WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

And For My 1000th Post.....

outboardrick

Reaction score
A little boat history.....
A friend built this Daytona and his wife picked the colors. When it was popped from the mold my friend call me and said "Rick, you have to help me get out of this boat, the colors are not what we picked and it's butt ugly". I went down to Eliminator with him and saw the boat, it was sitting on the floor just out of the mold. I told him that they certainly weren't the colors I would have picked but I thought once is was polished and rigged it would look good. Bob Leach came out and told my friend that he had picked the colors and they didn't want to build it, and if it were something he could put in the showroom and sell he would let him out of the build. Bob said "you own this one". It was the first boat they had built specifically for a V8 outboard and the transom and knee braises were beefed up, and the first pink boat. Fast forward a few months and the boat was done and ran very well, and looked pretty good, and very different. My friend had some financial difficulties about that time and I ended up with the boat when it was about 6 months old. When the boat was being rigged a couple had seen it and wanted it, but since it was a custom they couldn't buy it and they splashed it. Not long after Eliminator made another and put it on their catalog.... And so the pink/teal craze of the late 80s and early 90s was started. I don't know if Shueman was with Eliminator back then but he can ask Bob to confirm, this is the way it happened.

452.jpg 453.jpg

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I remember seeing that boat quite frequently in the channel in the late 80s. I remember it having the cowling painted to match the boat as I recall.

outboardrick

Reaction score
I remember seeing that boat quite frequently in the channel in the late 80s. I remember it having the cowling painted to match the boat as I recall.

No, cowling was always the same on my boat. You are probably remembering the exact splash owned by Cricket and Patty.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
No, cowling was always the same on my boat. You are probably remembering the exact splash owned by Cricket and Patty.

I do remember a couple of boats that looked similar, but I do remember the name pickled pink.
Do you remember a guy named "crazy Steve"? I thought he had a Daytona but I can't remember now he went through several boats in a relatively short time.
I thought he was part of the Daytona crew, but I don't remember that was a long time ago.

outboardrick

Reaction score
I do remember a couple of boats that looked similar, but I do remember the name pickled pink.
Do you remember a guy named "crazy Steve"? I thought he had a Daytona but I can't remember now he went through several boats in a relatively short time.
I thought he was part of the Daytona crew, but I don't remember that was a long time ago.

The only Steve I was around had a yellow 18ft Nordic, may have been known as Crazy Steve but not to my knowledge. Sounds like we may have a common history if you were around back then :)

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
The only Steve I was around had a yellow 18ft Nordic, may have been known as Crazy Steve but not to my knowledge. Sounds like we may have a common history if you were around back then :)

I think so, especially since the pictures of your boat were taken in one of my favorite places.[emoji6]

Gelcoater

Reaction score
A little boat history.....
A friend built this Daytona and his wife picked the colors. When it was popped from the mold my friend call me and said "Rick, you have to help me get out of this boat, the colors are not what we picked and it's butt ugly". I went down to Eliminator with him and saw the boat, it was sitting on the floor just out of the mold. I told him that they certainly weren't the colors I would have picked but I thought once is was polished and rigged it would look good. Bob Leach came out and told my friend that he had picked the colors and they didn't want to build it, and if it were something he could put in the showroom and sell he would let him out of the build. Bob said "you own this one". It was the first boat they had built specifically for a V8 outboard and the transom and knee braises were beefed up, and the first pink boat. Fast forward a few months and the boat was done and ran very well, and looked pretty good, and very different. My friend had some financial difficulties about that time and I ended up with the boat when it was about 6 months old. When the boat was being rigged a couple had seen it and wanted it, but since it was a custom they couldn't buy it and they splashed it. Not long after Eliminator made another and put it on their catalog.... And so the pink/teal craze of the late 80s and early 90s was started. I don't know if Shueman was with Eliminator back then but he can ask Bob to confirm, this is the way it happened.

View attachment 525310 View attachment 525311
That boat was way Pre Shueman. What year was it? 87-88ish?
I might have been there then.
And, for clarification "splashing" is a term used to describe someone taking a mold from someone's boat, not copying or duplicating a gel scheme.
That scheme has been done probably a hundred times, with various colors plugged in.

outboardrick

Reaction score
That boat was way Pre Shueman. What year was it? 87-88ish?
I might have been there then.
And, for clarification "splashing" is a term used to describe someone taking a mold from someone's boat, not copying or duplicating a gel scheme.
That scheme has been done probably a hundred times, with various colors plugged in.

You're right, splash was the wrong term....it was copied many times but this one was the first. This was built early 88, the motor was an 87 and was purchased before the boat was built.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Are you the guy who runs the lower river? Ripping it up on Labor Day north of McIntyre park? Pink boats are bad ass.

outboardrick

Reaction score
Are you the guy who runs the lower river? Ripping it up on Labor Day north of McIntyre park? Pink boats are bad ass.

No Walt, I sold the boat a few years ago. I don't think the guy that bought it does the lower river, but maybe. He was/is a circle racer and ran the boat in the Parker Enduro right after he bought it from me, he blew the motor in his flat bottom that he was going to race and since he had already paid the fees he ran Pickl'd Pink. I think he got 1st in class and 5th overall, with no prep before hand :champagne:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
No Walt, I sold the boat a few years ago. I don't think the guy that bought it does the lower river, but maybe. He was/is a circle racer and ran the boat in the Parker Enduro right after he bought it from me, he blew the motor in his flat bottom that he was going to race and since he had already paid the fees he ran Pickl'd Pink. I think he got 1st in class and 5th overall, with no prep before hand :champagne:

I know the boat now, I bought a race boat from him, older guy who lived up in the cajon pass area off of 138. Name escapes me now. It was in his garage when I picked up the race boat.

outboardrick

Reaction score
I know the boat now, I bought a race boat from him, older guy who lived up in the cajon pass area off of 138. Name escapes me now. It was in his garage when I picked up the race boat.

Yes, Skip Ewing. He bought my Placecraft with the blown 392 Hemi also.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Yes, Skip Ewing. He bought my Placecraft with the blown 392 Hemi also.

Thank you, that was bugging me. I bought a gmt mod vp that I raced for a few years from him. 21's are great boats until you get a 22, it's amazing how much bigger the 22 is over the 21