WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Another “I’ll bring my Tesla to Havasu.” feel good story. 🤣🤣🤣

DWC

Reaction score
To put a period on this happy story since I caught up with involved last night -

Friend with F250 towed the boat back to needles for our Tesla friend.

Tesla still had to stop and charge 2 more times to get home to OC from Havasu after the 4 hour charge for $25 at Days Inn.

Before the trip he paid Tesla $1300 to set up their tow hitch and trailer light wiring on his Model Y and the trailer lights didn’t work.

In conclusion this will never be attempted with this Tesla car again… but he wants to get a CyberTruck or Rivian Dual Motor and thinks he can do it with that.

We got a good laugh.
I don’t think we’re even close with current technology. Getting to Havasu on a single charge is one thing. Towing.. Don’t see it happening in the near future.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don’t think we’re even close with current technology. Getting to Havasu on a single charge is one thing. Towing.. Don’t see it happening in the near future.
No problems, only solutions...
How about making a con-gear, a converter dolly if you will. Basically a battery pack and a drive motor, with a wireless connection to the odbII port. Match vehicle speed and throttle angle, even regen breaking for itself.

Personally, I'd rather stick with gas or diesel. These folks with electric cars have money to spend though...

DWC

Reaction score
How about making a con-gear, a converter dolly if you will. Basically a battery pack and a drive motor, with a wireless connection to the odbII port. Match vehicle speed and throttle angle, even regen breaking for itself.

Personally, I'd rather stick with gas or diesel. These folks with electric cars have money to spend though...
Seems like someone would have figured out an Aux battery type deal if it was possible. I looked for one after our first Havasu trip. They’re great commuter cars. They’re not even close to replacing “real” trucks anytime soon.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

I agree. Not even close.

I watched him tell someone else that was not familiar with the story last night that the car used “Double the range while towing” and then said the car used 120 miles of range in 40 miles.

Response from 3rd party - “ Wait isn’t that using triple the range, not double?”

I smiled and took another sip of my bourbon waiting for the response.

Him - “No it only used double the range”

😂😂

Then when talking about the electric trucks that will fix this problem -

Him- I need the Rivian or Tesla with 400 mile range.

Me - the 300 mile trucks get 80-100 miles towing. Another 100 miles isn't going to get you there.

Him - That is towing at their max, 11000 lbs. The do much better when towing motorcycles.

Me - No that is towing a car on a trailer up a hill like Cajon, it gets less than half its range best case.

Him - My boat only weighs 3500 lbs. it will work.

Me - What about the 1500 lb trailer?

Him - I will make it. It does 0-60 in 4 seconds.

His wife - “We are never trying that again.”

😂

DWC

Reaction score
I agree. Not even close.

I watched him tell someone else that was not familiar with the story last night that the car used “Double the range while towing” and then said the car used 120 miles of range in 40 miles.

Response from 3rd party - “ Wait isn’t that using triple the range, not double?”

😂😂

Me - the 300 mile trucks get 80-100 miles towing. Another 100 miles isn't going to get you there.

Him - That is towing at their max, 11000 lbs. The do much better when towing motorcycles.

Me - No that is towing a car on a trailer up a hill like Cajon, it gets less than half its range best case.

😂
That’s the part i feel is disingenuous. When you hit Navigation on the Tesla and enter a destination “they” absolutely know how far it will go. They have thousands, if not tens of thousands, of data points to reference. Temps, grade, wind, prior trips, etc. If the Tesla team can’t future it out I’m sure they could borrow some SpaceX people for the weekend and dial it in. The problem is when you get in and hit Havasu and the range goes from 315 to 215 people would actually figure out the scam.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That’s the part i feel is disingenuous. When you hit Navigation on the Tesla and enter a destination “they” absolutely know how far it will go. They have thousands, if not tens of thousands, of data points to reference. Temps, grade, wind, prior trips, etc. If the Tesla team can’t future it out I’m sure they could borrow some SpaceX people for the weekend and dial it in. The problem is when you get in and hit Havasu and the range goes from 315 to 215 people would actually figure out the scam.

