WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anodes- Are they necessary if.......

Water Romper

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Older Merc Blk Max, 150hp. I have a new lower unit and it came with the spot for two anodes (one on each side) My old lower did NOT have this.
My question is: Are these necessary if I do not run in salt water and I do not leave the boat in fresh water overnight. Do they make an after market "plate" or something to fill the spot where the anode would go. or- would you just throw a couple anodes on and call it good. Can these be painted? I read that they should NOT but who cares if I really don't need them for what they are intended. Thanks in advance

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Hi Guys, Older Merc Blk Max, 150hp. I have a new lower unit and it came with the spot for two anodes (one on each side) My old lower did NOT have this.
My question is: Are these necessary if I do not run in salt water and I do not leave the boat in fresh water overnight. Do they make an after market "plate" or something to fill the spot where the anode would go. or- would you just throw a couple anodes on and call it good. Can these be painted? I read that they should NOT but who cares if I really don't need them for what they are intended. Thanks in advance
If you have the anode on the bottom of the cave plate, you are likely fine without them. But, I would just put some on. Not too sure if I'd worry about them being natural zinc color, but if thats a problem for you and you don't put it in salt and have the other anodes, I'd suppose you could coat the surface with phantom black and leave the perimeter exposed so it'll still function.

OC Mike

Reaction score
The short answer is yes, they are necessary. There are to protect against Galvanic corrosion.
True, salt water is more corrosive, happens is freah water also.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Corrosion is a cumulative thing, it happens over time and usage. So yes. Put anodes on.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Always run one.
BTW how does your hallett run with the 150. I'm finishing mine up and have a 200 and have no idea how it's gonna do or how to prop it.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Always run one.
BTW how does your hallett run with the 150. I'm finishing mine up and have a 200 and have no idea how it's gonna do or how to prop it.
Thanks for the advice on the anode. As far as the Hallett with the 150- it hauls ass. I have the Gill set back with a Jack plate, The thing has great top end and comes to plane fast and stable. The hull ( an original from Irwindale, CA) is solid and handles chop as well as can be expected for a 19 footer. I have not pulled skiers or tubes so I don't know how it works in that dept. Know this is not a typical 150- it was a Jet first, yes, a Mercury Outboard Jet- popular in these parts so it was converted to a prop. Apparently, the outboard gurus would know better than I, its got a bit more HP and torque than a stock prop 150, I can't validate that, but it will hit 80 under the right conditions- confirmed by local Sheriffs using their radar, plenty fast for the wife and I. it's the Sport Skier model- a few RDP members have them and they look great.
Your 200 (assuming its an older 2 stroke Black Max) will push your boat just fine- but hang on to the steering wheel (unless you're running hydraulics) the torque warrants respect, you will get "Popeye" forearms. Post some picks, always enjoy looking at Mr Barrons handy work. Oh, and know these models are gathering interest, not sure why, maybe its because its a older Hallett and were made really well back when pride was a thing. People hit me up all the time and I am nowhere near Havasu.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
20220702_163222.jpg
This is the only pic I have. Need to pull it out and get a better one. What prop are you running? I can use that as a reference on where to start

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I've always wondered about anodes, and how necessary they are, as I have a couple of ditch pumps, and they're void of any anodes.
Rarely is the bötè in overnight, over the last 22 years of day use (and a few overnights), I haven't seen any galvanic corrosion, all in the Colorado River. I'm more worried about the aluminum intake to the iron head water ports, with stainless bolts.

Dan'l

Water Romper

Reaction score
I'm pretty worthless when it comes to spec's, this prop came with the boat/motor. I looked and there are no markings etc...Wish I could be of more help. BTW- that's the new SEI lower unit- see the other thread about this

Attachments

• 20220703_090503.jpg
    20220703_090503.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220703_090536.jpg
    20220703_090536.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220703_090543.jpg
    20220703_090543.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 27

Water Romper

Reaction score
Looks like a 2.5maybe try a 24 Rev4? What kind of set-back is on it?
I have a typical Gill Bracket (pouplar with old Halletts) with a Jack Plate. Sets back pretty far, not sure it's the most logical setup for this boat but it works. I would take the Jack Plate off if I had my way, I would think Mr. Barron had the best performance set up figured out when this boat was new.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I have a typical Gill Bracket (pouplar with old Halletts) with a Jack Plate. Sets back pretty far, not sure it's the most logical setup for this boat but it works. I would take the Jack Plate off if I had my way, I would think Mr. Barron had the best performance set up figured out when this boat was new.
I'm not too sure what Hallett's approach either this hull was when they were making it, but most efficient set-up for this particular hull ans combination may not have been accounted for. For example, my '85 Lavey came with a 15" aluminum plate bracket but it would porpoise like crazy when there were. Ore than 2 people in the boat. I talked to a guy that used to work at Lavey back then and he told me the Interceptor was. Ore like their production hulls and they all got the same set-up. No matter which engine or, more importantly, open or closed bow. With that in mind I cut 5" off the side plates to bring it to a 10" set back and it is 1000 times better.

If your ride is good and balanced, then you are likely fine and with the motor that far back, a peop with more transom lift would likely be beneficial. I'm assuming you are going to be running the engine in a surface piercing position so I would suggest starting with a 24 pitch and go from there.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Looks like a 2.5maybe try a 24 Rev4? What kind of set-back is on it?
20220708_163409.jpg
Not sure what the bracket is but it's a 13 inch set back and has hydraulic jack set up in it. Little dirty. 1987 blackmax 200