boat .

Everyone I know who had the bungee rope, has ditched it and gone back to regular line.

What about your set-up is a PITA?

Rbcconst

Reaction score
And it is anchor line not anchor rope.

Lmao did my wife put you up to this!! She always corrects me on spelling, grammar and if she could of on this she would have. Do you have any “anchor line” suggestions!

Rbcconst

Reaction score
For my 30' Sea Ray:
300' of 1/2" 3-strand twisted Nylon, spliced to 30' 3/8" galvanized chain, swivel-shackled to a 30 lb. standard fluke anchor.
All ran through a windlass.

Previously on my 27' Day Cruiser, now the stern-anchor on my Sea Ray:
200' of 1/2" Mega-Plait Nylon, swivel-shackled to 25' of 1/4" hot-dipped chain (added when I started using it in the ocean), quick-linked to a Large Box-Anchor.
With the Day Cruiser this was a P.I.T.F.A to deploy and haul. With the Sea Ray it's a slight inconvenience, but good insurance at the Isthmus to keep from swinging into other boats.

For my 18' Mini Cruiser & 21' Day Cruiser:
50' of 3/8" 3-strand twisted Nylon - bowline knot on the surface end, quick link on the spliced-in eye, that connects to 5' of vinyl coated chain, fixed-shackled to a 20 lb. Navy style anchor.
Since I'm only anchoring for the day at the beach, bow out, 50' is almost always perfect. However I also carry additional 50' of 3/8" 3-strand twisted Nylon, that i can add on if need be. Initially I was using 100' but it was difficult to manage in an 18' boat .

Everyone I know who had the bungee rope, has ditched it and gone back to regular line.

What about your set-up is a PITA?

Mine has a really
Bitchen hand feed and under the seat storage!! I use a box anchor.

70sangersean

Reaction score
Do you use one for the anchor as well? What brand?

Goes from my bow eye to a box anchor. Then I have a rope hooked to the bungee hook that comes around with a loop hooked on the ski tow then to cleat on the dock. Anchor Buddy is the brand. I replace it every season regardless of it looks good.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
When I had my SeaRay 400 I had a windlass and all chain. That boat has been sold and I now have the 270 Hallett.
I wish there was a way to mount a windlass on the Hallett. I hate pulling the anchor up. No big deal to let it out.
I currently have a medium size box anchor and 100' line, but I am thinking about ditching that anchor as it is just too much for me to pull by hand.
Maybe going to go to a 4# Danforth with 10-15' of chain. I only use it to day anchor at Havasu. That is what I use on the Daytona and it seems to work pretty
well and not to difficult to pull.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Lmao did my wife put you up to this!! She always corrects me on spelling, grammar and if she could of on this she would have. Do you have any “anchor line” suggestions!

No that was my mothers line, the ones that got me into this expensive habit.

Spot

Reaction score
Hallett 270S, two medium box anchors. 100ft anchor line for each I got from slide anchor. I store the line on the plastic spools they came on, keeps everything neat.

Backlash

Reaction score
Stainless steel carabiner clipped to the floating mooring ball. Below that, some thick ass rope tied to a giant block of concrete. Doesn't really go anywhere either. :D

We use the short mooring bungees when at the docks or in the marinas. Other than that, it's on the trailer. ;)

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
10-15' Chain on Dani and med Box anchors. 14'-50' Bungee for shore to lake anchor(so I can let boat out from shore overnight) 50' NE line for rivers, 100' NE line for Lake raftup, 2x200' flat mule tape lines for Tahoe(Emerald bay).

Rbcconst

Reaction score
When I had my SeaRay 400 I had a windlass and all chain. That boat has been sold and I now have the 270 Hallett.
I wish there was a way to mount a windlass on the Hallett. I hate pulling the anchor up. No big deal to let it out.
I currently have a medium size box anchor and 100' line, but I am thinking about ditching that anchor as it is just too much for me to pull by hand.
Maybe going to go to a 4# Danforth with 10-15' of chain. I only use it to day anchor at Havasu. That is what I use on the Daytona and it seems to work pretty
well and not to difficult to pull.

I feel you on the box anchor. There really hard to pull unless you get right over the top of it. A major pain if your in the current. Hard to get rid of something that holds that well though.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
10-15' Chain on Dani and med Box anchors. 14'-50' Bungee for shore to lake anchor(so I can let boat out from shore overnight) 50' NE line for rivers, 100' NE line for Lake raftup, 2x200' flat mule tape lines for Tahoe(Emerald bay).

