WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anniversary Trip to Ft Lauderdale

havasuhusker

Reaction score
My wife and I decided to try Ft Lauderdale for our 13th year anniversary. Since we've never been before, I reached out to good folks of RDP asking for recommendations on what to see/do/eat. I received a lot of suggestions from several board members and I am truly thankful to all of you.

One crotchety member, @C-Ya even offered me and the wife for a boat ride. Well, I decided to take him up on the offer and we worked out the logistics offline.

We arrived Friday late afternoon and got settled. The first thing we did was go down to the pool, order some super expensive drinks (shit is pricey in ft lauderdale) and chill by the pool and watch the sunset.

Once darkness set in, we decided to hit up Coconuts for dinner. While on the way there we stopped by Blondies for a bucket of beers and some good ole fashion people watching. Spring break was in full effect and there was no shortage of stuff to see.

After we drank our beers we walked by the famed Elbow Room. The name is appropriate as the placed was packed! The wife had no interest in stopping so we headed to Coconuts.

At the urging of @C-Ya we ordered the Scoobies. Crab claws soaked in butter and absolutely delicious! If you end up there, get the Scoobies! Our meals, coconut shrimp and crispy snapper were amazing! We washed it all down with a local brew.

We decided to turn in as we had a big day of boating on Saturday. We ubered to the C-Ya's humble abode. He took us through the Cribs tour and let me tell you, the view from his place is amazing!! I could've just sat on the patio and watched boats go by all day.

We headed down to the boat, which he had stocked with an assortment of drinks and food(one of which was a superb Italian sub). C-Ya's boat is unlike anything I've seen, especially on the West coast. Its a cool boat, well thought out and comfortable for the type of boating in the area.

We headed through the intercoastsl and out to the big blue through the Hillsboro inlet. We headed north and what were pretty calm seas. C-Ya is a fun guy and full of stories and a studious captain.

At one point, as we were headed to Lake Boca, he let me take the helm. Now, I've never driven a boat on the ocean so I kind of had an Oh Shit moment in my head. I didn't want to look like a complete idiot. Well, it didn't take long for my lack of ocean experience to rear its ugly head as I hit a fairly deep hole and had some nice ocean spray get us all wet! C-YA gave me some quick instructions and told me to shake it off as "these things happen." He had me enter the Boca Raton inlet all the while providing tips on how to ride the waves in. It was a really cool experience and I had a shit eating grin on my face the whole time.

We hung out at Lake boca for a bit. This is a cool place...think sandbar of old in Havasu. Water was clear, boats and scenery were plentiful.

From there we headed up the ICW and checked out cool boats and houses! It was scenery overload. At some point we hit a little cove and ate lunch and headed back south to pick up Mrs C-Ya.
We decided to travel south via the ICW as we had some time to kill. C-Ya shared more stories and pointed out more cool stuff.

We ended up back at the Hillsboro Inlet and decided to anchor and take a swim. The water was refreshing! After a bit we headed to pick up Mrs C-Ya.

Our plan was to head to downtown Ft Lauderdale, check out the sites and mega yachts and then head toward the everglades. However, mother nature had other plans so we checked out all the sites downtown, houses and more boats! It was so much fun. The C-Ya's are great people. We found out we live in the same neighborhood that they used to live in, just a couple streets over, when they lived in AZ. Kind of makes the world seem small in a way.

As the sun set, I again took over the driving duties and took us back to the C-Ya's house. After parking the boat and offloading everything, we were invited inside to have more drinks and dinner. We ate some of the best pizza I've ever had! It was late and the wife and I decided we better get going. The C-Ya's waited outside with us until out uber arrived and we shook hands, hugged and went back to the hotel.

The C-Ya's represent what I love about this site. I can't tank them enough for their hospitality and graciousness. They helped to make our day special and we had a heck of a good time. We can't wait to hang out with them again.

The rest of the trip was just us chilling on the beach and getting drunk!!

Below are some pics from the trip.

EnVmOQPRdabVG9VvZALSlYwEmY-IilVKWhdSNp50Y0Y=.jpg JcyQIHsG5WgY77s67zL9kQ5gYNa3e_GlBuwWCVuBWBg=.jpg ElaZVP0yACb4sRqAReVyAPQVzEw-J8E0TPMr6S8UvN4=.jpg ZYYwIPFPSn6vTa4H2AnSO54_DWlfWc2EqK-U-UL3EaA=.jpg AoLhGmDetrN0N9Cr8xWsDZEB97PdM6f2iyfCxJC6fbg=.jpg wbM8hfUS-WpY9LwaZ7PCXCgrTqFg0X0pW7e6m_EhZ4U=.jpg

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
Coconuts was great. The blackberry mojito was awesome too. Looks like we hit a lot of the same spots in Ft. Lauderdale

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yup, Fla boating is US mecca I think.... I've got two buddies who bring their families out each year to Newport Beach.... they always kinda chuckle after I give em what I think is our best VIP experience... Catalina, Emerald Bay etc.... they always kinda look at me and say, "Thats all there is?" I say pretty much thats our ocean experience locally. They just have much more to offer. Course if I wanted to trailer their asses all over the rivers and lakes in the Southwest they'd see otherwise, but I'm not that motivated.

