WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Another HVAC Question

rightytighty

Reaction score
I'm going to change my roof mount packaged A/C system in next few weeks.

Guy just out and quoted me on new 5-ton, 16 seer AC. 2 stage (because I want to have 2-zones). New stand, new elbow and new ductowork (R-8) and thermostats.

My real question is he is quoting a Coleman Unit with 10 years parts/labor warranty. I'm really wondering about Coleman brand.... Is that any good?

We're in the 20K neighborhood so I wanna do my homework.

Thanks in advance.

Tinkerer

Reaction score
Get some more quotes. Nothing comes with a 10 year LABOR warranty - You are paying for it up front.
I would go with more of a name brand and Coleman isn't one of them.

rlamoreaux

FreeStyle
Reaction score
Im not an HVAC guy but I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I bought 2 - 3.5 ton 16 seer Goodman package units on the internet, had them delivered and I paid to have a licensed tech install. Saved bunches of money, no sales tax. It's been 3 years now and going strong. I also replaced all lights with LED's and blew Home Depot pink in the attic. My power bill went from $225 monthly to $159

rightytighty

Reaction score
Get some more quotes. Nothing comes with a 10 year LABOR warranty - You are paying for it up front.
Definitely getting Additional bids and I understand no free lunches (I’m paying for warranty one way or another). I’d really like to never have to use the warranty because these things only break when it’s 110, and that’s when you need it most.

Coleman brand name has me thinking about my old rusty metal cooler. Probably not ideal for marketing...

rightytighty

Reaction score
Im not an HVAC guy but I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I bought 2 - 3.5 ton 16 seer Goodman package units on the internet, had them delivered and I paid to have a licensed tech install. Saved bunches of money, no sales tax. It's been 3 years now and going strong. I also replaced all lights with LED's and blew Home Depot pink in the attic. My power bill went from $225 monthly to $159
I’m n the $500/month club May -October. It sucks. I’m adding insulation as well.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Coleman is owned and produced by Johnson Controls who owns several companies. York, Coleman, and Luxaire are all made by Johnson controls. They all come off the same assembly line persay. Coleman just gets a different paint color than the others.

Read the fine print of the warranty. Typically it requires certain maintenance schedules be done by a licensed contractor and such.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

Not true.....All of our installs come with a 10 year labor warranty through us. We don’t sell any product line that doesn’t have at least a 10 year parts warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to change my roof mount packaged A/C system in next few weeks.

Guy just out and quoted me on new 5-ton, 16 seer AC. 2 stage (because I want to have 2-zones). New stand, new elbow and new ductowork (R-8) and thermostats.

My real question is he is quoting a Coleman Unit with 10 years parts/labor warranty. I'm really wondering about Coleman brand.... Is that any good?

We're in the 20K neighborhood so I wanna do my homework.

Thanks in advance.

20k is on the high side for what you posted regardless of brand name.

Tinkerer

Reaction score
Not true.....All of our installs come with a 10 year labor warranty through us. We don’t seek any product line that doesn’t have at least a 10 year parts warranty.

So you supply the 10 year labor warranty at no additional cost to your customers. That is B's and you know it. The cost of the warranty is built into the cost of the job.
Like I said the customer pays for the warranty up front in the cost of the job.
10 year parts warranty just about everyone has these days.
I am not a fan of Coleman.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
So you supply the 10 year labor warranty at no additional cost to your customers. That is B's and you know it. The cost of the warranty is built into the cost of the job.

Wrong sir......Maybe the way YOU run your business you might front load your warranties and make your customers pay for short comings in the installation, But don’t assume I operate like you do and don’t put my ethics on blast based on what you assume you know. [emoji6]

We believe and stand behind it (putting our money where our mouth is) that if a new system is installed PROPERLY that there should be no break downs or failures in the first 10 years. If there is a mechanical failure or more importantly an installation failure do you think it’s right that the customer be charged for an installation failure where the installing contractor cut corners on the initial install?? If I sell a product it’s my reputation on the line and I will stand behind it as well.

