WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

And that’s a wrap folks

Water Romper

Reaction score
Thats really impressive. Think of all the lives you touched from children to the elderly enjoying their day at the park. I worked at D-land in 2018 (I was 60 when I hired on) and absolutely loved working there- I was NOT talent, I worked guest services and rides at Cal. Adventure right when the remodel started.

I hope you picked up some goodies at the Cast Member Store for old time sake. Glad your going to stay doing what you love. Again, congratulations and now get ready for another chapter in your life. BTW- to this day, I still point with two fingers

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Well a trumpet in a country band would be a sound no one's heard before! Congrats on a well earned retirement and fascinating career.

Sounds like you're going to be busy for a while yet that's good. Enjoy your new home in Texas and if you get a chance go pester the ford lovin mechanic @Shlbyntro. I hear he likes people stopping by to reorganize his tool box.

guest hs

Reaction score
Yesterday was my last day performing at Disneyland after just short of 40 years. It’s been a long run and quite the adventure, but I’m ready to slow down a bit. Many of you know my story or at least some of it, so I’ll give you the abbreviated one so not to bore us all! I hired in as a musician into the park in October 1982. When May of 83 rolled around and I was just graduating with a performance degree from college, I won an audition for a 3 month Summer gig. After the 3 month run was over, they asked the group to stay on. I’ve been there ever since. I guess you never know where your career path is going to take you as I never saw myself being at the park for anywhere near this amount of time. And while I’ve worked a great deal outside of the park over the years, the truth is I found a wonderful family of incredibly creative people to partner with. My role over the years has increased from playing (I’m a trumpet player) to conducting, singing, leading bands, and being a part of the teams that help in the creative process as well as helping with casting decisions. In short, the Entertainment Division has allowed me to run with the ball for so many different groups and events over the years and I’m extremely grateful.

Yesterday, they closed down Lincoln Theatre so that we could celebrate my retirement. It was quite the sendoff. Mickey Mouse was there for pictures along with about 250 people from within the Entertainment Division View attachment 1128332 View attachment 1128333 View attachment 1128334 View attachment 1128334 View attachment 1128335 - an emotional day that I will never forget.

So now, I’ll try and figure out this thing called retirement. We sold our house a couple weeks ago and our house that we’re building in Texas should be completed in later September. In the meantime, I’ve been named as the new conductor for the Long Beach Municipal Band, which runs for 6 weeks every Summer. I will also continue on as a clinician with Disney’s Guest Talent Program which will keep me fairly busy each Spring. So I’ll be living back and forth between Texas and Long Beach.

And after getting a feel for the lakes in Texas, I’m hoping to get back into a boat again. We’ve owned boats continuously for 35 years but sold our Conquest and house in Havasu just about 2 years ago. It’s time to relax a bit and enjoy life. We’ll that’s my story. See you on the water!
Awesome great job!

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Yesterday was my last day performing at Disneyland after just short of 40 years. It’s been a long run and quite the adventure, but I’m ready to slow down a bit. Many of you know my story or at least some of it, so I’ll give you the abbreviated one so not to bore us all! I hired in as a musician into the park in October 1982. When May of 83 rolled around and I was just graduating with a performance degree from college, I won an audition for a 3 month Summer gig. After the 3 month run was over, they asked the group to stay on. I’ve been there ever since. I guess you never know where your career path is going to take you as I never saw myself being at the park for anywhere near this amount of time. And while I’ve worked a great deal outside of the park over the years, the truth is I found a wonderful family of incredibly creative people to partner with. My role over the years has increased from playing (I’m a trumpet player) to conducting, singing, leading bands, and being a part of the teams that help in the creative process as well as helping with casting decisions. In short, the Entertainment Division has allowed me to run with the ball for so many different groups and events over the years and I’m extremely grateful.

Yesterday, they closed down Lincoln Theatre so that we could celebrate my retirement. It was quite the sendoff. Mickey Mouse was there for pictures along with about 250 people from within the Entertainment Division View attachment 1128332 View attachment 1128333 View attachment 1128334 View attachment 1128334 View attachment 1128335 - an emotional day that I will never forget.

So now, I’ll try and figure out this thing called retirement. We sold our house a couple weeks ago and our house that we’re building in Texas should be completed in later September. In the meantime, I’ve been named as the new conductor for the Long Beach Municipal Band, which runs for 6 weeks every Summer. I will also continue on as a clinician with Disney’s Guest Talent Program which will keep me fairly busy each Spring. So I’ll be living back and forth between Texas and Long Beach.

And after getting a feel for the lakes in Texas, I’m hoping to get back into a boat again. We’ve owned boats continuously for 35 years but sold our Conquest and house in Havasu just about 2 years ago. It’s time to relax a bit and enjoy life. We’ll that’s my story. See you on the water!
great story.

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
Thats really impressive. Think of all the lives you touched from children to the elderly enjoying their day at the park. I worked at D-land in 2018 (I was 60 when I hired on) and absolutely loved working there- I was NOT talent, I worked guest services and rides at Cal. Adventure right when the remodel started.

I hope you picked up some goodies at the Cast Member Store for old time sake. Glad your going to stay doing what you love. Again, congratulations and now get ready for another chapter in your life. BTW- to this day, I still point with two fingers
I never gave it much thought as to how many people I’ve played for over the years, but the Entertainment Department estimated close to 50 million. Seems extraordinarily high but who knows. Maybe a few million.

I hear you about the two finger point. When I slip, I feel like I broke the law! 😆

zhandfull

Reaction score
Just read your story to my wife and showed her the pictures. Truly an incredible journey you have been on with Disney! We have both probably seen you perform in the past with one or both of our two daughters. Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on the retirement.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
That was a great story!

It is fun to move to a new place. Make sure you explore everything within 50 miles of your new home. You most likely will find unique events and places that will be out of your norm, that you will see for its charm.

It will be very easy to find friendships in the local music community, with your background. But, if you ever wanted to pursue a new hobby……. Now is the time. Only your imagination restricts what this could be?

In Florida, where I live, there are so many retired musicians that the local live music scene is incredible. So much talent! There’s no shortage of places to play. I would assume that there will be a similar community where you are moving.

Safe travels!

I wish you the best!

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
2202BAB0-5A6A-4B7E-B542-533050C0DB8A.jpeg

Just saw the band walk by and wanted to share. Hope you’re enjoying retirement!

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
View attachment 1214053

Just saw the band walk by and wanted to share. Hope you’re enjoying retirement!
Thanks for sharing! Semi retirement has been great so far. I still fly back this time of year every 3 weeks to work for about a week as a clinician for Disney‘s guest talent program, which I enjoy doing. But it’s been great not working 5 days a week year round!