WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Another “I’ll bring my Tesla to Havasu.” feel good story. 🤣🤣🤣

78Southwind

Reaction score
The ones at the heat you have to be a hotel
Guest to use.. lol

We had a friend bring a Tesla out here.. no towing no nada.. ran into the same problems. Lol

Bottom line unless you have a charger at your house out here it’s difficult to say the least.
Unless thinks have changed, If you go and have a couple drinks they let you charge there. A couple of years ago, I went in and asked if I could charge my Volt while my girl and I had some drinks. They were fine with it. Since it is a Volt and can run on gas too, I was really just checking if it was possible to charge in Havasu.

78Southwind

Reaction score
My friend brought out his model Y for the weekend to launch his boat. 2 of us said take your Raptor, it is not going to work well.

He drives out, and it takes an extra hour and a half in total. Charges up to 80% in Needles. Picks up his boat there. He’s down under 10 miles range when he gets to his place towing his boat from Needles to Havasu and can’t understand why it used so much power. 🤪

Plugs it into 110 at midnight last night to charge and realizes he lost a seat cushion on the tow out. He’s obviously stuck and can’t go looking for it. Car has like 40 miles of range this morning so he asks around who will loan him an ICE vehicle to go look for his lost cushion this morning.

He’s not really sure yet how he is going to get home either after the revelation that towing sucks with an EV. The car will be dead every day from launching the boat and only charging in 110.

The Tesla won’t be back. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
What I really want to know is what kind of boat can a Model Y tow...lol Sea Don't?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Thinking I got a great side hustle. $100 a charge with 2 chargers on the side of the house lol.
We've seen your electrical work, so I'm pretty sure you're capable thereof! That's actually a pretty slick side hustle for modern times. Make a few hookups with people doing VRBO's near you, and you're golden.
I hear this is how people make money, filling a relatively new need. For roadside guys, it may even benefit them to have diesel gensets to fast chargers.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Yore buddy needs to plan better...

Needles to Havasu.. That's about 38 miles, and you said he had about 10 miles of range left when he go to his place in Havasu.. So you're saying the Tesla Model Y can only tow 48 miles at 80%? There are guys on YouTube that get more than double that towing. I wonder why?

Your buddy needs to install a Tesla Wall Connector at his place in Havasu. They're pretty easy to install and will charge the car to about 44 miles an hour.. This is all basic stuff.. I don't know anyone that charges 110, but it makes for a good story.

Tesla's are not even close to being a great long range solution, but it can be done. Comparing a Model Y to a Raptor? lol, ok.. Sure, why not?

I've been saying it for years, someone in Havasu should open up a Tesla Supercharger station right outside their business, like a restaurant... There's a Supercharger in Mojave right outside a mexican restaurant, they have average food but the place is always busy with Tesla folks.
The shitter is full as well 🤣

hallett21

Reaction score
We've seen your electrical work, so I'm pretty sure you're capable thereof! That's actually a pretty slick side hustle for modern times. Make a few hookups with people doing VRBO's near you, and you're golden.
I hear this is how people make money, filling a relatively new need. For roadside guys, it may even benefit them to have diesel gensets to fast chargers.
An @RiverDave building situation is where it’s at. 3phase power and easy parking. You could have 3 Tesla wall chargers with a remote trigger so they are off unless you say so. Or make them “free” somehow.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Buddy went to the heat last weekend to get a charge, they flat out said no since he wasn't a guest, no payment options

Javajoe

Reaction score
The ones at the heat you have to be a hotel
Guest to use.. lol

We had a friend bring a Tesla out here.. no towing no nada.. ran into the same problems. Lol

Bottom line unless you have a charger at your house out here it’s difficult to say the least.
We paid 35.00 to use it overnight when we stayed across the street

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
An @RiverDave building situation is where it’s at. 3phase power and easy parking. You could have 3 Tesla wall chargers with a remote trigger so they are off unless you say so. Or make them “free” somehow.

The DC fast chargers need 3 phase power, and a lot of it. I don't see how the charge nation type outfits make any money, the demand charges ($$$) from the utility are pretty steep for no more than they are used, in my experience.

Sharky

Reaction score
Went to OC, LA and Hollywood today…. This thing is going back in the garage. No chance it’s heading to Havasu again. They’re great cars
Just not for road trips.

View attachment 1235326

What I have discovered now owning an EV is, they are incredible as an everyday driver. Work & back. Grocery store, hardware store, running everyday-weekend errands. All the trips you do every day around town or locally.

Anything over 150 miles, better have a full charge before you leave. If the battery gauge shows you have 210 miles left and you are going to do a 120 mile trip at 75 + MPH with the heater or AC on. . . . you might be walking on the return trip or trying to find a charger. BTDT couple weeks ago.

My Bolt showed I had 200+ miles left. Trip to Fort Collins and back is 120 miles. Keeping up with traffic at 80+ MPH and the heater on was no problem. Got to FortCollins and battery showed I might not make it back. Showed 90 miles remaining but, judging by the battery usage on the trip up, I did not want to chance it driving back.

