WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Another preventative health question.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
No poll, just curious how y'all feel about it/them.
Yesterday I asked about annual flu shots.
Today my curiosity is simply along the lines of all the other "vaccines" we are subjected to. Someone touched on one I was going to bring up which is the Shingles 2 shot deal. For us over 50 folks, Shingrix is said to be in the ~90 to 97% efficacy.
So I suppose my questions would align with your trust in these vaccines and/or our government in regards to vaccines outside of the current CV stuff? I keep reading that some do not trust our pharmeries or government.
I've not gotten shingles shots, wife has. She had some pretty ugly reactions around the prick area.
Overall, I'm not a huge "shot getter" but will get those that protect my system from sicknesses borne in various nefarious regions around the earth.

azsunfun

Reaction score
when it comes to shingles shot, my dr says only pharmacy can give you those shots! i find that odd. observation not opinion.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I've seen some people get shingles and it's brutal. I'd get it when I get older.

I get the general distrust in the government, but what are you thinking they put in vaccines that have been around and approved for a while? I got my flu shot, but I won't get the COVID vaccine until I absolutely have to. Not because I think there is some mind control serum in it, but because I'm healthy, and I don't know about the long-term effects.

My best friend in the Navy was finally forced to get the poke 2 weeks ago, even though he had a mild case of COVID over a month ago, and ended up in the ER for chest pain last week. Docs say his EKG was abnormal and they are holding off on the second shot... morons. This is a 36-year-old guy that is 5'10, 180lbs, and sits around 10% BF all year long. He's an absolute freak of nature that went in on a SEAL contract but decided on a different path and still keeps his health at that level. I didn't believe all of the bullshit on here, but after talking to him and his wife, it's got me worried.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
My wife has shingles now, suffering pretty bad. Yikes, you don't want to get this! When she was diagnosed with it I ran out and got the first Shingrix vaccine shot at the pharmacy, I felt pretty wiped out the next day. I normally do not get the flu shot.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
I started getting the flu vaccine several years ago. Skipped some years & had all the scenarios, no vaccine, no flu, got vaccine, got flu etc… I’ll get the flu vaccine again this year. Considering getting the shingles shot, have a friend that had it, nasty stuff. I did get the 2 Pfizer shots but NOT getting a booster cuz there is too much unknown. My doctor said to get the pneumonia shot, I had pneumonia twice back in the 80’s, plus he said I wouldn’t feel well for a while afterwards, so I’m going to pass for now. That’s my story on shots & vaccines and yes, I believe there is a difference.

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
Zoster Vax has been around for 15 years and well studied. It is a live attenuated vaccine not an mRNA one.

my thoughts exactly.

I think its a fairly low risk over all, and i've seen my grandpa deal with shingles, that shit was no good.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So I started getting the shingles over ten years ago. That shit hurt BAD!!!

Doc said, don't worry, you only get it once, and it will Never come back again.

He was full of shit...

Everytime I'd get sunburned bad at the river, that shit would come right back. Zovirax would help the pain, but it still wasn't fun at all.

Fast forward to a new doc, cause the previous one retired, and the new one tells me to get the singles vax.

I'm like, dude, I've had shingles, so I have the natural antibodies already, right?

He says, get the shot. It's not going to harm you. Just try it and see what happens...

Haven't had an episode of the shingles since. 🥳

I don't recall any side effects, but I'll take a boat load of side effects over that nasty ass shit any day!!!

TCHB

Reaction score
I am going to get all the shots recommended including shingles.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
No poll, just curious how y'all feel about it/them.
Yesterday I asked about annual flu shots.
Today my curiosity is simply along the lines of all the other "vaccines" we are subjected to. Someone touched on one I was going to bring up which is the Shingles 2 shot deal. For us over 50 folks, Shingrix is said to be in the ~90 to 97% efficacy.
So I suppose my questions would align with your trust in these vaccines and/or our government in regards to vaccines outside of the current CV stuff? I keep reading that some do not trust our pharmeries or government.
I've not gotten shingles shots, wife has. She had some pretty ugly reactions around the prick area.
Overall, I'm not a huge "shot getter" but will get those that protect my system from sicknesses borne in various nefarious regions around the earth.
I trust vaccines that have been around for decades and actually work. The flu shot works for most it seems, got me very sick everytime. I've had all the other usual vaccines. Not over 50 so you are on your own with the shingles stuff.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
My grandma got shingles on her face when she was in her mid 60's. She is 80 now and she says the left side of her face still feels like someone is poking needles into it 100% of the time. She said nothing makes the pain go away, it just lessens it. She almost lost her left eye because of it, but fortunately she didn't.

