WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Another retirement build

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
We bought the 2.5 acre lot in Havasu just after selling the company a couple of years back. Did the basic layout then dumped the remaining 110% of the project into SummitKarl's lap. I don't remember the exact footage but it's around 6,000 sq ft of house, 2,500 sq ft of garage, and 1,600 sq ft of covered patio. Two stories, six bedrooms and nine bathrooms. Located near the top of Window Rock on Rock Ridge Trail with an awesome view of the lake and sunsets.

The GC is Greg de Thomas of Amerizona Builders in Havasu.

Foundation work started the week before Thanksgiving. The right side of the house (in the following picture) faces west.

Foundation_1.jpg

Foundation_2.jpg

Framing started the beginning of the past week and good progress so far. At the end of Tuesday . . . .

Framing_1.jpg

. . . and as of Friday.

Framing_2.jpg

The space at the near right corner of the lot will be the pool and spa.

Looking to be moving into it in September.

Cheers, Mark

Last edited:

DWC

Reaction score
Ridiculous, in a good way. Looking forward to seeing the build.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Looks Great!

The driveway looks to be more user-friendly. :)

DLC

Reaction score
Oh Boy I like it!

When you finish this hotel is breakfast included in the room rate?
LoL

Looks awesome! Congratulations !!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Congrats on the new build. That's quite a compound.

Wheeler

Reaction score
What's not user friendly about the existing driveway Wheeler? ;) I've gotten used to backing a 28' boat up that thing and into the garage.

You're a better man than me. :)

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Wow....that's quite the compound you're building there...........Looking forward to seeing the progress.....good luck!!

Last edited:

Icky

Reaction score
Is RV garage going on the lower level?

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Is RV garage going on the lower level?

The garage has two double wide roll-up RV doors, the interior side next to the hill has an RV hookup (50A connection, water and dump).

The lower 2.5 acre lot is being reserved for a spec build when this one is finished.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
7K square feet for a retirement home? I hope you have a full time maid and maintenance person budgeted well into your golden years? That’s a lot of house to clean, lol. Haha - and I thought about down sizing from my 2K sq ft house when I retire.

Meaney77

Reaction score
What's not user friendly about the existing driveway Wheeler? ;) I've gotten used to backing a 28' boat up that thing and into the garage.

View attachment 612033
A good friend of mine used to own a house on Tarpon and had a driveway similar to this. He used to let me keep my boat in the garage if we could get it up there! It took some maneuvering but we were able to park it in the garage using 4WD. Good times!

Kaotic

Reaction score
Your builder is moving fast compared to other Havasu homes being built. Nice home!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Looks awesome. It's amazing how fast they can frame a house.
I hope yours doesn't take 18 months like mine did.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Looking good!

When's the open house party? :D

The last I heard we were looking at October. :D

Tiles are stacked on the roof, rough electrical and plumbing done, insulation going up, and the retaining wall for the patio/pool deck extension has been started.

View attachment 635458

I'll try and post closer to real-time this weekend during Desert Storm.

Wheeler

Reaction score
How's the house looking now?

Wheeler

Reaction score
Drywall is in-process . . . ., I'm told two weeks to hang then another three to tape and texture.

View attachment 647377

View attachment 647378

Looking good!:cool:

You still have time to cancel the texture and go slick wall.
What texture did you decide on? I've seen quite a few homes textured in what is called Santa Fe and it's a bit much for my taste.

wishiknew

Reaction score
Looking good!:cool:

You still have time to cancel the texture and go slick wall.
What texture did you decide on? I've seen quite a few homes textured in what is called Santa Fe and it's a bit much for my taste.
I got slick wall worth every dollar more

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I don't recognize the term "slick wall". What I had originally planned on was Level 5 then a very light orange peel. Greg suggested a light troweled finish as an upscale to the light orange peel. As we get closer we'll do a few test panels and figure out what we want. Absolutely none of the heavy textures of any type.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I don't recognize the term "slick wall". What I had originally planned on was Level 5 then a very light orange peel. Greg suggested a light troweled finish as an upscale to the light orange peel. As we get closer we'll do a few test panels and figure out what we want. Absolutely none of the heavy textures of any type.

Level five also called slick wall or smooth wall. If you go to all the work of level five why would you go with texture on top?

I believe you are on the right track just don't settle for something that you don't like and have to remove it, again.

Listen to what he has to say then go look at completed jobs of his. Test panels are a waste of time.

I'll be in Blythe attempting to paint a level five job this weekend. I sure hope I don't screw it up. :D

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Level five also called slick wall or smooth wall. If you go to all the work of level five why would you go with texture on top?

I believe you are on the right track just don't settle for something that you don't like and have to remove it, again.

Listen to what he has to say then go look at completed jobs of his. Test panels are a waste of time.

I'll be in Blythe attempting to paint a level five job this weekend. I sure hope I don't screw it up. :D

Thanks Wheeler, enjoy your weekend!

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
If you are looking to adopt any children who are in their mid 40’s, self sufficient, with their own river place, but need a place to crash in Havasu occasionally, let me know. Lol

<<<<Will work for room, board, and beverages.

Beautiful home, Congrats.

wishiknew

Reaction score

I did knock down in the first half of my remodel then got slick wall in the second half then redid first half to slick wall (wife could not live with half and half ) FML now I am done on to the next adventure

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Drywall is hung, tape and mud is in-process. Stucco should be starting any day now.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I've ignored this build thread. We're coming down the home stretch now.

Pool has been dug and steelwork started today.

Exterior stonework will start in two weeks. Interior tile work is about half done. Granite counter tops are scheduled for installation this week.

Electrical is being trimmed out, AC is active.

Cabinetry is in and appliance delivery and installation is scheduled for next Monday.

Looking forward to spending the Thanksgiving week in our new home.

Our GC Greg de Thomas has been great to deal with, he's made the process as painless as possible.

Entry.jpg
Front.jpg
Ent_grp.jpg
Pool_dig.jpg

Last edited:

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Looking Awesome! I really like the tile you selected.
I hope you get to move in on time.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Getting close now, actually have our final and occupancy certificate.

Front driveway is being poured (latest section this morning) and the pool is almost full as of 30 minutes ago.

Back yard landscaping starts next week.

Driveway.jpg
Pool_deck.jpg
Pool_Filling.jpg

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
A bit of an update . .

Looking west in the morning . . . , sundowns are spectacular but I can't find a decent pic on my phone.

Spa looking west.jpg

Front yard landscaping is continuing . . .

Front driveway.jpg

Garage floor being prepped, done by Jeff Wright at Full Throttle.

Garage prep.jpg

Epoxy is down . . .

garage floor.jpg

and the smaller cabinet section is installed.

Garage counters.jpg

BBQ island being done this week, the last of the tile work in the bathrooms early next week, and a bunch of little items in this final 1% of the project.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
This came out great! Nice job. Let me know if you guys ever need anything.

Reactions: DWC

BajaMike

Reaction score
Newer pictures??? Looks like a great place!

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Beautiful job MAW. Congrats on a job well done [emoji106]

TGIBFTGOG

Reaction score
Love the stone work. Do you know the manufacturer and the product name of the stone?

Thanks

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Eldorado was the mfg but I can't recall the style and color. I'll check a few emails tomorrow and see if I can dig it up. Moot point though as it was discontinued 3/4 of the way through the project and the crew was scouring the west picking up whatever they could find.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Project is finishing up nicely!