Exactly. That BS is really the only reason that keeps me out of one.

“They” know exactly what it will do. I think part of it is a scam to get your money from charging due to range anxiety.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Thank Goodness he got that tow hitch...

Tesla Towing Generator.jpg

Good Stuff

Reaction score

Airstream is doing it for their trailers.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I agree. Not even close.

😂😂

😂

It’s funny to me that people can be intelligent enough to earn a wage that they can buy expensive vehicles. But are still this dam stupid.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I agree. Not even close.

😂😂

😂
On the highways it’s more about drag than weight…until you get to a hill.

Have fun explaining that to him 😂

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
All I got out of this thread is that an F250 is a better tow vehicle than a Tezla model Y and LOF's friend needs to plan ahead more if he's gonna take his electric car on road trips towing his commander. So enlightening....

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
All I got out of this thread is that an F250 is a better tow vehicle than a Tezla model Y and LOF's friend needs to plan ahead more if he's gonna take his electric car on road trips towing his commander. So enlightening....

Some people need more enlightening than others.. 😂.

I haven’t got to the part about him stripping all 4 threaded battery posts on the 2 new boat batteries and the boat steering breaking at the brazil valve.

hallett21

Reaction score
110v
$5/hour
Looks like a 0 to full charge is like $15-20 in havasu on a 240/48amp setup.

I mean realistically if you charged $100 to get someone out of a bind I feel like that’s fair. It’s gonna cost $100-150 to fill a pickup truck so what’s the difference?

I’m just wondering do Tesla owners not carry the multiple converter plugs? There’s so many RV 30-50amp receptacles in that town. You could just start knocking on doors with the same $100 bill.

2Driver

Reaction score
It’s funny to me that people can be intelligent enough to earn a wage that they can buy expensive vehicles. But are still this dam stupid.

I swear I say that daily. I feel sorry for who ever they work for or they must have a very narrow job description.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
The older teslas included the cable/plug, so many owners will carry them in their vehicle. Sometime in ‘22 they became a separate item to purchase, so not everyone has one, I have a home charger so have no need for the charging cable.

I’m not sure what electricity costs in Havasu, but a full charge off peak in Phoenix is under $5. Even on peak it will be under $10. A supercharger maybe up to $25-$30 depending on time of day and rate. A typical home charge on my vehicle is a dollar or two.

I can’t speak for the Havasu area, but in some areas businesses with fast chargers (for example, a Real Estate office with a Tesla wall charger in place for their employees) will offer their use after hours for a small donation from those who use them. Some individuals will also offer their chargers for public use under certain circumstances.

Taboma

Reaction score
My son bought a Tesla 3 for his work and to save some miles off his newer Super Duty.

He calls me a couple of days ago " Hey dad, thought I'd come visit next someday next week. I was planning on driving the Mod 3 down, that nema 5-14R 50 RV receptacle still hooked up an working ? "
Guess that's the current times equivalent of "Hey dad, can you spot me a tank of gas ?" 🤣

In truth, I'm glad he's bringing it, I've never even sat in or ridden in one, so looking forward to the new experience.
The really fun part I'm looking forward to will be the whispered gossip when all my Trump loving neighbors spot it backed in
and charging in my driveway.
Hope they don't call the fire department, I get about three emails a week from them posting articles or links about another EV spontaneously combusting. They're all afraid :oops:
I realize I'm replying to my own post, but it's an post son-visit and first EV ride update.

Son calls on his way down to SD from Ventura, decided to pull in at Carlsbad, grab a snack and boost his batts at the Tesla S-chargers there --- yes, he suffers some from range anxiety on longer trips. I know I would.

Gets to my house, we go to hook him up to my 240V/50A/ RV receptacle and after not finding his adaptor, remembers he loaned it to a customer the other day. 🙃 Good thing he decided to stop on the way 👍

This was my first time riding in any Tesla or EV besides my golf cart, a real EV virgin.

