WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Andddd they shut off my power

grumpy88

Reaction score
So no power for kids and adults to work and attend school from home . No power to run the furnace for heat but your not allowed to use a fire place . Sounds like windy day schedule ! Time to start drinking !

Boat 405

Reaction score
Same here in 92067. No power since last night. Going out to get my generator fired up as soon as the sun comes up. Saying no power until tomorrow at 4 pm

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Power was shut off in my sisters neighborhood around 5 pm on Thanksgiving giving day😡. Was off for 16 hours! Luckily they have a natural gas generator. Bro in law ran extension cords to both neighbors to keep their freezers going.

Taboma

Reaction score
Nice. Blowing pretty hard. Creepy dark

Now if you had that new Hybrid truck and a full tank, you'd be right back into having lights, watching TV and keeping that frig and freezer cold. 👍
Up here by Lake Hodges, we've still got power this morning, it's howling, but so far can't find any fire starts and hopefully as predicted, by later today it will be in the books.

As of this AM, SDG&E is certainly playing CYA by instituting major area Power Safety Shut-offs. Having already lost one house thanks to SDG&E, hopefully this scheme will help. Over this past year SDG&E has been all over our area replacing poles and hardening the infrastructure.

Power Safety Shutoff.JPG

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
They shut my power off last night at 11pm. Walked outside to the motorhome and fired up the generator.

I give zero credit to the utility companies for taking these “precautions” by shutting off the power. Their infrastructure has been antiquated and long over due for a haul over. Only recently have they decided to address it after having their arms slightly twisted. They are not, and never have been, proactive with their maintenance.

Unreal that this is what we’re dealing with in the costliest state of the richest country in the world. This is third world type shit.

Taboma

Reaction score
Whats next to go to shit out there? The Weather. Once that happens its all over.

These power outages are due to a wind event with 60 - 80+ mph winds in some So Cal areas.
I'd classify that as a rather bad weather day, especially in southern Orange County, with a large wind driven fire heading towards populated neighborhoods and evacuations in progress.
Do you make these types of remarks when towns get devastated by tornados, hurricanes, ice storms, flooding too ?
Real funny guy you are.

Boat 405

Reaction score
This is what we get after people thought suing the power company was a good idea. 😂 fucking idiots.

I just walked outside and fired up my 7000 watt 240 volt genny. Whole house back online.

And yes I killed the main breaker from the street.

Brobee

Reaction score
Whats next to go to shit out there? The Weather. Once that happens its all over.

Hi. Hopefully I can shed some light on the process and why it might take some time to re-energize.

When a wind event is forecasted, at risk circuits are patrolled to look for any new hazards that may have popped up since the last one.

When it gets windy, lineman are stationed for 24hr shifts out in a truck in the backcountry as another set of eyes to report on conditions. When the company decides that conditions are warranted for shutting down the circuit, a VP makes the decision to shut the power off and the observers are called back in.

Now that the power is off it stays off until the wind event is finished.

So now the wind is gone, everyone’s power is out, and it’s time to start turning people on. They can’t just flick a switch and power is restored. The load pick up has to be done in stages. And before that happens, the whole circuit has to be patrolled again to make sure nothing has blown over or a palm frond isn’t laying across the wires. Every span and pole has to have eyes on it before it can be re-energized. We’ll have dozens of trucks running a circuit just to try and get it on.

Once the circuit has been completely patrolled and the VP gives his blessing, the circuit can be energized in sections until it’s completely back on. Priority is given to the circuits with hospitals, schools, and ones that are easily accessible and can be knocked out quick.

As I’m writing this, we’re sitting in the crew room waiting to see when we can go out and as of now it doesn’t look like we’ll be going anytime soon but we’ll be working all weekend.

If you see us driving around your neighborhood please know that from our position all we want is to get this done and the power back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
Can’t wait til we have millions more electric vehicles in CA, the govt will have total control of your comings and going’s.

Or, you can pay attention to weather predictions and take steps to be prepared. In anticipation of this wind event, I topped off my truck and wife's vehicles yesterday.
When you live in an area that susceptible to these types of weather events, it's best to be aware and be prepared. If you're electric car or cars are fully charged in advance, there's no reason you can't get far enough out of the outage area to re-charge.

Of course there will be dumb-asses standing around wringing their hands in desperation, blaming somebody for their own ignorance, begging and stealing from those who were smart enough to prepare.
We have the choice of which one to be.

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
Shut off here at 7:47 last night, the website says out until the 5th. Fired up the generator this morning. Running the fridge, tv and whatever small devices we might need in the house. Have a freezer in the shop bldg 200' from the house so had to run a long extension cord to power it.

jet496

Reaction score
They shut my power off last night at 11pm. Walked outside to the motorhome and fired up the generator.

