WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Another Dreaded F150 Question

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
And now you're gonna talk about speed, in the same sentence as the word truck? As if bringing up HP wasn't bad enough??

Put the shovel down bro, or you'll Never be able to climb outa that hole your digging for yourself! šŸ˜‚

The problem with HP in all these new baby trucks is that it doesn't have Anything to do with torque...

If you want a truck for a daily driver, that you'll only use occasionally as a real truck, a minimal displacement half ton is just fine for that.

If you want a truck that will be doing the real work of towing in any kind of weather or up any serious hills, there is no replacement for displacement (torque}.

Seems to me the OP would be fine with a half ton for what he has laid out as his current usage of it.

He's stated he's already owned a real truck, so clearly he knows the difference between the two trucks.

What's he struggling with is if the 2.7 will cut it, and nobody seems to have any real world experience with that?

Looking at the specs for it though, it seems to me it would work for him quite nicely.

@Ballsdeep

Horsepower.....

What is Horsepower?

It's a math equation!

So what is the math?

Horsepower = Torque x RPM / 5,252

So HP does in fact have something to do with torque !

know.gif

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
600 to the wheels? What the fuck do you have done to that thing. Thatā€™s like what 675-700 at the crank.
Tune, injectors, intercooler, methanol injection. Ect

Pushing 27 lbs of boost. Turbos weā€™re inefficient at 25-27 lbs

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Correct! You finally got something right! šŸ˜‚

Did you notice in the equation, HP is calculated FROM the torque rating?

Also...

Did you notice it's a Function of RPM??

This is why diesel engines typically don't have high HP ratings (they don't spin a whole lot of RPM). Yet, they typically put out massive amounts of torque.

Torque is a measurement. HP is a calculation.

Yep. The more you know...

šŸ˜‰

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Also...

This is why diesel engines typically don't have high HP ratings (they don't spin a whole lot of RPM). Yet, they typically put out massive amounts of torque.

šŸ˜‰
The one thing you are missing, is that you need gears to use that torque effectively since your pretty limited with RPM range with the 7.3

I haven't seen a 4 speed Semi truck lately......

Probably why you added a GV unit to split gears on that ole coal roller eh? :p

They can't make MASSIVE amounts of torque without making some horsepower. That's why you see torque numbers of 1000ftlb accompanied of HP in the 400+ range for most diesels, unless they are massive displacement (im talking way bigger than 7.3...)

So you couple a newer Gasser that makes 350+ HP with a table top torque curve, with a newer 10 speed trans, and it's a runner.

How long will it run up a hill for ? THATS THE QUESTION. To me its a "tortoise and the hair" equation that plays out on a long grade on a hot summers day......

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The one thing you are missing, is that you need gears to use that torque effectively since your pretty limited with RPM range with the 7.3

I haven't seen a 4 speed Semi truck lately......

Probably why you added a GV unit to split gears on that ole coal roller eh? :p

They can't make MASSIVE amounts of torque without making some horsepower. That's why you see torque numbers of 1000ftlb accompanied of HP in the 400+ range for most diesels, unless they are massive displacement (im talking way bigger than 7.3...)

So you couple a newer Gasser that makes 350+ HP with a table top torque curve, with a newer 10 speed trans, and it's a runner.

How long will it run up a hill for ? THATS THE QUESTION. To me its a "tortoise and the hair" equation that plays out on a long grade on a hot summers day......

I'm not missing anything...

And you're finally starting to make sense.

šŸ‘šŸ¼šŸ˜

spectras only

Reaction score

Also...

šŸ˜‰

Just install two of these on your 7.3 and you won't need to change gearing.
These are what my friend use for his PSD applications. GTX5533R GEN II Turbocharger 85MM
Horsepower: 1000 - 1760 Displacement: 3.0L - 12.0L

Attachments

• 20211111_150800.jpg
    20211111_150800.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Do any of the new half ton trucks use hydro boost? Or are they just vacuum actuated?
Dunno, but vacuum works just fineā€¦either can be setup to provide whatever assist is necessaryā€¦hydro-boost just do it in a smaller package. A lot of new stuff uses electric actuatorsā€¦.and your foot is stepping on a ā€œpedal feel simulatorā€.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Thanks guys this thread has officially gone off the rails!!

Not the same model but Iā€™ve done the same with my 2019 Chevy 1500 and itā€™s a non-issue. I would do it and not think twice about it. Itā€™s just from storage to a launch ramp.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
thanks Nostradamus.

When is it no longer a risk? When you are towing a jet ski with an F450?

You are just as much of a risk towing 15000 lbs with an F250 as you are towing 5000 with an F150. You need to drive alert and carefully when towing in any situation is my point. There is risk in everything.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Dunno, but vacuum works just fineā€¦either can be setup to provide whatever assist is necessaryā€¦hydro-boost just do it in a smaller package. A lot of new stuff uses electric actuatorsā€¦.and your foot is stepping on a ā€œpedal feel simulatorā€.

Hydro boost puts out roughly double the pressure of vacuum assist systems, as well as being more compact.

No boost is around 800psi

Vacuum boost is around 1200psi

Hydro boost is around 2500psi+

And of course the electronic boost like ABS sells, and that is also on some factory installs these days? I think those put about 2000psi of line pressure.

Stopping is equally important as accelerating. Especially with a heavy load. Yes?

I've never seen a half ton truck with a hydro boost system. Other than the ones I've personally installed.

Maybe someday? You would think with the tow capacity's the new half tons are advertising, they would do something other than slap on some bigger rotors to stop those big loads.

Caveat Emptor.