Im a ways away from 50, but ill get it when the time comes.

X Hoser

Reaction score
I got the Shingles Vaccine probably 3-4 years ago. No reactions what so-ever. Got it in the doctor’s office. Around the same time I got the first pneumonia vaccine of a two part series. Nurse said no reported reactions. Very sore arm with a big lump, hot to the touch, sore. Put me down 5-6 days with joint aches and a fever. Called the nurse and she said they were starting to get multiple complaints of the same reactions. Never went back for the second shot!

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
CVS and yes I have the shingles shot.

I watched my Dad suffer with shingles 3 different times. I had the chicken pox pretty bad as a youngster so the shot seems best for me.
Zero adverse reactions.

Shingles is not a one and done virus deal. It can come back.

Last edited:

oldschool

Reaction score
I’m going to get the shingles shot, I got the rona shot, but that’s it. I DO NOT want shingles.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I trust vaccines that have been around for decades and actually work. The flu shot works for most it seems, got me very sick everytime. I've had all the other usual vaccines. Not over 50 so you are on your own with the shingles stuff.
Hope you are feeling better. 👍

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Got shingles in my mid 40’s…another level of pain.

My old boss got shingles twice.
Got vaccinated.
Got it three more times.

He now takes a daily anti-viral that seems to have put a stop to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

78Southwind

Reaction score
I got Shingles in my late 30's. If I remember right the doctor told me the virus stays dormant in the spine and when you are run down it can run its course. I was lucky that I went to the doctor right away since it was right below my right eye. It did not spread and whatever he gave me cured it up real fast. I am pretty sure the vaccine isn't a one and done deal. So you will have to go back and get more jabs over time.

poncho

Reaction score
I got the Shingles Vaccine probably 3-4 years ago. No reactions what so-ever. Got it in the doctor’s office. Around the same time I got the first pneumonia vaccine of a two part series. Nurse said no reported reactions. Very sore arm with a big lump, hot to the touch, sore. Put me down 5-6 days with joint aches and a fever. Called the nurse and she said they were starting to get multiple complaints of the same reactions. Never went back for the second shot!
I got the same 2 shots about 8 years ago, single dose on the pneumonia. About an hour after leaving the Doctors office I was driving to the next town when I had the weirdest feeling and realized I could not turn my head one bit, used my eyes and pulled onto the shoulder. Called my Doctors office and the nurse knew exactly what was going on and had my Doc call in a script close to me. Hard to explain how hard it is to drive under those conditions, took the script in the parking lot and gone in 5 minutes.

X Hoser

Reaction score
I got the same 2 shots about 8 years ago, single dose on the pneumonia. About an hour after leaving the Doctors office I was driving to the next town when I had the weirdest feeling and realized I could not turn my head one bit, used my eyes and pulled onto the shoulder. Called my Doctors office and the nurse knew exactly what was going on and had my Doc call in a script close to me. Hard to explain how hard it is to drive under those conditions, took the script in the parking lot and gone in 5 minutes.
Same here! Different joint every day. Toes so bad couldn’t walk. Neck so bad could’t look side to side. Then the wrist, knees and elbows….. Each joint was about a day then pain gone..on to another joint!

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Ziggy,drop by CVS LHC Lake Havasu Ave or call CVS. Get the damn shot,you do not want Shingles

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Ziggy, I have been informed by my doctor that I should get the shingles vax. I tried some time back and there was a shortage. Now all the BS going on in the world. I have two close people that have had shingles and I don’t really want to go down that path but I don’t want to get any jab right about now. 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Both of my parents got the shingles....... YOU DON'T WANT THAT SHIT !!!

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Ziggy,Shingles 2 part shot. 3 to 6 months apart. Talk to the pharmacist at LHC CVS. Right now shingles shots available.

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
Got my 1st dose shingles shot last week. It wasn't bad at all. I'm not going to risk getting shingles.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
My wife has had shingles. We both got the vaccine. My wife is unfortunately havig a flare up of shingles now.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Got the 2 shots about 3 years ago at 57.
Sore arm was only reaction.
You don't want to get shingles ... ever.... even if there's booster shots needed down the road.

sirbob

Reaction score
So is the shingles shot an every year thing like the flu shot? Or is it like a chicken pox / polio type thing - one and done?

