WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Another Schiada....

rivergames

Reaction score
'67 Flat this time [emoji106]

Motor was rebuilt 2 years ago and only has 20 minues on her

She is a tad banged up from years and years as a river boat. Im going to slightly clean her up, but keep it how it is and have some fun with her!

Previous owner had her for 35 years. Him and his wife are very bitchen people. Scuba divers and retiring from work, selling their house in SoCal and moving to a water front in the Caribbean!

He texted me an older pic as well.

Supposedly, this boat won golds in many races in the 70's as well. I'll try to look into that tomorrow.
20190504_144740.jpg
20190504_140235.jpg
IMG_20190504_140510_361.jpg
IMG950551.jpg
IMG950550.jpg

1homeblown

Reaction score

She is a tad banged up from years and years as a river boat. Im going to slightly clean her up, but keep it how it is and have some fun with her!

Previous owner had her for 35 years. Him and his wife are very bitchen people. Scuba divers and retiring from work, selling their house in SoCal and moving to a water front in the Caribbean!

Supposedly, this boat won golds in many races in the 70's as well. I'll try to look into that tomorrow. View attachment 751203 View attachment 751204 View attachment 751206 View attachment 751207 View attachment 751208

Original Checker! Nice score! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Waters

Reaction score

Supposedly, this boat won golds in many races in the 70's as well. I'll try to look into that tomorrow. View attachment 751203 View attachment 751204 View attachment 751206 View attachment 751207 View attachment 751208
Nice boat with great history.

nrbr

Reaction score
That's so freakin awesome! I've seen that boat in pictures before in its white form....

Backlash

Reaction score
Nice find you lucky bastard! :D They moved that motor right up into your lap!! I bet it runs great though! I dig it!! Check out the leather belt transom tie down! :D Can you take it back to the checkerboard paint??

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. motor looked REAL far forward.

Nice find you lucky bastard! :D They moved that motor right up into your lap!! I bet it runs great though! I dig it!! Check out the leather belt transom tie down! :D Can you take it back to the checkerboard paint??

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Made a shitton of power at one time, or just want the boat nose heavy?

1homeblown

Reaction score
I’m looking forward to hearing the details on this one. Specifically engine location, strut angle and prop size. [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
My favorite boat (Schiada flat) of all I've owned good luck with your resto , just started on my 68' Schiada jet I found in Sac two weeks back

Attachments

• moby 3.jpeg
    moby 3.jpeg
    397.8 KB · Views: 286

rrrr

Reaction score
What's the advantage of running the driveline off of the crank snout? I used to know this, but like lots of other things, I have forgotten the reason. :rolleyes:

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
What's the advantage of running the driveline off of the crank snout? I used to know this, but like lots of other things, I have forgotten the reason. :rolleyes:

Motor rotates to the left, to go left, circle racing. :)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I have always wondered why peeps just don't run it off the crank flange and run a reverse cam

rrrr

Reaction score
Well, duh on me. My memory is fading fast.

Reverse rotation engines were used on one side on some models of the Lockheed P-38 during WWII, but most of those were replaced with standard rotation engines because of the logistics involved in having two different engines in forward Pacific bases. The idea was that counterrotating engines would cancel the effects of propeller torque.

In 1959, Smokey Yunick built the Offy powered Reverse Torque Special for the Indianapolis 500. It finished 7th, but the concept was found to provide little, if any, advantage. The same amount of crossweight bias provided by the engine torque could be achieved by choosing the correct springs or using a cockpit mounted weight jacker control.

The story of Yunick's car is told in this blog post:

https://macsmotorcitygarage.com/another-look-at-smokey-yunicks-reverse-torque-special/

Smokey-Yunicks-Reverse-Torque-Special.jpg

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
Hey Andrew, great find! Congrats!
That boat at one point was owned by a fella named Wayne Hartman who worked at Auto Marine Engineering in Glendora, CA according to his son.
I could be incorrect about this next part...but my gut tells me that before Wayne owned it...it was owned/raced by George McDougle and named Fat Rat. I have a photo of Fat Rat that George gave me and he has every bit of history on it. He swears it was the best boat he ever owned and would rather have it again over any Biesmeyer he ever drove. He purchased it from Norm Taylor who raced it under the name Mr. Clean. There's old Schiada print ads that mention Mr. Clean.

Again, I could be wrong about Flat Crazy being the same boat as Mr.Clean/Fat Rat...but my instincts are buzzin'.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I have always wondered why peeps just don't run it off the crank flange and run a reverse cam

They do with Fords, as the crank is small and the snout breaks if you try and run off the balancer. Chevrolets not a problem.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Perhaps, boats don't have that option. ;)

Reverse rotation engines were used on one side on some models of the Lockheed P-38 during WWII, but most of those were replaced with standard rotation engines because of the logistics involved in having two different engines in forward Pacific bases. The idea was that counterrotating engines would cancel the effects of propeller torque.

In 1959, Smokey Yunick built the Offy powered Reverse Torque Special for the Indianapolis 500. It finished 7th, but the concept was found to provide little, if any, advantage. The same amount of crossweight bias provided by the engine torque could be achieved by choosing the correct springs or using a cockpit mounted weight jacker control.

https://macsmotorcitygarage.com/another-look-at-smokey-yunicks-reverse-torque-special/

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
They do with Fords, as the crank is small and the snout breaks if you try and run off the balancer. Chevrolets not a problem.