Early Bronco with hydro boost I built. This thing would put you through the windshield with 35's on it.

20190805_185048.jpg

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Hydro boost puts out roughly double the pressure of vacuum assist systems, as well as being more compact.

No boost is around 800psi

Vacuum boost is around 1200psi

Hydro boost is around 2500psi+

And of course the electronic boost like ABS sells, and that is also on some factory installs these days? I think those put about 2000psi of line pressure.

Stopping is equally important as accelerating. Especially with a heavy load. Yes?

I've never seen a half ton truck with a hydro boost system. Other than the ones I've personally installed.

Maybe someday? You would think with the tow capacity's the new half tons are advertising, they would do something other than slap on some bigger rotors to stop those big loads.

Caveat Emptor.

Early Bronco with hydro boost I built. This thing would put you through the windshield with 35's on it.

View attachment 1070748
I've seen north of 3000psi on a vacuum booster....when you venture past chinese hotrod parts and use math to design the brake system...anything is possible ;)

Runs2rch

Reaction score
My Snowbird said the same thing when I was looking at getting mine.

You used to not be able to get the Max Tow package with the 5.0, so it was actually more expensive by like $1500 to get a 5.0 and option it out with the same stuff you get in the 3.5 with the Max Tow package. Now you can get it with the 5.0 as well.

So far so good for my 3.5, mostly. It is getting new cam phasers Wed as part of the recall on them. Been fine other than that for 55k miles.
Are you having cold start rattle? Or just doing it because of the recall?

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
I have heard the comments about turbos since these engines first came out. What are the issues? I have 171K miles and zero problems with the turbos.
No issues that I know of but I'm not very familiar with these turbo engines. I've had a 6.0 and 7.3 both had what I consider typical turbo maintenance for a diesel. Overall my maintenance bill was much higher with the diesels vs my last two 5.0 F150s. I'd have to say 5.0 for the win in my book on running costs, power and towability. Especially when mated up with the 10 speed.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I've seen north of 3000psi on a vacuum booster....when you venture past chinese hotrod parts and use math to design the brake system...anything is possible ;)

The towing police will tell you everything has marched forward in every aspect of our lives, except 1/2 ton truck building technology. That has been static for 2 decades with no improvements of any kind.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Are you having cold start rattle? Or just doing it because of the recall?

Iā€™m getting it occasionally. I started it for the first time in 48 hours just a few minutes ago, no rattle. I took a video after letting it sit for a week as evidence.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Test benches don't count in real life. šŸ˜

riverroyal

Reaction score
When is it no longer a risk? When you are towing a jet ski with an F450?

You are just as much of a risk towing 15000 lbs with an F250 as you are towing 5000 with an F150. You need to drive alert and carefully when towing in any situation is my point. There is risk in everything.
I dunno. But if you tow a lot then go big. I dont have the LOF statistics on towing vs weight crashes.
Ive towed my entire life, theres no comparing a F350 to a F150.
Under 5000lbs a 150 is fine.
Under 15000lbs a 350 is fine? I dont know.
Might as well tow 5000lbs with a tesla suv, its rated

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
No those torques aren't aged enough. They need to be 20+ years old for the horse torques to properly flow to the rear wheels.

View attachment 1070558

You don't tow with light vehicles. It doesn't matter how big your brake are, or how many gears you have or how many 10s of thousands of rpms you can ring your ecoboom out to....

Massive brakes don't mean shit if your truck isn't heavy enough to keep the tires on the ground when your boat/trailer that ways twice as much as your truck is trying to push it through an intersection or down the grade at flank speed.

Fun fact:
19 out of every 20 boats I work on that comes with a trailer under it has brakes that don't work.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You don't tow with light vehicles. It doesn't matter how big your brake are, or how many gears you have or how many 10s of thousands of rpms you can ring your ecoboom out to....

Massive brakes don't mean shit if your truck isn't heavy enough to keep the tires on the ground when your boat/trailer that ways twice as much as your truck is trying to push it through an intersection or down the grade at flank speed.

Fun fact:
19 out of every 20 boats I work on that comes with a trailer under it has brakes that don't work.

We are taking about towing 7000 pounds here. Where did I say to go ktow 15000 lbs with a half ton?

To your point, the brakes donā€™t do shit and the steering does not control shit if the chassis of the truck twists like a pretzel.

Just because your customers donā€™t maintain their shit does not have anything to do with me maintaining mine.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Test benches don't count in real life. šŸ˜
Datsun Z-car with a sensitized booster, vacuum pump, and vacuum reservoir. I could see 1200-1400psi with no vacuum if I put some effort into it.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Iā€™m getting it occasionally. I started it for the first time in 48 hours just a few minutes ago, no rattle. I took a video after letting it sit for a week as evidence.
What oil do you run and what change interval?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

Fun fact:
Ecoboost donā€™t need to rev to make power like a n/a car does. Because your limited knowledge of these motors I will say most likely you donā€™t know what your talking about

attitude

Reaction score
I wonder how many ecoboost owners dislike outboards because they donā€™t have the ā€œV8 soundā€ lol

Taboma

Reaction score
The raptors sound horrible. The turbo F150s are all pretty quiet.

The V8 GM truck and the 5.0 F150s sound good and are louder.

Have you heard a new Raptor with the variable exhaust settings ? I've heard they're damned loud in Baja mode, but I'm not sure loud improves the sound or makes a bad sound louder. šŸ¤£ For the record, I don't think my Raptor sounds horrible at all, I just find it extremely annoying. šŸ¤£
Still sounds better than a V-10 Viper šŸ¤®