WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

And now for something completely different (short, I promise!)

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I've been working on this project for many weeks. As you can see on the valve covers, it was originally built at Paul Pfaff's shop. I actually called Gordy and asked him to share information with me, since someone else had rebuilt it in the interim, and some of the stuff didn't look like Gordy would have done it. I isolated and resolved some problems, including but not limited to replacing the hydraulic roller cam with a solid roller. A pushrod had jumped out of the adjusting cup on the T&D shaft rocker, really only doing damage to the adjuster.

Anyway, I did not photograph this whole rebuild, but figured I would show what I had to do to get the intercooler and intake back on the engine today. I am not sure how many guys it might have taken to accomplish this, but with the hoist I did it myself without even messing up the silicone or gaskets.

IMG_20220829_090036419 (2).jpg

IMG_20220829_100722288 (2).jpg

So I ask you, can your engine stand do this? I have the rear plate with oil cooler sandwiched between the engine and stand. You can see it in the background of the first photo. Tomorrow I will put the front plate on the engine, which supports the other end of the cooler and begin the hours of putting wires and hoses back in place. 17 oil lines on this engine with the dry sump pump and tank, remote filter and thermostat, oil cooler. As many turbo engines as I have put together, you bet your life I shot photos and put labels on lines!

IMG_20220829_141829517 (2).jpg

Tahoe540

Reaction score
I have a 555 with Jesel shaft rockers on Brodix heads with a hydraulic roller and I have had some issues with the pushrods jumping the cup and causing a little valvetrain damage. Is this something you see on hydraulic rollers often? I thought this would be a bullet proof combo for drive train. I think one of the lifters went bad? These are also Johnson lifters. I ordered a new set of lifters but haven't put it back together yet.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I do have an engine stand that would handle that no problem. Has a nice drip tray too. When I sell the engine that’s on it I’ll give the stand to you.
Cool, thanks! I never got adjusted to using a stand with a tray on it, but would save putting cardboard and paper on the floor while I build.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I have a 555 with Jesel shaft rockers on Brodix heads with a hydraulic roller and I have had some issues with the pushrods jumping the cup and causing a little valvetrain damage. Is this something you see on hydraulic rollers often? I thought this would be a bullet proof combo for drive train. I think one of the lifters went bad? These are also Johnson lifters. I ordered a new set of lifters but haven't put it back together yet.
Any minor marks on the push rods? That's what I found with this one, which was accented when I put the solid roller in and the combination needed longer push rods. If you PM your number to me I will call and explain how to check and what you may have to do to it. I had to get out the rotary tool and keep taking out material and checking for clearance, so that meant pulling the heads back off and maybe 5 or 6 test fittings on the first one, using Dykem layout fluid to show where it was rubbing. Hydraulics are probably much more susceptible to a problem than solids, but with either you will be giving up lift and thereby performance if the pushrod is deflecting.

mattyc

Reaction score
Using a hoist to support that while installing seems the only way to go. Too difficult to line up and not disturb gaskets and silicone while having several people support it. Very cool

SpectraPat

Reaction score
I've been working on this project for many weeks. As you can see on the valve covers, it was originally built at Paul Pfaff's shop. I actually called Gordy and asked him to share information with me, since someone else had rebuilt it in the interim, and some of the stuff didn't look like Gordy would have done it. I isolated and resolved some problems, including but not limited to replacing the hydraulic roller cam with a solid roller. A pushrod had jumped out of the adjusting cup on the T&D shaft rocker, really only doing damage to the adjuster.

Anyway, I did not photograph this whole rebuild, but figured I would show what I had to do to get the intercooler and intake back on the engine today. I am not sure how many guys it might have taken to accomplish this, but with the hoist I did it myself without even messing up the silicone or gaskets.

View attachment 1150756

View attachment 1150758

So I ask you, can your engine stand do this? I have the rear plate with oil cooler sandwiched between the engine and stand. You can see it in the background of the first photo. Tomorrow I will put the front plate on the engine, which supports the other end of the cooler and begin the hours of putting wires and hoses back in place. 17 oil lines on this engine with the dry sump pump and tank, remote filter and thermostat, oil cooler. As many turbo engines as I have put together, you bet your life I shot photos and put labels on lines!

View attachment 1150759
Nice! The garage looks awesome too! 😁

obnoxious001

Reaction score
They couldn’t find a taller intake and intercooler? lol
Hows the plumbing look on that TT set up?
I got it completed today except for dropping distributor and installing spark plugs, and then a bunch of zip ties to try and neaten up the plumbing soon. I shot photos today, maybe can post tomorrow

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I got it completed today except for dropping distributor and installing spark plugs, and then a bunch of zip ties to try and neaten up the plumbing soon. I shot photos today, maybe can post tomorrow
Take a vertical wide screen so it doesn’t appear so squatty, lol
jk

look forward to see finished

obnoxious001

Reaction score
So the headers and turbos are also heavy, put one on myself this way before Wheeler arrived and helped me lift the other one into position.

IMG_20220901_092300974 (2).jpg

Here it is without the dry sump can, belts and some hoses and connections.

IMG_20220902_121809310 (2).jpg

The back side showing dual MSD boxes and bulkhead fittings. I still need to drop the distributor and install spark plugs when they arrive.

IMG_20220901_104412822 (3).jpg

Here is is, completed before the weekend so I could relax and not worry about it. Maybe a few zip ties, tape on intercooler is my log of hours putting accessories back on it.

IMG_20220902_153051685 (2).jpg

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Quick update on this engine, it was in the #54 Nordic in the Parker Enduro this past Saturday. All three drivers commented on how much power it made. The transmission(which was also freshly rebuilt by others) apparently did not like the power and was acting up all race, finally failed 20 minutes or so before the finish.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
That motor is a monster Barry. You do some amazing work. Id luv to see what it would make on the dyno. What trans? bam/velvet drive style or? Hoists are priceless for sure. Next time i drive by I'm gonna drop you off a big ass piece of pulling rope so you can thro that chain with the bolt in it in your anchor line pile. Lol.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
That motor is a monster Barry. You do some amazing work. Id luv to see what it would make on the dyno. What trans? bam/velvet drive style or? Hoists are priceless for sure. Next time i drive by I'm gonna drop you off a big ass piece of pulling rope so you can thro that chain with the bolt in it in your anchor line pile. Lol.
I believe it originally made 1400 hp when Gordy built it at Pfaff. This time we just had Brian Macy throw a tune in it in the boat, on the lake. I don't believe he enjoyed the ride sitting backwards!

The turbo 400 trans and #6 Merc drive were also both freshened up for the race, we believe the transmission was having issues from day one (Wednesday before the race). Watching from the upriver turn, we first thought the prop was slipping, really from lap #1, and closer to the end it was getting worse until it gave up the ghost.

Assuming that Dirk wants to come back next year I am sure he will be better organized to not break out of the 110 mph speed limit (The team was penalized 5 laps for that), and pit stops will also be done better. When they pull the transmission out I believe I will leak down the engine and check the valves, but it should be good to go!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
They couldn’t find a taller intake and intercooler? lol
Hows the plumbing look on that TT set up?

It's not actually the intercooler that is tall, it's the hat and the throttles above. Looks about the same as the standard Brummett Cooler/Tunnel ram setup on most of those motors to me (top of the turbos about even with top of intercooler). The gentry hats only add about maybe 1.5" above the intercooler box so they look MUCH shorter than this.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
It's not actually the intercooler that is tall, it's the hat and the throttles above. Looks about the same as the standard Brummett Cooler/Tunnel ram setup on most of those motors to me (top of the turbos about even with top of intercooler). The gentry hats only add about maybe 1.5" above the intercooler box so they look MUCH shorter than this.
Pretty sure it is one of Carson's newer style, larger intercoolers, but then as you say the billet top and throttle bodies make it sort of big and ugly.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Pretty sure it is one of Carson's newer style, larger intercoolers, but then as you say the billet top and throttle bodies make it sort of big and ugly.

The temp deltas through those things are insane, like 100+ degrees F running 70-80 degree water through them