I'm guessing the shingle shots are way up this year - cant go to CVS without them offering it. I don't recall that before. I think they are pushing it while everybody has a heighten awareness of getting shots and more are going to get it now that they are being asked if they want it.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
So is the shingles shot an every year thing like the flu shot? Or is it like a chicken pox / polio type thing - one and done?

I'm guessing the shingle shots are way up this year - cant go to CVS without them offering it. I don't recall that before. I think they are pushing it while everybody has a heighten awareness of getting shots and more are going to get it now that they are being asked if they want it.
It's 2 shots.

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
Get the shingles shot and be done with it....the alternative is brutal. Good luck Zig!

TCHB

Reaction score
Got the shingles shot and flu shot the last couple days. Shot a 84 today from the second tee box. Next is the M Booster. It is tough getting old!

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I wouldn’t let the BS surrounding the Covid “Vaccine” dissuade you from getting the shingles vaccine, I would consider it a must have if you are in the age bracket and don’t have any contraindications. Flu shot is a personal decision, but not a bad idea for most. Same with the pneumococcal vaccine for the groups it is recommended for. I would discuss your concerns with your PCP.

I see a lot of blanket “anti-vax” attitudes becoming prevalent- and a lot of it is because of the Covid situation.

Most vaccines are highly effective. I think if the powers that be were more honest about the Covid “vaccine” we could have avoided a lot of bullshit.

Vaccines exist for a reason, and most of them work relatively well.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Shingrix is the name of the 2 shot shingles vaccine. Well worth the 2 days of sore arms.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Zig….I guess if we were to get the shringrex vax we can say that we were vaccinated….right?

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I don't trust any shots right now. Who knows if they have had the covid shot added to them or whether they have added the stuff in the covid shot to them.
And that there is the problem. They aren’t mixing the vaccines. Use a trusted physician and follow their advice. The “jab” is not poison. Know your body, follow your physicians advice. It’s not some huge conspiracy. If you have known allergies to vaccines consult your allergist. This isn’t some top to bottom conspiracy. Your (good) MD still has your best interests in mind.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
And that there is the problem. They aren’t mixing the vaccines. Use a trusted physician and follow their advice. The “jab” is not poison. Know your body, follow your physicians advice. It’s not some huge conspiracy. If you have known allergies to vaccines consult your allergist. This isn’t some top to bottom conspiracy. Your (good) MD still has your best interests in mind.

How do you know they aren't? Have you dumped them out into an electron microscope and a gas chromatograph to verify? I honestly do not put it passed them as hard as they are pushing this. I will probably never get a shot again. I have no trust in doctors, absolutely none in big pharma, and even less in the gooberment.

Yes there is poisonous and highly detrimental stuff in the covid shot. And no it's not a conspiracy as it's been proven.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
There isn’t some system wide conspiracy to get everyone vaccinated for covid. Don’t let the media bullshit interfere with making informed decisions about your overall health.
How do you know they aren't? Have you dumped them out into an electron microscope and a gas chromatograph to verify? I honestly do not put it passed them as hard as they are pushing this. I will probably never get a shot again. I have no trust in doctors, absolutely none in big pharma, and even less in the gooberment
Buy some extra tin foil next time you’re at the supermarket.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
There isn’t some system wide conspiracy to get everyone vaccinated for covid. Don’t let the media bullshit interfere with making informed decisions about your overall health.
Buy some extra tin foil next time you’re at the supermarket.

You laugh now, but give it a little bit. They will be like progressive insurance. Bundling that shit

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
If there’s some systemwide conspiracy to innoculate the populous, the physicians and the rest of us healthcare professionals missed the memo. You ever hear the phrase “three can keep a secret if two are dead?” The MDs aren’t owned by big Pharma. And I’ve spoken at Length with many acclaimed physicians from multiple specialties- many of whom are good friends. They aren’t misleading all of us intentionally. I don’t trust big pharma anymore than your average guy- this stuff is examined and tested using peer review. If you don’t want the Covid vax don’t get it. But it’s not being administered in other vaccines.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
If there’s some systemwide conspiracy to innoculate the populous, the physicians and the rest of us healthcare professionals missed the memo. You ever hear the phrase “three can keep a secret if two are dead?” The MDs aren’t owned by big Pharma. And I’ve spoken at Length with many acclaimed physicians from multiple specialties- many of whom are good friends. They aren’t misleading all of us intentionally. I don’t trust big pharma anymore than your average guy- this stuff is examined and tested using peer review. If you don’t want the Covid vax don’t get it. But it’s not being administered in other vaccines.

