WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

And that’s a wrap folks

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
Yesterday was my last day performing at Disneyland after just short of 40 years. It’s been a long run and quite the adventure, but I’m ready to slow down a bit. Many of you know my story or at least some of it, so I’ll give you the abbreviated one so not to bore us all! I hired in as a musician into the park in October 1982. When May of 83 rolled around and I was just graduating with a performance degree from college, I won an audition for a 3 month Summer gig. After the 3 month run was over, they asked the group to stay on. I’ve been there ever since. I guess you never know where your career path is going to take you as I never saw myself being at the park for anywhere near this amount of time. And while I’ve worked a great deal outside of the park over the years, the truth is I found a wonderful family of incredibly creative people to partner with. My role over the years has increased from playing (I’m a trumpet player) to conducting, singing, leading bands, and being a part of the teams that help in the creative process as well as helping with casting decisions. In short, the Entertainment Division has allowed me to run with the ball for so many different groups and events over the years and I’m extremely grateful.

Yesterday, they closed down Lincoln Theatre so that we could celebrate my retirement. It was quite the sendoff. Mickey Mouse was there for pictures along with about 250 people from within the Entertainment Division
9B037AA5-BB2A-43D6-AF59-75E3622BD5FB.jpeg
209717BC-90FF-405C-80C1-D89E4A675B0F.jpeg
8CB4997D-ACFE-427E-81A4-F060F054DD7D.jpeg
8CB4997D-ACFE-427E-81A4-F060F054DD7D.jpeg
45B3601D-CDDC-43C3-ABCB-5D4D95EF818F.jpeg
- an emotional day that I will never forget.

So now, I’ll try and figure out this thing called retirement. We sold our house a couple weeks ago and our house that we’re building in Texas should be completed in later September. In the meantime, I’ve been named as the new conductor for the Long Beach Municipal Band, which runs for 6 weeks every Summer. I will also continue on as a clinician with Disney’s Guest Talent Program which will keep me fairly busy each Spring. So I’ll be living back and forth between Texas and Long Beach.

And after getting a feel for the lakes in Texas, I’m hoping to get back into a boat again. We’ve owned boats continuously for 35 years but sold our Conquest and house in Havasu just about 2 years ago. It’s time to relax a bit and enjoy life. We’ll that’s my story. See you on the water!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Yesterday was my last day performing at Disneyland after just short of 40 years. It’s been a long run and quite the adventure, but I’m ready to slow down a bit. Many of you know my story or at least some of it, so I’ll give you the abbreviated one so not to bore us all! I hired in as a musician into the park in October 1982. When May of 83 rolled around and I was just graduating with a performance degree from college, I won an audition for a 3 month Summer gig. After the 3 month run was over, they asked the group to stay on. I’ve been there ever since. I guess you never know where your career path is going to take you as I never saw myself being at the park for anywhere near this amount of time. And while I’ve worked a great deal outside of the park over the years, the truth is I found a wonderful family of incredibly creative people to partner with. My role over the years has increased from playing (I’m a trumpet player) to conducting, singing, leading bands, and being a part of the teams that help in the creative process as well as helping with casting decisions. In short, the Entertainment Division has allowed me to run with the ball for so many different groups and events over the years and I’m extremely grateful.

Yesterday, they closed down Lincoln Theatre so that we could celebrate my retirement. It was quite the sendoff. Mickey Mouse was there for pictures along with about 250 people from within the Entertainment Division View attachment 1128332 View attachment 1128333 View attachment 1128334 View attachment 1128334 View attachment 1128335 - an emotional day that I will never forget.

So now, I’ll try and figure out this thing called retirement. We sold our house a couple weeks ago and our house that we’re building in Texas should be completed in later September. In the meantime, I’ve been named as the new conductor for the Long Beach Municipal Band, which runs for 6 weeks every Summer. I will also continue on as a clinician with Disney’s Guest Talent Program which will keep me fairly busy each Spring. So I’ll be living back and forth between Texas and Long Beach.

And after getting a feel for the lakes in Texas, I’m hoping to get back into a boat again. We’ve owned boats continuously for 35 years but sold our Conquest and house in Havasu just about 2 years ago. It’s time to relax a bit and enjoy life. We’ll that’s my story. See you on the water!

I’m really glad you got to get back to doing what you enjoyed pre covid before you retired and got such a grand send off.

I hope we catch up again sometime! Enjoy this new chapter!

FUN4ME

Reaction score
Congratulations,
I know you will make the best out of retirement.
Wishing you the best of health, happiness, and success.
Hopefully we can catch up again soon.

Erich

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
congratulations! forty years is a long haul. Especially with one group. The best part (from what I hear anyway) is now you can do what you want. If you want to work on a project within your profession, great. If not, pass.

Enjoy your time

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
How awesome! Congratulations on a great career and enjoy the retirement you deserve. This is weird timing to read as I sit on the ferry to get into Magic Kingdom. I saw you perform many times and always enjoyed watching. You did an amazing job! Thanks for the memories.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Congrats....................... I probably saw you perform at Disneyland at some point over those 40 years. In the 1980's my family visited the park several times per month over a few years.