Really long trips, better map out your charging locations and have a full charge.

Highway speeds of 75MPH or better really suck the battery down. No different than a gas/diesel engine vehicle but, you can always find a gas station.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Update.. a deal was made today for my friend with an F250 to tow the boat back to storage in Needles on Monday morning because it will take too long to charge and drive back and it is questionable if the Tesla will even make it make it because it is sitting all day after launching the boat and can only charge at night on the 110.

In other news River Whips members spotted the missing cushion but none of them picked it up. 😂

I have to take my angle grinder over there later because he was swapping the battery on his boat and the post on the battery started spinning..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What I really want to know is what kind of boat can a Model Y tow...lol Sea Don't?

It’s a 23’ Commander. Launches it fine out of Windsor. Aside from running out of power, it towed it in from Needles OK.

If it was strictly a launch vehicle and you had a 220V charger, I think it would be fine.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Update.. a deal was made today for my friend with an F250 to tow the boat back to storage in Needles on Monday morning because it will take too long to charge and drive back and it is questionable if the Tesla will even make it make it because it is sitting all day after launching the boat and can only charge at night on the 110.

In other news River Whips members spotted the missing cushion but none of them picked it up. 😂

I have to take my angle grinder over there later because he was swapping the battery on his boat and the post on the battery started spinning..
F-250??? That is way over kill. Why didn’t you just tow it with you F-150?

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Buddy went to the heat last weekend to get a charge, they flat out said no since he wasn't a guest, no payment options

Yeah, it’s a “resort charger” and not a Tesla Supercharger, lots of Hotels do this.. It’s clearly labeled this on the Tesla’s map. No Tesla owner should be surprised by this at all as it’s only for Guests of the Heat hotel.

DWC

Reaction score
What I have discovered now owning an EV is, they are incredible as an everyday driver. Work & back. Grocery store, hardware store, running everyday-weekend errands. All the trips you do every day around town or locally.

Anything over 150 miles, better have a full charge before you leave. If the battery gauge shows you have 210 miles left and you are going to do a 120 mile trip at 75 + MPH with the heater or AC on. . . . you might be walking on the return trip or trying to find a charger. BTDT couple weeks ago.

My Bolt showed I had 200+ miles left. Trip to Fort Collins and back is 120 miles. Keeping up with traffic at 80+ MPH and the heater on was no problem. Got to FortCollins and battery showed I might not make it back. Showed 90 miles remaining but, judging by the battery usage on the trip up, I did not want to chance it driving back.

Really long trips, better map out your charging locations and have a full charge.

Highway speeds of 75MPH or better really suck the battery down. No different than a gas/diesel engine vehicle but, you can always find a gas station.
The part that pisses me off is Tesla could tell you exactly how many miles you can go on pretty much any road, in any condition. The “range” number is complete BS.

calkid

Reaction score
People are usually shocked when they find out I'm not a very good electrician :cool:

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
The part that pisses me off is Tesla could tell you exactly how many miles you can go on pretty much any road, in any condition. The “range” number is complete BS.
Really? They can’t pre-determine how fast you want to go, how hard you want to accelerate, or how little you will brake. Then add towing in… and you’d have to input the weight, as well as the aerodynamic drag coefficients.

Roosky01

Reaction score
I am patiently waiting for the F150 Lightings to go on the “please buy these fuk’n things!” sale and I will then pull the trigger. I have a 120 mile round trip commute (all good Interstate) and from my driveway to the boat ramp is only 6 miles.

I figure I am the perfect candidate?

DWC

Reaction score
Really? They can’t pre-determine how fast you want to go, how hard you want to accelerate, or how little you will brake. Then add towing in… and you’d have to input the weight, as well as the aerodynamic drag coefficients.
Really. They could absolutely tell you what the average Tesla uses going from Barstow to Havasu based on elevation changes, temperature and speed trends. They’re not even close. It’s not just false information they provide, it’s complete BS.
The original “guesstimate” is at least 10-12% off, sometimes much more. Tesla has plenty of people on staff that could get that within 1% if they wanted to. Problem is they don’t want to. They’d have to advertise actual range.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
The DC fast chargers need 3 phase power, and a lot of it. I don't see how the charge nation type outfits make any money, the demand charges ($$$) from the utility are pretty steep for no more than they are used, in my experience.
I was thinking $100 a charge. My math in AZ says 30-40 a charge.

Edit

@Javajoe just waiting to hear where I am wrong.

78Southwind

Reaction score
It’s a 23’ Commander. Launches it fine out of Windsor. Aside from running out of power, it towed it in from Needles OK.

If it was strictly a launch vehicle and you had a 220V charger, I think it would be fine.