I must say, it really surprised me how much enjoyed his Tesla Model 3 single motor, I was seriously impressed.
The seats were far more comfortable than I'd imagined, the ride was great and I was amazed how quiet it was as I figured without the normal engine and other noises the road and tire noise might be irritating, not one bit. We didn't turn the audio on, so no music in the background either.

Perhaps my only minor gripes were how low the seats felt when I was getting in --- or more like dropping my aging ass down into the seat.
My only other minor issue was the tech. I didn't like the idea of seemingly every function of the car being controlled from the touch display screen. I find that way to distracting, hell, just to open the glove box requires dicking around on the screen.
Son claims you can give the car instructions to perform functions, but the only conversation I've had with my Raptor is to tell that bitch in my Nav to F-off when she gets all bitchy and insistent I turn when I don't want to.

Since my wife never got to ride in it, her and I stopped at the Ford dealer and we test drove a new Mustang Mach E-GT.
I liked it better, seats were comfy as hell, but easier for me to get in and out of due to being higher. A lot of basic functions are still far more analog with conventional mechanical controls and hot-damn, it hauls ass very nicely.
Wife liked it as a potential to replace her Audi SQ-5 that essentially only gets driven around town, which seems perfect for EVs.
I could never see us going to Havasu in one.

This for me makes the case for the Plug-in Hybrids. Electric for my wife's work and market trips, and gas for the longer trips.
Problem seems to be their absolute dogs compared to these EV and I really enjoyed the acceleration of that GT.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I’m just wondering do Tesla owners not carry the multiple converter plugs? There’s so many RV 30-50amp receptacles in that town. You could just start knocking on doors with the same $100 bill.

Absolutely you can do that if you had to. I keep the mobile charger in the trunk with the adapters. But only if something went terrible wrong with my plans. I think a hundred bucks is on the steep side tho..

The Days Inn in Havasu has 2 Tesla chargers, free for guests and $25 for non guests to use. There's an app called Plugshare, it tells you where all the chargers are in the area, Tesla and non-Tesla chargers. Parker has a few as well.

hallett21

Reaction score
Absolutely you can do that if you had to. I keep the mobile charger in the trunk with the adapters. But only if something went terrible wrong with my plans. I think a hundred bucks is on the steep side tho..

The Days Inn in Havasu has 2 Tesla chargers, free for guests and $25 for non guests to use. There's an app called Plugshare, it tells you where all the chargers are in the area, Tesla and non-Tesla chargers. Parker has a few as well.
I mean the guys off of 395 charging to put chains on are steep too lol. But I see people lined up every snow storm.

If I owned a Tesla I would just leave those adapters in the car at all times. Especially on a road trip.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I realize I'm replying to my own post, but it's an post son-visit and first EV ride update.

Son calls on his way down to SD from Ventura, decided to pull in at Carlsbad, grab a snack and boost his batts at the Tesla S-chargers there --- yes, he suffers some from range anxiety on longer trips. I know I would.

Gets to my house, we go to hook him up to my 240V/50A/ RV receptacle and after not finding his adaptor, remembers he loaned it to a customer the other day. 🙃 Good thing he decided to stop on the way 👍

This was my first time riding in any Tesla or EV besides my golf cart, a real EV virgin.

I must say, it really surprised me how much enjoyed his Tesla Model 3 single motor, I was seriously impressed.
The seats were far more comfortable than I'd imagined, the ride was great and I was amazed how quiet it was as I figured without the normal engine and other noises the road and tire noise might be irritating, not one bit. We didn't turn the audio on, so no music in the background either.

Perhaps my only minor gripes were how low the seats felt when I was getting in --- or more like dropping my aging ass down into the seat.
My only other minor issue was the tech. I didn't like the idea of seemingly every function of the car being controlled from the touch display screen. I find that way to distracting, hell, just to open the glove box requires dicking around on the screen.
Son claims you can give the car instructions to perform functions, but the only conversation I've had with my Raptor is to tell that bitch in my Nav to F-off when she gets all bitchy and insistent I turn when I don't want to.