Even the Chevy snout(and front bearing) is still relatively small, consider it is driving a blower, in addition to the propshaft. :)

westair

Reaction score
That boat at one point was owned by a fella named Wayne Hartman who worked at Auto Marine Engineering in Glendora, CA according to his son.
I could be incorrect about this next part...but my gut tells me that before Wayne owned it...it was owned/raced by George McDougle and named Fat Rat. I have a photo of Fat Rat that George gave me and he has every bit of history on it. He swears it was the best boat he ever owned and would rather have it again over any Biesmeyer he ever drove. He purchased it from Norm Taylor who raced it under the name Mr. Clean. There's old Schiada print ads that mention Mr. Clean.

Again, I could be wrong about Flat Crazy being the same boat as Mr.Clean/Fat Rat...but my instincts are buzzin'.

Any idea where Wayne's at now? …. I sold him a boat way back in the late 70's and was pretty good friends with him. Just lost contact over the years

Backlash

Reaction score
Out of space? Just leave it in my driveway with the key. That way I can move it around if I need to. :D

westair

Reaction score
I believe he passed away.
A few years back I had a chat with Wayne's son on instagram who sent me these photos.

Sorry to hear that …. thanks for pics. Wayne used to have a little pizza place, after I sold him my Sanger flat that's when he met up with the guys from Automarine …. he was all in. Right after that he sold his business and went to work for them.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if the "Flat Crazy" and "Mr. Clean" Schiadas were the same boat. As I recall, the "Mr. Clean" circle boat was owned (or at least partly owned) by Terry McCorkle who was employed at Schiada's Gardena factory in the late 1960s and early 70s along with Steve Ferrin, Jim and Bert Hart. The "Mr. Clean" I remember was a K-boat with a blown small block Chevy running on propane. Terry didn't drive the boat due to physical handicaps (the result of childhood polio I believe). The driver could have been Norm Taylor.

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
Not sure if the "Flat Crazy" and "Mr. Clean" Schiadas were the same boat. As I recall, the "Mr. Clean" circle boat was owned (or at least partly owned) by Terry McCorkle who was employed at Schiada's Gardena factory in the late 1960s and early 70s along with Steve Ferrin, Jim and Bert Hart. The "Mr. Clean" I remember was a K-boat with a blown small block Chevy running on propane. Terry didn't drive the boat due to physical handicaps (the result of childhood polio I believe). The driver could have been Norm Taylor.

I'm not positive yet either if it's the same boat, but I have a weird feeling...
You're right, Norm Taylor drove Mr. Clean(ER-19) for Terry McCorkle.
George McDougall bought it from Terry and renamed the boat Fat Rat or Fat Rat 2 and raced Super Stock class. Later sold it to someone in the Lake Elsinore area and lost track of it.

Here's a couple photos of George, I'll dig up more...

IMG_0378.JPG IMG_0898.JPG

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score

Any info on George? His wife? Super chill people.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Inspired by the one race pic , I set out to find some checkerboard decal maker and decided to leave my newly acquired Schiada white
checkerboards 1.jpeg

rivergames

Reaction score
Wayne Scheiern is the previous owner I purchased the boat off of. Wayne had the boat since 1985.

I took the boat to Elsinore yesterday and instantly fried the water impeller. She needs a few items worked out. In the next few weeks i'll get her cleaned up and she'll be off to the river!

FlatNv

Reaction score
bitchen find , congrats .. i'll put beer money on the part of just slightly clean up and leaving alone :)

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score

Smokey-Yunicks-Reverse-Torque-Special.jpg

Steering torque in a V drive boat is tremendous, so it's more than just a small advantage to turn the prop the other direction when you are racing and making left turns.

Rjt01

Reaction score
Sweet find bro , love the flattie. Hope to see her in the flesh , oh I know about smoking the water impeller lol . Now learned to keep spares lol

rivergames

Reaction score
Pulled the water pump apart tonight. You can see the rubber inside the pump. Put the new impeller and gasket in. She'll be good to go now.

Got new tires on the rims and threw those on the trailer.

My grandpa repacked the bearings a few days ago.

Put 2 new drain plug housings and rubber flaps in.

Tightened the loose steering cables.

Put oil in the V-Drive.

Put new $45 Amazon boat dust cover on that fit perfectly!

Few issues. Bilge pumps arent turning on
I'll try to figure that out next week.

Dip stick hole on the oil pan is siliconed shut....I can try to pull the silicone.... if that doesnt work, ill have to figure out a way to check the oil in the motor.

20190514_190905.jpg
20190514_191316.jpg
20190514_201736.jpg

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
nice float. i like the fender side marker lights. def kustom.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Race Boat Cover June 1969.jpg

Attachments

• Schiada Racers Austin Aqua FestAug 15th 16th 1970 Race Boat Sept 1970.jpg
    Schiada Racers Austin Aqua FestAug 15th 16th 1970 Race Boat Sept 1970.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 109