WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Annual boat servicing.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Do you do it at end of last season or just before new summer boating?
Any rhyme or reason for doing it one way or the other?
How about the DIY'ers?

CobraDave

Reaction score
My new plan is this. The boat is stored in Havasu and I will pull it home in June. I pick June because it is gonna be outside with a cover on in the driveway and is less likely to rain. I do all of the services myself and pull it back in about a month and tuck it back in the garage. I save money on the service. I plan and getting it detailed out here I will probably save money there too. Also shorter lines to get something done at a boat shop if I need to. Worked well last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Generally whenever I have time to drop it off at the shop...

RD

CobraDave

Reaction score
I think as long as your servicing per the recommendations, time of year doesn’t matter. Just take care of the fuel over the winter using Stabil.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I actually service mine every two years. As far as before or after I have both. Just depends on how busy I am.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I think as long as your servicing per the recommendations, time of year doesn’t matter. Just take care of the fuel over the winter using Stabil.

Yeah.. I don't do the fuel stabilizer thing either. LOL Maybe playing with fire but been doing it the same since 2010 with the same boat. All has been good.

TCHB

Reaction score
I do all of my maintenance during the winter months. I like to take my time and go through the entire boat and reorganize the storage compartments.

wet hull

Reaction score
What is this boat service you speak of? Mine runs perfect at all times and needs nothing ever. 😂😂

I wish, typically it's right before desert storm and then periodically during season dependent on the what gremlins show their head.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I usually do it when I am out in Havasu for spring break. I will run it once first just to make sure everything works and I don't have any new problems. I change the oil and filter that night after dinner, and do the rest of the service the next morning.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I usually shoot for April so the impeller is as fresh as possible however, this year I had it done in February. Full service every year regardless of hours put on the boat. For a roll bar boat that is engine oil, v drive, and impeller along with a full visual inspection of everything else. This year I had my whole drive line gone through so I wanted to get it to the mechanic early in case there were any surprises.

Reactions: DWC

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Normally had ours done in April but last time was July

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Always do it in the spring, don't want it to sit all winter. I'm a fair weather boater, don't go out between Nov. and April unless on someones pontoon.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Mine gets picked up mid march by so cal s/m every year..

robby dmax

Reaction score
I do it all in April so everything is fresh for the summer oil,filters and drive oil plus a new impeller.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
getting ready to take ours in to see bob as soon as there is an opening at the shop...we always get the last spot in line haha....Always get it done before desert storm

Familyties

Reaction score
I take the golf cart down to the Springs Boat shop in January and order service and they get the boat out of storage and return it after service.. So easy

Joker

Reaction score
Just dropped mine off at Fallon today. Detail Specialties gets it on Tuesday, then over to Adrenaline. To be honest, i appreciate the way the shops work together in Havasu To get your boat from one destination to the next.

DWC

Reaction score
The majority of the time it’s done pre-season. For us that’s Feb/March getting ready for the annual Easter trip. Getting it done just prior to the season seems to make sense.
We’ve also done July annuals and didn’t have any issues.. Hardest part seems to be finding the right shop.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Do you do it at end of last season or just before new summer boating?
Any rhyme or reason for doing it one way or the other?
How about the DIY'ers?
I usually service in March and that kicks off the season for us.

Spot

Reaction score
Pre-season January through April.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
If a water pump impeller is involved....I do that as late as possible, since the vanes taking a set and losing tension against the housing is typically the failure mode (I've never had one lose vanes). Lower unit oil gets changed soon after summer so any water that might have found it's way in there doesn't corrode shit all winter. Everything else gets handled the day before or morning of the first trip, without fail. LOL.

cofooter

Reaction score
End of season, no need for dirty oil and water to sit in it for 6 mths.

CHECKERED_PAST

Reaction score
Everything done in spring right before April. I do all the work and it starts mid March. Like to get everything out of the way as to not have any basic problems. Nothing worse then towing 600+ miles just to work on a boat or trailer on the way to or from. List is large
Engine oil
Drive oil
Sea pump impeller check or change
Drive belts checked
Fuel filter every other year
Deep clean interior
Polish and wax boat and trailer
Check repack or change wheel bearings
Tires every third or fourth year depending on miles
And any upgrades at same time
That’s pretty much most give or take a few. I like to make my year as hassle free as I can and enjoy knowing what shape everything is in.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
It started as every year, then every other year but I used to tow the last boat from havasu back to Cobra to have services, small updates, upgrades, repairs and maintenance done around the beginning of each new year. Way better time frame for the shops to do good quality work without being rushed. On the years that I didn't tow it back to CA, a scheduled appointment in Havasu can get your service done in a day before spring break hits. I would be good for the summer! With another oil change at the end of summer, I would run the boat thru the winter.

Different times today with the toon. It doesn't have the same needs so I just plan to have it done when the hour meter is at the recommended intervals (every 100 hours) :)
This year I anticipate doing a little more boating than last, plus a trip to lake powell in June. the 100 hour service may come quickly.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Did the engine oil today. Drive lube probably in a couple weeks. I kinda mix it up depending on what I have on hand and where my head's at. Can't find my drive lube pump, so it was easy to procrastinate on that. Complete new Hardin water pump late last season.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
End of the season November, change oil/filter, grease the U-joints and Log seal and Rudder, Drain H2O and fill with Antifreeze 50/50 to prevent Corrosion, remove pump vane, loosen Alt belt, gas treatment, Done for winter.
Spring: Check the Clean oil, drain Antifreeze, Tighten Alt Belt, install pump vane, Run her, And check it out and go for a Cruise.

sprintcvx

Reaction score
I always change the gear oil in the fall. We boat in salt water and don't want potentially contaminated oil sitting all winter.