It's not a conspiracy. They are trying to give it to everybody. No they aren't owned by big pharma but many do get massive kickbacks from them. And who knows what big pharma is doing.

So are they testing each dose? When was the last shipment?

Again I'm not taking any shot even penicillin for the clap.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
It's not a conspiracy. They are trying to give it to everybody. No they aren't owned by big pharma but many do get massive kickbacks from them. And who knows what big pharma is doing.

So are they testing each dose? When was the last shipment?

Again I'm not taking any shot even penicillin for the clap.
No, the majority of MDs do not get any kind of “kickback” for promoting the vaccine. The majority endorse it because for a large percentage of the population it makes sense to get it. If the powers that be, and the media, we’re more honest with the effectiveness of the “vaccine” and said it helps to prevent SEVERE COVID INFECTION instead of saying it PREVENTS ANY COVID INFECTION we could begin to have an honest discussion about the vaccine.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
No, the majority of MDs do not get any kind of “kickback” for promoting the vaccine. The majority endorse it because for a large percentage of the population it makes sense to get it. If the powers that be, and the media, we’re more honest with the effectiveness of the “vaccine” and said it helps to prevent SEVERE COVID INFECTION instead of saying it PREVENTS ANY COVID INFECTION we could begin to have an honest discussion about the vaccine.

I didn't say the kickbacks were for promoting the vaccine. And yes they do get kickbacks so in a way they are bought by big pharma.

How can something with unknown side effects make sense for the majority of the population?

For one how about just not calling it a vaccine as it's not one. It's a possible medicinal treatment that happens to cause the virus to mutate. Again how is that better for the vast majority of the population?

You can say whatever you like. But I do not trust them. If so many were out for our well being then they should be speaking out against this mandate as the vax is not for everyone.

And I do not trust big pharma to not bundle it and I don't trust the doctors the say they are or are not. And if government thinks of it, they will mandate it, he'll they may have already. I don't know and neither do you.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Let’s get away from big pharma and back to your regular physician. Do they get money for promoting and giving the vaccine? No.

Let’s make a deal:

You don’t want to think the vaccine works and covid doesn’t exist, when your loved one (or you) makes it to my ICU, and are over 50, non compliant, and with existing medical conditions, you agree to be a DNR, and don’t expect me to throw the kitchen sink at you/ them to keep them alive.

If you/ them are vaccinated, healthy, and have no underlying conditions I’ll fight to keep you alive.

Tired of fighting my ass off on lost causes. I can tell with 90% certainty when I get an admit to my ICU if they are going to make it.

I can keep someone half dead for months. While letting those with a chance miss out on hospital beds.

I plead for those of you who have the choice to make an informed REASONABLE decision, so I don’t have to torture your loved one in my ICU. Vaccine doesn’t have anything to do with it.

Believe me when I say we’re just trying to save anyone we can. COVID is real. Vax or not I don’t give a fuck. But I’m tired of keeping corpses alive because their family doesn’t believe in COVID or the VAX.

Our medical staff isn’t trying to save beds. If we say there’s no hope of a functional recovery we mean that. I hope you visit your loved one (or they visit you) in the skilled nursing facility after your lungs are destroyed by Covid and full of fibrotic lung disease- that only a transplant will fix- but they/ you won’t qualify for- even though it’s only a 5 year additional life sentence of suffering.

Please make informed decisions.

Signed, you non- liberal, trump supporting, ICU Nurse.

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Let’s get away from big pharma and back to your regular physician. Do they get money for promoting and giving the vaccine? No.

Let’s make a deal:

You don’t want to think the vaccine works and covid doesn’t exist, when your loved one (or you) makes it to my ICU, and are over 50, non compliant, and with existing medical conditions, you agree to be a DNR, and don’t expect me to throw the kitchen sink at you/ them to keep them alive.

If you/ them are vaccinated, healthy, and have no underlying conditions I’ll fight to keep you alive.

