WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Another New Nautique Engine Option.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Can't wait to get out on a Paragon with this engine! To my knowledge this is the most powerful factory engine option available in a wake sports boat. Nautique definitely always leading the way in wake boat technology.

"As we work with PCM to provide the latest engine technology, we are now offering the ZZ8 engine as the sole engine platform in in the G23 Paragon and G25 Paragon. This GM-based LT4 powerplant is a supercharged 6.2L Direct Injection engine with 600+ hp and 600+ ft-lb of torque, replacing the previous generation of XR7 and XS7 engines."

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My only complaint with our last two WB boats was not enough power. With more power you get more prop you can pull up one or two big adults with ease. Still the same hull speed in some lines if it's a dedicated hull WB boat, but that hole shot is a BFD IMHO unless you're towing 99 lb girls.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
My only complaint with our last two WB boats was not enough power. With more power you get more prop you can pull up one or two big adults with ease. Still the same hull speed in some lines if it's a dedicated hull WB boat, but that hole shot is a BFD IMHO unless you're towing 99 lb girls.

We have found with the new DI engines; even though some have less horsepower, they have jumped up in torque. The biggest thing I have seen is how linear the power band is. Meaning even if they are a lower HP engine they make more power all the time.

Reactions: TPC

rvrrun

Reaction score
We were really torn between the stock power and ZZ6 upgrade. In round numbers it was about $10k and more that one person said it would be wasted money unless we used the boat at altitude.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Should just put diesels these boats. They don't care about weight so might as well use a diesel. Tons of torque, problem solved.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
This is not an argument, as I've never owned one, so I don't know. But I am blown away that power is an issue with these boats. Your top speed note has always led me to believe that 300 hp is plenty as the hole shot should still be incredible. I've pulled two slalom skiers with a 140 horse I/O. Yes, they were experienced, but I still don't get it. Wakeboarders pop up. School me.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
We were really torn between the stock power and ZZ6 upgrade. In round numbers it was about $10k and more that one person said it would be wasted money unless we used the boat at altitude.

ZR4 is fine at low altitude; great bullet proof engine. However, the ZZ5 and ZZ6 are minimum at over 4000feet in any of the GS series boats. We do not order GS boats (even the GS20) without a ZZ5 minimum. The ZR4 works well in a SAN210 or 230 since they have a more efficient hull but most of my buyers are even jumping up to the ZZ5 on those as well.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
This is not an argument, as I've never owned one, so I don't know. But I am blown away that power is an issue with these boats. Your top speed note has always led me to believe that 300 hp is plenty as the hole shot should still be incredible. I've pulled two slalom skiers with a 140 horse I/O. Yes, they were experienced, but I still don't get it. Wakeboarders pop up. School me.

Full ballast (anywhere from 2000 to 6000lbs) in many of these boats, dry weight of up to 7400lbs and a crew of up to 16 people at 7000feet altitude, you need all you can get to get people pulled up out of the water. Plus, boats like Nautique's G series use a displacement style hull which is not efficient whatsoever. They are completely designed to displace water, not get on plane like all the other brands out there.

rvrrun

Reaction score
That’s a Zebra mussel distribution system mofo right there :D
I noticed an option, depending on where it’s purchased, for a ballast filtration system to combat this. They’ve thought of everything.

rvrrun

Reaction score
hahaha 50!??? I wish!!! More like 38 at our altitude and about 40 in Havasu. However, they ride pretty smooth. Maybe not like a 28ft deep V, but good.
It’s very surreal to hear that engine screaming and the speedo shows high 30mph speeds. The one we tested seemed to like cruising around 4K.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
That’s a Zebra mussel distribution system mofo right there :D

Yeah, they offer a "Aquatic Invasive Species Filter by Muscle Mastr". However, they plug up a lot and we end up removing them. Here in Tahoe, they run boiling water through the ballast before you can launch. Once you have gone through the process, you can launch without doing the inspection but if you go to another lake you have to go through all the crap again. It's a complete pain in the ass and expensive. Tahoe sucks.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Some wakeboard boats have Hull Speeds. You ain't going any faster than that no matter what.

With ballast and with these boats, or the boats I owned, weight is your friend. Lots of weight + more power is welcome. My boats were super heavy. Maybe it's changed since 2011. One male Wakeboarder OK, two was a struggle. I had 240 HP and 260 HP respectively. I would have changed the prop but sacrificed top speed which isn't that much in a dedicated hull WB boat to begin with.

Anything below 48 MPH on the Parker Strip is walking and boring. I wasn't always pulling a skier, tuber or Wakeboarder.

Remember many WB boats are also fast planing ski boats.
I'm talking dedicated to Wakeboarding hull with a hull speed designed boat.

Last edited:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Kinda surprised no one has put a power glide in a wake board boat, seems it’d work well with getting to and from but then also be able to ruin the shore with the huge wake.

riverroyal

Reaction score
More hp means more weight is a option which means more wake which means more middle fingers as it goes by

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Who would have thought designing the most inefficient hull possible would be a goal.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Put that ZZ8 into the Ski Nautique, that would be the hot ticket. Top end speed still not fast, but I’d imagine it’d be a rocket out of the hole and mid-range. That Ski Nautique is sweet. I’m all about the small boats.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Put that ZZ8 into the Ski Nautique, that would be the hot ticket. Top end speed still not fast, but I’d imagine it’d be a rocket out of the hole and mid-range. That Ski Nautique is sweet. I’m all about the small boats.

That would be crazy. They're already fast out of the hole with their std. 355hp, and rockets with the 450 you can get now.

Somebody will buy one :)

nowski

Reaction score
Who would have thought designing the most inefficient hull possible would be a goal.

I thought the goal was to push the most water possible while creating the gnarliest overhead waves, that's where all this is heading. Might as well save that $200k on that boat and just surf in the ocean with the fellow kooks...

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
That would be crazy. They're already fast out of the hole with their std. 355hp, and rockets with the 450 you can get now.

Somebody will buy one :)

3000 lbs dry, 600hp. Wish I had some scratch. I’m sure a zz8 ski version won’t be cheap if they make one.