A couple years ago there was an issue with txv failures and some rust inhibiting additive in Copeland compressors. We had over 100 systems that had this issue. We were reimbursed by the distributor/manufacturer for this and our customers never had to pay a penny to get their systems repaired.

So...yes there are 10 year labor warranties Although we were probably the first to do it. I’m seeing more and more contractors follow suit and offer the same.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Coleman is owned and produced by Johnson Controls who owns several companies. York, Coleman, and Luxaire are all made by Johnson controls. They all come off the same assembly line persay. Coleman just gets a different paint color than the others.

Read the fine print of the warranty. Typically it requires certain maintenance schedules be done by a licensed contractor and such.

That’s the dirty little secret most wont tell...it’s all the same shit just a different sticker depending on which distributor you’re buying it from. There are some minor differences between brands. Some are quieter, some are built stronger, some are built to be cheaper etc.... but At the end of the day. You’re pretty much buying the same compressors, motors and controls wrapped in different packaging. There are different levels of product (low end, builder grade, consumer grade, etc...) but very little difference between brands within those classifications.

I will have to find the photos I have but the most blatant is the “lennox” that comes with a pack of stickers so you can install the sticker of the “brand” you sold the customer. [emoji23][emoji23]

Tinkerer

Reaction score
Wrong sir......Maybe the way YOU run your business you might front load your warranties and make your customers pay for short comings in the installation, But don’t assume I operate like you do and don’t put my ethics on blast based on what you assume you know. [emoji6]

We believe and stand behind it (putting our money where our mouth is) that if a new system is installed PROPERLY that there should be no break downs or failures in the first 10 years. If there is a mechanical failure or more importantly an installation failure do you think it’s right that the customer be charged for an installation failure where the installing contractor cut corners on the initial install?? If I sell a product it’s my reputation on the line and I will stand behind it as well.

A couple years ago there was an issue with txv failures and some rust inhibiting additive in Copeland compressors. We had over 100 systems that had this issue. We were reimbursed by the distributor/manufacturer for this and our customers never had to pay a penny to get their systems repaired.

So...yes there are 10 year labor warranties Although we were probably the first to do it. I’m seeing more and more contractors follow suit and offer the same.

Good sales pitch.
BUT. It IS part of the cost of the job just as screws and wire nuts are.
That 10 year labor warranty that you provide is just another cost that is built into every job. And if you say otherwise than you don't know how a job costing is done.
There is NO free 10 year labor warranty.
AND you don't know who I am either OR how I run my business or the quality of my workmanship.
I have been in the HVAC business since 1972...
So you can't BS me.

Tinkerer

Reaction score
Oh and the additive was supplied and the labor paid for by Copeland through the equipment manufacturer.
By the way I probable did about 200+ over the last 4 years and still run into one or two per month in the summer.
SO get off your high horse your not the only quality HVAC company in the USA.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Good sales pitch.
BUT. It IS part of the cost of the job just as screws and wire nuts are.
That 10 year labor warranty that you provide is just another cost that is built into every job. And if you say otherwise than you don't know how a job costing is done.
There is NO free 10 year labor warranty.
AND you don't know who I am either OR how I run my business or the quality of my workmanship.
I have been in the HVAC business since 1972...
So you can't BS me.

I know plenty of people that have been doing it wrong for years, so time in the trade means very little to me in regards to credibility [emoji6] too often people are so stuck in their ways they never evolve with the industry. Time served doesn’t equate to being right.

There is NO charge for our labor warranty and it’s not loaded in as a “cost” that the customer pays for. Therefore your reference to materials used and job costing is inaccurate. I would even go as far to say that you would be hard pressed to find ANY company that tracks costs better than we do.

let me clarify this so maybe you can understand. .......IF WE INSTALL A SYSTEM AND WE SEE A FAILURE INSIDE OF WARRANTY.....WE COVER THE WARRANTY 100% AS A LOSS TO US. this motivates us to make sure we do everything correct and keep focused on turning out a quality product making sure to not cut anything out that will show up and cause a loss to us down the road.

Not sure why this strikes such a cord with you? The way we run our business has zero affect on you.

Not sure what your hard on is for trying to put my integrity ethics and knowledge in question. But I can assure you’re fishing in the wrong hole on this one. [emoji6]

Tinkerer

Reaction score
I know plenty of people that have been doing it wrong for years, so time in the trade means very little to me in regards to credibility [emoji6] too often people are so stuck in their ways they never evolve with the industry. Time served doesn’t equate to being right.

There is NO charge for our labor warranty and it’s not loaded in as a “cost” that the customer pays for. Therefore your reference to materials used and job costing is inaccurate. I would even go as far to say that you would be hard pressed to find ANY company that tracks costs better than we do.

let me clarify this so maybe you can understand. .......IF WE INSTALL A SYSTEM AND WE SEE A FAILURE INSIDE OF WARRANTY.....WE COVER THE WARRANTY 100% AS A LOSS TO US. this motivates us to make sure we do everything correct and keep focused on turning out a quality product making sure to not cut anything out that will show up and cause a loss to us down the road.

Not sure why this strikes such a cord with you? The way we run our business has zero affect on you.

Not sure what your hard on is for trying to put my integrity ethics and knowledge in question. But I can assure you’re fishing in the wrong hole on this one. [emoji6]

Yeah right

GOOD SALES PITCH

I don't care what you say it is part of the job cost.

Tinkerer

Reaction score

I didn't start it YOU DID.
So you might want to reread what YOU wrote.

All I said was that there wasn't any free 10 year labor warranty that it was part of the job costing.

And YOU jumped all over me.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah right

GOOD SALES PITCH

I don't care what you say it is part of the job cost.

I get that you are just too dense to accept you made a false statement and someone posted something different to what you thought was accurate....Now you’re pride is hurt and you’re trying to recover stating what you believe are “facts”

if it is in fact a “sales pitch” like you say. Who exactly am I selling to??

1)The original poster?=He’s a little outside of my area[emoji6]

2)You? = i guess if you want it done correctly and to today’s standards, you could hire me ( a lot has changed in 46 years and you seem pretty stuck in your ways) but you’re also outside of my area.

3) Rdp members?= I have been a contributing member of these boards for a long time, I have helped many members in and outside of my area and received nothing financially in return nor wanted anything. Those that I have worked for know first hand how ethically we run our operation. So nothing you are going to say unless it was truly factual would sway that, you posted “opinions” carry no weight.

I can’t even think of an angle where I’m trying to Sell someone on something. Even though you’re convinced it’s a “sales pitch” or “BS”, But you can’t back up your claims.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

Not true.....All of our installs come with a 10 year labor warranty through us. We don’t seek any product line that doesn’t have at least a 10 year parts warranty.

I didn't start it YOU DID.
So you might want to reread what YOU wrote.

All I said was that there wasn't any free 10 year labor warranty that it was part of the job costing.

And YOU jumped all over me.

Reading comprehension obviously is NOT your strong point. These are the EXACT quotes of what was posted, In order. So read again and who jumped on who? I made a statement and you started in with the that’s “BS”? Might want to go back and re read the post [emoji23][emoji23]

SoCalDave

Reaction score
bowl-of-popcorn.jpg

Tinkerer

Reaction score
Reading comprehension obviously is NOT your strong point. These are the EXACT quotes of what was posted, In order. So read again and who jumped on who? I made a statement and you started in with the that’s “BS”? Might want to go back and re read the post [emoji23][emoji23]

Yeah right
Job costing is not your strong point either.
In my original post I said that the 10 year labor warranty wasn't free and that the cost of it was built into the job cost.

THEN YOU JUMPED ON ME about how superior your company was and how it was free to all of your customers.

Then you told me that my years of experience didn't mean anything because I was set in my ways.

I will let you know that I am VERY technical and am up on most of the new tech.

Do you build your own 600 cube 800 HP engines or do you pay someone else to do it for you.

So who has the reading comprehension problem ???

What position do you hold at your company.
I am done here.
I have said my piece.
Take it or leave it.
Haters like to hate.

