WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anchoring boat off the beach at Echo

hulihan

Reaction score
I am wondering how you guys set up your anchor to hold your boat if you do not have one of those anchor spots ?
Here is what I was thinking about doing :):blah:
Get about 15 feet of chain and about 15 feet of rope and a big red fender to hold the bow and a smaller anchor and about the same set up to hold the stern , it will not move I think, is that too over kill and I do not want to get in the way of others, weighted line will keep it down when we are out playing, but since we will have to launch down the road a few miles, will want to get on and off the boat through the day, have no idea how it is done on a river, I did pay close attention to how others were doing it every-time we were there in the last 2 months, some guys setups were worthless and their boats were washing ashore, just want to set up a good way while at home, I have a garage full of ocean anchor stuff, and I am sure a heavy Bow anchor will be a good thing. I really do not want to come down and find by boat splashing in the little waves , I would be bummed :eek: Any suggestions would be appreciated :) We were thinking of setting up anchor over past the bar/kinda swimming pool area, seems less waves and less boats and the current seems offset to a degree ?
Thank you in advance !:thumbsup
I am just trying to figure all this stuff out before we are there, I know the best made plans usually have more problems than just doing things on the fly, but the more I ask, the more I may learn , or may just be a royal pain in the :smackbum:

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Your right on track w/ the bow anchor. I would just tie a line back to shore on a spike or around a tree. You can let them just hang in the current if you want to. Get a good danforth anchor and it will set and hold.

hulihan

Reaction score
That's what I have danforth and it is made to hold our old boat that weighed 10,000 plus and brand new, never used, glad I saved it :)
Thanks
Craig

linus3

Reaction score
My ball is the bright orange one "G52" that used to be the closest one to the dock (down river) to the front of Paradise. Over the summer, two others have anchored closer to the dock and it gets real tight when all are up for a big weekend. Have had close calls with other boats coming in to tie off to the dock and also boats breaking off the dock due to big waves on Holiday weekend. Believe you me the waves and current get going in that area pretty good. Others will be along shortly to agree with that. Call it overkill but I'm not a fan of being pulled off my porch by a local telling me my boat is up against the wall or worse yet against someone else boat. My set is held strong and have no issues. 7 x 45 lbs= 315 pounds chained together with marine grade chain up to the ball. From the ball I use two stretch ropes with HD clips for the bow. I've snapped many stretch ropes only running one. Tie off the rear to the wall with plenty of slack so the nose points somewhat upriver. Welcome to the park, swing by G 52 for a beer if we are there. :thumbsup.......

BKinSoCal

Reaction score
I've been known to throw an anchor out and moor my boat at the beach from time to time. When I do this, my rope is 75' and I have about 10' of chain connected to a large box anchor. My experience has been that the box anchor is the best anchor solution on our stretch of River. However, if your Danforth is rated for a 10k lb boat, I would think it would be good.

The anchoring equation is a minimum of 3x the length of rope as the water is deep. So if the water is 15' deep, you need a minimum of 45' of rope. That does not include the chain. the purpose for the long rope is so the anchor will pull deeper on an angle rather than up with a shorter rope.

As far as the rear, I have a slide anchor on shore to hold the aft end in. Like Linus mentioned above, I keep it at a slight angle pointing up river.

On busy weekends, it doesn't matter where you anchor, the wakes are big and plentiful. I've seen many a bonehead have their boats break free because they don't know how to anchor their boats.

Are you a new owner at Echo? We're in UL13 so when you're done drinking linus's beer, stop by for a couple at my place.

hulihan

Reaction score
BKinSoCal Thanks !
Yes we bought Jasons Trailer, and love it, we are having our new boat re powered as I type this, and it will be done and we will bring upp Thanksgiving and play for a week, so I will stop by, I can't have any beers, due to difficulties beyond my control, but a coke or Gatorade will do just fine :) I can not just have one beer :) I guess I do not need to say much more on that matter ;) But all kidding aside, we got the new trailer and will join the crew !:party:

BKinSoCal

Reaction score
Congrats on the new place. We'll be out for Thanksgiving too (Thanksgiving night until Monday). We keep soda, Gatorade and water at the house too so we can take care of you. What is your house#?