Since my wife never got to ride in it, her and I stopped at the Ford dealer and we test drove a new Mustang Mach E-GT.
I liked it better, seats were comfy as hell, but easier for me to get in and out of due to being higher. A lot of basic functions are still far more analog with conventional mechanical controls and hot-damn, it hauls ass very nicely.
Wife liked it as a potential to replace her Audi SQ-5 that essentially only gets driven around town, which seems perfect for EVs.
I could never see us going to Havasu in one.

This for me makes the case for the Plug-in Hybrids. Electric for my wife's work and market trips, and gas for the longer trips.
Problem seems to be their absolute dogs compared to these EV and I really enjoyed the acceleration of that GT.

The way I look at the Mustang Mach E is, it's mostly for those who want an EV and really don't want a Tesla. Why do I say that? Because you're giving up the entire Tesla Supercharger network to have the Ford, and that's a huge loss... The Supercharger network is massive and it really expands where you can go and how much easier it would be. Tesla had a huge head start on this and is expanding as fast as they can. Tesla's can charge everywhere the ford can but not vice versa. The Mustangs are made in Mexico while Tesla's are very American, more than any other car brand in North America. You mentioned you really enjoyed the acceleration of the GT, remember, your son has the base line, single motor model 3, a dual motor Tesla is much quicker and a Performance version is 3.1 0-60 which beats the Mustang Mach E Performance version. just wanted to compare apples to apples. Very cool you got to experience your sons car. My Dad was surprised by how much he likes mine, he absolutely loves all the tech in the car, he really wants his wife to get a Model S, but she loves her Subaru too much, lol.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

The car got to 80% charge from 15% on the $25 dollar 4 hour charge at Days Inn. The Uber rides back and forth from the hotel were $45.

They had to stop twice to get back to OC the next day after picking up the car.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The Tesla won’t be back. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
[/QUOTE]
My friend brought out his model Y for the weekend to launch his boat. 2 of us said take your Raptor, it is not going to work well.

He drives out, and it takes an extra hour and a half in total. Charges up to 80% in Needles. Picks up his boat there. He’s down under 10 miles range when he gets to his place towing his boat from Needles to Havasu and can’t understand why it used so much power. 🤪

Plugs it into 110 at midnight last night to charge and realizes he lost a seat cushion on the tow out. He’s obviously stuck and can’t go looking for it. Car has like 40 miles of range this morning so he asks around who will loan him an ICE vehicle to go look for his lost cushion this morning.

He’s not really sure yet how he is going to get home either after the revelation that towing sucks with an EV. The car will be dead every day from launching the boat and only charging in 110.

We all have "that friend" that we have to bail out.

The one that cant do math, does no homework, and uses the wrong tool for the job despite surrounding himself with capable experienced friends.

Sadly, the car takes the heat for him being totally inept.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Honestly he was just trying to do what the car told him was possible. As @DWC pointed out, range estimates are highly inaccurate, even while on the road. And with an immature fabric of chargers on the road, you don’t know what you are going to get when you need to charge.

I can stop at any gas station and know what I’m getting in just a couple minutes.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Honestly he was just trying to do what the car told him was possible. As @DWC pointed out, range estimates are highly inaccurate, even while on the road. And with an immature fabric of chargers on the road, you don’t know what you are going to get when you need to charge.

I can stop at any gas station and know what I’m getting in just a couple minutes.

Ive no doubt that's his excuse for ineptitude. Your friend could not have done a single bit of investigation on this or he would have known.

Towing is an entirely different matter. Range estimates in everything are off when towing.

Dont conflate mere traveling with towing. As far as trips are concerned, these things are so easy to travel with now your grandparents can do it.

Last edited:

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score

Yore relentless, as always.... So you're going off of DWC's opinion about how he likes his car but doesn't like the range info, he says it should be more accurate in regards to elevation changes, temp, speed, load etc... (or something like that) BTW, I have ZERO issues with it.. I drive with the energy screen up on long road trips and it tells you your consumption real time and it's very accurate. It tells you if you're gonna make it or not and what you have to do to make it to your destination. What more do you want out of a vehicle? lol It's still not good enough for you?