Tinkerer

Reaction score
Just to stir the pot, we gave all our customers lifetime workmanship warranty....
Do your job correctly and you will never have to honor the warranty just sayin lol
I give lifetime workmanship on everything I install and service also. But I admit that the cost of said warranty is built into every service I perform.
It is called overhead.
What is so hard to understand about JOB COSTING ???

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Just to stir the pot, we gave all our customers lifetime workmanship warranty....
Do your job correctly and you will never have to honor the warranty just sayin lol

Exactly in the 46 years @Tinkerer has been a god to the industry he must have never learned this tidbit. [emoji6]

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I give lifetime workmanship on everything I install and service also. But I admit that the cost of said warranty is built into every service I perform.
It is called overhead.
What is so hard to understand about JOB COSTING ???

The way you say that it sounds like you charge extra to do the job correctly.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah right
Job costing is not your strong point either.
In my original post I said that the 10 year labor warranty wasn't free and that the cost of it was built into the job cost.

THEN YOU JUMPED ON ME about how superior your company was and how it was free to all of your customers.

Then you told me that my years of experience didn't mean anything because I was set in my ways.

I will let you know that I am VERY technical and am up on most of the new tech.

Do you build your own 600 cube 800 HP engines or do you pay someone else to do it for you.

So who has the reading comprehension problem ???

What position do you hold at your company.
I am done here.
I have said my piece.
Take it or leave it.
Haters like to hate.

*You made an incorrect statement showing your lack of knowledge in regards to 10 year labor warranties. I responded correcting you that 10 year labor warranties are provided at no additional cost to the customer.

*in your opinion this wasn’t true and was “BS”. I responded explaining how it isn’t BS.

*you threw a fit because there’s no way you can be wrong and you thought you knew how we operate. You have been doing this since 1972 how dare you be questioned.I once again explained you were incorrect. And there are plenty of people out there who have been in the trade that are doing it wrong. So time alone doesn’t constitute “expertise”

*you can’t handle being wrong, so you continued with the ASSumptions you know all and everyone else is dumb. Once again I explained to you that just because YOU do something a certain way doesn’t mean everyone else does.

*you can’t accept that people think and operate differently than you have for 40+ years, So you decide that attacking their integrity and ethics is a good Play. I realize you’re a douchebag and now will
Fuck with you because you can’t stand being wrong even though everyone else reading this thread can see it, you can’t.

*you continue going down this rabbit hole chasing something that isn’t true, even though you think you’re right. I know you’re wrong as you have no clue as to how we operate, there for me you have no idea how detailed our costing is. [emoji23]

Now to answer your questions....

- I have built my own motors in the past. Do I need to now?- No, I would rather spend my time enjoying my toys and have my motor builder do what he does best. Not something I enjoy doing and I have the funds to pay someone else to do it. This has absolutely zero bearing on the topic at hand.

-my position= Vice President. Owner. Guy that’s better than you. At discussing things and separating opinion from fact [emoji23][emoji23]

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I shit you not, when I was starting in the trade out of high school a bit over 10 years ago I had several old timers tell me "don't worry so much about the ductwork. It's air, it'll get where it needs to go." Since then, I'm with Riverbound on this, length in the industry does not preclude correct systems and installation knowledge by itself.

rightytighty

Reaction score
Damm... Sorry this turned ugly.

RB: I appreciate all of your posts over many years of mostly lurking. Thanks for always trying.

T'erer: I read all of the posts and it's pretty clear to me that everybody is right in what they said, but for some reason it ends up in a grind (typical for RDP). Arguing about semantics.

T'erer: There's nothing free in this world. RB: We don't charge extra for goodies.
I think both of you do business the right way: Charge what you need for the job. Do the best work you possibly can. Stand behind your work if something goes wrong. That's all I hope for as a consumer. It's just too bad we have to fight about it..