Ever use the bungee for the front anchor?

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Top Knot.
Bow. 150’ of 5/8ths anchor line connected to a medium box anchor. On the other end is a Danik hook.
Stern. 25’ line, also 5/8ths with danik hook to a medium spike.
I have another small box anchor with 100’ line if need for current that can be used front or back.
TopKnot floats, does not fade, does not fray. Had my lines for almost 10 years. I also have 4 15’ lines for the dock and 8’ lines tied to the bumpers.
With lines attached to everything I use—setting anchor or docking is super simple.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Ever use the bungee for the front anchor?

Yes. At lakes with steep or rough shoreline, in no wake zone. I would use the bungee Line hooked from bow to anchor set 30'-40' off shore, then back up towards shore, cut throttle and raise drive, drift in. Then with rope tied to stern eye, someone could stand onshore while everyone else got off boat in shallow water, then I'd let bungee tension pull the boat out a good ways and I'd tie off stern line shore. Didn't have to worry about shore damage, low tides or anyone messing with boat onshore at night. I wouldn't trust it as single line in rough waters overnight with a portable boat anchor that needs to stay under tension to remain set. They do work good for alot of situations.
During the day if you take off, just hook bungee to shore line and leave a buoy on it, so you're all set up.

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score

Your anchor is an important piece of safety gear, and its proper function can mean the difference between safety and ending up on the rocks in a storm or worse.

How many times do you see someone in a 19-22' runabout, and they struggle and fight to keep their boat anchored in a moderate 12-15 MPH wind? They pull it up time after time to reset it after the anchor repeatedly fails to set, and what started out as a 75' ski rope five years is now a frayed and knotted 50' of junk. Their tiny WalMart anchor has no chance of setting and holding their boat fast in the weather conditions.

Just like PFDs and other pieces of required gear, your anchor is an important part of safe boating. Your should have a good anchor, a rode of proper length and diameter, a section of chain to make it easier to set, and the correct tackle to make it function as intended. As a boater, you must know the basics of anchor workings, and how to use it, especially in bad weather conditions. Find a good source of information to educate yourself, like the video I posted below.

I have always used Fortress anchors on my boats. They are Danforth style anchors, and set easily and hold very well. I've never had one hang up. I know a lot of you use box anchors, and they are a good choice for anchoring in currents like those found on the Colorado River.

The Fortress anchor has two adjustable fluke angles for hard and rocky or sandy bottoms. They are made from an aluminum alloy, so they don't weigh much in proportion to their size. The Fortress FX-7 will hold a boat up to 27' in length, but it only weighs 4 lbs.

In my current 20' boat, I carry a Fortress FX-7, a 100' 3/8"" three strand nylon rode with a 6' long 3/16"" vinyl coated chain and stainless steel tackle. The three strand rode has an abrasion resistant coating, has a 4,400 lb breaking strength, and the 100' length will provide a 5:1 scope in depths up to 20'. The flukes are quite sharp, and the anchor digs in and sets easily.

Boat Length: 16-27 ft / 5-8 mWeight: 4 lbs / 2 kg
HOLDING POWER
32° (Hard Sand): 2,800 lbs / 1,270 kg32° (Soft Mud): 420 lbs / 191 kg45° (Soft Mud): 840 lbs / 381 kg

26266XL__51496.1508272663.jpg

For smaller boats, the FX-7 works great, and it only weighs 4 lbs. It's 24" long X 14" wide from tip to tip of the stabilizing bar.

I keep my FX-7 in this custom made bag by Anchor Suit. It covers the entire anchor including the stabilizer bar and zips up completely. The bag protects the boat interior and keeps it clean.

anchorsuit2011_011_large.JPG

This video shows the basics of anchoring techniques. You can find dozens of other videos that will guide you in proper anchoring.

Boat safely!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Have you seen anyone use the bungee type? Some have a 14’-50’ range.

I’ve got a 15’ i use for the sand spike as well a 100’ roll from Slide Anchor, also use and have a bungee rope, the bungee seems to work most the time but when the current isn’t a clean flow, (where you have a solid flow that won’t allow the boat to veer back and forth like just past a jedi) or a lot of wake the bungee sucks.