WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anti-Sway Bars, Hellwig or Roadmaster?

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
It seems that on Class C MH's, the suspension (be it on a 350 or 450) is helped greatly by upgrading the stock anti-sway bars. I have found both Roadmaster and Hellwig get great reviews and seem to be the two best choices. Hellwig is always significantly less expensive. Why is that? Is it the brand name Roadmaster has or are they actually better designed and constructed? Will brand make any real difference in the end?

thanks.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Thanks, any reason you went with Roadmaster over Hellwig?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
No. Just knew Roadmaster was well respected and did not fail me. Worry free and were very helpful tech wise before hand.

DLC

Reaction score
You can also add a set of air bags in the rear so your not riding completely on leaf spring. Tie them together so they have the same air pressure side to side.

A good set of shocks help

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Thanks. I’m trying to NOT just throw $$$ at this thing like I did my Jeep. Lol

squeezer

Reaction score
You can also add a set of air bags in the rear so your not riding completely on leaf spring. Tie them together so they have the same air pressure side to side.

A good set of shocks help

I had a Provan Tiger that we put bags on. Had them tied together at first. The sway was actually worse as the bags would communicate. down on one side caused the other to extend... not good.

I isolated the fill lines and it was way better.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I had a Provan Tiger that we put bags on. Had them tied together at first. The sway was actually worse as the bags would communicate. down on one side caused the other to extend... not good.

Wow. You have some good information when you participate outside the P&G dungeon. LOL. Try it more often.

Sent From Tapatalk

DLC

Reaction score

Oh that’s right keep them separate so you don’t get slouching side to side.... I kinda for got what I did on my coach, it had a long overhang in the back and the bags would stiffen it up - no tail wagging and no side to side rocking. I changed lanes one time thank god nobody was in the lane next to me all due to the wind....
The bags helped out a ton!

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
I have an 08 Jayco Seneca and just put some Koni shocks on it as the shocks were original. I also have air bags in the rear on separate switches. I have just driven the MH home, but so far feels like a great investment. Not that couchy feel to driving it. I'll be heading out for Thanksgiving loaded up and am looking forward to seeing how she rides.

Dream Chaser

Reaction score
I have 2012 27' Class C E450 Chassis . Steering was all over the road. Did some research and made the following improvements- one at a time.

1. Added Roadmaster steering stabilizer. - Some improvement
2. Adjusted the Caster to + 5 Degrees- More improvement- requires new shims and shop that will do it.
3 Added roadmaster front sway bar and Bilstein gas shocks- Huge improvement.

The coach is now very driveable without white knuckles.

Chose the roadmaster sway bar due to the polyurethane bushings.

Tons of information on this subject on rvfourm.net - search E350/E450 handling problems. Also lots of good videos on all rv subjects on etrailer.com

Attached is original sway bar vs roadmaster.
IMG_1559.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg

Last edited:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I have an 08 Jayco Seneca and just put some Koni shocks on it as the shocks were original. I also have air bags in the rear on separate switches. I have just driven the MH home, but so far feels like a great investment. Not that couchy feel to driving it. I'll be heading out for Thanksgiving loaded up and am looking forward to seeing how she rides.
the shocks were IMO the best thing you did,... although I not a fan of konis,... they sure did good at marketing and everyone drank the koolaid

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I have 2012 27' Class C E450 Chassis . Steering was all over the road. Did some research and made the following improvements- one at a time.

2. Adjusted the Caster to + 5 Degrees- More improvement- requires new shims and shop that will do it.

Tons of information on this subject on rvfourm.net - search E350/E450 handling problems. Also lots of good videos on all rv subjects on etrailer.com

Attached is original sway bar vs roadmaster. View attachment 944247 View attachment 944250
not that I know anything, but agree you went at this correct..here's the real problem... ford puts these cut away chassis together to coach builders specs... the one size fits all doesn't fit ....alot of enjoyment can be had with those changes to fit you actual coach... identify and correct is the way I do it..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
It seems that on Class C MH's, the suspension (be it on a 350 or 450) is helped greatly by upgrading the stock anti-sway bars. I have found both Roadmaster and Hellwig get great reviews and seem to be the two best choices. Hellwig is always significantly less expensive. Why is that? Is it the brand name Roadmaster has or are they actually better designed and constructed? Will brand make any real difference in the end?

thanks.
I use both at my shop,..and get the same results, roadmaster spends way more on advertising, and they cost more...you will get more bang for youe buck with a shock and spring change... then see about the sway bars... alot of sway problem are enhanced by wrong shock and spring rates..

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
So any idea what the stock spring rate , front and rear, for a stock 2015 E-350? And what to change toor how to decide.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
So any idea what the stock spring rate , front and rear, for a stock 2015 E-350? And what to change toor how to decide.
measuring the wire size will tell on the stock,.. but weigh the coach also.....moog has a full line progressive springs that smooth out the ride, when you find out the weight in front, loaded as normal use... pick a spring that matches+ 1000 lbs...first time i did it that was to heavy, but it was a class "B"... good thing is the springs are cheep, under 100 for the pair,.. and they go in quick and easy.. on the rear, what I do is add the super springs , get the lighter ones as they work well...they add spring weight and stop sway....in pryor years I would take new coaches to skips spring shop and add a leaf,.. but there was no adjusting so you got what ever happened... with the super spring there is adjustment

SuperSprings SSA22 | 2019 Ford E-350 Super Duty (truckspring.com)

For Ford E-150 E-250 E-350 Econoline Front Variable Rate Coil Spring Set Moog | eBay

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. When I get done with this Tennessee trip and the following Montana venture, I’ll get in touch with you. Thanks

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Thanks Steve. When I get done with this Tennessee trip and the following Montana venture, I’ll get in touch with you. Thanks
while you are on the road , stop at a loves truck stop and weigh it...

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Each axle or just a total? Thanks for the idea.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score

Attached is original sway bar vs roadmaster. View attachment 944247 View attachment 944250

The caster comment is spot on. Factory specs don’t take into consideration what the coach builder did after chassis completion. Front end guy needs to”season to taste”.

Reaction score
I installed Sumo Springs bump stops Front & Rear, Hellwig Sway Bars Front & Rear, Bilstein HD shocks front & rear, Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, alignment set to +5 caster.

and after all that I have decided there is only so much you should tack on to the back of a Van Chassis and I think that's 28 ft. Unfortunately I have 31 ft.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Each axle or just a total? Thanks for the idea.
The truck stop scales weigh the axles separately anyway and also give you the total. Steer axle and drive axle.

We used a Roadmaster stabilizer on an F650 with some custom fabbed brackets. We weren’t having a sway issue, but it did help make the steering smoother and track a little straighter on the highway
BD2FD591-37A5-4E47-BE85-0F8CD6A67FC7.jpeg

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
I found a Roadmaster front A/S bar at a great price and threw it on. WOW what a difference.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
The truck stop scales weigh the axles separately anyway and also give you the total. Steer axle and drive axle.

We used a Roadmaster stabilizer on an F650 with some custom fabbed brackets. We weren’t having a sway issue, but it did help make the steering smoother and track a little straighter on the highway
View attachment 948448
I have one of these in a box in the shop along with the pan hard bar for my Jayco Seneca on a Freightliner M2. She is a little less stable than I would like. Hope this fixes it. if it doesn't, then we talk shocks and sway bar.