Now- what unit would YOU put on your roof? :)

Taboma

Reaction score
After several years of reading about Dynamic Air and following their picture posts, I'm seriously impressed. After having spent well over 20 years installing building automation systems, I'm equally impressed by their apparent tech and system knowledge.
If I were choosing by the criteria of what I perceive to be their abilities and care for quality, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the phone.
What might cause me to hesitate is, is their business attitude in how they treat their customers similar to their or RB's online persona ?

I'll use Palomar Solar as a prime example of a company I wouldn't have the slightest hesitation in hiring, both technically and attitude.
Is this simply a matter of how they come across online ? I don't know Riverbound, or anybody with Dynamic, but honestly, Basil (Palomar) comes across as a much nicer person to work with from a customer perspective.

As a customer, I really don't want to get my ass kicked over a minor disagreement.

Pitchforks and torches I'll be expecting, but I'm just being honest here (Yes a mistake I realize -- to late -- send). :D

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

RB: I appreciate all of your posts over many years of mostly lurking. Thanks for always trying.

Now- what unit would YOU put on your roof? :)

I sent you a Pm. Not sure if you got it. @rightytighty

. I personally run the Maytag (Nordyne) stuff in my houses. They are hands down the quietest running out there and have a 12 year warranty. Some people don’t like that product but I have had very good luck with it and it’s generally my go to for friends and family recommendations. We are very successful with Amana (Goodman) as well. We do a lot of Lennox and carrier due to customer request but I don’t see it as the best value when considering costs vs what you get.

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
I text one of the HVAC guy's about which roof unit. His response was by the beach or inland?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
After several years of reading about Dynamic Air and following their picture posts, I'm seriously impressed. After having spent well over 20 years installing building automation systems, I'm equally impressed by their apparent tech and system knowledge.
If I were choosing by the criteria of what I perceive to be their abilities and care for quality, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the phone.
What might cause me to hesitate is, is their business attitude in how they treat their customers similar to their or RB's online persona ?

I'll use Palomar Solar as a prime example of a company I wouldn't have the slightest hesitation in hiring, both technically and attitude.
Is this simply a matter of how they come across online ? I don't know Riverbound, or anybody with Dynamic, but honestly, Basil (Palomar) comes across as a much nicer person to work with from a customer perspective.

As a customer, I really don't want to get my ass kicked over a minor disagreement.
:D

I have yet to kick a customers ass over a disagreement [emoji6]. Keep in mind the only people who have negative things to say about me are people who have never done business with me. You would be hard pressed to find a person I have done business with that was dissatisfied with us. We spend a lot of time fostering our relationships with out customers and ensuring that they are not just a customer but a client for life. Ask Andy at Palomar who his AC contractor is [emoji6] we run very similar operations and Andy is as passionate about being the best as well as combating the misinformation in his trade as I am with mine. [emoji106]

Now some blowhard online misleading people with incorrect information acting as an “expert”....yes I will jump in. One of the biggest problems I see in the trades is the number of dishonest or misinformed “experts” misleading customers with false information. It gives legitimate tradesmen a bad name.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I don't know shit about HVAC. But if I was in the business I would be selling Carrier products.:D My neighbor is a HVAC owner and just got back from Costa Rica. Paid for by Carrier. He has been all over the world thanks to them. He said he installs about 100 residential units a year. His commercial side sales don't get the trips.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know shit about HVAC. But if I was in the business I would be selling Carrier products.:D My neighbor is a HVAC owner and just got back from Costa Rica. Paid for by Carrier. He has been all over the world thanks to them. He said he installs about 100 residential units a year. His commercial side sales don't get the trips.

All the vendors do that... I have been to prague on Lennox, Costa Rica on Maytag. and could've done turcs an caicos and Kauai....just have been too busy. the cash rebate rpgrams are where its at ;) screw the trips.

rightytighty

Reaction score
I sent you a Pm. Not sure if you got it. @rightytighty

. I personally run the Maytag (Nordyne) stuff in my houses. They are hands down the quietest running out there and have a 12 year warranty. Some people don’t like that product but I have had very good luck with it and it’s generally my go to for friends and family recommendations. We are very successful with Amana (Goodman) as well. We do a lot of Lennox and carrier due to customer request but I don’t see it as the best value when considering costs vs what you get.