Tired of fighting my ass off on lost causes. I can tell with 90% certainty when I get an admit to my ICU if they are going to make it.

I can keep someone half dead for months. While letting those with a chance miss out on hospital beds.

I plead for those of you who have the choice to make an informed REASONABLE decision, so I don’t have to torture your loved one in my ICU. Vaccine doesn’t have anything to do with it.

Believe me when I say we’re just trying to save anyone we can. COVID is real. Vax or not I don’t give a fuck. But I’m tired of keeping corpses alive because their family doesn’t believe in COVID or the VAX.

Our medical staff isn’t trying to save beds. If we say there’s no hope of a functional recovery we mean that. I hope you visit your loved one (or they visit you) in the skilled nursing facility after your lungs are destroyed by Covid and full of fibrotic lung disease- that only a transplant will fix- but they/ you won’t qualify for- even though it’s only a 5 year additional life sentence of suffering.

So you going to do the same for smokers, drinkers, drug users too? What about those that push the limits in racing or extreme sports? Where do you draw the line? I have paid into the system and have had minimal use of it. Why are you the one that gets to pick and choose who lives and dies? Not an attack but I don’t get who made people in your position the ones to make the choice who lives or dies. I thought that the medical community were here to save lives.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
So you going to do the same for smokers, drinkers, drug users too? What about those that push the limits in racing or extreme sports? Where do you draw the line? I have paid into the system and have had minimal use of it. Why are you the one that gets to pick and choose who lives and dies? Not an attack but I don’t get who made people in your position the ones to make the choice who lives or dies. I thought that the medical community were here to save lives.
For the record, all patients get treated the same regardless of the life decisions they make.

If we enter emergency “surge” capacity like we did during the first round of covid, the doctors will begin to decide who gets treated and who doesn’t. I don’t know if that will happen again, but it’s close.

Personally, no, I don’t think smokers, etc, should get the same aggressive care as those who make healthy choices, but it’s not my decision to make. I’m not the healthiest person myself- but my family is clear on my wishes- I won’t be intubated and take up a bed if I get covid, I will go to hospice or choose comfort care.

Racing is a bit of a stretch, but someone wearing a helmet and PPE should be given a priority over someone who wasn’t, IMO.

Fortunately, I don’t get to pick who gets care and who doesn’t, so I’ll continue to follow the MD orders regardless of the patient like I always have.

I’m simply asking people to make an honest assessment of their health, and their Loved ones health, and not to expect miracles from modern medicine.

neilbachman

Reaction score
Imagine if medical personal did nothing to help someone who just OD'd because they made the choice how many people would be dead. Or how about we didn't help those involved in car crashes until we figured out if they broke the law first because they made the choice. What about those that eat fast food and are morbidly obese and get heart disease or have a heart attack, maybe we should just let them die since they made the choice to be unhealthy. We don't because that is not part of the human element we all have. Treating people who work out daily and eat healthy but don't agree with a government mandated flu shot is close minded and ignorant. Covid does exist. We know that, but remember how many homeless people, cops, firemen, paramedics, nurses and doctors who have worked through this without much widespread sickness. All of this over the past 18 months without a vaccine. Why? Because they are generally inclined to be healthy and have good immune systems as well as understanding general cleanliness procedures.

And in closing, if this was so deadly, why on earth are we firing medical staff who worked through this pandemic and know how to treat it. It doesn't pass the common sense test.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Why are you the one that gets to pick and choose who lives and dies? Not an attack but I don’t get who made people in your position the ones to make the choice who lives or dies. I thought that the medical community were here to save lives.

Nowhere in this thread was this said or implied.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

Let’s make a deal:

Never said covid was not real. And never said the docs get kickbacks from vaccine. But they do get kickbacks from big pharma, just happens biden is getting the ones for the vaccine.

No the vaccine doesn't work. And it's proven. Otherwise the vaxed would not be getting and spreading covid and creating mutations of it.

If you think your God enough that you are willing to ration medical treatment then that proves my point about the trust also.

So your saying any future side effects are still worth the risk when there are other alternatives with much less to no side effects?

I don't trust big pharma to not start bundling the covid shot into other true vaccines. And I don't trust the government to not mandate it. I don't trust most of the doctors to tell if they are or are not. Seems the hypocratic oath has turned into a hypocritic oath for many as they refuse to speak up.