Hammer

Reaction score
Every once in awhile I kick myself for not moving to Ft. Lauderdale. I Love Florida boating. The scenery on the ICW is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beerrun

Reaction score
Great pictures thanks for posting. We get to north Miami on April 20th for our birthdays can't wait. I watch haulover videos everyday and Miami river want to check that out

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
First.... let me start off by saying that Mr and Mrs Havasuhusker were a complete class act and a pleasure to spend the day with!!!!

We had a great time. We boated over 70 miles. Could be 80. We saw the entire intracoastal from Del Rey Beach to Downtown Fort Lauderdale.

Of course, I couldn’t help but pull a few verbal pranks. The first one being when I pointed out the “floating Manatee eggs”. The Huskers became like a fish on, as I described the Manatee eggs. I enjoyed it! Especially when I came clean and pointed out that they are really floating coconuts. I learned that funny trick while captaining tour boats on the intracoastal. It’s easy to fall for it, especially the way I set it up.

We had to start the day with a canal home tour, so we cruised through the Lighthouse Point canals. That’s where the pic of the Lexus boat was taken.

I figured we would head for Lake Boca the manly way...... out Hillsboro Inlet to Boca Inlet. Approximately half way there, I figured it was time to get Mr Husker some seat time..... so he took over. We had rollers quartering off our beam, which opened up a few holes. It is just how it is. Mr Husker did great...... so I thought he might like to try an inlet, so we paused outside the inlet, while we set up the boat, and I explained the technical aspect. It was actually stacking up at a good teaching level. It was perfect for explaining where you want to be in the trough and what is needed to be done when the wave you are on the back of.... dies. Mr Husker was a pro.

It was still a little early when we anchored in Lake Boca. I mention this because when we boated by it several hours later..... it was packed. The water at Lake Boca was really clear, but we hung out for a while and then headed north towards Boca Raton and Del Rey Beach. Mainly because north of Lake Boca is in Palm Beach County and they are not nearly as restrictive when it comes to slow manatee zones.

Once we did get up on plane...... Mr Husker lost his RDP hat. We couldn’t let that happen! For the first time since I built the boat I truly laid it over on an edge power turning it. I was impressed..... Mrs Husker screamed. More out of shock since I literally had the pilothouse almost completely sideways. We located the hat, and my bow thruster made it an easy pick up. We cruised to just before the Atlantic Ave bridge in Del Rey Beach, where we pulled into a cove and had lunch on the boat.

Its funny.... I bragged about both the sandwiches and Pizza in SoFlo and the Huskers got a sample of both.

At some point I get my wife on the phone and she can Join us, but we have to kill some time. So we cruise the intracoastal all the way to Hillsboro Inlet...... where we anchored up and went swimming.

Around 4pm we pull into my submerged boat lift, my wife jumps on, and we now head south for Fort Lauderdale. After cruising Bahia Mar, 15th Street canal, Pier 66, we decide to cruise up the New River to Condo Canyon or also known as Downtown Fort Lauderdale.

As we left Fort Lauderdale, the sun was starting to set. It is here that Havasuhusker took over the boat, for what would become a very cool boat ride. You see..... many of the weekend slow zones open back up at 7pm. Husker had the joy of boating the intracoastal on plane, which turned into complete darkness by the time we reached my boat lift.

Of coarse...... we had to continue the drinking on our balcony overlooking the intracoastal, whereas we ordered the Pizza. We had planned on going out together...... but we ended up having such a nice time chatting on the balcony, we never went anywhere. At 11:30 Pm we finally called it a night.

My wife and I had a great time with the Huskers. I told him that the entire day was on me...... but he refused to not give me anything. He really did not have too, but it truly shows Mr Huskers character, which I enjoyed all day. We didn’t know each other before we started, but I now look forward to when they return.

I am happy to take others on RDP for the same experience when my schedule allows. I might ad, I also did read some past posts of Havasuhusker before I extended the Olive Branch. I easily determined that he was a class act.

There is my trip report.

If you want to see my custom boat..... you have to come to Fort Lauderdale!

Cdog

Reaction score
We might plan a boys trip for the boat show in the fall. I’ll definitely hit u up

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
We might plan a boys trip for the boat show in the fall. I’ll definitely hit u up

Cdog..... I would be happy to take your group on a sightseeing tour of South Florida!

I can even sneak you into the boat show....... (don’t ask how? Lol)

sirbob

Reaction score
Love the Van Dutch! I've wanted one of their 30s for a while!