I give zero credit to the utility companies for taking these “precautions” by shutting off the power. Their infrastructure has been antiquated and long over due for a haul over. Only recently have they decided to address it after having their arms slightly twisted. They are not, and never have been, proactive with their maintenance.

Unreal that this is what we’re dealing with in the costliest state of the richest country in the world. This is third world type shit.
This is how they get to add fees to upgrade their infrastructure which keeps getting shot down.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
That's pretty funny, because not once have we arrived at our Havasu place and not found the clocks flashing from a power outage. News flash, they have large fires in AZ and they have weather related events that can disrupt utilities.

A momentary interruption or a faulted cable is completely different than shutting off a transmission system for days at a time.

AZ's time (and the rest of us for that matter) is coming with the forced retirement of thermal generation plants and transition to intermittent renewables as base load generation.

So enjoy it while you can.

RVRKID

Reaction score
Can't believe my power was on all night, wind was shaking the house all night. I am up in North Fontana against the Foothills.

hallett21

Reaction score
So what happens in 2030 when 20 Million Cars need to be charged for people to go to work, or worse yet - people need to escape the fires and the power grid is tits up?

Quick google search says there were 15 million registered vehicles in 2018. I can’t imagine it jumping to 20 million in 12 years. Let alone them all be EV.

10 years is also a long time for solar and battery tech to improve. It could be very common in the future for you to charge your home batteries as a back up reserve/night power.

I think that’s the only way to lessen the load on the grid without a huge overhaul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
A momentary interruption or a faulted cable is completely different than shutting off a transmission system for days at a time.

AZ's time (and the rest of us for that matter) is coming with the forced retirement of thermal generation plants and transition to intermittent renewables as base load generation.

So enjoy it while you can.

I know that outages up at our AZ ranch can be rather lengthy, as such, we're prepared with sufficient back up power. Or like many of my ranch neighbors, you're off the grid completely. Although those too can sustain lengthy outages, if you're not electrically inclined to make the necessary repairs or don't have the parts on hand.

I agree our Havasu outages are normally short duration, often weather related. How about the long duration outages in many other parts of the country that are weather related ? You don't consider winds speeds approaching 90 mph has significant ? Not that all areas are experiencing those extremes, but most of us living in areas susceptible to these events have made preparations. No different than if you live on the east coast and you experience weather events lasting several days, if not weeks before power is restored.

I thought you were from the mid-west, certainly you must sustain weather related outages and damaged utilites ??

For many, this Cover Their Ass Public Safety Power Outage thing is new, but I know my son's EC company is deriving a lot of business (As is Hallet21) from customers wanting backup generation. The problem as always is Cost vs Reward, if you experience a few hours of outage a couple of times a year, well then buy a 3K Watt Honda, if you're down for days, then you're going to want for more.

It's not rocket science, it's motivation to spend some boat gas money on backup power.

My point is, we can all sit around pointing our fingers in blame, or we can strive to adapt. Life in general is not static, as the dinosaurs discovered after their billion year reign.
Evolution favors those are best at adapting.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
California Pros and Cons:

Pros:

Beautiful Geography
Beautiful Weather
High Paying Jobs

Cons:

Everything else imaginable

I had to take the top "Pro" off your list. I would have said the same thing but I've been east of the Mississippi a few times and the amount of green everywhere is astonishing. Makes SoCal look like the moon. Naturally I understand the southwest is a desert, but that's only pretty to me out in Arizona.

Reactions: DWC

Taboma

Reaction score
So what happens in 2030 when 20 Million Cars need to be charged for people to go to work, or worse yet - people need to escape the fires and the power grid is tits up?

I don't know, I'll probably be dead 😖
But do you really think just because they actually implement this electric car deal (Assuming it's not repealed or revised) everybody all of a sudden is going to find their gas vehicle has disappeared from their garage or driveway ??

riverroyal

Reaction score
Or, you can pay attention to weather predictions and take steps to be prepared. In anticipation of this wind event, I topped off my truck and wife's vehicles yesterday.
When you live in an area that susceptible to these types of weather events, it's best to be aware and be prepared. If you're electric car or cars are fully charged in advance, there's no reason you can't get far enough out of the outage area to re-charge.

Of course there will be dumb-asses standing around wringing their hands in desperation, blaming somebody for their own ignorance, begging and stealing from those who were smart enough to prepare.
We have the choice of which one to be.
come on now.....I live in tract house jungle in San Marcos. The wind is bad but its been worse. There was NO notice that my specific neighborhood was being turned off.
I dont watch the weather man everyday. My house turning off has nothing to do with ignorance. Im glad they are afraid of fire but we received zero notice