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I found a 75 lb anchor at a garage sale 10 years ago. I am next to Linus' buoy. I run 2 galvanized chains from the anchor to two buoys. In addition to marine shackles I run pad locks on all my connections as I have had the shackles come loose. I dive down every year to look for wear on my chains. I am at B27 and let me know if you need a diver to check your set up.

Rivergirlz

Floater
Reaction score
hulihan

Feel free to use mine if I'm not there and if bkinsocal isnt on it. Middle of park, wht ball, faded b29 on it. left of the two baller (facing river) org and wht ones. You will need a good caribeaner or two. There are two 4' lengths of chain hanging from top.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
hulihan

Feel free to use mine if I'm not there and if bkinsocal isnt on it. Middle of park, wht ball, faded b29 on it. left of the two baller (facing river) org and wht ones. You will need a good caribeaner or two. There are two 4' lengths of chain hanging from top.

No Turkey day trip for you this year?

hulihan

Reaction score
Hey Echo Lodge, do you have the white boat with Scuba Tanks in it, and we helped you when it was on the beach not to long ago ?
It seems like everyone has it down packed and everyone seems more than willing to help, we will just see how it all goes, but now I am not worried in the slightest bit and I truly appreciate all the warm welcomes and reply's, we were at the boat mechanics place today, the new Jack Plate should be in Wed and once that is in, new motor goes on and everything gets dailed in, so I think we will be able to bring the boat up Veterens weekend and finally go up and down the river :champagne::champagne::champagne::champagne:, we will launch at the Rock House, I think that is what it is called, but we will be using a new to us boat and need to learn everything all over again ! The river is very different from the ocean, but it is still moving water and can be dangerous, so we will take it slow and safe :)
Again,
Thanks for all the helpful insight !:thumbsup:thumbsup

Craig

BKinSoCal

Reaction score
hulihan

Sorry to hear you guys aren't going to be down for Turkey Day, but with that said, I'll definitely be on your ball while we're there that week. Thank you in advance, once again.

Rivergirlz

Floater
Reaction score
no turkey day at the river this year. Going to ocotillo with both sides of family, some friends and maybe your parter (Eric), My ball is your ball (bkinsocal) ;)

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
no turkey day at the river this year. Going to ocotillo with both sides of family, some friends and maybe your parter (Eric), My ball is your ball (bkinsocal) ;)

Enjoy.... I will check on your place this weekend!

BKinSoCal

Reaction score

Thanks, Shirl. As always, I really appreciate you letting me use it. Have fun in Ocotillo. Hope to see you guys soon.

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
I've got an anchor out there also but usually use one thats closer to my place . Once you get to know everyone you can just use whoever isnt there that weekend, thats if you know where their place is and they know your boat. I find its pretty casual once you get to know everyone. Use mine if the lights arent on! B-31 on an orange ball. :thumbsup

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Watch out for the this guy! Anchor patrol.

Attachments

• buoy patrol.jpg
    buoy patrol.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 254

linus3

Reaction score
Mark, Eric was up this past weekend and your places looked fine. Sorry Brian did not make it back to your place. Donny was rollin dirty and said he was keeping an eye out as usual. No Vets or T-day for us so If you need a ball just put a twenty in the floating coffee can next to it. The river was glass from dam to dam. One guy skiing had the whole place to himself. Paradise was closed all weekend by the way.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Mark, Eric was up this past weekend and your places looked fine. Sorry Brian did not make it back to your place. Donny was rollin dirty and said he was keeping an eye out as usual. No Vets or T-day for us so If you need a ball just put a twenty in the floating coffee can next to it. The river was glass from dam to dam. One guy skiing had the whole place to himself. Paradise was closed all weekend by the way.