Replied- thanks!

I text one of the HVAC guy's about which roof unit. His response was by the beach or inland?

Replied - Inland- way inland... Thanks!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I used to like Carrier prodcuts when I first started in the industry. But the more and more I work on or around them, I really hate them. I don't do too much residential so this is coming from mostly commercial experience but I'd stay away from Carrier and not pay the price premium they tend to charge.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I got to agree with RB here to a point....

They way I read it, he has faith that the mfg will stand behind their products and he will stand behind their products and his install.....nothing more, nothing less.

If nothing goes wrong, it costs him nothing, if his install is fucked up, he will fix it, if the unit is fucked up, he will make it right.

Brian

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Are Trane products any good?

All products are “good” the most important aspect of ANY system is how it’s installed. The contractor doing the work is far more important than the box they are putting in.

Trane is a popular brand in commercial. I’m not fond of them due to hem using abnormal control board and a lot of proprietary parts. Makes servicing them more challenging than most brands.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I have yet to kick a customers ass over a disagreement [emoji6]. Keep in mind the only people who have negative things to say about me are people who have never done business with me. You would be hard pressed to find a person I have done business with that was dissatisfied with us. We spend a lot of time fostering our relationships with out customers and ensuring that they are not just a customer but a client for life. Ask Andy at Palomar who his AC contractor is [emoji6] we run very similar operations and Andy is as passionate about being the best as well as combating the misinformation in his trade as I am with mine. [emoji106]

Now some blowhard online misleading people with incorrect information acting as an “expert”....yes I will jump in. One of the biggest problems I see in the trades is the number of dishonest or misinformed “experts” misleading customers with false information. It gives legitimate tradesmen a bad name.

Trust me, the vast majority of your work related posts, strike me as qualified, and certainly passionate about your trade.
Having worked with every major commercial mechanical contractor in the San Diego area, I could point out several I wouldn't even consider for a HVAC install at my home, let alone any business.
I was simply trying to convey, as a person who's never met you, an impression that's given me pause, but apparently, not deserved. Fair enough :D

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
All products are “good” the most important aspect of ANY system is how it’s installed. The contractor doing the work is far more important than the box they are putting in.

Trane is a popular brand in commercial. I’m not fond of them due to hem using abnormal control board and a lot of proprietary parts. Makes servicing them more challenging than most brands.

My sentiments exactly. Specially regarding the Trane products. Lennox commercial falls into that category as well for me.

Last edited:

Dkahnjob

Reaction score

My personal preferance is Carrier products.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Let me add my non professional .02 . The York unit I have at the river sucks ! And like stated earlier it's probably 50 % of the install . Please continue . Sorry for the interruption .

Tinkerer

Reaction score
Riverbound

Not worth the effort

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Reaction score
Let me add my non professional .02 . The York unit I have at the river sucks ! And like stated earlier it's probably 50 % of the install . Please continue . Sorry for the interruption .

York is junk
Lennox is living on it's name
Carrier/Bryant had been making their stuff cheaper every model change
Goodman/Amana is a good builder quality build

Tinkerer

Reaction score
How equipment is installed is very important but sometimes stuff just breaks for no reason.
I had to change out the variable speed inducer on a one day old furnace today because it was noisy.
Got a $400 tip today because the customer thought I did such a nice job and went beyond what was contracted.
Customer wrote a check for $8000 for a $ 7600 job.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
York is junk
Lennox is living on it's name
Carrier/Bryant had been making their stuff cheaper every model change
Goodman/Amana is a good builder quality build
The Goodman unit that came with my new house in Havasu lasted 5 years. Is that how long they normally last? Doesn't seem like a "quality builder".

Tinkerer

Reaction score
What failed on it?
As said Install is important. Wrong equipment for a job will have a short lifespan.
I have had equipment of just about ever brand fail early for no reason at all. Sometimes it just happens.
Hard to explain to the homeowner but sometimes you have to give a customer bad news.