I can't image that being a fun tow, those Model Y's are slightly bigger than my Chevy Volt.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
EV technology is reaching its limits as far as batteries go. Lithium or not, it can't cut the mustard for certain uses obviously.
We need the next "Newton" to invent the next big leap in this field......or steal this alien spaceships battery😄😎🤣 They seem to be able to get to far away places.😉😎
20200518_153151 (1).jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I found my retirement plan. Trailer and app for all the electric vehicles stuck on the highway. Easy peasy...
A crew cab roll back with a shorter bed (EV's all seem to be smaller) and a stinger to tow their trailers. Instead of jockey boxes, a military style 3ph diesel genset and a fast charger.
Two services, roadside charge, or pickup and delivery. Don't know about legalities and safety of charging while in transit...but possibly an additional service?

If not doing wrecks and typical highway stuff, it would limit what you'd need to carry. It would also mean your rig, and your person, would be easy to keep clean. I'd want it set up with a "privacy" wall, like a limo. Give them their own AC and radio. Then you wouldn't have to listen to the arguments over the EV or the tow bill;)

yuppie

Reaction score
Cybertruck should be a bit better in this regard with over 500 mile range (up to 700?), three motors and huge torque.

Very interested to see how it performs real-world.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Rivian RS1.

7700 lb tow rating, 3 ft of water, 316 mile range. 140 mile bump, with a 20 minute fast charge. 😉

looks nice, full size.

Javajoe

Reaction score
I was thinking $100 a charge. My math in AZ says 30-40 a charge.

Edit

@Javajoe just waiting to hear where I am wrong.
You are wrong 😉
Anyway…pretty cheap to charge on the road at Tesla Chargers. Not a commute vehicle for sure. Wife’s retired so perfect for her. I’ll keep my diesel. We actually drove her car to Prescott then Havasu from Riverside one day to look at trucks and boats. Pretty sketchy pulling into Havasu with barely any miles left. Car is fun and fast and that’s why she bought it. She could care less about the environment. I can’t imagine towing anything with it.

Reactions: DWC

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I found my retirement plan. Trailer and app for all the electric vehicles stuck on the highway. Easy peasy...
And you can demand surge rates (like Uber) by parking next to supercharging stations on busy holiday weekends 😂

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Rivian RS1.

7700 lb tow rating, 3 ft of water, 316 mile range. 140 mile bump, with a 20 minute fast charge. 😉

looks nice, full size.

I think they’re more like 7/8ths size, my Silverado seems quite a bit larger

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s a “resort charger” and not a Tesla Supercharger, lots of Hotels do this.. It’s clearly labeled this on the Tesla’s map. No Tesla owner should be surprised by this at all as it’s only for Guests of the Heat hotel.
He wasn’t
He just wanted to see if he could
That way he didn’t have to stop at needles on the way to Vegas the next day

So he left early
Charged in needles and off he went

Sharky

Reaction score
Yup. That battery meter in any EV is a complete guess.

Part of learning an EV.

Gas vehicle, shows a 1/2 tank. My Silverado I know that's about 16-18 gallons. 10MPG and that's about 160+ miles. I can take that to the bank.

Electric. . . . Its a guess.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Rivian RS1.

looks nice, full size.

And it’s already underwhelming owners 😂

It looks nice.. it’s not full size.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Really. They could absolutely tell you what the average Tesla uses going from Barstow to Havasu based on elevation changes, temperature and speed trends. They’re not even close. It’s not just false information they provide, it’s complete BS.
The original “guesstimate” is at least 10-12% off, sometimes much more. Tesla has plenty of people on staff that could get that within 1% if they wanted to. Problem is they don’t want to. They’d have to advertise actual range.

This is my entire problem with all EVs. My dumb gas truck can estimate within 5% my range. A Tesla has access to the entire internet to gather weather, traffic conditions, knows your driving habits and they have AI attached to the system to upload all your driving data to learn self driving, and yet the range estimates are consistently inaccurate.

If I tell you where I am going you should be able to tell me what the actual range will be.

yuppie

Reaction score
Rivian RS1.

looks nice, full size.

300-ish mile range is right in line with the Tesla Model Y and when you're towing around ~4K lbs, I bet that range is cut by more than half.

Love the look of those Rivian's though.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
300-ish mile range is right in line with the Tesla Model Y and when you're towing around ~4K lbs, I bet that range is cut by more than half.

Love the look of those Rivian's though.
It might fit my needs, if Havasu gets fast chargers at the ramp. 😉

I mostly just boat in the Phoenix area.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
To put a period on this happy story since I caught up with the involved parties last night -

Friend with F250 towed the boat back to needles for our Tesla friend.

Tesla still had to stop and charge 2 more times to get home to OC from Havasu after the 4 hour charge for $25 at Days Inn.

Before the trip he paid Tesla $1300 to set up their tow hitch and trailer light wiring on his Model Y and the trailer lights didn’t work.

In conclusion this will never be attempted with this Tesla car again… but he wants to get a CyberTruck or Rivian Dual Motor and thinks he can do it with that.

We got a good laugh.

Last edited: