WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

ANOTHER SCHIADA MAKEOVER

X Hoser

Reaction score
It all started when I bought Chris Benjamin's 21 RC, "King Bee" in January 2012. Plan was to do a couple of quick things to it and have it ready for Spring. Well?.that didn't go as planned. One thing lead to another and the "sickness" set in. It's been a 2 year project, finally splashed it for the "Notta Regetta" this past October. I never intended for it to be a build so I did not post progress photos. So, over the next few days I'll share pictures of the "makeover".
This is what it looked like when I picked it up.
GEDC0686.jpg GEDC0675.jpg GEDC0672.jpg

At first I was just going to redo the interior. But then decided to replace the cavitation plates, 5" over, all Stainless Steel. FRZJIM suggested it, 025 talked me into it:D
IMG_0314.jpg IMG_0283.jpg GEDC0696.jpg

The last picture is the original plates. Somehow the plate pictures are in reverse order??more tomorrow.

Hammer

Reaction score
Looking forward to the build ! :thumbup:

X Hoser

Reaction score
Don't like the linear actuators so went with a foot pedal set up
IMG_1118.jpg IMG_1115.jpg

X Hoser

Reaction score
The off to Scott Kornowski's for a little transom work and a cap. My goal with this makeover was to keep a classic, nostalgic look with a few upgrades and a little performance under-the-hood. IMO the cap really set the colors off.
capped1.jpg capped.jpg

X Hoser

Reaction score
Then it was time for interior. Cant thank Bill Sturgis at ARKO enough. Same to Jody and the rest of the crew at Conquest Boats. All new seats, hatch, side curtains and 40oz carpet.
IMG_0586.jpg IMG_0584.jpg IMG_0583.jpg IMG_0581.jpg IMG_0614.jpg

tony

Reaction score
Great looking boat thanks for sharing!!

X Hoser

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comments. Like I said earlier, I wanted to keep the classic Schiada look, but didn't want to make it sooooo nice that I would be a nervous wreck every time I used it.
I think the interior really turned out nice, Seats 5 comfortably and the engine is covered which keeps the wife happy ;) The passenger seat can be rotated backwards for skiing. I told Bill what I was thinking in regards to the interior and turned him loose. Besides being one of the nicest guys I've ever met, he really knows what he is doing.
IMG_1451.jpg IMG_0694.jpg IMG_0684.jpg IMG_0696.jpg IMG_0681.jpg

fmo24

Reaction score
It's surprising how much difference that woven strapping makes in the seat. Boat really looks great.

X Hoser

Reaction score
It's surprising how much difference that woven strapping makes in the seat. Boat really looks great.

I agree with the straps. That is the one thing I had to talk Bill into. He said that with the new foams out today they were not needed. Didn't take much to talk him into it though?..glad I did. Thanks for the nice comment!

Reaction score
This boat is gorgeous!! Xhoser is a perfectionist so that's what it is. Good job, all those late nights paid off!!

X Hoser

Reaction score
This boat is gorgeous!! Xhoser is a perfectionist so that's what it is. Good job, all those late nights paid off!!

Look who's calling the kettle black! Thanks for all of your help and knowledge and use of your shop. (Fixing my screw ups too :yikes) Wouldn't of happened without you!

FrznJim

Reaction score
Beautiful job Rick! Love the cap and the interior. Waiting to see the plates!

DickieB

Reaction score
Is that the same boat that Chris's dad, Pat built in about 1980 or so? Same 660 numbers. If so, I've been about a million miles riding backwards in that boat. Pat and Connie were killed in their airplane just before the Nationals in San Diego, I think in 1981. Beautiful boat, by the way. At the time, it was one of the best handling boats out there, was like riding in a Lexus!

Last edited:

X Hoser

Reaction score
Is that the same boat that Chris's dad, Pat built in about 1980 or so? Same 660 numbers. If so, I've been about a million miles riding backwards in that boat. Pat and Connie were killed in their airplane just before the Nationals in San Diego, I think in 1981. Beautiful boat, by the way. At the time, it was one of the best handling boats out there, was like riding in a Lexus!

Talked at great length with Pat about his parents and the plane crash. My parents were long time friends of the Penhalls and were suppose to be with them when their plane crashed also. LeRoy and Bonnie were like second parents to me and it really hit home talking to him. My mom has never really recovered from the loss of her best friend. Could completely relate to his feelings. That was in 1974.

Chris carried on the ski racing with his son in memory of his dad. If my memory serves me correctly I believe his son won the National Championship behind this boat in the 14 y/o class. This is a 1996 so different boats, but same numbers and probably set up close to the same. It had a decal that read "Remember Pat Benjamin" on the gunnel that was removed with the other decals. I am having a plaque engraved with the same and will be mounting it on the boat, probably underside of the hatch or in the driver's compartment area. Guardian Angel for the boat. :) I have sent pictures to Chris of the "makeover". I have not told him about the plaque, but will send a pic to him once installed. Sure seems to handle nice so far. A little more dialing in the new plates and all should be good.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Beautiful job Rick! Love the cap and the interior. Waiting to see the plates!