Travmon

Reaction score
Outstanding career sir , you have been part of so many kids magical memories and I am sure you created many memories for yourself. Mark that one as job complete!

Singleton

Reaction score
Congrats
Saw you a few times performing and leading in the park. Enjoy retirement, but sounds like you will be busy

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score

Yesterday, they closed down Lincoln Theatre so that we could celebrate my retirement. It was quite the sendoff. Mickey Mouse was there for pictures along with about 250 people from within the Entertainment Division View attachment 1128332 View attachment 1128333 View attachment 1128334 View attachment 1128334 View attachment 1128335 - an emotional day that I will never forget.

Thank you for all of the years of entertainment Kurt. It was always the best mid morning break with the kids at Dland as to who could find Kurt first. Enjoy your retirement brother. Let Pam and I know when you are in Long Beach. We would love to come up for a show.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Congratulations. So glad our paths crossed. The hospitality you showed one of our grandsons was above and beyond. He still talks about it. Hope you continue to drop an occasional post here. All the best. Enjoy.
IMG_0137.JPG

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Your retirement sounds incredibly busy!

You had an incredible run at the house of mouse. Kind of like having a view of a fairytale on the job. Enjoy the next chapters, you earned them!

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow Kurt, it's a small world! (no pun intended...maybe a little)

You helped Ed Petersen at Garden Grove High School in the 80's as a trumpet coach. I and my girl friend at the time (Rebecca Ness, now wife for 31 years) remember you! She was the flute section leader and I played bass trombone. Becca went on to get a music degree from Redlands and still teaches music and plays bari-sax in a local jazz band. I will dig through boxes but I know I have pictures of you from back in the day. Congratulations on an amazing career!!! Also, we are still good friends with Ed.

---Rob Schumacher

Last edited:

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Congratulations -
Will be sending this to my sister. She was a West Side Attractions Manager early 90's though early 2000's?? and her now ex-husband, was the Main Street Attractions Manager--he later went on to run El Capitan theater.
What an incredible career and story you have.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Congratulations Kurt, I can't imagine a better representative for Disney. You and your family enjoy the next chapter, you deserve it.

rrrr

Reaction score
Yet again I discover a member of this community that has incredible talents, and that those talents were used in making people happy. Kurt, please accept my most sincere congratulations on your retirement after a remarkable forty year career.

I hope you and your wife will enjoy the next chapter of your lives every day.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Congratulation, what part of Texas are you moving to?

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Small world question if I may...
1st, congrats Sir.
2nd,
do you know Tony Peluso ?
I graduated HS in 1977. He was our band director. Havent thought about him since then.
He left after.our Graduation. I recall he accepted a job witb the Disneyland band. Possibly as Director.
I remember cuz I asked Land or World.
He said Disneyland.
I know..... its a real stretch....

Jim

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
Wow Kurt, it's a small world! (no pun intended...maybe a little)

You helped Ed Petersen at Garden Grove High School in the 80's as a trumpet coach. I and my girl friend at the time (Rebecca Ness, now wife for 31 years) remember you! She was the flute section leader and I played bass trombone. Becca went on to get a music degree from Redlands and still teaches music and plays bari-sax in a local jazz band. I will dig through boxes but I know I have pictures of you from back in the day. Congratulations on an amazing career!!! Also, we are still good friends with Ed.

---Rob Schumacher

Wow Rob, that’s a throwback. Yes, I helped Ed Peterson for a year or two as a coach. I keep in touch with him as well and have seen him a few times this past year. Congrats to you and Becca!! Definitely a small world!

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
Small world question if I may...
1st, congrats Sir.
2nd,
do you know Tony Peluso ?
I graduated HS in 1977. He was our band director. Havent thought about him since then.
He left after.our Graduation. I recall he accepted a job witb the Disneyland band. Possibly as Director.
I remember cuz I asked Land or World.
He said Disneyland.
I know..... its a real stretch....

Jim

Thanks Jim. Yes, I knew Tony back in the 80’s. He was casting director for entertainment and then I believe entertainment director at the Disneyland Hotel. He never was in or directed the Disneyland Band but was well respected by the company. He lives in Florida now I believe.

Rupp250

Reaction score
Congratulations, you didn't just bring a smile to kids eyes, My wife and I enjoy the live shows. Actually my wife and I are going to the park in 3 weeks (without the kids) and she was talking about taking the time and sitting down to watch the music performances. Kids always want to get to the next ride. Enjoy the retirement.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Congrats Kurt!!!

Very few people can say they have been apart of something that cool for that long of a timeline and were sent off in that fashion...super cool

I imagine you will be missed greatly.

Enjoy the next chapter!!

mbrown2

Reaction score
Congrats and enjoy ....as CT said above...very few can have that sort of a run and doing something they love at a place they love.

Shane54

Reaction score
Congratulations Kurt! Enjoy your retirement. You've brought many smiles to many people's faces. Mine, my wife and daughter included!! Glad they provided you with such a great send off.