WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any auto accident law advice--wife got hit :(

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
As I was prepping for my follow up CT scan this AM at Mayo Clinic I get that call that nobody wants to get. A car full of drunk or drugged up teens pulled out in front of my wife on her way to work this AM at 7:30. She ended up in the hospital on a backboard and neck brace. She has no fractures but she is in pain. She was released with pain meds this afternoon and is home now. Fucked up her new Honda Accord real good.:swear

I have never sued anyone in my life but I think I'm going to this time. To see my wife like this really pisses me off and someone needs to pay for their total lack of regard for the safety of others. Any advice or referrals would be appreciated.

BTW, my follow up CT Scans came back with good results so I'm kicking cancer's ass so far..woot:thumbsup

Attachments

• IMAG1700.jpg
    IMAG1700.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 11

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Congrats on your health and sorry to hear about your wife in the accident.

mobboss

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this! i hope she is ok! glad to hear your scan went well also. now as far as the accident, not sure if id sue . most of the time the people you sue just dont have the money, and now you have waisted your . However contact your insurance and stay on top of them. id also contact there insurance. been in a few accidents that were not my fault and the more i was on top of what was going on, the faster it got done. The big piece of this whole mess is going to be the police report. youll have to wait for that. but you can call the police dept and ask for there insurance information. Good luck.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Man I am really sorry, you need this like I need another hole in the head. I don't know who the right attorney is or any of that stuff, I am sure someone will chime in. Here is what I will suggest.
Have her begin keeping a daily log about her pain, lack of sleep, loss of work, inability (if there is any) to do the normal things she does, even common chores like running a vacuum cleaner, etc...if her life is impacted, she needs to document it. My wife was almost killed over 35 years ago when some moron drove up the side of her car as she was merging onto the eastbound 10 from Citrus St. in Covina. She STILL has neck problems, after all those years.
So as much of a hassle as it is, DOCUMENT everything...every doctor visit, mileage, time away from work. Every phone call...who she talks to, how long, etc. from now until the case settles which won't be anytime soon.

Hang in there. I hope she improves, and quickly.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
ON, glad to hear she has no broken bones and your doing well with your condition!

As for sueing them, yes document everything as the others have posted. The key is how much coverage they or their parents have. If your insurance co can find out the limits of their liability, that will tell you the direction to go. If they don't have good coverage your going to spend money and may not get much in return. If the parents have them on their policy they are potentially on the hook too. If they do have good coverage then you may want to lawyer up as the insurance co isn't going to tender the limits without some arm twisting.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about you wife. :(

Lumpy

Reaction score
As I was prepping for my follow up CT scan this AM at Mayo Clinic I get that call that nobody wants to get. A car full of drunk or drugged up teens pulled out in front of my wife on her way to work this AM at 7:30. She ended up in the hospital on a backboard and neck brace. She has no fractures but she is in pain. She was released with pain meds this afternoon and is home now. Fucked up her new Honda Accord real good.:swear

I have never sued anyone in my life but I think I'm going to this time. To see my wife like this really pisses me off and someone needs to pay for their total lack of regard for the safety of others. Any advice or referrals would be appreciated.

BTW, my follow up CT Scans came back with good results so I'm kicking cancer's ass so far..woot:thumbsup

Very Happy to here you are kicking the shit out of cancer. Very happy your wife is alive and at home safe.
As much as you want to vent your anger and questions I would recommend not going any further on any public forum.
PM members you are close to for advice or call them. Anything you post in public is public. Not saying right or wrong, just would not
want any of it used against your quest for justice. I will say a prayer for you both tonight. Be strong! Get mean......rabid dog mean!

Dettom

Reaction score
Just call your insurance agent. If they think they can collect they will sue on your behalf. You won't have to hire a Lawyer. If they don't have insurance, it's because they don't have money. Don't waste your time.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Yes, I definitely do not plan to add any more detail to the public forum than I already have. Just looking for advice. My wife's dad was hit by a drunk and never sued. He ended up suffering from his injuries for the rest of his life and regretted not going after the drunk. I don't want to make a similar mistake. I have no compassion for drunk drivers. If it was an honest mistake a kid made while driving I would never consider bringing suit but this is a totally different situation in my book. Fuck drunk drivers:thumbsdown

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
First, glad your wife is OK. Second, awesome you are kicking cancer's ass. Third, what FBT said, plus I have a great lawyer that I actually trust (believe it or not) if you decide to lawyer up. He specializes in auto accident.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Tell your wife to not tell the other insurance company a word until you hire a good attorney. Call and ask your friends for a referral to an attorney.

hulihan

Reaction score

I have a really good attorney, I got tboned by a Prius March 6th and we are suing , and have filed a lawsuit, he represented my company when we had a bad accident a few years ago, if you want his number, he is in Glendale , PM me and I will get his contact info

Spudsbud

Reaction score
His only fees should be 1/3 of the settlement. No other costs at all... IF he accepts the case.
Cut & dry from what you've told us.
Their ins co will want to settle out of court.
Poor woman, wronged, injured while her husband is at the Mayo ???
Jury will be in tears adding zeros to the award offer.... & their ins co knows it.
Any kind of lasting? permanent injury or pain. 6 figures easily. $$$
Lawyer want $$$$ up front ? Retainer ??? Find another lawyer.

been there, done that.
YMMV JM2C

C-2

Reaction score
It's kind of like wsuwhr's deal - chick living in a trailer in Anza. Shit.

Anyhow, get the info on them. If nothing comes through with insurance, then we can always take a look first, to see if it's even worth your time. I'll help you out :) Because, you better believe any personal injury attorney will say you have a case; if anything, because they'll be getting paid for sure. they take cases first, then ask questions later. :eek

DrHW

Reaction score
"I'm kicking cancer's ass so far" Great job with that!

Drunk drivers suck... :(

poncho

Reaction score
I have nothing of value to add just wanted to say if you are kicking cancer's that is wonderful.
Hope you're wife is okay..."keep on truckin"