You know I like you LOF, but I have to say, you really don't know very much about Tesla vehicles, at all. Yet yore the guy posting about them 24/7, you're just so desperate to prove your point that they are junk.. I can only speak from my personal experience with mine over the last 3 years.

All your friend needs to do is have a wall connector (220v) at his place in Havasu.... That's it. It would solve all of his problems, yet you guys run around town, looking for chargers, call a guy with an F250, then call an Uber, your story is just so over top dramatic. Get a 220 charger at the Havasu house already. And by the way, a Tesla can easily tow a 23' Commander from Needles to Havasu, it's only 43 miles for god sake...

Now comes your reply.... I can hardly wait..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Ive no doubt that's his excuse for ineptitude. Your friend could not have done a single bit of investigation on this or he would have known.

Towing is an entirely different matter. Range estimates in everything are off when towing.

Dont conflate mere traveling with towing. As far as trips are concerned, these things are so easy to travel with now your grandparents can do it.

I agree the towing was an unknown hurdle. The thing is he did do some research on towing but only accepted the information that was best case scenario.

We had a conversation with him before this was attempted, and said… “Take your Raptor”. We knew the towing part would kill his range 3x from the reviews we have seen of the Rivian and Lightning towing a car. He just didn’t accept that it would be that bad.

To the cars credit, it launched and retrieved the boat very well. It actually towed the boat fine.

I’m just stating that everyone that road trips with a Tesla seems to have a plan until they get range punched in the face on the road when stuff happens.

The man could not even go back and look for his lost cushion. Luckily someone picked it up for him and he met up with them in town on Sunday.

As I have said, I’d be in if I could get one that would do the 300 miles to Havasu at 80 in the summer without stopping for under $50k. It would launch the boat just fine.

Yes @Dan Lorenze that what it is. The cars are perfect and the owners of them are all just stupid for actually trying to drive them outside of the Tesla charging network 😂.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I agree the towing was an unknown hurdle. The thing is he did do some research on towing but only accepted the information that was best case scenario.

We had a conversation with him before this was attempted, and said… “Take your Raptor”. We knew the towing part would screw him.

The the cars credit, it launched and retrieved the boat very well. It actually towed the boat fine.

I’m just stating that everyone that road trips with a Tesla seems to have a plan until they get range punched in the face on the road when stuff happens.

The man could not even go back and look for his lost cushion. Luckily someone picked it up for him and he met up with them in town on Sunday.

Yes @Dan Lorenze that what it is. The cars are perfect and the owners of them are all just stupid for actually trying to drive them outside of the Tesla charging network 😂.

From the garage to the ramp its hard to beat.

His friends didnt let him down, nor did the car. He blew it twice, the tow range, and planning for any recovery time from his trip.

I dont think I'd let my sister date this guy. It's just not that hard to figure out.

110V AC is like drip irrigating a swimming pool to fill it.
Sure you can do it over the course of a weekend, but if you want any actual range you need a 50 amp connector.

I think saying " everyone" that road trips has trouble is misleading. Karens, soccer moms, and grandparent can do it.
Guys with no experience that dont bother to understand the math behind their car, do no homework, and dont listen to people around them have problems.

The cars are far from perfect , but they are totally usable.
The choice remains the same, do you want to add some time to a road trip when you take it, or skip going to the gas station 52+ times in a year?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
From the garage to the ramp its hard to beat.

His friends didnt let him down, nor did the car. He blew it twice, the tow range, and planning for any recovery time from his trip.

I dont think I'd let my sister date this guy. It's just not that hard to figure out.

110V AC is like drip irrigating a swimming pool to fill it.
Sure you can do it over the course of a weekend, but if you want any actual range you need a 50 amp connector.

I think saying " everyone" that road trips has trouble is misleading. Karens, soccer moms, and grandparent can do it.
Guys with no experience that dont bother to understand the math behind their car, do no homework, and dont listen to people around them have problems.

The cars are far from perfect , but they are totally usable.
The choice remains the same, do you want to add some time to a road trip when you take it, or skip going to the gas station 52+ times in a year?

I agree. If you have a house and a charger at your destination, you are golden. He does not have a house in Havasu, and does have a fast charger there.