Thanks for the 411... Looks like Foxes, Roadrunner, and the new fancy bar this weekend!

hulihan

Reaction score
We will be up next weekend for a couple of days, pretty sure we will take the boat, the are waiting on the Jackplate, once that comes in Wed, things will move fast, when we were there two weeks ago, I saw a group of 3 guys going in kinda from trailer to trailer looking in windows , I found it odd and watched them,l once they saw all of us, they turned around and went back from the direction they came from, not knowing who is who yet, and that could take awhile, we have no problem checking on places if someone wants, I will check in here when we arrive on Friday, we will leave here about 10, after my guys get paid and everything is moving for the day, I am praying we will have the boat to take with us , just do not know till friday of this week, if the Jack plate is on time, I will post a pic of the new motor sitting on the back of the boat :) Again, if anyone wants a check, just let me know next week, The guy we got our trailer from, said the only thing he ever had stolen was a prop, I just chain our stuff with a chain hard to cut :) that's all you can do ! I would be bummed if things start missing :( Then would have to install a motion activated video system :)

Rivergirlz

Floater
Reaction score
Got my prop this year and my ipod off my boat out on the buoy. They will take your hose, patio furniture, bbq and anything else that is not nailed down. If you lock it, it's usually safe. Ya think with only one way into the park, the staff would be able to stop that kind of thing but no.

hulihan

Reaction score
I guess, not good with all the names yet :)

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
It will be good to have a plumber in the park! Crap weather forecast for this weekend. I will be skiing in the drysuit.

Sent via Android!

Poon-Tang

Reaction score
What is everyone using for a permanent anchor at echo? Not sure if a danforth or box anchor would work as a permanent anchor. We tried a box anchor and put three sand bags on top of it, but it still moves. I was thinking of 5 gallon buckets of concrete or an engine block.

What is your opinions or thoughts?

Jon

theKID

Reaction score
What is everyone using for a permanent anchor at echo? Not sure if a danforth or box anchor would work as a permanent anchor. We tried a box anchor and put three sand bags on top of it, but it still moves. I was thinking of 5 gallon buckets of concrete or an engine block.

What is your opinions or thoughts?

Jon

Find a manhole cover plus some added concrete. Works like a charm.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Engine block I hear works well.

Sent from my iPhone paid for with Union money. :D

78DiMarco

Reaction score
I have a BBC engine block as my anchor. Looks like somebody moved some of the permanent buoy's around as mine is now upriver about 30 feet from where it was when Clack and I sunk it a number of years ago... It's also now a little deeper so when the river is up it's at the limit and stressed by the current.... it seems that a few more buoy's have been squeezed in at owners beach since then and it's a little tight when there's a crowd at Echo which is not so good when it gets rough....

If any of you divers do a check of the chains I would apreciate an update on the UL12 - UL6 buoy... thanks

Rivergirlz

Floater
Reaction score
Hopefully we'll get a Oct. trip in and I'll check it, move your engine block if I can. Where do you want it? Up or down river? How many feet? I'll be there Thanksgiving week if it's not too cold, can do it then.

78DiMarco

Reaction score
Hey now that is very cool of you. If you can move it down river about 10 feet I think that will position it a bit more centerd between the buoy's that are there now. If it can be also moved a few feet closer to shore in more shallow water that is cool too. We may be down the for the taco truck delio that BK is trying to pull together for Thanksgiving weekend Saturday night but it all depends on some family obligations if we'll make it. Thanks Rivergirlz!

Last edited:

hulihan

Reaction score
We will be there, that funny, my son was saying a Taco cart would be cool ! And they may be one there !

78DiMarco

Reaction score
Thanks Shirl for moving my anchor down river slightly so it is centered better for all boats.... Yes it a heavy 454 BBC down there :yikes Come on by for a drink anytime!! :drink BKinSoCal I'm sure will join us!!:)