WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

And The Hits Keep Coming - Need A DSG Trans For A 2011 VW GTI

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
If the cracked rim deal isn't enough, my kid tells me this morning that his car is doing funky things like sometimes it takes awhile to go into reverse or when he takes off from a stop the engine revs then slams into gear. I asked him how long it's been doing that and he said about a week. When I asked why he didn't say anything to me before and he said that he forgot. He did take it into VW about two and a half weeks ago because he had check engine light on and wanted to know if they could scan it for him. The service guy told him it was 3:30 and come back tomorrow. He never did. Well as it turns out the factory drivetrain warranty is up to 60,000 miles, he has 60,350. He had under 60,000 two and a half weeks ago. VW says that he's 350 miles over and they can't change that, but to call and talk to the service manager on Monday to see if he can do some goodwill finagling. I asked how much a remanufactured DSG trans is - $4500! The Allison in my truck doesn't even cost that much unless it was built to the hilt.

Any trans guys out there or have a hook up to a reman unit out there?

fmo24

Reaction score
Try Leon's Transmission. they have 7 locations so one may be near you.

Reaction score
I have seen this before, and it was only a sensor on the transmission. Cost me $180 at Amoco Transmissions.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
VW = $$$ out of warranty. If u are only 300 miles past the warranty they may work with you, put your negotiator hat on

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
I've had two situations with GM on out of warranty and they took care of it. I had to call someone in Detroit, they couldn't approve at dealership. I have a pretty loyal history with GM and I'm sure that was looked at.

E4L

Reaction score
I would call vw customer care and express your concerns more then likely they will take care of you b

Vegaskeith

Reaction score
My cousin had a newer VW bug and the transmission went. Most tranny shops won't work on them because they are a bitch. He said $4,500 also! Better off getting a new one from VW. She traded it in on a new Toyota.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That is a manual transmission, that is computer controlled. A manual transmission is not going to slam into gear! Doubtful the Trans is bad. Second diagnosis is required.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I asked him how long it's been doing that and he said about a week. When I asked why he didn't say anything to me before and he said that he forgot.

If your kid bought and was paying for this car -- fine ...... but if it's your car, or he/she is making payments to you -- I think a 'teaching moment' is in order.
If it was my kid -- they'd be doing the legwork and taking the money hit.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
If your kid bought and was paying for this car -- fine ...... but if it's your car, or he/she is making payments to you -- I think a 'teaching moment' is in order.

x2

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
That is a manual transmission, that is computer controlled. A manual transmission is not going to slam into gear! Doubtful the Trans is bad. Second diagnosis is required.

It's at VW right now so no more miles add up on it. If they come up with it needs a new trans it's going someplace else - I'm not going to spend $4500 on a trans at a dealership.

I've tried Googling transmissions for this car that are new remanufactured units, but only come up with one on eBay in the Seattle area for $3000, I was hoping to find something at least local or localer. You'd think that there'd be dealerships that would be selling these things like GM or Ford dealerships sell their remanufactured transes and some of the volume dealer discount them quite a bit.

Oh don't worry, we had a big talk about not taking care of this in a timely fashion - if a check engine light comes on, take care of it, don't just treat it like low windshield wiper fluid, take care of it. If needs a trans, he's going to pay for it for waiting past the warranty to mention something. But in his defense the light did go out, it wasn't on when I drove the car earlier in the week.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That Trans, like most manual transmissions, has very few problems. Not much of a market for it, so no volume discounts apply. Have you looked on the TDI forums for info? Also Google the fault codes along with the year and model of car.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
That Trans, like most manual transmissions, has very few problems. Not much of a market for it, so no volume discounts apply. Have you looked on the TDI forums for info? Also Google the fault codes along with the year and model of car.

His friend has a code reader and came up with "unexpected gear slippage". Didn't sound like a cheap fix.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Is this a 7-speed? If so, there's a global recall/service campaign for it.

traquer

Reaction score
Crap. Yeah hopefully it's just a sensor, or worst case something small like a stripped gear or something. All these modern DSG and CVT transmissions would scare the crap out of me. Might wanna ask him, just between you and him, if her ever tried some stupid shit like trying to launch it from neutral to drive etc. I did it when I was a kid.. Blew up the family car lol. Good luck!

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
If the cracked rim deal isn't enough, my kid tells me this morning that his car is doing funky things like sometimes it takes awhile to go into reverse or when he takes off from a stop the engine revs then slams into gear. I asked him how long it's been doing that and he said about a week. When I asked why he didn't say anything to me before and he said that he forgot. He did take it into VW about two and a half weeks ago because he had check engine light on and wanted to know if they could scan it for him. The service guy told him it was 3:30 and come back tomorrow. He never did. Well as it turns out the factory drivetrain warranty is up to 60,000 miles, he has 60,350. He had under 60,000 two and a half weeks ago. VW says that he's 350 miles over and they can't change that, but to call and talk to the service manager on Monday to see if he can do some goodwill finagling. I asked how much a remanufactured DSG trans is - $4500! The Allison in my truck doesn't even cost that much unless it was built to the hilt.

Any trans guys out there or have a hook up to a reman unit out there?

It sounds to me like you have two issues; one huge and one not too bad. I will address the one that's not too bad, in this post.

The DSG has a common failure point with the N89 temperature sending unit. This unit does a couple of things, fails often, and is a common problem. It will cause the CEL to light, slow shifts, and the transmission to slip prior to slamming into gear, often intermittently. This sender can be replaced for substantially less than $4500.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
His friend has a code reader and came up with "unexpected gear slippage". Didn't sound like a cheap fix.

You need a VagCom scanner. Forget anything the Pep Boys Lego Edition scanner tells you.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you have two issues; one huge and one not too bad. I will address the one that's not too bad, in this post.

The DSG has a common failure point with the N89 temperature sending unit. This unit does a couple of things, fails often, and is a common problem. It will cause the CEL to light, slow shifts, and the transmission to slip prior to slamming into gear, often intermittently. This sender can be replaced for substantially less than $4500.

You need a VagCom scanner. Forget anything the Pep Boys Lego Edition scanner tells you.

That sounds exactly what's it doing and if it's only a sensor makes me feel much better.
It's been so long since I had a trans let go on me, when they did it was all of a sudden, no warning - it just quit, usually around 75,000-100,000 miles back in cars from the 60's to mid 80's.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score

Tom, please, this is a serious issue and questions from an inmate. Must you always turn threads into 'Vag' related posts?

:D

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Any updates?

Got a call from VW, it's the clutch assembly - $3400. :grumble:

The dealership called VW and they will pick up 80% of it so I will be liable for the other 20% or $680.

It's still more that I wanted to pay, but at least I won't be on the hook the full $3400. :thumbup:

My kid should count his blessings - he got off easy.

Car should be ready Friday.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I know - that's the price of a new Allison right there. Plus it's a dealer, they're going to gouge you.
The good news is you'll have a new clutch warranty! It's amazing really. Clutches are normally wear items. And they never warranty wear items. You scored no matter how you slice it. [emoji106] [emoji106]