But this guy tacked on 3-5 months of “gas station time” in just 3 days. Which has always been my point.

He gave the same excuse… “Don’t you have to stop and pee?”

I said.. not for 90 minutes on a 300 mile trip to Havasu, and not for 45 minutes on the way back. And nature does not always call at the Barstow, or Needles charging stations.

Anyone is free to buy what they want. But this was a story of the realities when trying to road trip an electric car. Nothing more, nothing less. If all you did was go to Vegas, where there are chargers every 30 mins on the road, you’d be fine.

Last edited:

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
On the highways it’s more about drag than weight…until you get to a hill.

Have fun explaining that to him 😂
What always gets me with these types, is why do they think there's such a thing as a heavy-duty truck? Why not pull everything with a SmartCar?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I agree. If you have a house and a charger at your destination, you are golden. He does not have a house in Havasu, and does have a fast charger there.

But this guy tacked on 3-5 months of “gas station time” in just 3 days. Which has always been my point.

He gave the same excuse… “Don’t you have to stop and pee?”

I said.. not for 90 minutes on a 300 mile trip to Havasu, and not for 45 minutes on the way back. And nature does not always call at the Barstow, or Needles charging stations.

Anyone is free to buy what they want. But this was a story of the realities when trying to road trip an electric car. Nothing more, nothing less. If all you did was go to Vegas, where there are chargers every 30 mins on the road, you’d be fine.

Curious - What was his beginning city ?

Deckin Around

Reaction score
42% of Ca Electricity still comes from burning natural gas so the "electric vehicle" idea isn't there yet. It's about the infrastructure as well IMO. Those charging stations should be run off their own renewable energy source to make any sort of environmental benefit claim.

• In 2020, California was the second-largest total energy consumer among the states, but its per capita energy consumption was less than in all but three other states.
  • In 2022, renewable resources, including hydroelectric power and small-scale, customer-sited solar power, accounted for 49% of California's in-state electricity generation. Natural gas fueled another 42%. Nuclear power supplied almost all the rest.
  • In 2022, California was the fourth-largest electricity producer in the nation. The state was also the nation’s third-largest electricity consumer, and additional needed electricity supplies came from out-of-state generators.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
I’m surprised terribles off of 40/95 hasn’t added a few EV chargers. It wouldn’t be a huge deal to add 3-4. Charge 25 cents a KW. The extra soda and beer sales would pay back pretty fast.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Lake Forest

So he went from lake forest and charged at Barstow - then he went to needles and brought to back to 80%, but it took almost all that just to get from Needles to Havasu?

Not sure where in Havasu he was going but somethings not adding up.

The run from Barstow to Needles is 169 miles with 6300 ft of climbing,

The run from The Wagon wheel restaurant to the Heat hotel is 43 miles and has 2500 feet of climb.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So he went from lake forest and charged at Barstow - then he went to needles and brought to back to 80%, but it took almost all that just to get from Needles to Havasu?

Not sure where in Havasu he was going but somethings not adding up.

The run from Barstow to Needles is 169 miles with 6300 ft of climbing,

The run from The Wagon wheel restaurant to the Heat hotel is 43 miles and has 2500 feet of climb.

Towing from Needles to Havasu screwed him. 110V charging and daily boat launch duties kept him from recovering any range.

A 4 hour charge on Sunday at the Days Inn got him enough juice to get home Monday charging in Needles and Barstow.

A friend with a truck took his boat back to Needles, or it would have taken him 8+ hours to get home.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
We have friends who bought a new Y late last year. They were already seeing reduced range due to battery degradation. They called the support line and after getting the runaround the Tesla rep finally said, “well we see here that you used superchargers a few times and that results in reduced battery capacity.” They just sold it.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
You forgot the trailer which makes a HUGE difference.

I missed that he picked up the boat in needles. I thought he towed the whole way.

Thats was the only way I can see adding an hour and a half to the trip, because it only requires a half hour of charging normally.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
I would have thought you were safe between needles and havasu even with 110. Clearly not the case lol.