Great to hear these stories :)

Tom Slick

Reaction score
My wife and I have been trying to get down to the Exuma's for the past year, but Covid has really put a damper on that. And currently travel to the Bahamas sounds like a huge pain with their Covid protocols, so until things are back to normal down there we are talking about making a trip to Florida and taking in the sights. I've always wanted to take the drive from Lauderdale down to the Keys, so we may make the trip in November.

Great to read your stories about your trips to Southern Florida. I geek on the Florida Power Boat Club YouTube videos and look forward to taking it all in.

beerrun

Reaction score
Hey Tom slick look at American airlines more like call them we are flying to Miami round trip out of LAX non-stop $ 156.00 total for two but we had to call and ask to get those prices. I keep hearing of others that have as well

Tom Slick

Reaction score
Holy smokes, that is a crazy price. I'll definitely need to start looking at flights. Thanks and have a great trip!

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I was just going to ask to see the boat :D

There is a reason why I don’t mention the brand or show pictures of my custom boat. It is not that I am not proud and happy about it, but it’s because I use my own boat as a chase boat for yacht/boat deliveries.

Boat theft is rampant and very well organized in South Florida. We are contractually obligated to never mention a clients name, take any pictures of boat or even pictures from client boat while delivering. The secrecy must be kept at all times with NO social media. This includes location of clients home and even the brokerages that I work for are top secret.

Therefore any pic of my boat could be used in the future to determine if I am doing a delivery. I would rather not have that a question mark?

Here is an example of one of the boat theft rings at work...... They show up to a private home all wearing jackets that are in FBI colors, but say ASSETT RECOVERY. This makes the theft look perfectly legitimate. Later..... either the outboards are going to be put on an international shipping container or the entire boat Will show up on the beach, after 30 migrants jump off..... into the neighborhood.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
There is a reason why I don’t mention the brand or show pictures of my custom boat. It is not that I am not proud and happy about it, but it’s because I use my own boat as a chase boat for yacht/boat deliveries.

Boat theft is rampant and very well organized in South Florida. We are contractually obligated to never mention a clients name, take any pictures of boat or even pictures from client boat while delivering. The secrecy must be kept at all times with NO social media. This includes location of clients home and even the brokerages that I work for are top secret.

Therefore any pic of my boat could be used in the future to determine if I am doing a delivery. I would rather not have that a question mark?

Here is an example of one of the boat theft rings at work...... They show up to a private home all wearing jackets that are in FBI colors, but say ASSETT RECOVERY. This makes the theft look perfectly legitimate. Later..... either the outboards are going to be put on an international shipping container or the entire boat Will show up on the beach, after 30 migrants jump off..... into the neighborhood.
Wow, I no idea. Very cool what you do and I respect your not sharing with us for those reasons. Pretty cool that you have a boat that doubles for work and pleasure.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Good job C-Ya. Way to show em around like that.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Boaters and members on this forum almost always a class act. Thanks for posting. Recently I moved my son to the Bay Area and a member offered up a boat ride on the Delta. Couldn’t accept because of timing but very cool gesture, just like here.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Wow, I no idea. Very cool what you do and I respect your not sharing with us for those reasons. Pretty cool that you have a boat that doubles for work and pleasure.

Even though I don‘t show pics..... I will describe my boat for all of you. It was built for The Bahamas.

It is made completely of a composite called Nida-Core.
My entire 30’ boat weighs 5000lb loaded
I can go 400 miles on a tank of gas at 25mph
I can go 700 miles on a tank of gas at 7 knots
My boat only drafts 16 inches
Yamaha Outboard
Armstrong Bracket
Trim Tabs
The hardtop is oversized and is 16’ in total length and has the effect of a double Bimini top, but way better
The hardtop is fully lined with upholstery, grab handles, lighting, and pole holders
When enclosed with canvas, my boat has living room and bedroom
I have shore power
Built in battery chargers
Front Pilothouse windows that flip open to get wind in your face
Twin windshield wipers for when it’s raining and we are dry
Twin fans
Bow Thruster with joystick control
Pushbutton anchor (windlass anchor)
Transom shower
Porcelain head with holding tank and macerator discharge
Led lighting throughout
Holding cleats which allow me to always have a port and starboard spring line ready at all times
Gas Barbecue
Sink
Countertop
seating for eight
everything metal is high grade stainless steel
removable upholstery - it just snaps into place and is kept in cabin when not in use.
bottom paint - which I really don’t need since I have a Boatlift.
roof rack capable of carrying paddle boards, dinghies, or whatever
A complete Garmin electronics package with the latest and greatest navigation
Auto pilot - This actually pays for itself with a true savings in fuel.
Portable air-conditioning in I am on shore power.
It has a flat bottom with a sharp point on entry like an Axopar
It has a classic downeast design that would win a beauty contest in Maine. Lol
There is a learning curve to driving this kind of boat.
The Captains chair is super expensive. Lol
The passenger seat faces forward.
I have never see another like mine. Actually there have been a total of 6 of my boats made in last 7 years, but I have never seen another. You have to order it.

Geez..... I still feel like I am forgetting something. If I remember..... I will ad it.