Here ya go Jim. These took the longest to do primarily because I did most of the mill work myself. (A lot of help from 025 here on the boards). Bergeron T Handle, return springs, turn buckles and lever eyes. And a couple bucks in polishing!
IMG_1442.jpg IMG_1424.jpg IMG_1425.jpg

DickieB

Reaction score
I'm confused....don't know the Penhalls, Chris's Dad & Mom were Pat & Connie Benjamin, did I miss something? Maybe we're talking about different people?

X Hoser

Reaction score
I'm confused....don't know the Penhalls, Chris's Dad & Mom were Pat & Connie Benjamin, did I miss something? Maybe we're talking about different people?

Different people. I had friends die in a plane crash too. Just a common topic we had to talk about. LeRoy Penhall was a championship circle boat racer in the 60's.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I saw it at the regatta. Looks like a totally different boat!!

DickieB

Reaction score
Different people. I had friends die in a plane crash too. Just a common topic we had to talk about. LeRoy Penhall was a championship circle boat racer in the 60's.

OK, now it makes sense...Pat & Connie were our best friends too, still hard to comprehend, after all these years. Still see Chris at the river, good guy with a beautiful wife and great kids!

X Hoser

Reaction score
I saw it at the regatta. Looks like a totally different boat!!

I had watched this boat for quite awhile but never called on it. The pictures that were posted just did not do this boat justice. Without looking into it I had assumed, being a race boat, that it had open stringers and was probably full race prepped. I wasn't looking for a "race boat". I felt that with what he was asking for it and what I would have to put into it would put me in too deep.

Then Chris contacted me and offered it up at a price that I had to go look at it. Full floors, set up was close to what I wanted and IMO the colors really looked good in person. Colors and scheme were classic Schiada and that is what I wanted. The boat was solid and not abused. We obviously were able to put the deal together. Chris said he sold me the boat for what he did because he knew I would appreciate it and take care of it.

When I sent him the pictures of the makeover his response was that he would have done the same things if he had kept it.

vdcruiser

Reaction score
Nice boat, can you tell me what the longer cav. plates do.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Nice boat, can you tell me what the longer cav. plates do.

I am just learning how to drive the boat. From what I have been told it adds much needed stability to the boat at higher speeds. Many of the "older" Schiadas were set up for the type of horsepower that was available at the time. With todays higher horsepower motors there is so much to consider when setting up a v-drive. Location of V-drive, strut angle, how far forward the engine is placed, prop, rudder, you name it, all plays into how "balanced" the boat will be and how it will take a set, carry the nose and be stable at higher speeds. Sounds like I know what I'm talking about but really just learning. I have had some good people giving me good advise. The boat really handles well so far. Maybe someone else can chime in, I'm always "all ears" and ready to learn.

schiada96

Reaction score
Wow
It sure looks different with the capped hull and Interior. I'm glad someone has put that much effort in it.
It did 98 with a tt 509 when I first finished it from a bare hull. I made every part on it from the tanks underwater gear all of it.
I like what you have done to it.

Last edited:

X Hoser

Reaction score
Wow
It sure looks different with the capped hull and Interior. I'm glad someone has put that much effort in it.
It did 98 with a tt 509 when I first finished it from a bare hull. I made every part on it from the tanks underwater gear all of it.
I like what you have done to it.

Thanks 96! I may PM you in the future if I have any questions. So far I have to say you did a great job! My goal was to take this boat from a racer to a "river rod", that would allow me to take family and friends with me and still have a little performance under the hatch to satisfy my "need for speed".:p

schiada96

Reaction score
Thanks 96! I may PM you in the future if I have any questions. So far I have to say you did a great job! My goal was to take this boat from a racer to a "river rod", that would allow me to take family and friends with me and still have a little performance under the hatch to satisfy my "need for speed".:p

Cool let me know.

jarrettolson

Reaction score
do you have pictures of the linkage for your engine cover as well as your ski pole?

super clean stuff!

X Hoser

Reaction score
do you have pictures of the linkage for your engine cover as well as your ski pole?

super clean stuff!

Jarrett, I have a couple of the hinges and actuators. There is no "linkage", or hatch catch as the dual actuators hold the hatch down fine. The hatch also tucks in behind the rear seat so really no way for air to get under it. The hinges are "hidden" and not seen from the exterior. Sorry, the pictures aren't very clear but all I could find now.
As for the ski pole I couldn't find any right now. I'll be in Havasu next week and will take some then. Basically, The pole is ran through the gunnel and bolted to a "U" shaped bracket. The bracket is bolted to the transom using the two bolts that secure the center pillow block to the transom. Hope this helps.
IMG_1427.jpg IMG_0609.jpg IMG_0608.jpg IMG_0607.jpg

Coleblooded

Reaction score
the layout and upholstery work on the hatch look awesome, what an outstanding design:thumbup:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Very nice. I so wish I could afford to redo my interior but I'd have to start from scratch with it and I know it'd cost me an arm and a leg.

X Hoser

Reaction score
IMG_1960.jpg IMG_1951.jpg IMG_1950.jpg Took the boat to Custom Canvas for a new cover. Soft and towing cover. Thank You Monica for the great job!

Reaction score
Nice looking cover. You'll love it